Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 32,241Posts
    • 37,947Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 8:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 45
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 4th Jan 18, 5:10 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    Does anyone have any recent experience of good deals for bb only ?

I'm:
    - out of contract
    - previously on £26 per month for 50mb fibre broadband only
    - VM offered £29 per month for 50mb or £1 extra for 100mb
    - i gave my months notice

Does anyone have a feel for whether they'll go lower ?

Also i did wonder whether you're more likely to get a better deal if you're in their system as having given notice ? never had much luck with getting a callback from retentions as I think someone on here effectively said you tend not to when you're on fibre.
    Originally posted by daveandgem

Cancel contract and wait for the out bound team to call you, do not bother with the plebs you can call. You have to wait for them to call you.

I'm paying £18.25 for 100MB...ONLY after id instructed BT to take over the line the call came and the haggling started.

Then if they beat the BT offer simply cancel with in the 14 days cooling off period.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • doe808
    • By doe808 4th Jan 18, 5:18 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    doe808
    Currently got the Full House (XL) package with Vivid 200 fiber option broadband, talk weekends and telephone rental for £35 per month. About to jump to £79.99.

Going to call them tonight to see what they can come up with,
    Total - £340.00

wins : £7.50 Virgin Vouchers, Nikon Coolpixs S550 x 2, I-Tunes Vouchers, £5 Esprit Voucher, Big Snap 2 (x2), Alaska Seafood book
    • funkygiraffe
    • By funkygiraffe 5th Jan 18, 1:59 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    funkygiraffe
    Was on 50Mb for £18 due to go up to £33. Asked what they could offer at beginning of notice period (30.11.17)and was offered capped for £15. Refused and cancelled. Got call and accepted uncapped for £15.
    Originally posted by drphila
    Wow this is basement bottom price. How hard did you have to push them to get it down to this? And how long after you processed cancellation did you receive the outbound retentions call?
    • drphila
    • By drphila 5th Jan 18, 4:29 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    drphila
    Wow this is basement bottom price. How hard did you have to push them to get it down to this? And how long after you processed cancellation did you receive the outbound retentions call?
    Originally posted by funkygiraffe
    They called within 2 days. Perhaps I should clarify that I am paying £15 equiv. per month. (£18/month with 2 months free). Didn't have to push very hard at all - don't think I even had to mention competitors. But my data usage over the previous 12 months had been relatively low at around 30Gb/month (but it is now much higher because all my TV now comes via streaming)
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 5th Jan 18, 6:48 AM
    • 2,396 Posts
    • 4,893 Thanks
    VoucherMan
    Originally posted by funkygiraffe
    Not really, I'm still getting mine for free
    • funkygiraffe
    • By funkygiraffe 5th Jan 18, 1:34 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    funkygiraffe
    They called within 2 days. Perhaps I should clarify that I am paying £15 equiv. per month. (£18/month with 2 months free). Didn't have to push very hard at all - don't think I even had to mention competitors. But my data usage over the previous 12 months had been relatively low at around 30Gb/month (but it is now much higher because all my TV now comes via streaming)
    Originally posted by drphila
    Thanks! Will have to try the same technique when I'm out of contract as I'm paying £36/month (already discounted) for a line and 100mbps
    • daveandgem
    • By daveandgem 5th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    daveandgem
    Any suggestions how to ensure VM have your up to date mobile number for Retentions to hopefully call on ? I set my account up ages ago and I think my number changed now.
    • hpmann
    • By hpmann 5th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    hpmann
    My deal is about to end for broadband so I called them and cancelled, best they could do was £24 for 100mg which I declined after reading the comments on this thread - will be interesting to see if I get a call from retentions... lol
    • JasperAlex
    • By JasperAlex 5th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    JasperAlex
    Any suggestions how to ensure VM have your up to date mobile number for Retentions to hopefully call on ? I set my account up ages ago and I think my number changed now.
    I changed this quite easily on webchat. Only took a few minutes
    • doe808
    • By doe808 5th Jan 18, 4:49 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    doe808
    Just a reminder that you must cancel your contract. As above, I am jumping to £79.99 shortly. Best they could do over the cancellation chat was apply £50 credit over the first six months (not per month).

Just restated that the current BT deals are far superior.

Cancelled and await my call back.
    Total - £340.00

wins : £7.50 Virgin Vouchers, Nikon Coolpixs S550 x 2, I-Tunes Vouchers, £5 Esprit Voucher, Big Snap 2 (x2), Alaska Seafood book
    • Anon
    • By Anon 6th Jan 18, 9:52 AM
    • 12,205 Posts
    • 139,578 Thanks
    Anon
    Just a reminder that you must cancel your contract. As above, I am jumping to £79.99 shortly. Best they could do over the cancellation chat was apply £50 credit over the first six months (not per month).

Just restated that the current BT deals are far superior.

Cancelled and await my call back.
    Originally posted by doe808
    This is the approach to take - CANCEL. Donít just threaten to cancel. Donít ask what deals they have and then come off the phone to think about it. When your contract is up, CANCEL. This starts a 30 day notice period. Then await the callback.

In the vast majority of good deals reported here and elsewhere it has come from cancelling them awaiting the outbound retentionís team to call back. The inbound team have some discounts available but they are in most cases not the best deal you could achieve.

An advanced technique (if your credit file can take it) is to apply to BT including a home line transfer as this adds another flag on your account that you are serious (as they notify Virgin) and escalates to a different outbound team.

You can cancel the BT before install (no charges) and if it comes to it can cancel your Virgin cancellation if they havenít phoned back.
    • daveandgem
    • By daveandgem 6th Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    daveandgem
    I changed this quite easily on webchat. Only took a few minutes
    Originally posted by JasperAlex
    Worked well, thanks.
    • daveandgem
    • By daveandgem 6th Jan 18, 11:35 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    daveandgem
    This is the approach to take - CANCEL. Donít just threaten to cancel. Donít ask what deals they have and then come off the phone to think about it. When your contract is up, CANCEL. This starts a 30 day notice period. Then await the callback.
    Originally posted by Anon
    Anyone have a feel for why some people do / don't get a call back?
    • JasperAlex
    • By JasperAlex 6th Jan 18, 3:14 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    JasperAlex

An advanced technique (if your credit file can take it) is to apply to BT including a home line transfer as this adds another flag on your account that you are serious (as they notify Virgin) and escalates to a different outbound team.

You can cancel the BT before install (no charges) and if it comes to it can cancel your Virgin cancellation if they havenít phoned back.
    Originally posted by Anon
    Why would applying to BT affect your credit file? Also, does anyone know whether some of the upfront BT fees e.g. current £9.99 delivery charge for the router can be added to the first bill or is it literally payable on order and if so, can these be refunded?
    • Anon
    • By Anon 6th Jan 18, 6:31 PM
    • 12,205 Posts
    • 139,578 Thanks
    Anon
    Why would applying to BT affect your credit file? Also, does anyone know whether some of the upfront BT fees e.g. current £9.99 delivery charge for the router can be added to the first bill or is it literally payable on order and if so, can these be refunded?
    Originally posted by JasperAlex
    Applying for any financial agreement is shown on your credit file - applying for too many services/financial products in a short space of time can impact on your ability to apply for other services (see MSE articles).

Yes you can add the delivery to your first bill, so it is not payable if you cancel before install/delivery.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 6th Jan 18, 6:33 PM
    • 12,205 Posts
    • 139,578 Thanks
    Anon
    Anyone have a feel for why some people do / don't get a call back?
    The impression you get is most people get the call back - there doesn’t seem to be any pattern for those that don’t (not contract value or length of time with them).
    Last edited by Anon; 06-01-2018 at 10:27 PM.
    • infil50
    • By infil50 7th Jan 18, 12:31 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    infil50
    I'm in the same position. Paying £30 for 200mb full house massive increase coming my way end of February. Doubt very much I'll get anything like the same deal.
    • hpmann
    • By hpmann 7th Jan 18, 3:59 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    hpmann
    My deal is about to end for broadband so I called them and cancelled, best they could do was £24 for 100mg which I declined after reading the comments on this thread - will be interesting to see if I get a call from retentions... lol
    Originally posted by hpmann
    Got the call yesterday and was offered 100mb for £28 which I declined, so was offered 50mb for £23 with two months free which I accepted, so works out at just over £19 - still waiting for the confirmation email but the credit has already been applied to my account
    • daveandgem
    • By daveandgem 7th Jan 18, 4:04 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    daveandgem
    Hpmann, great. They called you within one day then ?
    • hpmann
    • By hpmann 7th Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    hpmann
    Hpmann, great. They called you within one day then ?
    I cancelled Thursday evening, Iím glad they did because VM is my only real option where I live
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

3,606Users online

Martin's Twitter