Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 29,946Posts
    • 35,457Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 8:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 7
    • dondhain
    • By dondhain 18th Sep 16, 10:29 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    dondhain
    I'm out of contract with virgin but I have noticed they apply 18 month discounts which means when you come out of contract...you still have a further 6 months of discount. I have tried to cancel and get a better deal but they tell me that until the discount doesnt come off the account, they cant offer better deals - is this true? Should i still try my luck? Discount is on till January.

Its quite a clever thing Virgin have done because it also means for 6 months i will be paying the full line rental (whereas for 12 months i usually pay the line rental upfront using the line rental saver scheme)
    • katies mum
    • By katies mum 19th Sep 16, 8:38 AM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    katies mum
    Just extended it for an extra 7 days all he asked was why I wanted to extend it? Just said waiting for installation from my new provider.
    • sajag83
    • By sajag83 21st Sep 16, 3:55 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sajag83
    renewed for another 12 months
    Just called VM.

Currently on Large TV
    50 MB broadband
    asian mela
    talk unlimited Phone
    Caller display
    Anonymous call blocking
    was £76 a month with £8 discount

contract expired this month and it went up to £84 a month

Called and said that I am out of contract. What is the best you can offer

She offered:

Full House TV
    VIVID 200 Broadband
    Talk More Anytime
    Tivo Box
    Asian Mela
    Caller Display
    Anonymous Caller Rejection

all for £75 a month on 12 month contract + 14.99 activation fee applied to next month bill
    • mikeizz
    • By mikeizz 22nd Sep 16, 8:34 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    mikeizz
    Cancelled my package which was going be close to £100 as have tv xl , 200mb broadband and medium phone package.

Got phone call today and the best they could offer was £57 , which is not too bad as that included line rental also.

I am still cancelling though as been offered a far better deal with Sky
    • letmefree
    • By letmefree 22nd Sep 16, 8:11 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    letmefree
    Finally got my call back from retentions. I was going to cancel at least TV but I caved and took the deal.

For TV XL, 150 Broadband, Free anytime phone calls to landline and mobile and 6 months free Netflix and 2nd virgin box for the bedroom.
    £52 for 4 months then £60 for the remaining 8 months - this includes line rental.

This was going to cost me around £80 a month without the Netflix including the price increase next month so I am happy.
    Last edited by letmefree; 22-09-2016 at 8:15 PM.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 23rd Sep 16, 12:33 PM
    • 13,419 Posts
    • 52,668 Thanks
    Judi
    has anyone had any success in haggling down the length of the contract?
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • liviboy
    • By liviboy 23rd Sep 16, 1:34 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    liviboy
    has anyone had any success in haggling down the length of the contract?
    Originally posted by Judi
    Hardly required...in the 2.5 years I had Virgin I had 3 opportunities to cancel mid contract due to price rises...so I wouldn't worry too much haha!

Seriously though my last renewal as on a 6 month minimum, 12 month deal with 18months of discounts added.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 23rd Sep 16, 8:11 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Still waiting for my call, ends 10/10/16, I just want 50Mb Broadband, I don't want to pay £31.25 which they offered on my call to them when others are getting much more services and not costing much more than mine!

Logging into Virgin to see if they have my mobile number (hope they not using the house phone number they give me years ago, don't have a house phone anymore).
    • easy
    • By easy 24th Sep 16, 6:34 PM
    • 2,191 Posts
    • 2,519 Thanks
    easy
    Right here goes
    we have the Big Easy package here costs us £52.53 per month, and just received the letter to say that it's going up £3.49 per month from Nov.

Talk unlimited (needed cos elderly mother & disabled sister both live 100+ miles away, & no mobile signal in this house)
    TV size M (basically the same as freeview) and a Tivo rental - Tivo really frustrating cos it's recently gone really slow
    Vivid 100 fibre - we're all 3 internet users esp 17 y.o. son, so downgrading wouldn't go down well.

There is no other option for fast BB here, only VM cabling in the area.
    So, what are my chances of getting some sort of deal ? Either a price reduction, or at least chuck us in the next level of TV for no extra money.

I've been holding on the phone to the CS line for 23 mins ...
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
    • fondue
    • By fondue 25th Sep 16, 11:37 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    fondue
    My deal....
    Talk Weekends
    TV Size M+
    1 additional v Box
    V Hd Monthly Fee
    Tivo Monthly Fee
    100 MB Broadband

Big Bang Bundle Total - £41.49

I pay line rental in advance.

They have offered me £34.50 for 6 mths then £37.50 for another 6 mths and £30 off next bill.

I reckon, I can get it less for that.

