Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 31,942Posts
    • 37,677Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 8:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 42
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 21st Nov 17, 5:05 PM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 2,620 Thanks
    latecomer
    I have the same issue with not being able to get any other fibre services so its Virgin or ADSL.

As for the £80 being acceptable - thats really for you to decide. I wouldn't pay that for TV and BB as we dont watch much and 50Mb BB is fine for our needs.

If you put in your cancellation and then you can wait for a call back - I'd have thuoght spending £90-odd per month would make you valuable and worth doing a deal with but you can only try. If you dont get a deal you can always just stay and I'm sure you can get the £80 you were offered.
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 21st Nov 17, 5:06 PM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 2,620 Thanks
    latecomer
    £23 for 100mb BB/phone (196 + 7p/m). Didn't go through cancellations.
    Originally posted by jsinc
    Does that include calls or just line rental?
    • cifpower
    • By cifpower 21st Nov 17, 5:19 PM
    • 6,447 Posts
    • 4,099 Thanks
    cifpower
    Have been on a deal for just 50mb broadband at £18.45pm. This ends in three weeks. Called to cancel last Sunday and was offered 70mb for around £35. Went through with the cancellation.

Had a call from retentions and was offered 70mb for £28. Declined their offer.

I have ordered BT Infinity for £29.99pm (36mb), no activation free, free new line install, £100 reward card and £75 Quidco cashback. Averages out at £20.27pm for the minimum term.

• jsinc
    • By jsinc 21st Nov 17, 7:37 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    jsinc
    Does that include calls or just line rental?
    Originally posted by latecomer
    Talk weekends, not all calls. Although I don't actually have a home telephone.
    • matty00721
    • By matty00721 22nd Nov 17, 2:38 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    matty00721
    Hi guys,

Was just wondering whether you can haggle a better deal while in contract? I forget how long I’ve got left but know it’s quite a while.

I am currently paying £58 per month for 200mb BB, player tv and talk weekends. I think you’ll agree this is WELL over the odds. I’ve seen people on 300 BB and full house tv for £35!.

I have never faulted Virgin and had zero problems with their service, I get a constant 200mb+ connection and perfect tv, but it’s just getting too expensive for what I’m getting. Would love sports and cinema etc. No doubt it will rise to over £60 p/m soon which is outrageous.

Any chance of haggling when still in contract?
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 22nd Nov 17, 10:59 AM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 2,620 Thanks
    latecomer
    Pretty sure you've got no chance I'm afraid - you should have use the recent price increase to negotiate a better deal.
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 22nd Nov 17, 11:01 AM
    • 6,790 Posts
    • 56,060 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    Virgin.

So, My bill went up by £24pm so I called on 1st Nov to cancel (they offered rubbish deal).

(for the past 2-3yrs I've cancelled and they've called with decent offer which I then took).

This time, about two days later I had a missed call from 'unknown' on my mobile - could have been them?

Not heard anything since. No calls, not even an email to confirm my disconnection.

So I have 8 days to get something sorted. Would prefer to stay with VM really...

I was thinking of calling BT/Sky to ask what their very best deal would be, then calling VM again.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 22nd Nov 17, 11:11 AM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 2,620 Thanks
    latecomer
    I finally managed to get the call from Virgin after about 4-5 missed calls. Spoke to a nice guy and just explained that £57 for the basic offering was far too much. He explained that there was no way he could do a deal like last year (£16 for BB, TV and anytime calls including line rental). A short while later we agreed on £29 per month for :

100Mb BB (upgrade from 50/70Mb)
    TV player (basic one)
    phone including anytime calls
    New Tivo box
    new superhub

Wasn't much haggling and I'm sure I could have pushed for some more but really wasn't in the mood and I know this is better than I can get from anyone else.
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 22nd Nov 17, 11:14 AM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 2,620 Thanks
    latecomer
    Virgin.

So, My bill went up by £24pm so I called on 1st Nov to cancel (they offered rubbish deal).

(for the past 2-3yrs I've cancelled and they've called with decent offer which I then took).

This time, about two days later I had a missed call from 'unknown' on my mobile - could have been them?

Not heard anything since. No calls, not even an email to confirm my disconnection.

So I have 8 days to get something sorted. Would prefer to stay with VM really...

I was thinking of calling BT/Sky to ask what their very best deal would be, then calling VM again.
    Originally posted by fuzzgun19
    Definitely worth a try - I'm not a big spender but I always get multiple calls from the retentions team. I did get a confirmation email for the cancellation.

Make sure they have your mobile number on the account. you can always call to check whether your cancellation is confirmed as you haven't had an email confirmation and use that as an excuse to haggle. Trouble is the best deals come from the retentions team and I believe they need to phone you i.e. you cant get transferred to them
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 22nd Nov 17, 12:23 PM
    • 6,790 Posts
    • 56,060 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    Definitely worth a try - I'm not a big spender but I always get multiple calls from the retentions team. I did get a confirmation email for the cancellation.

