Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 30,271Posts
    • 35,823Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 8:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 10
    • leew
    • By leew 13th Oct 16, 8:25 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    leew
    Wow, seems I am getting well ripped off judging by some of them deals posted

Going to cancel and hope I get a call... wish me luck!
    • bazray
    • By bazray 14th Oct 16, 12:28 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    bazray
    My bill was going up to over £40 for broadband 50mbps and a landline so I cancelled and went for the mse Sky unlimited broadband adsl, had to pay £20 for bt line and £9.95 for router then £8.70 a month for 12 months with £50 credit coming soon. Works out £7 a month all in. I now have the choice of cable and adsl and fibre in the future so it's well worth it.

Virgin offered £22.50 all in and retentions have called about 4 times but now I have adsl and I'm happy, 17mbps down and 1.2 up, and saving a packet

Bt openreach guy fitted the line and said loads of people are leaving Virginmedia as they rip off loyal customers all the time.

The ways I see it is a bit like energy bills now, just switch every 12 months or when they hike the price mid contract.
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 14th Oct 16, 11:08 AM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 2,615 Thanks
    latecomer
    Result
    had my call from Retentions
    was offered
    100mg Broadband (up from 50mg)
    TV (M package)
    Phone (weekend calls)
    new Super Hub 3 Router
    new Tivo Box
    all for £25 a month (for 12 months) he said it should be £50
    ohh and no activation fee (said it was £14.99)

I snapped his hand off, well pleased

so basiclly I got the same package as i had before with 50mg increase, a new Tivo box and a new super Hub 3 for £25, when with the increase it wouldd of been £47
    Originally posted by bignred05
    Including line rental?
    • bignred05
    • By bignred05 14th Oct 16, 3:22 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    bignred05
    Including line rental?
    Originally posted by latecomer
    Ohh Yes

also I'm now getting an extra £5 off foir the next 2 months, due to poor broadband signal

I was quoted £25 a month, my bill states £38.99 with a £15 credit for 12 months (£24 )
    • patricia1066
    • By patricia1066 15th Oct 16, 10:09 AM
    • 212 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    patricia1066
    Including line rental?
    Do you have to change landline and email address every time? that would be the problem with swopping for me. @bazray comment wrongly linked to latecomer
    Last edited by patricia1066; 15-10-2016 at 10:14 AM. Reason: wrong quote
    • drondo
    • By drondo 15th Oct 16, 2:11 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    drondo
    £38 (after the price rise in November) for Basic TV (I don't watch any premium channels at all) = 50Mbits/s Broadband +Landline (which i don't need). My existing deal was for a few extra channels and 100Mbits/s Broadband at £52/month.

12 month contract.

I feel that I should have got a better deal though....?

Interestingly I went to cancel with EE mobile (now part of BT) and they offered me £32.50/month for same deal BUT an Engineer would have to come round and drill into my house and they would charge me £62 for the privilege so no go.
    Last edited by drondo; 15-10-2016 at 2:15 PM.
    • keran77
    • By keran77 16th Oct 16, 4:35 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 1,883 Thanks
    keran77
    Last month I cancelled Virgin Media as the bills were increasing by too much. I did my homework using the advice on MSE for haggling with broadband, phone line providers as I was unhappy paying £45 for broadband, phone and TiVo.

Without much effort the retentions person offered me two good deals yesterday. I had a think over night and had 3 questions left the first about imminent price hikes of £3.50. I paid line saver (annual payment saving of £40+). It means over the next 12 months my bills will be £176 cheaper and I asked for the super hub 3 router which is being given free too (£14.99) so better Internet.

If you are calling Virgin Media be prepared in terms of time. I spent 30 minutes waiting for my call to be answered on both days.

Good luck MSErs!
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 16th Oct 16, 8:06 PM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 2,615 Thanks
    latecomer
    Ohh Yes

also I'm now getting an extra £5 off foir the next 2 months, due to poor broadband signal

I was quoted £25 a month, my bill states £38.99 with a £15 credit for 12 months (£24 )
    Originally posted by bignred05
    Result!

It seems the anytime calls is the thing that causes us the most problem when it comes to negotiating - but each year we've had it down at £30. Still haven't had a call back from retentions but I'll happy wait another week before getting worried
    • patricia1066
    • By patricia1066 17th Oct 16, 2:44 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    patricia1066
    Im on the basic phone and 50mb broadband package, anticipating the dual increase in line rental saver of £12 pa, and the Nov rise of £2.50 pm for bb. Current monthly £11.00 to increase to £13.50. My current discount is due to expire in 2017 so before committing myself to the line saver I had to sort out my other options.

I found offers for adsl for £18 including line rental, but fibre would be more expensive elsewhere.

I cancelled Virgin and tried to get line rental plus fibre for under £25 but couldn't see any reputable offers.

I rang virgin retention, and said I am looking at adsl, but didn't disagree when the agent said I'd be disappointed with the service.

She offered line saver at current price £184 to extend saver for 12 months, and said that with 12 month contract she would extend the £8 loyalty discount through the term.

I asked her for the £3 off for 6 months and after initially refusing, she found the code and added it on.

So Nov to March £10.48, April to September £13.48 line saver £184 til 13 December 2017.

It's not easy getting reductions from the base rates, as the fibre competition isn't great yet.
    Last edited by patricia1066; 17-10-2016 at 2:52 PM.
    • anderson8
    • By anderson8 17th Oct 16, 5:08 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 2,040 Thanks
    anderson8
    Got a call from retentions today

50mb broadband
    Weekend calls
    Mix TV package

£25 a month/12 month contract
    Including line rental

We're more than happy, it's a better tv package than we were on for less than half what we were paying
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 18th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    • 6,441 Posts
    • 51,838 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    How long are VM retentions taking to call you these days?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 18th Oct 16, 12:42 PM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 2,615 Thanks
    latecomer
    Took about 5 days to call us but then I've not been in so they have called back several times. I've yet to be able to speak to them but have about 10 days left before disconnection
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 18th Oct 16, 2:37 PM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 2,615 Thanks
    latecomer
    Had a call back today while I was working from home. Cut a long story short I've been offered everything I currently have for £16 a month:

TV M
    phone XL with multi-talk add on for mobiles etc
    BB 50Mbps
    And a new router

Engineer is booked for friday afternoon to try and resolve the broadband and he should have a look at the Tivo box too.

I mentioned I'd signed up for the Sky offer via MSE and after she checked whether it was connected or not we discussed offers. We've been with them for 9 years so she said it was much better to give loyal customers a good deal then to lose them.

I was told I'd get everything in writing so wont count my chickens until I see that but I'm pretty happy. Need to try my hand with O2 now
    • AndyBSG
    • By AndyBSG 18th Oct 16, 4:23 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 1,005 Thanks
    AndyBSG
    I'm now out of contract with Virgin so after a bit of advice on how to negotiate.

Package we had is for BB, TV and phone with free weekend calls.

It worked out at just under £40 a month for the first 12 months but then went up almost £20 with the introductory offer expiry and annual increase.

Happy with everything we've got but really want to get it back to under £40 so can I just phone up and ask to be put through to retention's immediately or do I have to call their bluff and actually cancel and hope someone contacts me before the cancellation goes ahead?
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 18th Oct 16, 5:02 PM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 2,615 Thanks
    latecomer
    You need to cancel before you get to speak to retentions and you need to wait for them to call. You can sometimes get a decent deal just by speaking to customer services once you've gone through the menu selecting you are thing of leaving but the best come from retentions.
    • anderson8
    • By anderson8 18th Oct 16, 5:42 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 2,040 Thanks
    anderson8
    Latecomer
    is £16 a month including line rental?
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 18th Oct 16, 6:48 PM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 2,615 Thanks
    latecomer
    Apparently it does! I'll wait until I see the paperwork before I fully believe it to be honest - hopefully it will be emailed tomorrow so I can check it over
    • anderson8
    • By anderson8 18th Oct 16, 7:39 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 2,040 Thanks
    anderson8
    Apparently it does! I'll wait until I see the paperwork before I fully believe it to be honest - hopefully it will be emailed tomorrow so I can check it over
    if its true then that is by far the best deal ive ever seen on here!
    i thought mine(almost same deal) at £25 was a bargain
    hopefully its true for you, and useful to know as my parents are looking for a better deal with VM
    • Jaffa cake
    • By Jaffa cake 18th Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Jaffa cake
    Does that £19.99 a month include line rental ?
    Originally posted by bazray

That is the sum total of my payment.
    No extra.
    The line rental is in there.

Jaffa
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 19th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 2,615 Thanks
    latecomer
    if its true then that is by far the best deal ive ever seen on here!
    i thought mine(almost same deal) at £25 was a bargain
    hopefully its true for you, and useful to know as my parents are looking for a better deal with VM
    Originally posted by anderson8
    Well I've just had the confirmation email regarding the line rental saver being paid by me for the following year which I was told to expect (same as last year) but no charge should go on the credit card.

I did go over the details several times just to make sure we both had the same understanding so I'm hopeful as I've never had a problem with something thats been offered by retentions - probably because I do my best to make sure I've checked every aspect of the offer prior to agreeing. Bit OCD when it comes to spending my money

EDIT: Note that I cant stress enough being prepared for the call with alternative deals. The MSE sky deal was that I discussed (half price line rental and free broadband), making sure I included the unlimited calls add on to make the package the same as what I have with Virgin so it was a direct comparison.
    Remember that they dont owe you anything and try to keep the discussion pleasant. Its not helpful to get annoyed/angry - if you are not getting anywhere just tell them you want to think about it and ask them to call back and you will probably get someone else next time.
    Last edited by latecomer; 19-10-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,127Posts Today

6,046Users online

Martin's Twitter