Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 7:27 PM
    • 11,551Posts
    • 33,680Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread
    • 16th Jun 16, 7:27 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread 16th Jun 16 at 7:27 PM
    Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

Please see post number 2 for all the relevant information on the thread. Savvybuyer's excellent lists are in the subsequent posts.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!
    Last edited by redfox; 16-06-2016 at 8:38 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 3412
    • Anon
    • By Anon 14th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    • 11,260 Posts
    • 124,507 Thanks
    Anon
    Good evening all, I wonder if anybody know anything about insurance claims. I have lost my darling Mums 2 diamond rings. One has a valuation but not the other. Unfortunately I only declared the one with the valuation as having a value of £1500 even though I know it was valued 30 years ago at £2000' but I thought I had lost it (the certificate) but subsequently found it after I had put in a claim. The other one has no valuation only the decription which I have given to the insurers.
    They are telling me because I only declared the one valuation at £1500 that is all they will pay, even though the jewellery company in association with the insurers have put a value of £3200 on it from the photos I have of it, and of course the valuation certificate and £950 for the other.
    I dont have any photos of the other. The insurers are only giving me vouchers to be used in only 2 named shops totalling £2200 net after deducting £100 excess for each ring. Now, when I have looked online at these 2 shops websites I can see that that wont even be enough to buy the lesser value ring that I have lost, their value of £950 having been put on it, and the equivalent similar ring on these websites is £2400, the other one about £4000.I feel so sad that Ive lost my darling Mums rings, but I am also really angry that I have not been awarded at least the value of 1 decent ring. The complaints department is due to ring me, but I am wondering if anyone can suggest where else I could go. It is supposed to be replacement value but that is a joke.
    Sorry for long tale of woe, I know other people have real problems at the moment, but thinking about my mum makes me cry.
    chocciex
    Originally posted by chocaholics
    Sorry to hear you are having issues. Insurance companies will try to minimise their payout and if you under declare the value of something, or do not include itemised items that they request, they have grounds to cap payouts or refuse to pay (as your premium will have been based on declared values/items). Sorry that is not a helpful response, though it is likely their standpoint.

There are differences between insurers though, so check again exactly what your cover includes - the insurance board may be a better place to ask for advice as there may be some experts on there? If nothing rose, they may have advice on how new for old is interpreted when the price to replace is higher than offered and how you are prove the value if you have no proof.

Anon
    Last edited by Anon; 14-03-2017 at 10:33 PM.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 14th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    • 24,307 Posts
    • 290,525 Thanks
    davemorton
    Dearly beloved has just brought me a coffee and a Cointreau.. I am enjoying!!
    We had a couple , lady was disabled, who claimed their 'respite' monies for a cruise... caused a bit of upset, but, as he manged to argue, whilst on the cruise he did not have to cook, do laundry, or meet her social inclusion needs. So, DM, think we may need your cruising expertise to set up our new cruising care company.
    Originally posted by pippo
    Already ahead of you
    Welcome aboard.

Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
    • pippo
    • By pippo 14th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    • 2,578 Posts
    • 26,167 Thanks
    pippo
    Already ahead of you
    Welcome aboard.

Originally posted by davemorton
    Think we may need a bigger boat hun! Where will we put the bar?
    However fishing could meet the criteria re 'Accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering'
    Last edited by pippo; 14-03-2017 at 9:27 PM.
    Toiletries/cosmetics In 12 Out 21 - cost £2.15
    Clothes etc In 3 Out 22
    • rose28454
    • By rose28454 14th Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    • 4,578 Posts
    • 46,098 Thanks
    rose28454
    Good morning

Hugs again for ALL carers

DH got his pension info £126pw Apparently he opted out at one point and has been self employed (Part time) since being made redundant 15 yrs ago

His pal who has barely ever worked is getting £187

Enjoy your day
    Originally posted by mrsmac10
    That 2nd figure doesnt seem right as the new pension is £155.00 per week. My husband retired in September and initially got £130.00 per week as they said this was a safe amount as they couldnt access his NI record but after a few weeks it went up to £140.00 per week and he does get a company pension.
    If you retire after April 2016 ( say in 5 years ) and your projected figure is lower than £155.00 then you can make it up over those 5 years.
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 14th Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    • 30,503 Posts
    • 421,333 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Just finished watching The Replacement. I enjoyed the first 2 but then it's as if they have to race to the finish fir the final part and it all becomes sloppy

Think I'll have a cuppa....anyone want to share a tea bag
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • pippo
    • By pippo 14th Mar 17, 9:28 PM
    • 2,578 Posts
    • 26,167 Thanks
    pippo
    Just finished watching The Replacement. I enjoyed the first 2 but then it's as if they have to race to the finish fir the final part and it all becomes sloppy

Think I'll have a cuppa....anyone want to share a tea bag
    Originally posted by TrulyMadly
    TM, you are my girl, a tea bag always makes more than one cup!
    Clothes etc In 3 Out 22
    • MKS
    • By MKS 14th Mar 17, 9:28 PM
    • 9,303 Posts
    • 144,566 Thanks
    MKS
    Again, that is daft, cant they be self-employed/work for the angency, and become your contractors, like a builder or something? I dont know, please dont think I am saying how it is, I am just throwing ideas out there, and trying to extend my own knowledge at the same time.
    Thanks

He has seen alot of my workings out
    Originally posted by bubbs
    bubbs
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 14th Mar 17, 9:29 PM
    • 30,503 Posts
    • 421,333 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    I will try the dentastix at 12.30 am as they go on multi tomorrow. I'm hoping the multi is active at that time. And I try the apg before 6am. Just trying a different way to get a glitch. But as I said. If multi is active at that time. I'm guessing it's going to be the 7 packets.
    Originally posted by zippydooda
    Did I get my sums right?

What do they work out at?
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 14th Mar 17, 9:29 PM
    • 24,307 Posts
    • 290,525 Thanks
    davemorton
    Think we may need a bigger boat hun! Where will we put the bar?
    However fishing could meet the criteria re 'Accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering'
    I was thinking of just putting Bubbs and SSM on that one, here is ours

Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 14th Mar 17, 9:29 PM
    • 14,111 Posts
    • 175,380 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Dearly beloved has just brought me a coffee and a Cointreau.. I am enjoying!!
    We had a couple , lady was disabled, who claimed their 'respite' monies for a cruise... caused a bit of upset, but, as he manged to argue, whilst on the cruise he did not have to cook, do laundry, or meet her social inclusion needs. So, DM, think we may need your cruising expertise to set up our new cruising care company.
    Already ahead of you
    Welcome aboard.

We want luxury!

Accumulative cost of having adult child in 2017.
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 14th Mar 17, 9:30 PM
    • 30,503 Posts
    • 421,333 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    TM, you are my girl, a tea bag always makes more than one cup!
    Especially a Ringtons
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • pippo
    • By pippo 14th Mar 17, 9:32 PM
    • 2,578 Posts
    • 26,167 Thanks
    pippo
    That 2nd figure doesnt seem right as the new pension is £155.00 per week. My husband retired in September and initially got £130.00 per week as they said this was a safe amount as they couldnt access his NI record but after a few weeks it went up to £140.00 per week and he does get a company pension.
    If you retire after April 2016 ( say in 5 years ) and your projected figure is lower than £155.00 then you can make it up over those 5 years.
    Originally posted by rose28454
    I've worked full time for over 35 years, yet, due to the contracted out scheme, am now not entitled to full state pension in a couple of years time.
    According to the Which' guide, I am one of a small percentage that have lost out
    Need to wait until the next tax year to see if it is worthwhile to 'make it up'
    Clothes etc In 3 Out 22
    • pippo
    • By pippo 14th Mar 17, 9:33 PM
    • 2,578 Posts
    • 26,167 Thanks
    pippo
    Especially a Ringtons
    Originally posted by TrulyMadly
    Oh the Rington's man, with his basket and those lovely chocolate teacakes!
    Clothes etc In 3 Out 22
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 14th Mar 17, 9:34 PM
    • 14,111 Posts
    • 175,380 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    I was thinking of just putting Bubbs and SSM on this one here

We want luxury!

Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    Ideal x

Accumulative cost of having adult child in 2017.
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • chocaholics
    • By chocaholics 14th Mar 17, 9:42 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 3,295 Thanks
    chocaholics
    Sorry yo hear you are having issues. Insurance companies will try to minimise their payout and if you under declare the value of something, or do not include itemised items that they request, they have grounds to cap payouts or refuse to pay (as your premium will have been based on declared values/items). Sorry that is not a helpful response, though it is likely their standpoint.

There are differences between insurers though, so check again exactly what your cover includes - the insurance board may be a better place to ask for advice as there may be some experts on there? If nothing rose, they may have advice on how new for old is interpreted when the price to replace is higher than offered and how you are prove the value if you have no proof.

Anon
    Originally posted by Anon
    Thank you, I will look there.
    x
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 14th Mar 17, 9:46 PM
    • 24,307 Posts
    • 290,525 Thanks
    davemorton
    Anyway, where is ChrisV, I need to ask why my 8pm collection has not come visible yet!
    • hornetgirl
    • By hornetgirl 14th Mar 17, 9:47 PM
    • 5,048 Posts
    • 62,979 Thanks
    hornetgirl
    another question

I always find it horribly difficult trying to blow dry with the vented brush in one hand and the hairdryer in another. I wondered if there was such a thing as a hairdryer brush that combines both so I only need one hand
    On Amazon there seems to be numerous of this type if thing, ceramic - all costing in the mid £20s - I have no idea which one is better than another ...
    So what do I need to particularly look out for, what features should be on the short list
    any recommendations?
    Originally posted by mhoc
    I have an earlier version of this

http://www.international.boots.com/babyliss-big-hair-42mm-hot-air-styler-2777u-10167925

You press a button to make the brush revolve while it is drying your hair. It only took me a couple of goes to get the hang of it. It's worth shopping around as prices can vary a lot. I got mine from John Lewis when they were doing one of their price matching days when a competitor had a promotion.
    Unity is strength...Knowledge is power...Attitude is everything

MF 30 June 2010

Everything is fleeting, everything will change
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 14th Mar 17, 9:52 PM
    • 30,503 Posts
    • 421,333 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Anyway, where is ChrisV, I need to ask why my 8pm collection has not come visible yet!
    She will say "patience man"
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 14th Mar 17, 9:52 PM
    • 3,583 Posts
    • 70,609 Thanks
    Chrisv
    Cos he hasn't pressed the button yet (young lad, small, looks about 12?)

Patience man!
    Not wanting something is as good as possessing it – Donald Horban
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 14th Mar 17, 9:55 PM
    • 30,503 Posts
    • 421,333 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Anyone watching Imagine?

Bette Midler looks fantastic
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

258Posts Today

2,292Users online

Martin's Twitter