What do you reckon?
    • davidgmmafan
    • By davidgmmafan 25th Sep 16, 1:46 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 504 Thanks
    davidgmmafan
    Still no sign of a letter
    Generally in the past I've not had any issues with these. Surely they would've all gone out now? I've not recieved one. Very strange, I haven't had an email either, but I'm not sure if it is just broadband only customers who would get notified this way?
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
    • Marcio45
    • By Marcio45 25th Sep 16, 3:01 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Marcio45
    Same here. Not got a letter or email yet. And i wanted to take the opportunity to cancel. Virgin speeds are ok but it is really rubish for gaming. Particulary peak hours.
    Will wait a few more days and then give them a ring. Just in case they say they already sent me a letter and cut off date for cancelling without penalty is the 30th of september.
    • anderson8
    • By anderson8 25th Sep 16, 7:25 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,038 Thanks
    anderson8
    Requested to cancel my current package as I'm out of contract, has shot up to £52 p/m for
    tv M
    50mb
    Eve/ weekend calls

I was offered the same for £46 when I put in my cancellation which is shocking considering the player bundle for new customers is £31( plus a TiVo box, I still have v+ box)

What kind of offers should I hold out for from retentions? Had a look through this thread but prices and bundles are massively varying
    • Jaffa cake
    • By Jaffa cake 25th Sep 16, 7:32 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Jaffa cake
    I called VM today, as yesterday a letter arrived saying my monthly DD was going up 3.49 per month, on top of my normal monthly payment of 19.99 per month.
    So the monthly bill was going to be 23.48.
    For that I get free phone, and 50 Meg fibre broard band.

So on the phone, she agrees to give me a 3.00 monthly credit for 6 months, even though my contract ends in 5 months.

Win, win,
    Last edited by Jaffa cake; 25-09-2016 at 7:39 PM.
    • Jaffa cake
    • By Jaffa cake 25th Sep 16, 7:36 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Jaffa cake
    Still waiting for my call, ends 10/10/16, I just want 50Mb Broadband, I don't want to pay £31.25 which they offered on my call to them when others are getting much more services and not costing much more than mine!

Logging into Virgin to see if they have my mobile number (hope they not using the house phone number they give me years ago, don't have a house phone anymore).
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    You should get the weekend phone, and 50 Meg for 20.48.
    Not a penny more.

Bette
    • Jorell00
    • By Jorell00 25th Sep 16, 7:45 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Jorell00
    I have xl, no sports or movies, and xl broadband and phone paying £95 per month, and was expecting a real argument about discount. But they immediately offered me a loyalty discount to £80. I probably could have argued for more off. But was a bit shocked the offered me discount straight away. Next time I'll argue and threaten to leave and see if that gets me know if a better deal.
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 26th Sep 16, 10:58 AM
    • 4,545 Posts
    • 2,590 Thanks
    latecomer
    As a general rule if they offer you a deal immediately then you can usually get a much better one by starting the cancellation and waiting for teh retentions team to call back. But that can be a painful process and involve several calls etc. If you are happy with the deal then thats all that matters
    • andrewm1981
    • By andrewm1981 27th Sep 16, 2:08 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    andrewm1981
    I think I had a fair success;

I was on:

XL TV (lots of trashy programs I never watch)
    200mb Bband (Really no need for that)
    basic phone, plus rental. I was paying £73/month.

Now I'm on:

M+ TV (still lots of unnecessary TV, but far less)
    50mb Bband (suitable for me, and quicker than the competition)
    £30 credit on my account
    6 months free Netflix ( I'm into my boxsets)
    £43/month

Saving £390 / year, only spent 10 mins on the phone. Played a little hardball, rejected the first offer of £47/month, and then £43/month, and got the £30 credit. I then suggested the netflix, which he went away and checked, and offered me. I was actually happy to leave Virgin, but I think the deal is good and I'm happy
    • fondue
    • By fondue 27th Sep 16, 4:51 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    fondue
    Rang back again.....

Talk Weekends
    TV Size M+
    1 additional v Box
    V Hd Monthly Fee
    Tivo Monthly Fee
    100 MB Broadband

Big Bang Bundle Total - £41.49

I pay line rental in advance.

---

Got rid of box upstairs as I don't use

Talk Weekends
    TV Size M+
    Tivo Box
    Tivo Monthly Fee
    100 MB Broadband

Big Bang Bundle Total - £26 (6mths) then £29 (6mths)

Need to renew line rental in Jan

Happy with that.
    • Northern Soulie
    • By Northern Soulie 27th Sep 16, 6:20 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Northern Soulie
    Can I ask what you mean by free phone.....do you pay line rental?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

2,464Users online

Martin's Twitter