Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 31,871Posts
    • 37,593Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 8:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 35
    • mikeizz
    • By mikeizz 5th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    mikeizz
    I have Virgin Broadband 50mb which i pay £25 (£40 broadband but with £15 credit every month which i took out in March.

My sky tv package just ended so cancelled and asked Virgin what they could offer me

They offered me

Tv Mix with V6 Box
    100mb Broadband
    Talk weekend
    £39 a month

But due to having a monthly £15 credit would make the above package £24 a month until March and then £39 a month for remainder of contract.

I was pretty happy with that as over a year works out at £31.50 a month.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 5th Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 2,441 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    AndyPK
    jatin Your LineRentalSaver is still active, so the bill is £19 less.

19+2=£21
    • jatinmistry_uk
    • By jatinmistry_uk 5th Sep 17, 12:59 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jatinmistry_uk
    So when do I need to pay for the next 12 months because they have not asked? Or are they going to add into the invoice?
    • Probi
    • By Probi 5th Sep 17, 2:19 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Probi
    Hi all,

I have just been offered the below when calling in:

Mix TV
    100MB Broadband
    Talk Weekends
    Free V6 box
    Free BT sport for 6 months

For £22 a month (not including line rental as I already pay for this using the line rental saver)

Is it worth me threatening to leave? Previously I have had a rolling discount so have been paying £12 a month for the same, but not sure if I could get any further discount?

Or does anyone have any advise on the best way of getting a further discount? I never seem to do very well at these things!

Thanks!
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 5th Sep 17, 6:16 PM
    • 2,441 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    AndyPK
    So when do I need to pay for the next 12 months because they have not asked? Or are they going to add into the invoice?
    Originally posted by jatinmistry_uk
    I guess you need to phone up in a months time, and pay it by card.
    or ask them
    • cezairs
    • By cezairs 6th Sep 17, 12:48 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    cezairs
    Currently have old TiVo box and router that needs constant kicking.
    70 mb broadband
    Weekend calls and call barring
    Medium TV package
    £48 per month plus a further £4 increase in Nov.

Offered -
    100 mb Broadband
    Superhub and new router
    Medium tv
    Basic phone
    £43 per month with no further increases !

I said no ! She then proceeded to tell me I wouldn't get speeds like theirs anywhere else, I pointed out I spend more time resetting the box then I currently spend on-line so anything I get elsewhere will be quicker !
    • pioneer
    • By pioneer 6th Sep 17, 12:54 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    pioneer
    Currently have old TiVo box and router that needs constant kicking.
    70 mb broadband
    Weekend calls and call barring
    Medium TV package
    £48 per month plus a further £4 increase in Nov.

Offered -
    100 mb Broadband
    Superhub and new router
    Medium tv
    Basic phone
    £43 per month with no further increases !

I said no ! She then proceeded to tell me I wouldn't get speeds like theirs anywhere else, I pointed out I spend more time resetting the box then I currently spend on-line so anything I get elsewhere will be quicker !
    Originally posted by cezairs

Good 4 U i've just left 2 after 20yrs, now take a look at

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/vodafone-unlimited-fibre-broadband-upto-38mb-plus-claim-a-gift-worth-up-to-199-rrp-eg-sonos-play1-speaker-25pm-18mo-contract-450-total-spend-vodafone-2761599?page=9#thread-comments
    "Didn't I try to Warn them I said !"
    David Essex War of the Worlds.

"Thats Ancient History, Been There! Done That!" Hercules
    • HotHaggle
    • By HotHaggle 6th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HotHaggle
    Hi all
    I just read up on how to haggle from the MSE site and managed to get a better deal with Virgin media re the tv and internet.
    It was costing me £72 per month for half the channels I did not use! They got me on a better package that was reduced to £52 per month and included the price hike in Nov 2017 that will come into play.
    I also got 100mb broadband from 70 at no extra cost.
    I did say i was thinking of leaving but it had no impact.
    However, big thanks for saving me at least £20 per month.
    • davethorp
    • By davethorp 6th Sep 17, 9:12 PM
    • 1,421 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    davethorp
    Paying £27 a month for 100mbit broadband (no phone line). Rang up following £2.99 price rise in November and had a £2.99 credit applied to my bill with immediate effect for 6 months. No new contract and current contract runs out in January so can renegotiate then

• VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 7th Sep 17, 7:49 PM
    • 2,394 Posts
    • 4,882 Thanks
    VoucherMan
    Signed a new contract earlier this year. It was just basic BB at 70Mbps. £32.25 for 12 months, but with a £10 a month discount for 18 months. Useful as I would still have 6 months discount when the contract ended to find a better deal.

Forward to the price increase announcement. I phoned up to cancel, but nothing further to offer so I cancelled, all set to move to Plusnet or elsewhere.

Received a call from retentions offering to credit my account with £169.68. No new contract, so it still has 7 months to run.

Now that's my sort of deal.

For those who shy away from arithmetic, that's 7 months at £24.24 I've had credited. Free internet until the contract ends.
    • cezairs
    • By cezairs 8th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    cezairs
    Just had a call from retentions -

Been offered router and new TiVo box thing.

200 mb BB
    Player TV
    Weekend Calls

£34.00 for 12 months and no price hike.
    Originally said £29 for 100 mb.

Asked for a call back after I have had a chat with family......
    what do we think ?
    • Pound
    • By Pound 9th Sep 17, 1:00 PM
    • 2,634 Posts
    • 1,312 Thanks
    Pound
    100MB
    Talk Unlimited
    £45/month

Initially I was told there was a £20 fee (reduced from £60). Second person I spoke to waived the entire fee.

• fryster2006
    • By fryster2006 11th Sep 17, 12:05 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    fryster2006
    So, finally got a good deal after putting in cancellation and signing up to BT (now cancelled). I was waiting for a call which never came, so I phoned retentions who could only offer it for £37 a month, he arranged a call back from the win back team and 10 minutes later had a call and received an offer.

Vivid 200 and phone with talk weekends

£23 a month.

Very happy with that, waiting on Sky to give me a deal on TV I'm happy with, currently at a 50% discount but I'm using the BT £12.50 a month for their max package as a bargaining tool
    • JasperAlex
    • By JasperAlex 11th Sep 17, 2:37 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JasperAlex
    Just called retentions and was offered £31/month with a £50 credit and no new contract.

Currently on 70MB + weekend phone package.

Retentions seem a bit tight this year compared to previous years. Will probably call back once my free credit runs out since my contract ends at the end of the month anyway.

Has anyone had any better luck?
    • Chimpofdoom
    • By Chimpofdoom 13th Sep 17, 8:51 AM
    • 786 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    Chimpofdoom
    Well just tried my luck with Virgin to see what I could get.

I was offered what I currently have for £37 pcm plus £30 credit (I currently have 100MB plus weekend calls), however.. that's not what I got.

The guy in the call centre had actually cut my speed in half to 50MB (noticed this morning). So needless to say

Quick call again to the call centre, woman in the call centre said she would put me back to 100MB and got the price to £36.

Unfortunately this doesn't appear to be showing on my account, so if it doesn't appear, can I use the cooling off period to cancel?
    To the internet.. I need to complain about something!
    • JasperAlex
    • By JasperAlex 13th Sep 17, 12:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JasperAlex
    Well just tried my luck with Virgin to see what I could get.

I was offered what I currently have for £37 pcm plus £30 credit (I currently have 100MB plus weekend calls), however.. that's not what I got.

The guy in the call centre had actually cut my speed in half to 50MB (noticed this morning). So needless to say

Quick call again to the call centre, woman in the call centre said she would put me back to 100MB and got the price to £36.

Unfortunately this doesn't appear to be showing on my account, so if it doesn't appear, can I use the cooling off period to cancel?
    Originally posted by Chimpofdoom
    Yeah you can definitely use the cooling off period to cancel. Think it's within 14 days. This is what happened to me last year as well. They literally changed my speed, price, contract length .. basically everything wasn't what I agreed.

Do you mind me asking whether this deal tied you into a new contract?
    • Chimpofdoom
    • By Chimpofdoom 14th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    • 786 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    Chimpofdoom
    Yeah, back in for 12 months, which doesn't bother me to be fair!
    To the internet.. I need to complain about something!
    • hawkhurst
    • By hawkhurst 14th Sep 17, 12:30 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hawkhurst
    100mb BB and weekend phone slowly crept up to £40 pm and was due to go up to £43 with the latest increase. Tried to haggle with cancellations but the best they offered was £37 and a reduction to 50mb BB. Said no and served cancellation notice. Got a call 2 days later asking if I would consider coming back for £35 with 100mb, said I wanted £30 as it would cost a new customer which they agreed to. Happy days.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 15th Sep 17, 8:45 AM
    • 11,697 Posts
    • 134,389 Thanks
    Anon
    Yeah, back in for 12 months, which doesn't bother me to be fair!
    Originally posted by Chimpofdoom
    It no longer bothers me either, as they will invariably announce a price rise which will give an opportunity to cancel .
    • quartile
    • By quartile 18th Sep 17, 5:02 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    quartile
    Got the letter raising the price so phoned to cancel. They called back a couple of days later and offered:-

New v6 box, new superhub 3

Tv mix, talk weekends and 100mb bb for £29pm for inc line rental 12 month contract.

I quoted the Vodafone broadband offers and freesat as a comparison.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,677Posts Today

10,265Users online

Martin's Twitter