Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    • 11,760Posts
    • 34,012Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread 16th Jun 16 at 8:27 PM
    Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

Please see post number 2 for all the relevant information on the thread. Savvybuyer's excellent lists are in the subsequent posts.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!
    Last edited by redfox; 16-06-2016 at 9:38 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 4008
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 19th May 17, 11:09 AM
    • 8,570 Posts
    • 53,923 Thanks
    LEJC
    WARNING this is what our friendly young sa said to us this morning.
    A couple of weeks ago she said they had a meeting about apgs, she came away seething but didn't tell us why.
    This morning she shows us the folder they have under the till A4 size with the dos and donts in it.
    there was a sheet titled APG that apparently has been circulated to all stores.
    Adsa is aware with the 342 promotion that apgs are being used, it stated the sa are within there right to refuse them on this promotion.
    I only skim read this as other staff around but I think that's the gist of it
    Our sa said shes not bothered, and she thinks its great what we do but she hasn't got the time to do herself, she hasn't even got a printer!!
    As has previously been stated may be wise to keep under 10 and possisbly use ss
    She also said beware only using 10 or under apgs a month (which we know) All staff have been briefed she said nationwide
    Originally posted by HILLBERN
    Although in practice this is going to be impossible for them to carry out,surely.
    I understand that if you do a target shop then you are likely to get an APG.. and in reality target shops are probably only done by a small minority of the shoppers through the store.....what happens if you are a genuine "muggle" shopper who happens to have obtained an APG by means of a promotion????

I shop at A occasionally...and as such do sometimes make use of a glitch but are they really going to challenge every customer using an APG to clarify if it was generated as a result of a promotional shop......I dont think so.

If they want to stop the APG being generated on promotions then they need to take that via their computer systems and take more care over how they and their competitors use price comparison sites....which again is a hill too far to climb!

And only using 10 APG's per month how do you even go about monitoring that.....

just my thoughts.....
    frugal October...45.59 of 40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan 41.60/40
    Feb 54.58/40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar 37.02/40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    May
    2017 toiletries 62 out 77 in ...13.96 spend
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 19th May 17, 11:10 AM
    • 13,876 Posts
    • 237,366 Thanks
    Snap-ant
    Quiz
    hornetgirl was yesterday's smartest player!

22 players played.

http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=99008

Today's Topic (Friday): *** FunTrivia Mixed Bag

Our Family Motto ~
    ♦ If all else fails - read the instructions ♦

• Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 19th May 17, 11:16 AM
    • 13,876 Posts
    • 237,366 Thanks
    Snap-ant

Decisions tomorrow.

A Jumble Sale

Pity they died out when Car Boots started

or the opening of a B&M store

or both

so easily pleased
    Our Family Motto ~
    ♦ If all else fails - read the instructions ♦

• choclate24
    • By choclate24 19th May 17, 11:21 AM
    • 503 Posts
    • 7,661 Thanks
    choclate24
    Can someone remind me how you do app on self service, and do you never need them checked, thanks
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 19th May 17, 11:26 AM
    • 8,570 Posts
    • 53,923 Thanks
    LEJC
    Had something like this yesterday. An SA came up to me and said they were checking all APG's over 10 and said that 3 that I'd used were out of date!!

She only looked at the date of when I printed them.

The look on her face when I pointed it out to her was priceless!

But she said that they did know about the 3 for 2 glitch!! And they are looking at peeps using a lot of APG's.
    Originally posted by scamps1966
    I bet you just fronted it out though scamps....

I've got to be honest that if SA's started challenging me on my shopping and it wasn't a "definate" attempt at gaining an APG i'd be raising a complaint quicker than they raised their prices....
    and if I happened to be in a queue of people who were all being held up because of an interrogation at the front of the queue they would also get to hear about it from me.

It's bad enough shopping on a Saturday as it is without every receipt then being the subject of a referral to the assistant,then a supervisor and then possibly a member of management.

Customers just wont take it.....

I do very few actual glitch shops nowadays...most APG's I generate are from wombles.....which to all intents and purposes are legitimate receipts for peoples shopping....(I dont think I have ever found a glitchy womble).....customers do not want or need to be interrogated over their purchase habits by a supermarket....thats a sure fire way to make them leave and shop elsewhere.
    Jan 41.60/40
    May
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 19th May 17, 11:28 AM
    • 8,570 Posts
    • 53,923 Thanks
    LEJC

Decisions tomorrow.