Make sure they have your mobile number on the account. you can always call to check whether your cancellation is confirmed as you haven't had an email confirmation and use that as an excuse to haggle. Trouble is the best deals come from the retentions team and I believe they need to phone you i.e. you cant get transferred to them
    Originally posted by latecomer
    Just called them, they didn't want to know. Just confirmed the date and said I should get an email in the next few days.

If I sign up to BT or Sky, is there any cooling off period, could I change my mind?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 22nd Nov 17, 1:59 PM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 2,620 Thanks
    latecomer
    you should have a cooling off period but best to check. I have had decent deals from the cancellations team previously - it depends who you get and what you are looking for. Knowing what you can get from BT/Sky etc is important as the cancellation teams know whats on offer so there is no point making stuff up
    • krisb1701d
    • By krisb1701d 22nd Nov 17, 3:33 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    krisb1701d
    I'm a new customer, thinking of going for the player bundle at £30 for the 100mb broadband. Does anyone know how i can get the V6 box, as it comes with the old tivo box. I see a lot of existing customers being able to upgrade to it for £20.
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 23rd Nov 17, 4:09 PM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 2,620 Thanks
    latecomer
    you could phone or do online chat to ask if its possible to get the V6 instead of the standard box?
    • sw19
    • By sw19 24th Nov 17, 6:01 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sw19
    Talk weekends, not all calls. Although I don't actually have a home telephone.
    Originally posted by jsinc
    What deal were you on prior? That's a great deal I would be happy to take that
    • wilson1973
    • By wilson1973 26th Nov 17, 7:51 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    wilson1973
    I cancel then ignore the calls for a few weeks I know it will be them ringing as nobody else rings the landline,I then answer it in he last few days before cancellation due.

Last year my package cost I think about £33 for (just checked)calls weekend/tivo box basic/superfibre50 BB I range to cancel and did so then waited about 3 weeks tom answer the call to them and they knocked it down to £22 for a year,but this year they have said they could do £22 but I would have to pay line rental of £200 in one go,Last year they didn't charge this it was ordered but came through as a zero,as they had tricked the computer or something like that,I thought to myself well that's crap that still makes £40 a month and said no cancel it
    Last edited by wilson1973; 27-11-2017 at 7:52 AM.
    • nicknameless
    • By nicknameless 29th Nov 17, 2:04 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    nicknameless
    So I've cancelled my VM services.

I enquired with sky regarding cost for broadly equivalent which with an intro offer comes in at about £73 per month with installation etc. factored in.

VM have rung and offered £90 per month (I think it was outgoing - 0800 number).

Not good enough. Will go through with the cancellation if need be but would much rather not have the hassle and stick with VM.

Am I likely to get any further calls or should I start making alternative arrangements now?

Cheers.
    • lounick
    • By lounick 29th Nov 17, 8:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lounick
    Virgin Media Student Contract - ASA decision
    My son took out a virgin media student 9 month contract but had trouble leaving the contract. I complained to the ASA about the bad way the contact was advertised and the ASA upheld my complaint resulting in virgin media having to change their claim that it is a nine month student contract to what they are now calling a 12 month rolling contract reduced for nine months (which I do find rather amusing). My problem is I now believe because of this proven misadvertising, my son should be entitled to the extra money he had to pay whilst trying to end the contract after nine months. I have phone them several times and am promised a return phone call which never happens.
    • devon_guy
    • By devon_guy 30th Nov 17, 12:46 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    devon_guy
    My deal was ending. I cancelled on Monday. Just been called and offered 200mb broadband, unlimited calls, sky movies and 6 months Netflix for £43 A month. Pleased with that!
    • brotherbarry
    • By brotherbarry 30th Nov 17, 1:23 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    brotherbarry
    The deal I got when signing up, haggled with a door to door sales rep.

For £58;
    Mix TV
    100mb fibre
    Anytime calls
    BT Sport
    Asian Mela

There was an issue getting the Asian Mela added to the package, so I got them to wave the £20 joining fee.

Couple of days left before the coolinig off period goes, but I'm not sure how much lower I could get them to go!
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 30th Nov 17, 2:30 PM
    • 6,790 Posts
    • 56,060 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    Just called them, they didn't want to know. Just confirmed the date and said I should get an email in the next few days.

If I sign up to BT or Sky, is there any cooling off period, could I change my mind?
    Originally posted by fuzzgun19
    So, I signed up with BT online. Next day got a call from VM offering a deal only £1 over what I was paying before, including a powerline thing to try to get wifi better.
    Thought about it for a few days then called them back and accepted.

VM knew I'd signed for BT, so worth ordering from a competitor to get VM to get their azz in gear lol

BT cancelled over chat.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,124Posts Today

7,687Users online

Martin's Twitter