Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 31,952Posts
    • 37,689Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 8:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 43
    • AnyaLord
    • By AnyaLord 1st Dec 17, 7:45 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AnyaLord
    I'm not sure I'm in the right thread but I'm having some issues with virgin media. My bill came in at £50.90 so I called them up to try and haggle with them. I managed to get a deal with faster broadband with a new router delivered for free for £46. I forgot to ask them something so called back and while I was there I ask to confirm my new deal. Lucky I did as the person I spoke to told me it wasn't £46 a month I'd be paying it would be £61. I've tried disputing it with them as it was their rep that made the mistake by not taking off the discount, but they wouldn't budge except to put my bill back to £50.45. Is there anyway I can get them back down to £46 that I was originally offered???
    Thanks in advance
    • Silvester89
    • By Silvester89 6th Dec 17, 8:05 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Silvester89
    We've been with Virgin for about 2 years now. No one else provides fibre broadband in our area, so it's a choice of Virgin or a fairly basic ADSL Line.

I could have saved a chunk of money with ADSL, but I'm a heavy user and I'm not sure I could have coped going back to ADSL. So I decided I would try my luck with the retention team.

Our package consists of:

Vivid 100 Optical Fibre
    Weekend calls

We were previously paying about £34 a month. I called the retention team and told them I had read of several people on MSE getting far more competitive deals and I would like them to match one of the deals on my list.

The agent in retentions offered to knock it down to £32/month with phone or £31/month without.

When I asked why others on MSE had been offered much better deals, he said that because we had a discount last year the offer wasn't as generous this year.

Not happy with the offer, I told him to put the cancellation through and I would await a call back from the outbound retentions team. At this point the agent told me I would only get a call back from that team if I ported my number elsewhere.

I asked the agent to leave my account as it was and dropped an email to the CEO asking why I'd have to commit to signing up to another provider to get a better deal. Mainly because I was fairly confident the retention agent was telling porkies to try and get me to agree to his deal.

4 days later I got a call back from the complaints team saying the best they could offer was £27/month. Again I said this wasn't competitive enough. I asked of I could speak to the outbound retention/loyalty team and I was put straight through.

The lady who answered started looking through deals, said she had found one then put the phone down on me! I waited a few minutes to see if she would bother calling me back - she didn't.

I called back through to complaints and again said £27 was the best they could do. I explained retentions had just found a better deal before rudely hanging up on me and not attempting to call back.

In the end I got them to agree to:

£25/month - 12 month contract
    Vivid 100 Optical Fibre
    Weekend calls

Hopefully in a years time someone else might offer fibre in the area who can offer better service!
    • Silvester89
    • By Silvester89 6th Dec 17, 8:12 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Silvester89
    I'm not sure I'm in the right thread but I'm having some issues with virgin media. My bill came in at £50.90 so I called them up to try and haggle with them. I managed to get a deal with faster broadband with a new router delivered for free for £46. I forgot to ask them something so called back and while I was there I ask to confirm my new deal. Lucky I did as the person I spoke to told me it wasn't £46 a month I'd be paying it would be £61. I've tried disputing it with them as it was their rep that made the mistake by not taking off the discount, but they wouldn't budge except to put my bill back to £50.45. Is there anyway I can get them back down to £46 that I was originally offered???
    Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by AnyaLord
    You could put in your cancellation and wait for a callback. The problem is if you miss the callback or it never happens!

I would ask to log a complaint and ask them to review the call where you was given this advice. If they still don't budge, drop the CEO an email. It can easily be found online.
    Last edited by Silvester89; 06-12-2017 at 9:13 AM.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 6th Dec 17, 8:37 AM
    • 11,900 Posts
    • 136,345 Thanks
    Anon
    Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by AnyaLord
    Call back and put in your cancellation, then wait for the call back. This should secure you the best deal.
    • Phill84
    • By Phill84 12th Dec 17, 7:58 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Phill84
    Was currently on £18 a month for 50mb which was due to end on 24.12.17. Put my notice to cancel a couple of weeks ago and just had a call today offering me the same deal for £19 a month for 12 months. Which I was happy with but I also received an email today saying they were upgrading my existing deal to 100mb for no extra cost or contract. I mentioned this to lady on the phone who said we can still add this to your new contract. So now got 100mb for £19 a month for 12 months ������
    • victor2
    • By victor2 13th Dec 17, 9:31 AM
    • 4,726 Posts
    • 3,145 Thanks
    victor2
    In my experience the reps don't know what they are talking about. I (was) on Superfibre 70 plus anytime phone. Don't really need the download speed, but like the 5Mbps upload speed it gives.
    Negotiated yesterday to move to Vivid 50 and was told that gives 50Mbps download with 5 Mbps upload. Suited me, so went with that plus the phone.
    Realised today the upload had dropped to 3Mbps and confirmed that is the speed provided on their website. Called again, got another rep who said upload will be 5Mbps, or 10% of the download speed.
    When she confirmed her facts were wrong, she tried to convince me I wouldn't notice the diffference between 3 and 5Mbps upload speed.
    Have cancelled yesterday's change and gone with 100Mbps download (6Mbps upload) for now at £41/month including anytime phone. Can cancel within 14 days at no cost. Will look at other fibre offerings in the next 14 days.
    • Goucho
    • By Goucho 13th Dec 17, 10:14 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Goucho
    Need help with my haggling guys ...........

My contract is up tomorrow and my present package is :-

Code:
    V.I.P. Bundle

Phone rental/Anytime
    BB 200MB
    TV Full House XL - 1x Tivo + 1x V6 - Spots HD - Cinema.

£116.15

OK here are my parameters, I "NEED" hi-speed BB but not the rest.

We use Amazon Streaming for Movies/Boxsets etc. so want fastest BB as there are 3 gamers in the house. Also have 4 Tvs in the house that might stream at same time so can't change BB.

We are a household of 4 x mobile phones so no need for a phone line anymore.

As for TV the basic channels will do and I was wondering if I could keep my 2 boxes to view freeview? Is there a charge for using the Tivo function on both boxes? The recording and live pausing is too painful to lose lmao

Thanx in advance peeps
    Last edited by Goucho; 13-12-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 13th Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    • 212 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    We've been with Virgin for about 2 years now. No one else provides fibre broadband in our area, so it's a choice of Virgin or a fairly basic ADSL Line.

I could have saved a chunk of money with ADSL, but I'm a heavy user and I'm not sure I could have coped going back to ADSL. So I decided I would try my luck with the retention team.

Our package consists of:

Vivid 100 Optical Fibre
    Weekend calls

We were previously paying about £34 a month. I called the retention team and told them I had read of several people on MSE getting far more competitive deals and I would like them to match one of the deals on my list.

The agent in retentions offered to knock it down to £32/month with phone or £31/month without.

When I asked why others on MSE had been offered much better deals, he said that because we had a discount last year the offer wasn't as generous this year.

Not happy with the offer, I told him to put the cancellation through and I would await a call back from the outbound retentions team. At this point the agent told me I would only get a call back from that team if I ported my number elsewhere.

I asked the agent to leave my account as it was and dropped an email to the CEO asking why I'd have to commit to signing up to another provider to get a better deal. Mainly because I was fairly confident the retention agent was telling porkies to try and get me to agree to his deal.

4 days later I got a call back from the complaints team saying the best they could offer was £27/month. Again I said this wasn't competitive enough. I asked of I could speak to the outbound retention/loyalty team and I was put straight through.

The lady who answered started looking through deals, said she had found one then put the phone down on me! I waited a few minutes to see if she would bother calling me back - she didn't.

I called back through to complaints and again said £27 was the best they could do. I explained retentions had just found a better deal before rudely hanging up on me and not attempting to call back.

In the end I got them to agree to:

£25/month - 12 month contract
    Vivid 100 Optical Fibre
    Weekend calls

Hopefully in a years time someone else might offer fibre in the area who can offer better service!
    Originally posted by Silvester89
    This is your main mistake..you can speak to retentions,normally bunch of slack jaw terrorsaurus mummy"s boys.

You need to cancel and be prepared to actually leave...then wait for the outbound team to call,sometimes they will and sometimes you luck out.

You wont ever be put through to them...they dont receive calls only make them.

Also very important..Record the phone call,other wise just like me you might agree a deal £18.25 for 150MB broadband and be told a month later when billed four times as much there was never such a deal and even god himself couldn't have agreed to that.

Even after a high level manager reviewed phone calls/notes made by the world and his wife there was no mention of £18.25 and instead XYZ was agreed.

Hmmm oh how CICAS chuckled when they listened to my phone recording of the entire conversation that stated word for word exactly what i said...and strangely enough went against every word Virgin media said,i mean you cant get more blatant lies if you tried.

Result Red faced Virgin...£250 cheque for the hassle and 12 months £18.25 BB.

Anyone with an Android id highly recommend Call recorder Pro from app store...its FREE and works like a dream.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 13th Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    • 4,726 Posts
    • 3,145 Thanks
    victor2
    Hmmm oh how CICAS chuckled when they listened to my phone recording of the entire conversation that stated word for word exactly what i said...and strangely enough went against every word Virgin media said,i mean you cant get more blatant lies if you tried.

Result Red faced Virgin...£250 cheque for the hassle and 12 months £18.25 BB.

Anyone with an Android id highly recommend Call recorder Pro from app store...its FREE and works like a dream.
    Originally posted by Samsung_Note2
    Did you tell them you were recording the call, or was the recording just accepted as presented?
    Thought of doing that myself, but thought they might just hang up if you say you're recording it.
    • smidgey
    • By smidgey 13th Dec 17, 11:20 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    smidgey
    Hey guys. Looking for advice,

Currently have:

TV: Full House TV with V6 box
    Phone: Talk Weekends (not used at all)
    Broadband: Vivid 200mb
    Extras: Sky Cinema

I currently pay £76.75 a month on a promotional 12 month contract which is up next month. Package increases then to £98 a month but been pre warned of a price increase of £3.99 when my current deal ends. So will be £101.99 from mid January.

I phoned cancellations today to say Iím not paying that and they caught me off guard a little saying I can keep the same package as £74.25 which is £2.50 per month less. Or I can upgrade to Vivid 300 for £77.50 which is 75p per month more.

I wasnít expecting them to keep me at my current price. Should I cancel and expect more discount?

The package above is £67 per month to new customers so not that much cheaper but they do get 6 months free Netflix. Has anyone haggled to get that thrown into a rentention deal? I think Iíd take them up on the offer if they threw the Netflix in.

P.S. removing the phone which isnít used or Sky Cinema which I donít watch that often keeps the package at the same price or makes it more expensive
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 14th Dec 17, 1:30 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    Contract will come to end next month with VM - been with them 9 years and would stay with them.

Currently pay - landline 24hrs, bb 70mb = £25 pm (excluding line rental saver = £192.

Total = £41 pm.

I'm sure this isn't a good deal. How can I get a better deal (I always ring retentions every year!)?
    • victor2
    • By victor2 14th Dec 17, 7:29 PM
    • 4,726 Posts
    • 3,145 Thanks
    victor2
    Contract will come to end next month with VM - been with them 9 years and would stay with them.

Currently pay - landline 24hrs, bb 70mb = £25 pm (excluding line rental saver = £192.

Total = £41 pm.

I'm sure this isn't a good deal. How can I get a better deal (I always ring retentions every year!)?
    Originally posted by tazwhoever
    VM don't offer 70Mbps any more, but if you are prepared to drop to 50Mbps, then you should easily get a reduced rate. Be warned though - the upload speed on 70 is currently 5Mbps, on 50, you'll only get 3Mbps. Don'e believe the reps if they tell you it will remain at 5, "because you get 10% of the download speed". Check the documents on VM's site to confirm that.
    I was offered a 50 Mbps service plus anytime phone for £36 after discounts. New 12 month contract, but discounts good for 18 months.
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 14th Dec 17, 8:52 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    VM don't offer 70Mbps any more, but if you are prepared to drop to 50Mbps, then you should easily get a reduced rate. Be warned though - the upload speed on 70 is currently 5Mbps, on 50, you'll only get 3Mbps. Don'e believe the reps if they tell you it will remain at 5, "because you get 10% of the download speed". Check the documents on VM's site to confirm that.
    I was offered a 50 Mbps service plus anytime phone for £36 after discounts. New 12 month contract, but discounts good for 18 months.
    Originally posted by victor2
    I have 'SuperFibre 70' and Anytime phone with Line Rental Saver! I would go down to 50Mbps. Being with them for long time hasn't reduced my costs.

I remember 2 years ago, I paid LRS for year and was paying around £15 pm for the same service (BB and Anytime).
    • sw19
    • By sw19 15th Dec 17, 7:27 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sw19
    Just cancelled after being offered £29/month for 50mb broadband + weekend calls
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,747Posts Today

7,816Users online

Martin's Twitter