Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 31,218Posts
    • 36,913Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 8:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 26
    • darren72
    • By darren72 20th Apr 17, 11:12 AM
    • 953 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    darren72
    If you have someone else in your household that could sign up as a new customer then you might be able to get one of the fantastic deals that are available. Like the one I got - TV, 100Mbps broadband, weekend phone package, line rental - all for £23 per month along with free activation and £50 credit.
    • hunsbury0
    • By hunsbury0 20th Apr 17, 11:24 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    hunsbury0
    If you have someone else in your household that could sign up as a new customer then you might be able to get one of the fantastic deals that are available. Like the one I got - TV, 100Mbps broadband, weekend phone package, line rental - all for £23 per month along with free activation and £50 credit.
    Originally posted by darren72
    How did you manage to do it at this price as their online deals start from £32?
    • darren72
    • By darren72 20th Apr 17, 11:26 AM
    • 953 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    darren72
    Originally posted by hunsbury0
    I have a contact at Virgin Media that I have received the above from and passed friends and family on to.
    • hunsbury0
    • By hunsbury0 20th Apr 17, 2:33 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    hunsbury0
    I have a contact at Virgin Media that I have received the above from and passed friends and family on to.
    Originally posted by darren72

I wish that had a contact but they don't want my custom, so I am off to BT for a year & check for the best deals in a years time.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 20th Apr 17, 6:46 PM
    • 11,695 Posts
    • 128,858 Thanks
    Anon
    I have given up with vm, as I have given the notice, I will go to bt , also my landline has to be active at the time of transfer to port the number over. I will go to bt as long as I can get min 20mb unlimited broadband. They guarantee minimum is 50 mb for my address.
    Did you give notice weeks ago and are now at the end of your cancellation period, or have you just given them your cancellation notice?
    • darren72
    • By darren72 20th Apr 17, 6:51 PM
    • 953 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    darren72
    by darren72
    Forgot to say. My contact at Virgin Media now tells me that they can do the same deal above for £20/month all-in. So after the £50 credit that works out at the equivalent of £15.83 per month !

I'll have to let all my friends know in case they want the offer as I can't see it lasting long!
    • hunsbury0
    • By hunsbury0 20th Apr 17, 7:07 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    hunsbury0
    virgin media
    Did you give notice weeks ago and are now at the end of your cancellation period, or have you just given them your cancellation notice?
    Originally posted by Anon
    I rang them last week but told me to try today as today was 1 month from when my discounts finish, so I gave notice today & they would not budge.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 20th Apr 17, 7:44 PM
    • 11,695 Posts
    • 128,858 Thanks
    Anon
    I rang them last week but told me to try today as today was 1 month from when my discounts finish, so I gave notice today & they would not budge.
    I'm sorry but you are clearly not paying any attention to the posts above and therefore it is no surprise you have not been offered anything worth staying for.

Give notice, await Outbound call. Don't give notice, you will not get any decent offers and stay on your current deal. Don't feel disheartened as you need to follow the process and it generally pays off.

Now you have actually put in your notice there is a strong chance Outbound will call you - even if you still go through with your BT order it is worth the conversation with them, if they call within 14 days, as you could still cancel BT if the offer is worth staying for.
    • hunsbury0
    • By hunsbury0 20th Apr 17, 8:20 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    hunsbury0
    Virgin Media
    I'm sorry but you are clearly not paying any attention to the posts above and therefore it is no surprise you have not been offered anything worth staying for.

Give notice, await Outbound call. Don't give notice, you will not get any decent offers and stay on your current deal. Don't feel disheartened as you need to follow the process and it generally pays off.

Now you have actually put in your notice there is a strong chance Outbound will call you - even if you still go through with your BT order it is worth the conversation with them, if they call within 14 days, as you could still cancel BT if the offer is worth staying for.

Thank you for your tips. I did not want to loose out on the £150 reward which expires today. I don't think that VM will entertain me.
    I will see if they ring me within 13 days as I do not want 2 contracts at the same time!
    I may miss their calls if they ring on the landline between 7.00 am to 6.00 pm as I am at work or travelling during these times.
    I was told by VM to ring today as then it will be a month before the discounts expire & also was last day today for BT reward £150.
    I also cancelled VM Mobile which was good deal- £ 5.00 for unlimited minutes , unlimited texts, 250mb data. Data was low, but it did not affect me as I have Wi-Fi at home & work. I left due to poor reception- people were complaining that they couldn't get connected sometimes & also the texts they sent did not arrive , not even at a later time!
    Gone to Tesco Mobile who use O2, which has a better reception where I live. £7.50 for 500 mins, 500mb data, 5000 texts. 12 month contract. Number will be ported tomorrow.
    • Icecannon
    • By Icecannon 21st Apr 17, 1:06 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Icecannon
    Does anyone know if the sales guys that knock on the door can offer good deals?

Had a card left, just after BB, basic tv, see online it's £32, just wondering if it's worth giving the guy that called a ring to see if he can offer a better deal.
    • hunsbury0
    • By hunsbury0 21st Apr 17, 1:26 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    hunsbury0
    Does anyone know if the sales guys that knock on the door can offer good deals?

Had a card left, just after BB, basic tv, see online it's £32, just wondering if it's worth giving the guy that called a ring to see if he can offer a better deal.
    Originally posted by Icecannon
    If you are going to join online, then checkout TCB or quidco for any cashback deals
    • hunsbury0
    • By hunsbury0 21st Apr 17, 1:33 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    hunsbury0
    Bt rewards reduced to £125, was £150 for bt 52mb & landline. And TCB reduced to £80 , was £100.
    • Maxwell007
    • By Maxwell007 21st Apr 17, 10:37 AM
    • 229 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Maxwell007
    I got 3months sky sports after is said I wanted to leave Virgin.
    I will stay for now but there prices are getting way too expensive . .
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 21st Apr 17, 7:55 PM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 2,110 Thanks
    cjdavies

In my case did not phone me at all! I ended phonng them 4 hours before cut off and was paying £30.00 for 50Mb BB and Telephone Weekends.

The price is now £33, but says on my bill "You'Re Receiving A œ7 Loyalty Discount. If You Change Your Package You May Lose This Discount Which Will End 08-APR-18". Am I stuck until then?

I really don't know how people get these really low offers, unless like another poster has - family/friend contact for discount codes.
    Last edited by cjdavies; 21-04-2017 at 8:02 PM.
    • hunsbury0
    • By hunsbury0 21st Apr 17, 10:03 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    hunsbury0
    In my case did not phone me at all! I ended phonng them 4 hours before cut off and was paying £30.00 for 50Mb BB and Telephone Weekends.

The price is now £33, but says on my bill "You'Re Receiving A œ7 Loyalty Discount. If You Change Your Package You May Lose This Discount Which Will End 08-APR-18". Am I stuck until then?

I really don't know how people get these really low offers, unless like another poster has - family/friend contact for discount codes.
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    I guess that if you have not agreed to a new deal, then you can give 1 months notice to leave as long you are out of the contract. The loyalty bonus that are getting will end in April 18. I would ring them & confirm that you not tied to a new contract for 12 months.
    Have you thought about BT 52mb broadband? You can go on BT site & enter your post code/address to find out if you can get BT fibre?
    • Lord_Dante
    • By Lord_Dante 29th Apr 17, 7:53 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Lord_Dante
    How long did it take for people to get an email with the offered contract? I spoke to someone Friday and nothing yet but my account is showing an engineer visit for this Friday.

I managed to get payment reduced from £52 to £30 and I got

An upgraded TV package (Can't remember which one),
    Talk Weekends (Same as before)
    150MB internet (Was 70MB)
    V6 box and new super hub. (Was TIVO and Superhub 2)
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 30th Apr 17, 11:45 AM
    • 14,784 Posts
    • 119,130 Thanks
    JackieO
    Since November my Virgin package has risen by £7.71 and will rise again in July by another fiver

I was on the phone to them this morning and they seem to be indifferent to bargaining.

I will probably go for a better deal from Sky or talkTalk as I am on the bog basic lowest package with internet and my TiVo box and phone (although I never use my landline as I use my EE mobile to phone out and only have incoming calls only on my phone. I have been a customer first with Telewest /Blueyonder then when Virgin took over for a total of 17 years I think its high time I moved to a better deal, shame as I did like Virgin ,but as a pensioner on a fixed income my pension doesn't increase in the way the Virgin prices do
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • mro
    • By mro 1st May 17, 3:02 AM
    • 583 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    mro
    Since November my Virgin package has risen by £7.71 and will rise again in July by another fiver

I was on the phone to them this morning and they seem to be indifferent to bargaining.

I will probably go for a better deal from Sky or talkTalk as I am on the bog basic lowest package with internet and my TiVo box and phone (although I never use my landline as I use my EE mobile to phone out and only have incoming calls only on my phone. I have been a customer first with Telewest /Blueyonder then when Virgin took over for a total of 17 years I think its high time I moved to a better deal, shame as I did like Virgin ,but as a pensioner on a fixed income my pension doesn't increase in the way the Virgin prices do
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Why has it risen like that & why in July.

I know last standard price rise was last Nov, haven't heard of price rise this year.

I agree their price rise over last few years have been ridiculous.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 1st May 17, 8:53 AM
    • 14,784 Posts
    • 119,130 Thanks
    JackieO
    No idea but the customer sales person didn't seem to give a toss, and said if I wanted to change now it would cost me £88.00 plus so I will bite the bullet until September then it will be goodbye to Virgin as I am sure I can get a better deal elsewhere
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 1st May 17, 12:16 PM
    • 18,785 Posts
    • 8,958 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude

Originally posted by JackieO
    If you are still in a minimum term, you cannot bargain because you cannot cancel. If you can cancel then do so and they will make offers to entice you to stay.

"Bargaining" does not work unless you cancel and mean it. No point just threatening to cancel...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,885Posts Today

8,808Users online

Martin's Twitter