Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 31,890Posts
    • 37,622Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 8:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 28
    • den169
    • By den169 25th May 17, 8:34 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    den169
    So I cancelled last week, and was offered a reduction in billing from £61pm to £38pm on inbound retentions after I pushed the BT offer which was coming in around £25pm (after quidco and reward card) and said that no, I would just cancel and come back in 12 mths as a new customer. That was Thursday.

Monday I got a call from outbound retentions and now have TV Mix with Vivid 100 and keep my second box for £26pm (line rental also included in that). Didn't think that was enough, so I pushed and got BT Sport free for the year as well.

Email came through confirming the changes and the full discounts are there. Well worth 10 minutes of my time.
    Originally posted by bingo bango
    Just been on with them myself.My free line rental ends july it'll jump to £50 then guy i spoke to gave me a load of crap about i won't get anything under £50 lmao glad iv'e seen your post i'll be looking for exactly that.He also told me no one in the house could sign up as a new customer till 4 months had gone past.
    Also he told me they won't give anyone free line rental but i don't believe that.
    Last edited by den169; 25-05-2017 at 8:49 PM. Reason: added
    • bingo bango
    • By bingo bango 26th May 17, 10:53 AM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 1,464 Thanks
    bingo bango
    I don't think mine is 'free' per se, as the discount shown doesn't specifically mention it, but then it doesn't mention anything in particular! Just a single big fat juicy discount figure for 12 months.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 26th May 17, 5:34 PM
    • 2,950 Posts
    • 5,391 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Virgin Media phone and broadband
    After a few haggling calls I managed to get 100mb broadband and phone with talk weekends for an average of £24/month on a 12 month contract.

Probably not the cheapest deal I could have got, but I was close to going into the next full price billing period and the cost of that would probably have offset any gain from haggling further or going to the wire on threat of cancellation. I did ask to be put through to the cancellations team and the CSA suddenly decided he also worked in cancellations and asked "So will you be porting your number when you leave?"

Given my last BT experience I would have willingly paid an extra £5/month just to avoid ever dealing with them again
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • darren72
    • By darren72 26th May 17, 6:05 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    darren72
    After a few haggling calls I managed to get 100mb broadband and phone with talk weekends for an average of £24/month on a 12 month contract.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    Sounds not a bad deal to me - New customers can get better, but that is always the case!
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 26th May 17, 8:12 PM
    • 2,950 Posts
    • 5,391 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Sounds not a bad deal to me - New customers can get better, but that is always the case!
    Originally posted by darren72
    Something gave me the impression that £22 would have been achievable, but time wasn't on my side. So next time I'll remember to start negotiating well before the end of my current bill period.

The other factor is the mysterious mobile package I have which is worth at least another £5/month to me. I don't understand why I've got it and don't want to ask So I also didn't want to move to BT and end up with unexpected mobile bills landing on my doormat. Looking at it that way the BB and landline is actually costing an average of £19/month.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • den169
    • By den169 7th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    den169
    Rang and cancelled last night gonna wait for retentions,Although the guy i spoke to said he didn't work for Virgin it was another company taking the calls.Also said he paid £140 a month for the package he on was like i believe that.Got emails very quick saying they'll send out details of sending equipment back etc.
    Better start looking at sky deals i think.My daughter just got fibre bb tv anytime calls from sky £30 a month seems a decent deal includes line rental.
    Any better offers out there.
    Last edited by den169; 07-06-2017 at 2:35 PM. Reason: added
    • Zoom7000
    • By Zoom7000 8th Jun 17, 10:41 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Zoom7000
    In recent years, haggling hasn't worked too well for me at all. I'm on 200Mbps broadband (got the phone, but don't need it, only got it because it's cheaper with the phone). I'm currently paying £42/Month. I'm looking at the new customer deal and it's £37/Month for the first 12 months and then £45/Month thereafter. So, it looks like I'm looking at a £5/Month deal at best. Anyone think I can get any better?

The trouble with the threat of leaving for me is that they know that there isn't anywhere else I can go. BT haven't yet released their ultra fast package and the nearest deal is for "up to 78Mbps" and I get nothing near that due to distance from the exchange.
    • darrens_here
    • By darrens_here 8th Jun 17, 11:04 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    darrens_here
    Success - thanks to MSE!
    So, been with Virgin for 3 years, monthly subscription has crept up.. was paying around £90 for TV, phone BB etc etc. Happy with the package, but once the wife added a few movies, this easily crept to over £100......

Anyways, long story short, read so much on this forum about haggling, and seeing it on TV recently, thought I'd have a go....

Phoned VM, said I wanted to leave and go with sky as they were too expensive. Guy on phone offered me a mega discount of... wait for it....£7 !!!!!! Well... needless to say that wasnt going to cut the mustard, said not enough, put me on notice - 30 days.

3 days later, got a call form a loverly young lady from the retentions department (I assume) . She said she was sad to hear we were leaving, and why.. I had a bit of friendly banter with her, and told her honestly that it was too expensive.... she came to down straight away to £49.. with no haggling !

SO, with still 27 days left until my notice, I thought I'd push it a little further..... and said thanks, I will check with the wife.... and call her back. I never did.

25 (or so) days later, just before the cancellation term ended, low and behold, another phone call.... same story, sad to hear IM going etc etc... I said I was happy with the £49, but a little annoyed that Id been paying £90 odd pound for so long... and asked if she could do anything else, add F1, or Sports /movies etc etc.. she said she couldnt... but, if I signed up for 18 months, shed knock £5/month more off .... job done... £44/month...

So, 3 phone calls, probably 30minutes max, and Ive saved around £540/pa.... !!! Happy days.
    • den169
    • By den169 8th Jun 17, 11:30 AM
    • 257 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    den169
    Well 2 days since i cancelled because my free line rental was due to end and i get a call.Finished up getting £3 off and 50mb up.
    My deal is 150mb fun tv with Eurosport evening weekend calls £30-5p.Includes line rental 12 month contract so happy with that.
    • den169
    • By den169 8th Jun 17, 11:35 AM
    • 257 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    den169
    In recent years, haggling hasn't worked too well for me at all. I'm on 200Mbps broadband (got the phone, but don't need it, only got it because it's cheaper with the phone). I'm currently paying £42/Month. I'm looking at the new customer deal and it's £37/Month for the first 12 months and then £45/Month thereafter. So, it looks like I'm looking at a £5/Month deal at best. Anyone think I can get any better?

The trouble with the threat of leaving for me is that they know that there isn't anywhere else I can go. BT haven't yet released their ultra fast package and the nearest deal is for "up to 78Mbps" and I get nothing near that due to distance from the exchange.
    Originally posted by Zoom7000
    Cancel anyway give it a couple of weeks,You can always ring back and say you've decided to stay,But i would bet they'll be ringing within a week,See my other post above they rang me after 2 days i would have been happy for them to give me free line rental again,But got £3 off and an extra 50mb.Aswell as free line rental.By the way i always record my conversations with Virgin but do tell them.
    • mummy72
    • By mummy72 8th Jun 17, 4:22 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    mummy72
    Hi
    Looking a little bit of advice, been with virgin over 10 years and always got a decent deal after giving notice, contract now up and monthly package now £77, so called and gave my 30 days notice. Have had lots of calls from retentions but they have always been when I have been out so haven't been able to answer them. Due to have services switched off tomorrow and so today the only day I'm home have had no calls, does this mean they have given up? Called virgin to say I had missed calls from them but they said unfortunately they cannot get me to connected to them it would be a case of them just calling me back. Has anyone had the same experience and should I just let them switch off and then hopefully get a new deal? Or do they call last minute?
    TIA
    • hunsbury0
    • By hunsbury0 8th Jun 17, 4:33 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    hunsbury0
    Hi
    Looking a little bit of advice, been with virgin over 10 years and always got a decent deal after giving notice, contract now up and monthly package now £77, so called and gave my 30 days notice. Have had lots of calls from retentions but they have always been when I have been out so haven't been able to answer them. Due to have services switched off tomorrow and so today the only day I'm home have had no calls, does this mean they have given up? Called virgin to say I had missed calls from them but they said unfortunately they cannot get me to connected to them it would be a case of them just calling me back. Has anyone had the same experience and should I just let them switch off and then hopefully get a new deal? Or do they call last minute?
    TIA
    Originally posted by mummy72
    Cancel the termination without taking a new contract - still remain on the existing contract. Then in 5 days give 30 days notice. Inform them your mobile number as well when you give your notice.
    • mummy72
    • By mummy72 8th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    mummy72
    Cancel the termination without taking a new contract - still remain on the existing contract. Then in 5 days give 30 days notice. Inform them your mobile number as well when you give your notice.
    Originally posted by hunsbury0
    Hi
    Are they likely to call me again with a new deal if I do this?
    Thanks
    • den169
    • By den169 8th Jun 17, 6:30 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    den169
    Hi
    Are they likely to call me again with a new deal if I do this?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by mummy72
    I would think so yes.Make sure they have your mobile no.
    • hunsbury0
    • By hunsbury0 8th Jun 17, 6:35 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    hunsbury0
    I would think so yes.Make sure they have your mobile no.
    Originally posted by den169
    They had tried my landline but as I was not at home, they called me on my mobile to offer me the deal.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 15th Jun 17, 12:21 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 6,038 Thanks
    lovinituk
    Just gave my 30 days notice.

Have been with them over 10 years and currently paying £88. We have 200mb broadband but 100mb would do. We have Talk Unlimited but could just use mobiles for free calls. Don't know what TV package we're on but it seems to be everything except the sports/movies and only a fraction of it ever gets watched.

So I asked if I could have the new customer Mix Bundle deal at £39 a month and the new V6 TV box. Best they offered was £49 pounds without the new TV box, so I said I'd cancel.

Just waiting on retentions now!
    • buttonmoon
    • By buttonmoon 19th Jun 17, 8:44 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    buttonmoon
    Just rang up to cancel my tv/broadband/phone today. I have been paying £106 for talk weekend, can't remember which broadband, all the TVs channels and sky sports. No offers made. Then only offer to reduce my package to £49 for free view channels plus talk weekend plus broadband or £54 for talk weekend, broadband, plus smallest tv package. I will sit and wait for the phone calls.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 21st Jun 17, 2:55 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 6,038 Thanks
    lovinituk
    Just had a phone call from the loyalty team. I've accepted a deal at £36pm for 18 months for the Mix Bundle with the new V6 Tivo box. That's £3pm cheaper than the new customer deal. I'm happy enough with that as it will be saving us £50pm for the next 18 months.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 22nd Jun 17, 2:16 PM
    • 2,793 Posts
    • 2,795 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Shall be looking around later for bargaining power and cancelling, but this time make sure they have my mobile number as last time no call.

£33 for Telephone weekends and 70Mb BB.

Last time I tried they said I was downloading a lot over a month as I game online and stream TV/films - don't have freeview etc. No other provider would allow this and gamers know this and stay with VM.
    • Micheletill
    • By Micheletill 22nd Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Micheletill
    Virgin trying to over charge me as I left them the start contract was 12 months now gone up to 18 can they do this
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,528Posts Today

7,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin