Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 31,345Posts
    • 37,035Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 8:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 30
    • den169
    • By den169 30th Jun 17, 12:32 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    den169
    Best Broadband Only Deal

So I've been with VM since Nynex days! Anyway I'm out of contract now by a few months. I am currently paying £42 for 70Mb & W/E calls. I have been seriously considering moving to mobile broadband (MiFi) but haven't as yet managed to migrate all of my emails over to a personal domain address - let alone sort out the hundreds of places I have my VM email accounts registered with.

So I'm wondering what are the best deals people have managed to get for BB only (no landline). And have you been able to pay 12 months line rental up front to reduce the monthly cost further?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by staffsuk
    Ring and cancel i have 150mb evening and weekend calls fun package tv caller id.£30-05p includes line rental.i cancelled a few weeks ago because my free line rental would end in july.Was paying £33 with 100mb.They rang after 2 days and without any arguing knocked £3 off and upped the bb to 150mb Happy days.
    • Rev
    • By Rev 3rd Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 2,695 Thanks
    Rev
    Just called and put my cancellation in. Offer ended so I'm paying £26 for just 150mb BB.

Fingers crossed they give me a call as I don't want to actually leave. Still worse case I call back in a few weeks and ask them to stop the cancellation.
    Sigless
    • gunner786
    • By gunner786 5th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    gunner786
    Just cancelled mine too.
    • Rev
    • By Rev 5th Jul 17, 1:29 PM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 2,695 Thanks
    Rev
    Call back today, offered 150mb for £23 which I'm happy with. That's basically what I've been paying for the last 12 months before the price increase.
    Sigless
    • portchieboy
    • By portchieboy 5th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    portchieboy
    Too much?
    Superfibre 70
    170 Channels (Fun?)
    Evening and weekends
    5 yr old box (record 2, watch 1)

I have been with VM ?10+ years, and am paying £68 per month. I think now, looking at this, it is far too much.

Anyone else on a similar package please.
    O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

(O would some power the gift to give us to see ourselves as others see us
    .)

Robert Burns
    • den169
    • By den169 5th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    den169
    Superfibre 70
    170 Channels (Fun?)
    Evening and weekends

I have been with VM ?10+ years, and am paying £68 per month. I think now, looking at this, it is far too much.

Originally posted by portchieboy
    Wow thats a lot.
    150mb
    evening weekend calls
    Fun tv. tivo bos caller id
    £30 including line rental
    • jonas123
    • By jonas123 5th Jul 17, 11:01 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    jonas123
    Just cancelled mine - got a call after a couple of weeks. Mentioned that my contract had ended and gone up in price, plus the tivo box was getting slow. Mentioned a (made up) £35 sky deal. Was offered £33pm for mix tv, 100mb and phone, plus the v6 box.

Probably could have got more, but was happy with the offer.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 5th Jul 17, 11:06 PM
    • 2,382 Posts
    • 2,212 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Before I can cancel tomorrow, finally had enough and got the time.
    70Mb BB
    Phone weekend

Currently paying £33

I don't need the phone, don't have one (somehow it was cheaper to have it).

If they don't play ball, I will say well you can offer lower as as shown here and if not cancel. I am concerned as last time I did they said in not so many words I would end up staying due to my download usage - I game online and watch all TV/Films online. Had no callback - this time I will make they have my mobile.
    Last edited by cjdavies; 05-07-2017 at 11:12 PM.
    • spamdrew
    • By spamdrew 6th Jul 17, 8:02 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    spamdrew
    Out bound offers were;
    1) £29 pcm 150meg, weekend calls, original TiVo,, freeview channels
    2) £33 pcm, 150, weekend, V6, mix
    3) 38, 150, weekend, v6 , full house.

Story below
    So after price increase to £52 for 70mg BB, weekend calls and old TV pack similar to mix, I called to cancel, principle issue being very slow internet since they launched vivid in my area (free upgrade of speed from 30meg to 70 dropped my speed from 30 to 5!)
    So got sent a new router, which cut me off for 2 days. Then got told by customer service person I had slow BB as I had 11 devices on my new router, which I logged into whilst in call and I only had 3, offered £3 pcm discount, and asked me if I thought he was lying, he was given a clear answer. cancelled contact. Make sure they have your mobile number in contacts.
    Talk talk offering 3 to 8 meg plus TV for£25 pcm.

Call back from out bound retentions, offer 2 accepted. I'll call back and do pre pay line rental thing to reduce cost further.

FYI my internet is no faster at peak. My next door has BT and at peak they get 0.1! I'm my area we've had 7 sets of student halls built in last 2 years with another 2 in progress......
    • Elijah Bailey
    • By Elijah Bailey 6th Jul 17, 10:54 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Elijah Bailey
    Hi,
    Can anyone tell me where to register (if possible) my mobile number with VM as I intend to cancel (or stay if I get a good offer).

I assume if I ring to cancel and then say "here is my mobile number" it will be clear that I am leaning towards staying and I will be offered nothing.

Thanks
    • MLE1
    • By MLE1 7th Jul 17, 8:02 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MLE1
    Just called up to cancel and got offered this immediately

200MB broadband + weekend phone £20

I was on 200MB + Weekend Phone for £27.49 before. I accepted but feel like that is crap deal.

Have to pay line rental saver too...

