Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 31,214Posts
    • 36,912Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 8:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 23
    • knack92
    • By knack92 4th Mar 17, 1:40 AM
    • 410 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    knack92
    Clearly you need to do so!
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    The £x for 9 months £y for 3 months was enough for me to be satisfied it is 12 months but I'll be double checking this now! Not that it makes much difference if what you say is correct about not being able to cancel.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Mar 17, 1:48 AM
    • 18,784 Posts
    • 8,946 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I'll be double checking this now
    Originally posted by knack92
    Wise move ....
    • Anon
    • By Anon 4th Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    • 11,690 Posts
    • 128,833 Thanks
    Anon
    Interesting insider perspective on Retentions:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5597414
    • Anon
    • By Anon 4th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    • 11,690 Posts
    • 128,833 Thanks
    Anon
    If you have already accepted the deal then you will now be tied into a new minimum term contract. No amount of "mulling it over at the weekend" will extricate you, I'm afraid. You are too late to cancel (or even threaten to) for another year or more. There is no "cooling off" period for retention deals.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    I am sorry but I believe you are wrong - when I last took up a retention deal I received a revised 12 month contract - it clearly shows the start date as the date of the retention deal and clearly states my right to cancel.

Your right to cancel - you have 14 working days starting from the day after this contract is entered into to cancel it. You can do this by sending a written notice of cancellation to us. We have enclosed a cancellation form. If you have received any equipment under this contract before cancellation, you are responsible for returning it to us at your cost. If we do not receive the equipment back from you , we may arrange collection from your home at your cost.
    The terms are under the Consumer Credit Act.
    • knack92
    • By knack92 4th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    knack92
    I am sorry but I believe you are wrong - when I last took up a retention deal I received a revised 12 month contract - it clearly shows the start date as the date of the retention deal and clearly states my right to cancel.

The terms are under the Consumer Credit Act.
    Originally posted by Anon
    I've found the contract I received last. Here's the letter which came with it: https://www.docdroid.net/WhtYQnR/vm-right-to-cancel-services.pdf.html
    • Anon
    • By Anon 4th Mar 17, 4:13 PM
    • 11,690 Posts
    • 128,833 Thanks
    Anon
    I've found the contract I received last. Here's the letter which came with it: https://www.docdroid.net/WhtYQnR/vm-right-to-cancel-services.pdf.html
    Originally posted by knack92
    Thank you - that suggests if you change services, you can cancel and revert to your original contract. If you have some form of installation then you cannot, though it is a little contradictory!
    • somnus
    • By somnus 6th Mar 17, 4:12 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    somnus
    Managed to catch a call from retentions today. Offered £22.25 a month for 12 months, and a boost to 70Mbps. When the email came through it lists £10 discount for 18 months, so may be even better.
    One year I'll actually hold out to see if they offer an even bigger discount.
    Originally posted by VoucherMan
    I was in the same position as VoucherMan. Was paying £18.25 and was due to go up to £26 then £29.

Retentions offered me the £22.25 first along with an upgrade. I said I'm not bothered about the upgrade and asked to get it cheaper. £20/month was the best he would offer. Said he couldn't offer an 18 month contract and threw in the upgrade anyway.

The follow up e-mail also stated £10 off for 18 months plus a £2.25 monthly credit.
    • miggiwoo
    • By miggiwoo 13th Mar 17, 12:37 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    miggiwoo
    Yes, you can call within the 30 days and remove the cancellation if they don't call/you change your mind.
    I did accept a better deal but then realised that they had knocked off my old V+ box. Rang them up to say that they had offered me my current deal at £58 and could they please put the V+ box back on ( they had switched it off ) but they said I had agreed to cancelling it . To put it back on would be another £6-50 , making it £64-50/ month.
    In a fit of rage I told them to cancel my package and they said ok and would disconnect me in 30 days.
    I received a disconnection email about an hour later.
    Can I still ring them up within 30 days and keep my current package or have I burnt my bridges ?
    I have looked at BT again but am having second thoughts
    thanks
    The truth shall set you free.....................
    • Aye Up
    • By Aye Up 13th Mar 17, 2:35 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Aye Up
    Homeworks+ Vivid 300Mb broadband
    Phoneline with weekend calls
    £47.99 a month
    12 month contract

Can't say I am unhappy at that, they had to ring me in order to get that offer. My package was looking at costing £68 a month with no discounts they were saying. I have had no issues with the broadband over the last 9 months and seeing as VM are the only company to offer those speeds in my area, it didn't leave me with much choice.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 13th Mar 17, 3:31 PM
    • 11,690 Posts
    • 128,833 Thanks
    Anon
    I did accept a better deal but then realised that they had knocked off my old V+ box. Rang them up to say that they had offered me my current deal at £58 and could they please put the V+ box back on ( they had switched it off ) but they said I had agreed to cancelling it . To put it back on would be another £6-50 , making it £64-50/ month.
    In a fit of rage I told them to cancel my package and they said ok and would disconnect me in 30 days.
    I received a disconnection email about an hour later.
    Can I still ring them up within 30 days and keep my current package or have I burnt my bridges ?
    I have looked at BT again but am having second thoughts
    thanks
    Originally posted by miggiwoo
    If you have now put in your 30 days notice, put in an order with BT, during set up indicate you want the set up fee adding on your first bill (avoids advanced payment being made). You will then have 14 days to cancel the BT install but including a number transfer means Virgin will be notified and will hopefully prompt their Outbound team to call. If that fails you can always cancel the cancellation (and the BT install!).
    Last edited by Anon; 13-03-2017 at 7:59 PM.
    • Asghar
    • By Asghar 15th Mar 17, 12:49 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Asghar
    How long does it normally take a retention's offer to show on your account.

Accepted a cheaper deal six days ago with just the phone being downgraded to weekends only, everything else broadband and TV the same. However I have not yet received any email.
    In my online account, the broadband, which was not changed, is now showing 100Mbps instead of the normal 150Mbps (I'm still getting 150Mbps speeds) and the phone, which has changed is still showing as evening and weekends.

Will I have to wait until my next billing cycle for the correct changes, which is normally about two weeks away.
    • Asghar
    • By Asghar 16th Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Asghar
    Just to add, I finally received an email after midnight last night, two in fact hours apart, both identical including a new contract to sign.

It is wrong though and includes,
    Mix TV,
    100Mbps Broadband, should be 150Mbps,
    Telephone Line

Listed as £45 for a 12 month contract, agreed a price of £40 with retention's on the phone.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 16th Mar 17, 11:22 AM
    • 11,690 Posts
    • 128,833 Thanks
    Anon
    Just to add, I finally received an email after midnight last night, two in fact hours apart, both identical including a new contract to sign.

It is wrong though and includes,
    Mix TV,
    100Mbps Broadband, should be 150Mbps,
    Telephone Line

Listed as £45 for a 12 month contract, agreed a price of £40 with retention's on the phone.
    Originally posted by Asghar
    Does it have small print slightly below the price box showing an account credit/discount, as that is how they process some deals?
    • Anon
    • By Anon 16th Mar 17, 11:25 AM
    • 11,690 Posts
    • 128,833 Thanks
    Anon
    How long does it normally take a retention's offer to show on your account.

Accepted a cheaper deal six days ago with just the phone being downgraded to weekends only, everything else broadband and TV the same. However I have not yet received any email.
    In my online account, the broadband, which was not changed, is now showing 100Mbps instead of the normal 150Mbps (I'm still getting 150Mbps speeds) and the phone, which has changed is still showing as evening and weekends.

Will I have to wait until my next billing cycle for the correct changes, which is normally about two weeks away.
    Originally posted by Asghar
    If it is an account credit sometimes shows on MyAccount the same day as changes since last bill or something like that. I am not sure if package changes show until the next bill, but should show your current services.
    • Asghar
    • By Asghar 16th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Asghar
    Does it have small print slightly below the price box showing an account credit/discount, as that is how they process some deals?
    Yes, it states a £10 loyalty discount for 18 months to make the price of £45, after discount has ended it shows £55.

My online account shows a credit of just over £5, will have to ring again to make sure I get the right broadband speed anyway, want to stay on the Vivid 150 mainly because of the higher upload speed.
    • richgoga
    • By richgoga 30th Mar 17, 2:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    richgoga
    Virgin Media retentions...
    After some advice moneysavers!

I've been with VM for 9 years, and I've been getting a pretty good deal for the last 12 months... 150Mbps for £31. The deal has just come to an end so i did the usual dance of call up CS to see what they could do.

Pretty staggered to hear that they could offer nothing. Not a penny off full price. Not only that, the rep even got an attitude on as if I shouldn't even be asking! Told him to just cancel my account.

My question is... do retentions always call you up? I've always had BB only, but they do have my mobile number on file.

Anyone had any success recently?
    • Awilliams1
    • By Awilliams1 30th Mar 17, 6:17 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Awilliams1
    Virgin virgin virgin....
    Sorry If this has been covered recently, coming to the end of my deal which was decent enough. Phoned them last night and the best they could do was an extra £20 a month but upgrading both boxes to V6's.

Had a think about it and phoned back today to confirm that I would like said offer only to be told this offer is now finished and that my package was going up by £60 a month.

Anyone had any experience with this?
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 30th Mar 17, 8:06 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    AndyPK
    You have 30 days? to undo this. So don't panic just yet!

If you don't hear anything in 5 days, it's worth looking round to see what's available:

1. To tell them to haggle
    2. Incase you do end up moving else where
    • richgoga
    • By richgoga 30th Mar 17, 8:53 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    richgoga
    Hi AndyPK, not sure if your reply was meant for me but...

I'm not panicking, there are plenty of providers out there!

Just wondering if anyone has had any success with outbound retentions recently, or if VM have changed tack and are sticking to small discounts, take it or leave kinda thing.

I get the feeling they might be a bit annoyed by the big haggling piece on Martin's live show this week!
    Last edited by richgoga; 30-03-2017 at 8:55 PM.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 30th Mar 17, 11:31 PM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 2,105 Thanks
    cjdavies
    After some advice moneysavers!

I've been with VM for 9 years, and I've been getting a pretty good deal for the last 12 months... 150Mbps for £31. The deal has just come to an end so i did the usual dance of call up CS to see what they could do.

Pretty staggered to hear that they could offer nothing. Not a penny off full price. Not only that, the rep even got an attitude on as if I shouldn't even be asking! Told him to just cancel my account.

My question is... do retentions always call you up? I've always had BB only, but they do have my mobile number on file.

Anyone had any success recently?
    Originally posted by richgoga
    I had a bad experience, they basically told me the same no drop in price, I'm downloading 300-400GB a month, no one else would offer that much. I was on a 50Mbps plus telephone weekends.

30 days notice provided, no call back and it was 4 hours until cut off, I had to phone and had no drop in price.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,525Posts Today

7,610Users online

Martin's Twitter