A Jumble Sale

or both

so easily pleased
    Originally posted by Snap-ant
    is there a goody bag for the first 100 shoppers at the B&M..my local is offering something similar when it relaunches in a few weeks.....

...a goody bag always sways it for me....but then I'd be off to the jumble sale for at least a cup of tea and a piece of cake!
    Jan 41.60/40
    May
    • HILLBERN
    • By HILLBERN 19th May 17, 11:33 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 24,312 Thanks
    HILLBERN
    Although in practice this is going to be impossible for them to carry out,surely.
    I understand that if you do a target shop then you are likely to get an APG.. and in reality target shops are probably only done by a small minority of the shoppers through the store.....what happens if you are a genuine "muggle" shopper who happens to have obtained an APG by means of a promotion????

I shop at A occasionally...and as such do sometimes make use of a glitch but are they really going to challenge every customer using an APG to clarify if it was generated as a result of a promotional shop......I dont think so.

If they want to stop the APG being generated on promotions then they need to take that via their computer systems and take more care over how they and their competitors use price comparison sites....which again is a hill too far to climb!

And only using 10 APG's per month how do you even go about monitoring that.....

just my thoughts.....
    Originally posted by LEJC
    Yes I agree I don't know how they can monitor this.!!hopefully they cant
    But my store is fairly small with only 2 or 3 sa at the tills so it is difficult to keep under the radar, even when DH pops in on the way home from work for milk or bread, many of the sa say hello to him.
    He will go to ss but the same sa monitor the ss from their own till and then call someone over if needed, its usually the sa on cs that comes. But she/he is again multi tasking.. usually dealing with the c+c orders as well.
    It seems chaos when seeing it written down but in practise it does work!!
    its even more embarrassing when getting a c+c and over the tannoy "Mr HILLBERN" is here to collect his order, and within minutes someone is pushing the green trollies through the store and that's before he has even given his name
    We aren't in the store all the time, im only there once a week max and that's usually between Friday/sunday but I don't go and use the extra petrol when DH can pop in on the way home from work. So my conclusion is - its DH whos noticed not me
    • ROCKINGHAM
    • By ROCKINGHAM 19th May 17, 11:35 AM
    • 872 Posts
    • 8,500 Thanks
    ROCKINGHAM
    Morning all - luving your attitude JTS. You definitely " Ring my Bell"

Typical Adsa blaming customers for their system errors - still don't care as long they don't fix it.

Hope everyone is having a Good Day xx
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 19th May 17, 11:37 AM
    • 8,570 Posts
    • 53,923 Thanks
    LEJC
    ....so everytime there is a promotion on at A are they saying that any receipt containing a promotion that generates an APG will not be valid....

it kind of makes a mockery of any promotion....and the APG

From a marketing point of view a promotion is all about generating additional sales of a product....
    Whats to say that a lot of the mullers that got sold a while back were anything other than a damn good deal on promotion......
    thats why I bought them....they appeared to be on the shelf something like 30p each.....it wasnt until I got home and fed my receipt through A own technology that I discovered that it generated an APG......

Is the message that A want to promote then....come and buy things on promotion...but any APG generated by a receipt with any promotion on is invalid...

that just about possibly covers any apg now....whether thats a targeted glitch shop or even a muggle.

From a customer retention point of view they may as well scrap the APG and watch the customers leave as no doubt S saw a little when they dropped brand match.....
    Last edited by LEJC; 19-05-2017 at 11:43 AM.
    Jan 41.60/40
    May
    • ChelseaFred
    • By ChelseaFred 19th May 17, 11:38 AM
    • 324 Posts
    • 4,462 Thanks
    ChelseaFred
    A couple of weeks ago she said they had a meeting about apgs, she came away seething but didn't tell us why.
    This morning she shows us the folder they have under the till A4 size with the dos and donts in it.
    Adsa is aware with the 342 promotion that apgs are being used, it stated the sa are within there right to refuse them on this promotion.
    Our sa said shes not bothered, and she thinks its great what we do but she hasn't got the time to do herself, she hasn't even got a printer!!
    She also said beware only using 10 or under apgs a month (which we know) All staff have been briefed she said nationwide
    Morning all!
    Just parked outside A, just going in with "several" page between 10 and 20 so fingers crossed!
    Anyone got results of a test shop this morning?

ChelseaFred😊
    • Lima-India
    • By Lima-India 19th May 17, 11:45 AM
    • 338 Posts
    • 1,842 Thanks
    Lima-India
    Here's my Right Gaurd shop v S. Thought it may be useful for the fillers.

9 items (8 different) on your receipt qualify for comparison
    A v S
    1x Right Guard Total 5 Defence Fresh 48H Anti-Perspirant Deodorant (250ml) 2.00 1.50
    0.1x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Red Onion (order by number of onions or select kg) (per kg) 0.08 0.08
    1x Right Guard Total Defence 5 Cool 48H Anti-Perspirant Deodorant (250ml) 2.00 1.50
    1x Right Guard Total 5 Defence Clean 48H Anti-Perspirant Deodorant (250ml) 2.00 1.50
    1x Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire Tea Bedtime Brew Tea Bags (100g) 2.00 N/A
    1x Right Guard Total 5 Defence Original 48H Anti-Perspirant Deodorant (250ml) 2.00 1.50
    0.15x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Banana (order by number of bananas or select kg) (per kg) 0.10 N/A
    0.12x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Onion (order by number of onions or select kg) (per kg) 0.09 0.09
    1x Cadbury Curly Wurly Bar (26g) 0.35 0.25
    2x Right Guard Total 5 Defence Sport 48H Anti-Perspirant Deodorant (250ml) 4.00 3.00
    Comparison total (compared products only) 12.52 9.42

Cost 10.62 (had 8.74 APG from Sharpies) - returned an APG 4.05, 2 from Shopmium for teabags.
    Last edited by Lima-India; 19-05-2017 at 1:13 PM.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 19th May 17, 11:49 AM
    • 8,570 Posts
    • 53,923 Thanks
    LEJC
    Morning all!
    Just parked outside A, just going in with "several" page between 10 and 20 so fingers crossed!
    Anyone got results of a test shop this morning?

ChelseaFred😊
    Originally posted by ChelseaFred
    Fred...you are one of thousands of customers through their store today....front them out.
    What gives them he right to challenge your shopping habits over any other customers....

They enticed you with a good promotion which you took advantage of stocking up for personal consumption over the next few months

they offered the service of an apg checker....you checked and they allowed you to print an apg

They are now obliged to allow you to spend it or show you explicitly in the APG terms where it says you cant.
    Jan 41.60/40
    May
    • aau1
    • By aau1 19th May 17, 12:10 PM
    • 18,646 Posts
    • 322,126 Thanks
    aau1
    Fred...you are one of thousands of customers through their store today....front them out.
    What gives them he right to challenge your shopping habits over any other customers....

They enticed you with a good promotion which you took advantage of stocking up for personal consumption over the next few months

they offered the service of an apg checker....you checked and they allowed you to print an apg

They are now obliged to allow you to spend it or show you explicitly in the APG terms where it says you cant.
    Originally posted by LEJC
    You say that as though it's not in the T&Cs:

We may withhold or refuse payment and/or withdraw or suspend the Asda Price Guarantee (or any part of it) at any time without notice where we suspect fraud or abuse, or where vouchers have been incorrectly calculated. The Asda Price Guarantee is limited to one claim per comparison.
    by Point 23 in the T&Cs
    https://www.asdapriceguarantee.co.uk/terms.html
    Last edited by aau1; 19-05-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is the word a moorhen
    • mrsmac10
    • By mrsmac10 19th May 17, 12:17 PM
    • 3,424 Posts
    • 45,115 Thanks
    mrsmac10
    Afternoon

I am keeping mine for Blackpool Asda

I only have two around ten pounds and happy with the others I still think that the right guard is on my list for tomorrow
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 19th May 17, 12:22 PM
    • 17,870 Posts
    • 190,854 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    MORNING ALL

bit delayed as had to read a book 'lord of the flies' maybe its just not captivating enough, I've just finished it so for that I am relieved also just written my book review for it but think maybe I have been too harsh. I was recommended it as its a classic which won a nobel prize......... I was just after anyone elses' take on it x
    Originally posted by sarahskint
    I must have read it when i was about 10 and loved it then,not sure what I would think of it now though! I think it was the idea of beating the odds, ok they went back to basics, but they survived.

Decisions tomorrow.

A Jumble Sale

or both

so easily pleased
    Originally posted by Snap-ant
    Both, definitely. I used to love Jumble sales, not been one around here for ages.

I have discovered something today, I have spent ages looking for a comfy pair of trainers but very few have decent arches in them. Went down T, tried theirs on and they are WONDERFUL. They have the highest arch on them of any of the trainers I have had or tried on recently. I would even pay more than my normal 10 - 15 for them
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 19th May 17, 12:24 PM
    • 8,570 Posts
    • 53,923 Thanks
    LEJC
    I take your point aau....however what is the purpose of a promotion if it is not to generate additional sales of a product....and when a product is on offer or promotion that is an ideal time to stock up....no fraud or abuse intended....which is why in one of my other posts I referred to "personal consumption"

To try to use the umbrella term of "abuse" might fly in the face of the implication of a promotion or offer....

To my knowledge it's A that set the perimeters of how an APG is calculated,not me so again if they want to use inconsistent data then they run the risk of upsetting many many customers in refusing to accept APG's
    Its not just glitch shoppers who use the APG system....many other shoppers do to and whilst they may wish to target glitch shoppers they face upsetting a huge amount of genuine shoppers in the process.
    again just my thoughts and not meant to challenge you or the terms and conditions
    Last edited by LEJC; 19-05-2017 at 12:35 PM.
    Jan 41.60/40
    May
    • Anon
    • By Anon 19th May 17, 12:33 PM
    • 11,582 Posts
    • 127,725 Thanks
    Anon
    Do they mean refuse to accept an APG towards a shop where you are buying promotional items, or refuse an APG where the receipt includes a promo? Not that it matters I suppose, either would be an inconvenience.

It seems using APGs on SS can draw less attention to you (usually - when the voucher and receipts scan correctly). If it doesn't (and depending on what is on the receipt ), I will pay cash/CC rather than ask them to process it and draw attention to myself.

It is best trying not to make a big deal about it and avoid having discussions with staff/management about it that would draw further attention - our shopping habits are still likely in the minority (more so since they don't exactly draw attention to APG instore any more, so are not really encouraging muggles to use it).

Ultimately, with glitches, we know we are gaming their system (even with targeted shops, we probably are), so we are not really in a position to complain if they try to make our game more difficult or enforce any of their published T&Cs (10 vouchers/100 max per month per household etc). There is always another store to go to .

Much as it is helpful, I sometimes think that we risk drawing too much attention to ourselves by listing our results so openly and sometimes explaining in too much detail about how a glitch is working (I am guilty of this too, so I am not having a go ) - we know the newspapers (and other deal websites) sometimes pick up on these sorts of things and then we will face the backlash. Arguably, if they cut the APG most muggle customers would not even be aware, as only mainly Elite and like-minded friends would be affected.

Anon
    Last edited by Anon; 19-05-2017 at 12:38 PM.
    • sarahskint
    • By sarahskint 19th May 17, 12:40 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 10,569 Thanks
    sarahskint
    all asda had to do was put the offer to run both instore and online and have it actually work........
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 19th May 17, 12:41 PM
    • 6,690 Posts
    • 54,153 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    I must have read it when i was about 10 and loved it then,not sure what I would think of it now though! I think it was the idea of beating the odds, ok they went back to basics, but they survived.

Both, definitely. I used to love Jumble sales, not been one around here for ages.

I have discovered something today, I have spent ages looking for a comfy pair of trainers but very few have decent arches in them. Went down T, tried theirs on and they are WONDERFUL. They have the highest arch on them of any of the trainers I have had or tried on recently. I would even pay more than my normal 10 - 15 for them
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    Do you know if they sell these online? I was looking for some too, but don't have a large T unless I make a special trip.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • Anon
    • By Anon 19th May 17, 12:47 PM
    • 11,582 Posts
    • 127,725 Thanks
    Anon
    all A had to do was put the offer to run both instore and online and have it actually work........
    Originally posted by sarahskint
    Very good point - it is only the fact that it is not online that has enabled this glitch.

Anon
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

155Posts Today

1,207Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin