Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 30,267Posts
    • 35,820Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 8:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 9
    • rixxin
    • By rixxin 3rd Oct 16, 5:55 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    rixxin
    Hey all,

Success!

Retentions call back within a week after giving 30 days notice.

Deal was a bill cut from £75 to £49, with an upgrade from 150 MB to 200 MB, and free calls on the landline (which I don't use). I pushed for the new TiVo, but was told it's not available, and he wouldn't commit to securing me one when it is released.
    • davidgmmafan
    • By davidgmmafan 3rd Oct 16, 6:12 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    davidgmmafan
    My letter has just arrived so my notice will be going in as soon I can bear to listen to the hold music. Tried the other day and gave up :/
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
    • den169
    • By den169 4th Oct 16, 9:07 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    den169
    No worries Den169!

But be careful, even though you call record it will not stand up in court or anywhere, as you do not have the agents permission to record them.

Virgins policy is if you ask for permission the agent is to refuse and end the call or for you to end the recording.
    Originally posted by JB162
    Well iv'e recorded every conversation with Virgin for the past 3 years.And told them i am recording not one has refused they have all let me record the conversation.So i think your information is wrong.
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 4th Oct 16, 12:05 PM
    • 6,492 Posts
    • 82,153 Thanks
    bossymoo
    I've called them today, and used options 4 & 5 as suggested.

I've been paying about £63pcm for 70mbs, TV L and phone M, and had the notice about the price increase.

They've offered me 100mbs, line rental and weekend calls, plus the free to view channels for £43 (this includes the Nov increase)

I know it's not the cheapest, we probably could get away with a broadband only deal somewhere, but this way I can be a bit lazy, keep my TiVo box and everything already recorded on it, and not faff about changing numbers and so on.

Quite happy with that and will review in 12 months.
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 9 - #91 - £150 so far
    • Marcio45
    • By Marcio45 4th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Marcio45
    Just gave notice to mine. I was already on a promotional deal of £21.50 for small broadband, and it was going up by £3. I called to cancel and they offered £22.50 for 100mbs internet for 6 months.
    Not that happy with virgin broadband. Peak hours the internet goes slow and its really bad for online gaming (wired). On top of that their router is proper bad. The signal stuggles to get to the next room.
    So my notice is in and have already booked instalation of BT fibre. 52mb download and 10mbs upload that i should easily get as i am not that far from the exchange. And fibre is known to be better for gaming. Considering cashback offers and a spending card on offer, it will average at just over £17 a month for BT fibre.
    Now just dreading if BT gets it wrong... they are quite famous for messing up. Its a risk... but wait and see
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 5th Oct 16, 12:23 AM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Hey all,

Success!

Retentions call back within a week after giving 30 days notice.
    Originally posted by rixxin
    Mine is ending on the 10th Oct, and no callback

I may have to do the callback myself to check if cancel is going ahead. I have nothing lined up and don't want to either.
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 5th Oct 16, 3:34 PM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    latecomer
    Remember you can always phone back and cancel the cancellation but of course then you lose the right to cancel for the price increase as you will be beyond the cut off date for that.

Thankfully our package end in January so I dont have long to wait until I can play the cancellation game again if I'm not successful this time round.
    • theshoefairy
    • By theshoefairy 5th Oct 16, 8:05 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    theshoefairy
    Virgin didn't call back, as far as I know anyway. Switched to Sky, was installed yesterday. I'm Happy
    • bignred05
    • By bignred05 5th Oct 16, 9:00 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    bignred05
    I've had the increase letter, been on to cancel
    was offered a deal to stay, not good enough though
    (from a price rise to £47 offered £38then £35 for 6 months)
    for basic TV with Tivo, 50GB and weekend calls
    had a call on Monday on my Mobile (in work) told them I couldn't talk
    they asked when to call back I said after 5.00pm, was told they would call
    still no call though
    Last edited by bignred05; 05-10-2016 at 9:08 PM.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 9th Oct 16, 7:46 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    cjdavies
    no good for me, no callback, I had to phone to confirm services were ending, and it was midnight tonight.

