Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 31,739Posts
    • 37,453Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 8:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 38
    • Nicky321
    • By Nicky321 3rd Oct 17, 9:16 AM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    Nicky321
    Missed 2 calls from them yesterday, why did I have to be in meetings lol. Just hoping they'll try a 3rd time
    Originally posted by Unky Al
    From my experience, they keep on ringing till they get you to stay.
    Last edited by Nicky321; 03-10-2017 at 6:16 PM.
    • jehangir
    • By jehangir 3rd Oct 17, 8:34 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    jehangir
    Hi , just a quite update I was able to get the price down to £27 for 50gig - telephone line and weekend calls .

I held out till the last week before disconnection and then Virgin phoned with the offer.

A bit of a gamble but it worked .
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 3rd Oct 17, 8:53 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    AndyPK
    I was offered £25 today for the same.

I'll believe it when I see it in writing
    • Unky Al
    • By Unky Al 5th Oct 17, 7:01 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Unky Al
    Well they managed to get hold of me last night and they did my same package for £44 (would have been £65 after the increase), so I'm happy with that.
    • Garf
    • By Garf 5th Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Garf
    All very interesting. Im about to start haggling too!
    Wish they wouldnt bundle TV and Phone in all the time
    "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"
    • AVJ
    • By AVJ 5th Oct 17, 7:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AVJ
    Tried it!
    Suggested to them they were too expensive & wanted to leave, got lots of persuasion. Tried to get the new box, no luck. Still with them but went for a smaller TV package considering we don't watch most of them anyway!
    • Nicky321
    • By Nicky321 5th Oct 17, 8:56 PM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    Nicky321
    Well yesterday I should have received my extra V6 box, but I received a super hub 3.0 (which I didnt need as I already have one). I rang them again and after 40 mins on the phone they decided the superhub had been sent out in error and the V6 box not ordered. Anyway, the guy who I spoke to ordered the V6 box (supposedly) and arranged for it to be delivered tomorrow. Then today I receive my new contract via email (I have erased all personal details) but am I right in assuming i am only going to be charged £51.62 and not the £70.50 I agreed (not that i am complaining), but I have decided not to sign and return it until i receive my V6 box.
    Last edited by Nicky321; 05-10-2017 at 8:58 PM.
    • HHarry
    • By HHarry 5th Oct 17, 9:14 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    HHarry
    Well yesterday I should have received my extra V6 box, but I received a super hub 3.0 (which I didnt need as I already have one). I rang them again and after 40 mins on the phone they decided the superhub had been sent out in error and the V6 box not ordered. Anyway, the guy who I spoke to ordered the V6 box (supposedly) and arranged for it to be delivered tomorrow. Then today I receive my new contract via email (I have erased all personal details) but am I right in assuming i am only going to be charged £51.62 and not the £70.50 I agreed (not that i am complaining), but I have decided not to sign and return it until i receive my V6 box.
    Originally posted by Nicky321

I yhink you'll find the £70 included line rental, but you've paid for 12 months Line Rental Saver, so they knock £19 a month off that.
    • cezairs
    • By cezairs 7th Oct 17, 10:30 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    cezairs
    I an idiot and forgot the cut off date !!
    Didn’t get another call so now have nothing.
    Yikes.........feeling daft.
    • Alpha 5
    • By Alpha 5 7th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Alpha 5
    My experience from a couple of years ago is that I only got one call/offer from outbound and after declining it I received no further calls. In the end I called inbound and although they had a record of the offer that was made, they were adamant the offer hadnt included line rental and that I needed to pay on top. I begrudgingly accepted it.

Due to the recent price rises I put my notice in 2 weeks ago but not heard from outbound at all. I only have broadband with them now, so maybe they are happy to let me go!
    • Vexd
    • By Vexd 8th Oct 17, 9:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vexd
    I was/am on the Big Kahuna bundle:

TV XL
    100MB BB (upgraded to 150MB)
    Sky Sports + BT Sports
    3yr old TiVO & Superhub 2.0
    Basic phone

Am paying the ridiculously high, in my opinion, £116pm. After finally plucking up the courage to do something about it, I called VM and selected the 'thinking of leaving' option. The person I spoke to was polite but after a bit of haggling was only able to offer a price cut to £87pm, which also meant dropping back to 100MB BB. He explained that the offer would be valid for 7 days from the call, that they would send a text confirming and if I wanted to accept, I just had to reply YES. I didn't. I decided to go the whole hog, call their bluff and called back yesterday (7th Oct) to cancel my contract and give 30 days notice. They tried to offer me a supposedly better deal there and then, after I said I wasn't happy with the very slow/laggy TiVO and Superhub which needed regular rebooting, and they said I could keep my existing package plus new V6 and Superhub (but would need to pay a £20 installation fee), for £90pm (protected from Nov price rise). I said thanks but no thanks and asked them to go ahead and cancel my contract. So, the waiting begins! Will let you know if and when I get a call from outbound retentions and what they're able to offer *fingers crossed*.
    • c_smith
    • By c_smith 9th Oct 17, 11:13 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    c_smith
    For your info and for comparison purpose for haggling, I've just had a letter through from Sky offering me the Box Sets Bundle with Sky Q multiscreen (SKY Q box plus additional mini box), Sky Fibre unlimited and line rental, all for £50 per month on an 18 month contract.
    • Vexd
    • By Vexd 11th Oct 17, 3:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vexd
    Quick update as per my post above (8th Oct). VM outbound retentions called today and genuinely couldn't have been more considerate or helpful - other than giving everything away for free So, they offered me the Full House Sports bundle (although they didn't specifically call it that - which is available to new customers for £78pm), for £65pm on a 12 month contract (with no installation fee and protected from Nov price rise), including:

Full house TV XL
    upgrade to VIVID 200 BB
    Sky Sports HD + BT Sport HD
    New V6 box
    Superhub 3.0
    Basic phone (weekend calls)

Considering my current bill is £116pm, I'm immensely happy with a saving of £51 a month including upgraded BB and equipment. A definite win! Just to say a big thanks to all the knowledgeable posters on here for showing the way and outlining the haggling process for everyone. Very grateful, cheers!
    Last edited by Vexd; 11-10-2017 at 4:40 PM.
    • darren72
    • By darren72 11th Oct 17, 4:32 PM
    • 1,015 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    darren72
    I'm currently with Virgin Media on the Player Bundle with Vivid 100Mbps, Player TV (M), and Weekend Telephone with Telephone Line Rental for £20 per month. When my deal ends in the next couple of months this will go up to £50 per month.

Does anyone know what sort of deal I am likely to get at the end of my contract. I'm not expecting to get the same for £20/month, but what sort of deal have people had before on this package?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by darren72; 12-10-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    • paragp
    • By paragp 12th Oct 17, 12:49 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    paragp
    So I have been on
    Player TV
    Asian Mela (£12/mth)
    70Mb BB
    Evening and Weekends Telephone
    was paying £64/mth

Cancelled Asian Mela now and bill went down to £44/mth.
    I asked if i removed TV completely would that bring down the price futher, i was told no actually that would push the price up die to bundled discounts.

They have upgraded my BB to 100Mb.

So basically:
    Player TV
    100Mb BB
    Evening and Weekends Telephone for £44/mth.

Anyone think I can get a better deal?
    • cjp2k
    • By cjp2k 12th Oct 17, 10:08 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    cjp2k
    Yes I think you could do better. I did this on behalf of my mother 3 weeks ago she got

Full house tv
    100mb broadband
    Weekend calls

£38 per month

She also got a v6 tivo box the month before on a self install for £20
    • Hurley
    • By Hurley 13th Oct 17, 1:09 AM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Hurley
    So I have been on
    Player TV
    Asian Mela (£12/mth)
    70Mb BB
    Evening and Weekends Telephone
    was paying £64/mth

Cancelled Asian Mela now and bill went down to £44/mth.
    I asked if i removed TV completely would that bring down the price futher, i was told no actually that would push the price up die to bundled discounts.

They have upgraded my BB to 100Mb.

So basically:
    Player TV
    100Mb BB
    Evening and Weekends Telephone for £44/mth.

Anyone think I can get a better deal?
    Originally posted by paragp
    Yeah, a lot better.

Have you spoken to actual retentions? Do they know you're leaving? Once they got a number port request from BT they offered me a much better deal.
    • paragp
    • By paragp 13th Oct 17, 10:35 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    paragp
    Yes I think you could do better. I did this on behalf of my mother 3 weeks ago she got

Full house tv
    100mb broadband
    Weekend calls

£38 per month

She also got a v6 tivo box the month before on a self install for £20
    Originally posted by cjp2k
    thanks i will ring them again next week
    • paragp
    • By paragp 13th Oct 17, 10:37 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    paragp
    Yeah, a lot better.

Have you spoken to actual retentions? Do they know you're leaving? Once they got a number port request from BT they offered me a much better deal.
    Originally posted by Hurley
    I have spoken to customer relations ( not customer services) .. not got through to retentions..
    • ChukkleOdeon
    • By ChukkleOdeon 13th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    ChukkleOdeon
    Current deal, just over £70 / pm, was due to go up to just under £75 / month from next month.
    That is for:
    • Talk Evening and Weekends
    • TV Size M+
    • VIVID 150 Optical Fibre (apparently they no longer do this up to speed bracket)
    You can count the number of calls we make on the landline on one hand each month, wouldn't have thought that it's more than a couple sometimes. So the £19 / month phone line rental is appearing pretty hefty for so little use.

TV - not really massive viewers and would be totally happy with using Freeview.

Internet is the main thing, well for me, would like to keep a 100 min connection.

First ring to Inbound Retentions via the 'thinking of leaving us' option using the landline, they offered:
    • the 'player' TV package
    • eve & w/e calls
    • 100 b/b connection
    for £47 / month

Said I needed to think about it and speak to my partner but asked that the actual details of this deal be put through to me. He said he could do it by text but when the text actually arrived, it contained no details of what was offered and was a message that said 'do you take this deal? Y / N' to which I answered no.

Rang up again a few moments ago to press for a cancellation date and was told that by saying No to the text message, I had already initiated it!

So, fingers crossed I get a call from Outbound Retentions at some point in the days ahead.

Would actually like to get just get shot of the landline and TV service that VM offer and get a broadband only deal for the 200 speed but when I mentioned this on the first time I rang, referring to their deals page, I was told that that is for new customers only... but surely, they could offer me the same deal too if they wanted?

Complicated by the fact that our (rented) property has had VM since before we moved in 6 yrs ago, so there's no BT line which would have to be installed should VM call our bluff and then we may have to move anyway at some point as the flat is on the market... so perhaps the easiest option was to accept that first offer that may not be the best one with savings of £24 / £28 pm.
    Last edited by ChukkleOdeon; 13-10-2017 at 2:16 PM. Reason: grammar
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,126Posts Today

8,767Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin