Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    • 11,658Posts
    • 33,904Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread 16th Jun 16 at 8:27 PM
    Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

Please see post number 2 for all the relevant information on the thread. Savvybuyer's excellent lists are in the subsequent posts.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!
    Last edited by redfox; 16-06-2016 at 9:38 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 3427
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 16th Mar 17, 8:22 AM
    • 17,608 Posts
    • 188,888 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Good morning all, cloudy one here but fine.

Have to scan in the wedding photos today, DD wants a picture of my wedding dress as she is considering wearing it

I'll just off load my dreadful news

My sister has lumps in her neck.
    Over a 3 month period starting with Drs, then hospital scan, biopsy, another scan booked for this Friday... no results...
    Yesterday she was called out of the blue into see Consultant - she has cancerous lymph glands.
    He is pretty certain it is secondary cancer.
    She has to go to Cardiff on Monday for a full body scan to see where (or hopefully not) the primary cancer is ..
    Going forward is an op to remove glands, then chemo or radio therapy.
    It has been sinking in all day, Poor Mum & Dad are floundering... I know Dad has blood cancer but that seems in a different league to this.
    This is my little sister...

I know others here have suffered & are suffering, and it is all new to us as a family, I hope you won't mind me asking stuff I don't understand?

apologies xxx
    Originally posted by Snap-ant
    So sorry about this Snap, but at least your sister didn't just keep hoping it would go away. You know you can come on here and have a moan, we are all here for you xx

Have to admit to being in tears here, think the wound is rather raw still, and thanks to you I am actually managing to cry, I sincerely hope you can give in and do the same xx

Good morning Elite

So life has changed, never to be the same again. My baby at the age of 27 has fledged. My stash has depleated the freezer looks slimmer and the Bank of M&D took a pounding

I can't remember a week like it, I'm sure my other three fledged much easier than this but there again the Bank of M&D took poundings then too .

So our weekend was quiet during the early hours of Saturday and Sunday, no drunken feet stumbled up the stairs we slept right through if I remember rightly
    Originally posted by altojack
    It is so nice to have the house to yourself, even if we do have a lot of DD and DS's stuff as DD is between homes and DS just doesn't seem to have collected all of his.

It's a strange thing but I take a lot of pleasure in putting something in the fridge that I WANT, and coming home to it and finding it still there
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • Jeremiah T Stone
    • By Jeremiah T Stone 16th Mar 17, 8:27 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 2,060 Thanks
    Jeremiah T Stone
    Hi Enterprise,

I have been catching up on the thread, and am so sorry to read the news of your Dear Father-In-Law's passing

My sincere condolences to you and your Family
    Don't let someone dim your light - simply because it is shining in their eyes.
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 16th Mar 17, 8:30 AM
    • 15,402 Posts
    • 183,875 Thanks
    mhoc
    Good morning Elite

So life has changed, never to be the same again. My baby at the age of 27 has fledged. My stash has depleated the freezer looks slimmer and the Bank of M&D took a pounding

I can't remember a week like it, I'm sure my other three fledged much easier than this but there again the Bank of M&D took poundings then too .

So our weekend was quiet during the early hours of Saturday and Sunday, no drunken feet stumbled up the stairs we slept right through if I remember rightly
    Time to start decorating, this was the only way we could reclaim our offsprings bedrooms, massive painting and decorating overhaul - they have to know they are still loved and wanted desperately and their visits are much appreciated but they are guests now, not residents.

We have a massive double bedroom at the front of the house which was split into a small boxroom and a bedroom about 20 years ago - the box room was a cot room to start with and then later it was errant sons bedroom, just about room for a cabin bed, eldest son had the bigger half and he had bunks so there was always a spare bed for sleep overs. Both were very crampt but at least they had their own spaces.

When eldest son was on a black ops and away for 6 months we had the builder in, removed the stud walls, replastered all the way through, refloored, painted, decorated and the room was made back into one room again.
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 16th Mar 17, 8:31 AM
    • 17,608 Posts
    • 188,888 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Thank you JTS, that means a lot coming from you, with all you are having to go through xx

And thank you to everyone that has passed on their thoughts.

Have to admit to being in tears more than once reading through some comments, but he is at peace now, he had lost all dignity and almost entirely the ability to move, he wanted to go as he was refusing to eat, we have to believe that he is happier now.
    Last edited by Enterprise 1701C; 16-03-2017 at 8:33 AM.
    • diluvsdiscounts
    • By diluvsdiscounts 16th Mar 17, 8:38 AM
    • 3,090 Posts
    • 28,544 Thanks
    diluvsdiscounts
    That's a bit heavy for any day of the week at that time of the morning

Things certainly do change Di, but FC never will. She's the most honest and straight talking person I'm met in a lot of years. A wonderful lass indeed

I might go back to bed for an hour as I misread my clock I thought it was 7.30am, an hour early I was

Enjoy work Di, don't overdoit, oh that's right, you never do

Ah, marmie, coffee, thank you very much. I've missed this of a morning xx
    Cheeky but true

I just got an email from SD with title

This Thursday = Great Hair Day

Nope, not for me

10% off hair colourants for our more hirsute crew
    Originally posted by Jeremiah T Stone
    And that is the correct attitude , good on you
    F##k cancer, sorry it had to be said
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 16th Mar 17, 8:39 AM
    • 15,402 Posts
    • 183,875 Thanks
    mhoc
    It is so nice to have the house to yourself, even if we do have a lot of DD and DS's stuff as DD is between homes and DS just doesn't seem to have collected all of his.

It's a strange thing but I take a lot of pleasure in putting something in the fridge that I WANT, and coming home to it and finding it still there
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    The going in the fridge bit and going in the cupboard bit and finding things still there is still a novelty, even now.

We still have quite a lot of both boys stuff here, most of it corralled into their bedrooms. But I've started going through and totally reclaiming spaces in all bits of the house - Errant son still had 2 deep drawers of scouting/outdoor stuff which I boxed and put upstairs in their bedroom plus another 4 thin drawers of various paperwork, all now boxed and in the wardrobe.

At some stage I want to totally reclaim the boys room but they could be bouncing back and to for a long while yet ...
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 16th Mar 17, 8:44 AM
    • 15,402 Posts
    • 183,875 Thanks
    mhoc

Over a 3 month period starting with Drs, then hospital scan, biopsy, another scan booked for this Friday... no results...
    Yesterday she was called out of the blue into see Consultant - she has cancerous lymph glands.
    She has to go to Cardiff on Monday for a full body scan to see where (or hopefully not) the primary cancer is ..
    It has been sinking in all day, Poor Mum & Dad are floundering... I know Dad has blood cancer but that seems in a different league to this.

I know others here have suffered & are suffering, and it is all new to us as a family, I hope you won't mind me asking stuff I don't understand?

apologies xxx
    this is really sad, desperately sad, the NHS though are the very best in these types of circumstances so put your trust in them.
    In the meantime if she is fit and well otherwise then make this a really fun weekend so thoughts about the scan on Monday get blocked out.
    Its very hard to think of your younger siblings suffering
    • emerald21
    • By emerald21 16th Mar 17, 8:48 AM
    • 9,247 Posts
    • 105,115 Thanks
    emerald21
    Good Morning all

Snap sorry to hear about your sister . I too have a younger sister.
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 16th Mar 17, 8:48 AM
    • 15,402 Posts
    • 183,875 Thanks
    mhoc
    As predicted all original source worked. did not do lavender.
    Originally posted by braveheart60uk
    This original source offer is very tempting, I love all of the pretty colours ... but the sensible side of me says I probably have enough of shower gel stash to last years so I have to sit on my hands ...
    But if Mr T sent me a conditional spend voucher then I might have to think again ...
    • altojack
    • By altojack 16th Mar 17, 8:51 AM
    • 8,674 Posts
    • 117,897 Thanks
    altojack

Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    Oh yes, I'm going out today to get some supplies for the fridge and the freezer, just for me and I'll know they are safe

Enterprise, I've just seen JTS post beneath you . Sorry to hear about your FIL passing. Do you think he knew and was just letting go the day your ds and family visited . At least he's now at peace bless him. My thoughts are with the family xx
    There's no place like home

Stash Clearance of Face Creams, Lotions, Potions & Fragrance Samples
    Out 73
    In 26 most added to collection for Pamper Hampers
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 16th Mar 17, 8:52 AM
    • 34,956 Posts
    • 147,491 Thanks
    silvercar
    Good morning Elite

Must be the Spring air! My youngest got the keys for his place today, off he goes into the wide world. Only a few miles away, but too scary for me to drive near central London.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
    • altojack
    • By altojack 16th Mar 17, 8:54 AM
    • 8,674 Posts
    • 117,897 Thanks
    altojack
    This original source offer is very tempting, I love all of the pretty colours ... but the sensible side of me says I probably have enough of shower gel stash to last years so I have to sit on my hands ...
    But if Mr T sent me a conditional spend voucher then I might have to think again ...
    Originally posted by mhoc
    Never mind conditional spends and buying something you've got plenty of. Just sit on those hands and do not fall into the trap adding stuff when you've spent ages whittling down

Out 73
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 16th Mar 17, 8:55 AM
    • 34,956 Posts
    • 147,491 Thanks
    silvercar

apologies xxx
    So sorry to hear this. Hopefully they will be able to treat her well.

A family member was treated at Velindre and their care is excellent.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
    • altojack
    • By altojack 16th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    • 8,674 Posts
    • 117,897 Thanks
    altojack
    Must be the Spring air! My youngest got the keys for his place today, off he goes into the wide world. Only a few miles away, but too scary for me to drive near central London.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    It's scary isn't it? Mine is just down the road so I'm not exactly 100% safe. And they don't have a washing machine I may have to look out for cheap Ariel liquid or tablets, powder even I do not like those plastic thingies though

Out 73
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 16th Mar 17, 8:59 AM
    • 17,608 Posts
    • 188,888 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Oh yes, I'm going out today to get some supplies for the fridge and the freezer, just for me and I'll know they are safe

Enterprise, I've just seen JTS post beneath you . Sorry to hear about your FIL passing. Do you think he knew and was just letting go the day your ds and family visited . At least he's now at peace bless him. My thoughts are with the family xx
    We're pretty sure he knew, but so relieved he waited for the kids to visit, we went down with DD the weekend before too, and several people had been popping in. Suspect that he made the decision to expedite things though, he didn't want to continue as he was and there was no prospect of recovery.
    • altojack
    • By altojack 16th Mar 17, 9:03 AM
    • 8,674 Posts
    • 117,897 Thanks
    altojack
    Time to start decorating, this was the only way we could reclaim our offsprings bedrooms, massive painting and decorating overhaul - they have to know they are still loved and wanted desperately and their visits are much appreciated but they are guests now, not residents.

We have a massive double bedroom at the front of the house which was split into a small boxroom and a bedroom about 20 years ago - the box room was a cot room to start with and then later it was errant sons bedroom, just about room for a cabin bed, eldest son had the bigger half and he had bunks so there was always a spare bed for sleep overs. Both were very crampt but at least they had their own spaces.

When eldest son was on a black ops and away for 6 months we had the builder in, removed the stud walls, replastered all the way through, refloored, painted, decorated and the room was made back into one room again.
    Originally posted by mhoc
    hahaha, stripping and overhauling on hold until he takes the rest of what he wants from his room. It's a large room but he always seemed to spread himself and belongings around the floor, not lacking in storage space so why the floor. It's a male thing I think

Out 73
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 16th Mar 17, 9:03 AM
    • 15,402 Posts
    • 183,875 Thanks
    mhoc
    All three of ours left home in dramatic fashions

Youngest Errant son had an interview over half term, finished his final uni assignments and then within 5 weeks him and 2 car loads of stuff went north -apart from collecting or depositing more of his stuff he has only been back for Christmas/new year, funerals (and possibly weddings)

middle Eldest son went off on the train to do his 12 week basic training down south but its was still his home as he lived on bases.

Eldest child the day after she was 18 she moved in with m-I-l - she was at 6th form at the time and this was within yards of where m-I-l lived so we hoped it would solve some of the schooling issues we were having, it didn't, M-I-L had finally been diagnosed so we thought having one of us living with her would at least mean that we had someone watching her - Eldest child was so wild though she was just as much of a problem there as she was at home. She did though give M-I_l something else to focus on and she lasted at home for 2 months.
    Eldest child continued to live there as it took us 4 months to rehome m-I-ls dogs and then she went off to uni mid September and fully fledged.
    • zippydooda
    • By zippydooda 16th Mar 17, 9:04 AM
    • 13,749 Posts
    • 219,513 Thanks
    zippydooda
    looks like they all should except for the lavender one - I have a list all written out for Tesco so I plan on going at some point today!
    Originally posted by sarahskint
    I posted that it works around 1am. My Tesco did not have lavender anyway.
    Starting in May 2017, readers of the Daily Mail and The Mail on Sunday will be able to earn Nectar points, transitioning from the Mail's current MyMail Rewards program which offers its own MyMail points currency.
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 16th Mar 17, 9:08 AM
    • 15,402 Posts
    • 183,875 Thanks
    mhoc
    hahaha, stripping and overhauling on hold until he takes the rest of what he wants from his room. It's a large room but he always seemed to spread himself and belongings around the floor, not lacking in storage space so why the floor. It's a male thing I think
    You might have to put a time limit on this, then start boxing things up but leave the boxes in the room. Then when nothing happens move the boxes into the loft or garage.

Yes its a male thing - eldest son at one time had his belongings spread over 2 rooms at 2 bases, his GFs flat plus stuff here in the loft, under the bed, wardrobe and bookcases in the boys room plus stuff in the back of his car - it was a nightmare if he wanted to find specific thing eg looking for a waistcoat to go to someones wedding ...
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 16th Mar 17, 9:12 AM
    • 15,402 Posts
    • 183,875 Thanks
    mhoc
    It's scary isn't it? Mine is just down the road so I'm not exactly 100% safe. And they don't have a washing machine I may have to look out for cheap Ariel liquid or tablets, powder even I do not like those plastic thingies though
    Yes, hide your posh laundry plastic thingies and just put supermarket basics in the cupboard - they will always show up with their washing and no liquids or conditioners.

This will take some getting used to - they will randomly show up to do their washing, on days when you think everything is quiet and you can do some stuff just for yourself ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

200Posts Today

1,204Users online

Martin's Twitter