Nothing lined up, and i rely on Internet for everything including TV.

The best they could offer was £30 for 6 months and £33 for 12 months, for 70Mb and Phone M, as BB alone was £31.25, as they put a £10 discount, I had to take it - even said Swalec is £25, could they match and was having none of it.

But even at £30/£33 it's expensive (when I don't even have a phone) compared to other people's deals I have been reading.

Did say there is a 14 day cooling period, but if I can cancel it would be another 30 day notice, but no-one phoned me
    Last edited by cjdavies; 12-10-2016 at 2:21 PM.
    • Rachel_123
    • By Rachel_123 9th Oct 16, 9:12 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Rachel_123
    Phoned up today to do the usual grumble after the price increase letter. Was offered 200mb, xl tv and sky sports for £71.50 which as far as I know is a reasonable deal for the sports package
    • hugonellie
    • By hugonellie 10th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    hugonellie
    I got the exact same package from them - its their standard offer from retention's at the mo - 15 installation fees. dunno why since its a self install :/

I took it and then booked in a date for the new router to arrive - it didnt and they couldnt find that I had accepted the deal on the system. £30 credit off my bill
    • RedDwarf82
    • By RedDwarf82 12th Oct 16, 1:02 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    RedDwarf82
    I'm on 70 Mbps BB only for £23.25 until March (last week I got an extra £3 discount for 6 months to avoid the recent £3 increase), without any fixed term. So I'm hoping the weekly email shows some great offer during the next 6 months, so I am able to haggle a new 12 months fixed term for the same or less.

I must say my bill is a bit strange. It says the price is £28.25 (this is before the recent £3 increase), minus a £5 loyalty discount. I have no idea where that £28.25 comes from, I'm quite sure it was higher for new clients.
    Originally posted by RedDwarf82
    So I told them about the Sky Fibre Broadband offer in MSE and they offered me... something worse than what I already had (more expensive, and lowering my speed). So I started the switch, which I would have been happy to do if there would have been the need.
    It took a while, but retentions finally called (from 0800 052 0980) and matched the "£17/month for 12 months" (literal quote), leaving me with 70 Mbps. Buuuuuuut, when I tried to confirm it in writing in the webchat I was told I was just offered a £6.25 rolling credit. That would have meant £17/month until March, when my previous discounts expired, and £25/month after that. I think it was a honest mistake, the guy in retentions probably didn't notice the other discounts ended in March, but the conversation in the webchat could have been way better.
    Anyway, I called and finally I have been offered £19/month for 12 months plus a £24 credit, making it an average of £17/month (the same than Sky, since I needed to install a new phone line).

Quite bad customer service during the process (had to call once to change the disconnection date), but at the end £17/month for 70 Mbps is a good deal.
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 12th Oct 16, 1:40 PM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    latecomer
    My last call with CS had a similar issue - I was offered a deal of £28 for 6 months followed by £31 for the next 6. I queried whether that was for exactly what I currently have and was told yes. Then he set it up and when he came back I just asked to clarify that this did include line rental for the 12 months and turns out it didn't. He wasn't happy when I said that its not the same as I currently have and that I wanted to cancel this new deal and then put in my cancellation for the old deal.

Fingers crossed for a better deal tonight when retentions call back.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 12th Oct 16, 2:18 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    cjdavies
    So I told them about the Sky Fibre Broadband offer in MSE and they offered me... something worse than what I already had (more expensive, and lowering my speed). So I started the switch, which I would have been happy to do if there would have been the need.
    It took a while, but retentions finally called (from 0800 052 0980) and matched the "£17/month for 12 months" (literal quote), leaving me with 70 Mbps. Buuuuuuut, when I tried to confirm it in writing in the webchat I was told I was just offered a £6.25 rolling credit. That would have meant £17/month until March, when my previous discounts expired, and £25/month after that. I think it was a honest mistake, the guy in retentions probably didn't notice the other discounts ended in March, but the conversation in the webchat could have been way better.
    Anyway, I called and finally I have been offered £19/month for 12 months plus a £24 credit, making it an average of £17/month (the same than Sky, since I needed to install a new phone line).

Quite bad customer service during the process (had to call once to change the disconnection date), but at the end £17/month for 70 Mbps is a good deal.
    Originally posted by RedDwarf82
    How are getting getting these prices , see my post (not aimed at you).
    • darkcloudi
    • By darkcloudi 12th Oct 16, 4:45 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    darkcloudi
    My package:

SuperFibre50
    TV M
    Phone XL
    Caller Display

Currently paying £29 (exc Line Rental as Paid in Advance up to Jan 2017) also does not include the 2.50 increase I am having to pay from next month.

Same package above includes increase being offered £27 for 12 months, been told f I wait till December they may able to offer a better deal with the new Tivo V6 box. So i'm waiting till then.

Thought the above may help someone.
    • leew
    • By leew 12th Oct 16, 5:35 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    leew
    How are getting getting these prices , see my post (not aimed at you).
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    Making them up just kidding.

I was offered £22.25 for 6mths then £25.25 for 6mths.

Currently paying £27.75 raising to £30.74 in Nov.

I told them I'd think about it but having now seen £17 and £19.99 a mth think I'll cancel.
    • RedDwarf82
    • By RedDwarf82 12th Oct 16, 10:10 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    RedDwarf82
    Making them up
    Originally posted by leew
    To be honest, kind of. I think retentions has a tendency to... simplify... their offers, and then you get the surprise of what exactly have they done.
    I got the confirmation email, it was not very clear how what the email said was supposed to be equivalent to "£19/month for 12 months plus £24 credit". I went to the webchat and the guys there spent like 30 minutes trying to understand it themselves!!

What I exactly got is:
    - A 12 months fixed term
    - "Bundle charges total £32.25"
    - "3 off for 6 months"
    - "Loyalty Discount £7 per month for 18 months"
    - "Loyalty Credit £6.25CR" ("rolling credit", a strange concept IMHO... it's just another discount) for 12 months
    - A one-off £24 credit ("Price Match Credit")

Meaning it's £32.25 - £3 - £7 - £6.25 = £16 for 6 months; £19 for months 6th to 12th, and £25.25 for months 12th to 18th. The guy in the webchat reached the conclusion that the £24 credit is to make the £19/month from month 6th to 12th £17/month (but £12 would have been enough...)
    Meaning that, taking into account the credit, I got something slightly better. £15.50/month in average for the first 12 months.... and then £25.25/month for 6 extra months in which I am contract free, which will be handy when I negotiate the next discount.
    Last edited by RedDwarf82; 19-10-2016 at 9:02 PM.
    • leew
    • By leew 13th Oct 16, 3:15 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    leew
    Interesting ways Virgin have in coming to a figure!

Does anyone know If it's worth me rejecting their offer in the hope they contact me again to make me a better one??

Risky I know but have people cancelled then accepted a better offer than first given?

In two minds
    • bignred05
    • By bignred05 13th Oct 16, 7:46 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    bignred05
    I've had the increase letter, been on to cancel
    was offered a deal to stay, not good enough though
    (from a price rise to £47 offered £38then £35 for 6 months)
    for basic TV with Tivo, 50GB and weekend calls
    had a call on Monday on my Mobile (in work) told them I couldn't talk
    they asked when to call back I said after 5.00pm, was told they would call
    still no call though
    Originally posted by bignred05
    Result
    had my call from Retentions
    was offered
    100mg Broadband (up from 50mg)
    TV (M package)
    Phone (weekend calls)
    new Super Hub 3 Router
    new Tivo Box
    all for £25 a month (for 12 months) he said it should be £50
    ohh and no activation fee (said it was £14.99)

I snapped his hand off, well pleased

so basiclly I got the same package as i had before with 50mg increase, a new Tivo box and a new super Hub 3 for £25, when with the increase it wouldd of been £47
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

332Posts Today

1,382Users online

Martin's Twitter