So really its 200 MB + Weekend Phone for £36.33, crap deal?
    • gunner786
    • By gunner786 8th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    gunner786
    Anyone have a number for virgin outbound? Havent had a call back yet im thinking they might not have my mobile number will call them using a random.excuse
    • ewokuk
    • By ewokuk 8th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    ewokuk
    I just rang to see if they would offer me anything half decent. Currently paying £42.67 for 'Fun TV', vivid 100, talk weekends. I told them I wanted the £32 'Player Bundle' deal they are offering new customers (same as my current package but reduced tv) and was told the best they could do was £42! I asked what they could do if I dropped the TV completely, best they would offer was £38, thats for 100mb and talk weekends! She said she would text me those details and if I wanted it i could just reply yes, or could ring them back to talk again. Got no text at all.

I will ring back Monday and tell them to cancel it, their service sucks anyway, had several outages in the last year, one lasting several days, and every time you need an engineer it takes them a WEEK to send one out (and that's in london)!!! So you have no phone/bb/tv for an entire week. They are going to have to offer me a MUCH better deal than the crap they offered if they want me to stay. Like MLE1 above, I would take £20 for 200mb and phone and drop the tv but I doubt they will offer that.
    Last edited by ewokuk; 08-07-2017 at 6:27 PM.
    • MLE1
    • By MLE1 8th Jul 17, 11:04 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MLE1
    I just rang to see if they would offer me anything half decent. Currently paying £42.67 for 'Fun TV', vivid 100, talk weekends. I told them I wanted the £32 'Player Bundle' deal they are offering new customers (same as my current package but reduced tv) and was told the best they could do was £42! I asked what they could do if I dropped the TV completely, best they would offer was £38, thats for 100mb and talk weekends! She said she would text me those details and if I wanted it i could just reply yes, or could ring them back to talk again. Got no text at all.

I will ring back Monday and tell them to cancel it, their service sucks anyway, had several outages in the last year, one lasting several days, and every time you need an engineer it takes them a WEEK to send one out (and that's in london)!!! So you have no phone/bb/tv for an entire week. They are going to have to offer me a MUCH better deal than the crap they offered if they want me to stay. Like MLE1 above, I would take £20 for 200mb and phone and drop the tv but I doubt they will offer that.
    Originally posted by ewokuk
    But that £20 is without line rental??
    • ewokuk
    • By ewokuk 9th Jul 17, 10:52 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    ewokuk
    But that £20 is without line rental??
    Originally posted by MLE1
    aha not as good as i thought then

I would probably expect closer to 30 for that inc line rent for me to by happy with it. if you called to cancel and got offered that straight away, i dont think it was disconnections you were talking to, just the normal people that cant offer the best deals.
    Last edited by ewokuk; 09-07-2017 at 8:35 PM.
    • portchieboy
    • By portchieboy 10th Jul 17, 8:56 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    portchieboy
    Superfibre 70
    170 Channels (Fun?)
    Evening and weekends

Originally posted by portchieboy

Cancelled, at which time I was offered £58, all details as above. Refused, and gave notice.

Call back today, and told them I wanted the new customer deal. So, have got Mix TV, new V6 box (yippee), 150 Mbps BB, Eve and W/e phone, new generation router.....£41.60pm.

Maybe I could have held out, but I am away for a few weeks, so didn't want to play chicken!

Saving £27 pm, HAPPY.
    O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

(O would some power the gift to give us to see ourselves as others see us
    .)

Robert Burns
    • bioboybill
    • By bioboybill 11th Jul 17, 9:27 AM
    • 2,899 Posts
    • 1,299 Thanks
    bioboybill
    I phoned about a week ago as my deal had run out. Told them I wanted to cancel, as was too expensive. Got offered some discount that I wasn't happy with, so asked to be put on 30 days notice. The lady said she would email me to confirm the 30 days notice straight away. A week later and still no email or phone call back. When I did this about 15 months ago I got a call back after a few days, so maybe this time they won't bother? I will give it another few days then phone them to ask if the cancellation was even put in.
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 12th Jul 17, 1:36 PM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham
    Ok advice please

I'm on the upto 150 Mbps ( broadband only ) package....with a ten pounds per month discount, so I'm paying 28.75 per month.

Min term is up in about 6 weeks and I'll also lose the tenner a month discount....now I'm on the understanding the 150mbps package I'm on doesn't exist anymore.

Anyone help with what I should be aiming for ?

I'd be happy to drop down to the 100mbps if with a discount I can get monthly cost below 20 pounds per month
    Originally posted by dazzaofdagenham

Phoned today and asked if my rolling discount of £10 could be extended....basically the answer was no.

Currently paying 28.75 ( inc discount ) and when that ends in a couple of weeks time I would be paying 38.75

Gentleman on phoned said he could reduce my plan to 30 pounds a month...at which point I asked him to take my 30 days notice.

See what happens from here
    • ewokuk
    • By ewokuk 13th Jul 17, 3:46 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    ewokuk
    ok rang them just now and gave them the 30 day notice. They are offering new customers player tv, vivid 100 and talk weekend for £32 for 12 months, the best they would offer me for the same thing is £42. I am not going to be fleeced simply because I am not a new customer, so unless disconnections come back with an offer and that is at least equivalent to what new customers can get, then I will be off.

*update*
    Nice, they apparently tried to call me at home yesterday....twice. The first time they were told to ring my mobile since I was at work. They never did. They rang back again later and was once again told I was not in because I was at work, this time they were meant to ring back at 6.30....and they never did. Entire day today and they have still not attempted to call back again. Good company, quality service, even from the team responsible for trying to retain customers .
    Last edited by ewokuk; 18-07-2017 at 8:47 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

398Posts Today

4,576Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin