Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    • 11,883Posts
    • 34,376Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread 16th Jun 16 at 8:27 PM
    Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

Please see post number 2 for all the relevant information on the thread. Savvybuyer's excellent lists are in the subsequent posts.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!
    Last edited by redfox; 16-06-2016 at 9:38 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 4007
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 19th May 17, 8:35 AM
    • 18,128 Posts
    • 192,874 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Thanks very tempting.
    Plus the 25% off 6 bottles of wine.
    Originally posted by curl girl
    I shall be avoiding the wine, Our wine rack is full along with the surrounding boxes
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 19th May 17, 8:36 AM
    • 32,191 Posts
    • 435,862 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Morning paw sniffers

Last push before a week off work. I did a mountain of work last night in the hope of an early finish today. Watch this space

I will have a good read back later but just reading the news about the terrible incident in Times Square and how journalism is pushing the boundaries. Do we really need to see the faces of the dying and injured to fully feel the injustice of it all
    Do people have any no rights to privacy anymore or is it outweighed in the fulfilment of public interest?

It's starting to feel like that Jake Gyllenhaal's film

Rant over.

Catch you later peeps
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 19th May 17, 8:37 AM
    • 18,128 Posts
    • 192,874 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Can anyone remember where to find the amazon fillers please? I know my order will be well over £20 but there is often some real bargains among that lot.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 19th May 17, 8:45 AM
    • 18,128 Posts
    • 192,874 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Just been reading about the son of a man that won £101 million on the lottery. Apparently the day promised the son he would never have to worry about money again. He gave his son £1 million which he promptly spent, buying a house for £550,000, gave away £250,000 etc, spent the money within a month and gave up a highly paid IT job. Then went back to his dad for more, ended up with another half a million, then asked for more which was refused.

He then SUED his dad saying that he should have to support him for life.

Judge Nigel Gerald dismissed the claim, saying Dave Dawes did not need to keep “bailing out his profligate son”. He said: “There was no basis on which any rational or normal human being could conclude that they could go back for more money whenever they wanted.”

What got me though was at one point, the pair were spending up to £30,000 a month, including £1,000 a week on groceries. The judge compared their lifestyle to “some sort of Walter Mitty existence”.

Can you imagine any of us blowing £1 million that quickly
    • Anon
    • By Anon 19th May 17, 8:52 AM
    • 11,695 Posts
    • 128,876 Thanks
    Anon
    Just been reading about the son of a man that won £101 million on the lottery. Apparently the day promised the son he would never have to worry about money again. He gave his son £1 million which he promptly spent, buying a house for £550,000, gave away £250,000 etc, spent the money within a month and gave up a highly paid IT job. Then went back to his dad for more, ended up with another half a million, then asked for more which was refused.

He then SUED his dad saying that he should have to support him for life.

Judge Nigel Gerald dismissed the claim, saying Dave Dawes did not need to keep “bailing out his profligate son”. He said: “There was no basis on which any rational or normal human being could conclude that they could go back for more money whenever they wanted.”

What got me though was at one point, the pair were spending up to £30,000 a month, including £1,000 a week on groceries. The judge compared their lifestyle to “some sort of Walter Mitty existence”.

Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    I struggle to spend large online APGs, when I have them, as spending £40 in one basket is alien to me .

Where did he get the money to sue his dad? Obviously found a willing lawyer looking to make money from them too!

I am sure I may let the brakes off a little if I had that much - but would still not waste money .

Anon
    Last edited by Anon; 19-05-2017 at 8:54 AM.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 19th May 17, 8:57 AM
    • 18,128 Posts
    • 192,874 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    I struggle to spend large online APGs, when I have them, as spending £40 in one basket is alien to me .

Where did he get the money to sue his dad? Obviously found a willing lawyer looking to make money from them too!

I am sure I may let the brakes off a little if I had that much - but would still not waste money .

Anon
    Originally posted by Anon
    That is a very good question, and it doesn't actually say, probably expecting his father to pay when he won!

Michael Dawes has not spoken to his father and stepmother since a falling out at her birthday party when he demanded £5m more and verbally abused Angie Dawes. He has also accused them of being arrogant and ungenerous of spirit. Bit of a hypocrite!!

Here's the story http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/lottery-millionaires-son-spent-%C2%A316m-%E2%80%93-then-sued-his-father-for-more-cash/ar-BBBhrOt?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartanntp
    • diluvsdiscounts
    • By diluvsdiscounts 19th May 17, 9:08 AM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 29,901 Thanks
    diluvsdiscounts
    Ermmmm.......

I could probably give it a good go, although I like a good glitch I have no problem spending money.
    The flannels order arrived, the prices on the labels added up to £730, cost us £73, happy days.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 19th May 17, 9:26 AM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 54,448 Thanks
    LEJC
    Good morning all...

Hope JTS and his labouring dog have made good progress through the night....and one is now asleep and the other revelling in new motherhood!

Still no email for me from the shoes evaluation suite...if it comes it comes if not then all in all the testing was good whilst it lasted....

I forgot earlier in the week to mention all the younger elite that are now taking exams and wish them luck over the next few weeks....and mums and dads..keep those fridges stocked well with snacks and wine and beer....it really helps to get you all through!

DS is on his way home sometime this weekend....his last end of module test is today...but he has enough credits from previous modules to already give him full credits for this years work...can't believe just how quickly this first year at Uni has gone....although he isn't actually giving up his pod until the end of June so he wont be fully home for the summer until then.
    I believe he's been out and bought his bottle of prosecco for a little celebration tonight....I cant imagine who he takes after,suffice to say his dad and I will probably sit in the garden with a bottle too this evening and raise a quiet toast to the end of his first year!

I'm spending the day trying to declutter a space in DS's bedroom to house all the stuff that needs to come back over the next month or so...at this point I have no idea what he has intention of bringing home but the fact that he is starting the declutter his end this week makes me think there could be quite a bit.

Have a lovely day all....and hopefully the sun will at least shine a little on all of us.
    frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    Feb £54.58/£40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar £37.02/£40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    May
    2017 toiletries 78 out 79 in ...£13.96 spend
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 19th May 17, 9:28 AM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 71,326 Thanks
    Chrisv
    Can anyone remember where to find the amazon fillers please? I know my order will be well over £20 but there is often some real bargains among that lot.
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    Is this what you mean

http://www.supersaverdeliverytool.com/
    Not wanting something is as good as possessing it – Donald Horban
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 19th May 17, 9:33 AM
    • 18,128 Posts
    • 192,874 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Originally posted by Chrisv
    Thank you

The only one I had managed to find was the 10ways one and I don't want to earn them any more money than I have to
    • elliemoo
    • By elliemoo 19th May 17, 9:39 AM
    • 4,092 Posts
    • 43,997 Thanks
    elliemoo
    Good morning, happy Friday.

Day off from exams here, so DD having a lie in.

Have a good day all.
    • 3Dogs
    • By 3Dogs 19th May 17, 10:18 AM
    • 13,386 Posts
    • 139,248 Thanks
    3Dogs
    Good morning Elite

Mr 3Dogs 3-7-12 3Dogs'Mam 31-3-13
    FRUGAL groceries Oct £55.98 Nov £62.96 Dec £43.46 Jan £68.88 Feb £86.58 Mar X Apr £52.73 May X June £33.21/£75.00
    NSD Oct 18 Nov 16 Dec 21 Jan 16 Feb 19 Mar 19 Apr 20 May 16 June 18/16
    eBay Oct £116.33 Nov £76.71 Dec £60.96 Jan £71.28 Feb £24.12 Mar £104.04 Apr £10.75
    • sarahskint
    • By sarahskint 19th May 17, 10:23 AM
    • 809 Posts
    • 10,681 Thanks
    sarahskint
    MORNING ALL

bit delayed as had to read a book 'lord of the flies' maybe its just not captivating enough, I've just finished it so for that I am relieved also just written my book review for it but think maybe I have been too harsh. I was recommended it as its a classic which won a nobel prize......... I was just after anyone elses' take on it x
    • sarahskint
    • By sarahskint 19th May 17, 10:26 AM
    • 809 Posts
    • 10,681 Thanks
    sarahskint
    I have one more book to do, so need to read something ridiculously racy and rude to liven up my reviews.

Every year I do this challenge along with my boys primary school read 6 books in 6 weeks and do a review and picture. I go get my certificate in assembly also

So I always read 4 books of stuff crime wise, love my lee child ones. then I always read a classic and a book of smut
    • HILLBERN
    • By HILLBERN 19th May 17, 10:43 AM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 24,838 Thanks
    HILLBERN
    WARNING this is what our friendly young sa said to us this morning.
    A couple of weeks ago she said they had a meeting about apgs, she came away seething but didn't tell us why.
    This morning she shows us the folder they have under the till A4 size with the dos and donts in it.
    there was a sheet titled APG that apparently has been circulated to all stores.
    Adsa is aware with the 342 promotion that apgs are being used, it stated the sa are within there right to refuse them on this promotion.
    I only skim read this as other staff around but I think that's the gist of it
    Our sa said shes not bothered, and she thinks its great what we do but she hasn't got the time to do herself, she hasn't even got a printer!!
    As has previously been stated may be wise to keep under £10 and possisbly use ss
    She also said beware only using 10 or under apgs a month (which we know) All staff have been briefed she said nationwide
    • scamps1966
    • By scamps1966 19th May 17, 10:57 AM
    • 5,264 Posts
    • 92,594 Thanks
    scamps1966
    A couple of weeks ago she said they had a meeting about apgs, she came away seething but didn't tell us why.
    This morning she shows us the folder they have under the till A4 size with the dos and donts in it.
    Adsa is aware with the 342 promotion that apgs are being used, it stated the sa are within there right to refuse them on this promotion.
    Our sa said shes not bothered, and she thinks its great what we do but she hasn't got the time to do herself, she hasn't even got a printer!!
    As has previously been stated may be wise to keep under £10 and possisbly use ss
    She also said beware only using 10 or under apgs a month (which we know) All staff have been briefed she said nationwide
    Originally posted by HILLBERN
    Had something like this yesterday. An SA came up to me and said they were checking all APG's over £10 and said that 3 that I'd used were out of date!!

She only looked at the date of when I printed them.

The look on her face when I pointed it out to her was priceless!

But she said that they did know about the 3 for 2 glitch!! And they are looking at peeps using a lot of APG's.
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 19th May 17, 11:00 AM
    • 14,023 Posts
    • 239,043 Thanks
    Snap-ant
    Good Morning

Puppies JTS we need photos please

Enterprise - my mouth is open regarding the cheeky son - His Dad had already bailed him out numerous times.
    Our Family Motto ~
    ♦ If all else fails - read the instructions ♦

• LEJC
    • By LEJC 19th May 17, 11:09 AM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 54,448 Thanks
    LEJC
    Originally posted by HILLBERN
    Although in practice this is going to be impossible for them to carry out,surely.
    I understand that if you do a target shop then you are likely to get an APG.. and in reality target shops are probably only done by a small minority of the shoppers through the store.....what happens if you are a genuine "muggle" shopper who happens to have obtained an APG by means of a promotion????

I shop at A occasionally...and as such do sometimes make use of a glitch but are they really going to challenge every customer using an APG to clarify if it was generated as a result of a promotional shop......I dont think so.

If they want to stop the APG being generated on promotions then they need to take that via their computer systems and take more care over how they and their competitors use price comparison sites....which again is a hill too far to climb!

And only using 10 APG's per month how do you even go about monitoring that.....

just my thoughts.....
    frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    Feb £54.58/£40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar £37.02/£40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    May
    2017 toiletries 78 out 79 in ...£13.96 spend
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 19th May 17, 11:10 AM
    • 14,023 Posts
    • 239,043 Thanks
    Snap-ant
    Quiz
    hornetgirl was yesterday's smartest player!

22 players played.

http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=99008

Today's Topic (Friday): *** FunTrivia Mixed Bag

Our Family Motto ~

• Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 19th May 17, 11:16 AM
    • 14,023 Posts
    • 239,043 Thanks
    Snap-ant

Decisions tomorrow.

A Jumble Sale

Pity they died out when Car Boots started

or the opening of a B&M store

or both

so easily pleased
    Our Family Motto ~

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

220Posts Today

1,253Users online

Martin's Twitter