Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    • 12,401Posts
    • 35,471Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread 16th Jun 16 at 8:27 PM
    Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

Please see post number 2 for all the relevant information on the thread. Savvybuyer's excellent lists are in the subsequent posts.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!
    Last edited by redfox; 16-06-2016 at 9:38 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 3407
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 14th Mar 17, 2:48 PM
    • 13,984 Posts
    • 245,670 Thanks
    Snap-ant

3 x white microfibre tea towels in Ts for 63p - I have photo somewhere soon ish....
    Our Family Motto ~
    ♦ If all else fails - read the instructions ♦

• MKS
    • By MKS 14th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    • 9,472 Posts
    • 147,954 Thanks
    MKS
    It was a CHOICE. Made. So less ni to pay. Love to be corrected. I'd like to add. I also made that choice. But regret it now. Although I think my employer made me do it. To stay in works pension.
    Originally posted by zippydooda
    I wasn't griping over it, zippy. It was my choice. Are you saying that you are in the works pension? If so, you are a very lucky zippy.
    • mrsmac10
    • By mrsmac10 14th Mar 17, 3:15 PM
    • 3,483 Posts
    • 49,405 Thanks
    mrsmac10
    It was a CHOICE. Made. So less ni to pay. Love to be corrected. I'd like to add. I also made that choice. But regret it now. Although I think my employer made me do it. To stay in works pension.
    Originally posted by zippydooda

DH thinks that too although has no real recollection of it

He was genuinely disappointed as he thought he would get about £150 but I don't think we were savvy enough to understand what it would have meant back then so what we did not pay in we don't get back Certainly no disagreement from me

Fortunately we are in a reasonable position just now and with my elite shopping it is fine
    November Not even counting this month
    • wendyak
    • By wendyak 14th Mar 17, 3:49 PM
    • 2,450 Posts
    • 37,794 Thanks
    wendyak
    afternoon gang
    hugs to all that are in need xx
    not in such a good place myself at the mo but onward we go....
    Received another recorded delivery letter from work to say that my sick pay will end soon, does anyone know what to do next as OH is self employed and still sick but we haven't been doing anything with the sick notes .
    It means that we will have NO income soon so a scary thought......any ideas ???
    • gocat
    • By gocat 14th Mar 17, 5:12 PM
    • 4,566 Posts
    • 55,008 Thanks
    gocat
    afternoon gang
    Received another recorded delivery letter from work to say that my sick pay will end soon, does anyone know what to do next as OH is self employed and still sick but we haven't been doing anything with the sick notes .
    Originally posted by wendyak
    Only thing I can think of is looking into JSA or ESA.
    Hope some others will come along with more ideas or info.
    • mrsmac10
    • By mrsmac10 14th Mar 17, 5:20 PM
    • 3,483 Posts
    • 49,405 Thanks
    mrsmac10
    Wendy

Try the benefits board tonight They may be able to offer some advice, and CAB tomorrow

Sorry I cant help more but probably others with more knowledge will be on later

Take care
    November Not even counting this month
    • 76rosie
    • By 76rosie 14th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    • 1,800 Posts
    • 32,188 Thanks
    76rosie
    Only thing I can think of is looking into JSA or ESA.
    Hope some others will come along with more ideas or info.
    Originally posted by gocat
    Hugs to wendyak. Direct. Gov May give you some idea of entitlement. I think it may depend of savings, mortgage etc. But I 've never claimed.

Good luck
    grocery challenge 9.86/60
    • wackynut
    • By wackynut 14th Mar 17, 5:35 PM
    • 5,402 Posts
    • 109,968 Thanks
    wackynut
    Some offers starting tomorrow if anyone wants to look into them further/ check to see if a.com gets updated with them.
    I don't expect I'll be around.

Mix and match - JB BABY WIPES - 2 FOR £1.70Valid from 15/03/201 https://groceries.asda.com/promotion/2-for-pound350/ls88100
    Mix and match - HEINZ SNAP POTS - 2 FOR £3.00Valid from 15/03/2017 https://groceries.asda.com/promotion/2-for-pound350/ls88101
    Mix and match - HIPP - 5 FOR £3.00Valid from 15/03/2017 https://groceries.asda.com/promotion/2-for-pound350/ls88102
    Mix and match - HIPP - 3 FOR £2.50Valid from 15/03/2017 https://groceries.asda.com/promotion/2-for-pound350/ls88103
    Mix and match - DENTASTIXS - 2 FOR £2.50Valid from 15/03/2017 https://groceries.asda.com/promotion/2-for-pound350/ls88104
    Mix and match - PET TREATS - 3 FOR £3Valid from 15/03/2017 https://groceries.asda.com/promotion/2-for-pound350/ls88105
    N1LDA
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 14th Mar 17, 5:40 PM
    • 36,042 Posts
    • 152,232 Thanks
    silvercar
    afternoon gang
    I think you can claim SMI - support for mortgage interest - to help with the mortgage payments. Does Income Support still exist? Contact the council for help with council tax. Sorry I'm not up to date with all the benefits.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 14th Mar 17, 5:45 PM
    • 48,087 Posts
    • 591,848 Thanks
    bubbs
    Some offers starting tomorrow if anyone wants to look into them further/ check to see if a.com gets updated with them.
    I don't expect I'll be around.

Mix and match - JB BABY WIPES - 2 FOR £1.70Valid from 15/03/201 https://groceries.asda.com/promotion/2-for-pound350/ls88100
    Mix and match - HEINZ SNAP POTS - 2 FOR £3.00Valid from 15/03/2017 https://groceries.asda.com/promotion/2-for-pound350/ls88101
    Mix and match - HIPP - 5 FOR £3.00Valid from 15/03/2017 https://groceries.asda.com/promotion/2-for-pound350/ls88102
    Mix and match - HIPP - 3 FOR £2.50Valid from 15/03/2017 https://groceries.asda.com/promotion/2-for-pound350/ls88103
    Mix and match - DENTASTIXS - 2 FOR £2.50Valid from 15/03/2017 https://groceries.asda.com/promotion/2-for-pound350/ls88104
    Mix and match - PET TREATS - 3 FOR £3Valid from 15/03/2017 https://groceries.asda.com/promotion/2-for-pound350/ls88105
    Originally posted by wackynut
    Afternoon all
    Wacky dentastix are 2 for £2 in t and £1.25 in m , so would this be good, sorry im not good at finding glitches or working them out but dont mind trying
    Last edited by bubbs; 14-03-2017 at 5:47 PM.
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :-4 stone 4lb week 34
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 14th Mar 17, 5:50 PM
    • 13,984 Posts
    • 245,670 Thanks
    Snap-ant
    afternoon gang
    https://www.rightstobenefits.com/sickness-at-work/what-to-do-when-sick-pay-stops.html
    Our Family Motto ~
    ♦ If all else fails - read the instructions ♦

• bubbs
    • By bubbs 14th Mar 17, 5:51 PM
    • 48,087 Posts
    • 591,848 Thanks
    bubbs
    Willpower my girl even though I have never smoked
    Originally posted by tweets
    I dont have any my girl thats why i am like i am, but i WILL loose some
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 14th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 48,087 Posts
    • 591,848 Thanks
    bubbs
    just passing through and wanted to pop in for a cuppahope all is well with the Elite xx
    Originally posted by Nannylala
    Nanny
    Hope you are ok xxx
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • tweets
    • By tweets 14th Mar 17, 5:56 PM
    • 27,953 Posts
    • 412,700 Thanks
    tweets
    I dont have any my girl thats why i am like i am, but i WILL loose some
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Slimming World you will be eating more than you do now and thinking you wont lose weight but if you eat the right stuff you will
    Lost 3st-3lb
    • Arthien
    • By Arthien 14th Mar 17, 6:10 PM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 15,079 Thanks
    Arthien
    I've had a brilliant day today.

I've had this idea chasing around in my head for years.

One of the downfalls of giving food parcels is that it doesn't really solve a lot of the underlying problems. It's a sort of stopgap measure...like a sticking plaster.
    One of the underlying problems is lack of knowledge/ experience/ not being able to shop and cook on a budget.

Imagine picking up a food parcel and attached to it, is a volunteer with a carrier bag of ingredients who would go back to your house with you and show you how to cook a very basic family meal. Imagine the kids coming home to a tasty casserole.
    So ....you start with a very basic repertoire of 4/5 meals, costed out at between £2 and £3 per meal for 4 for example.
    There's lots of things to be ironed out....health and safety and risk assessments, lack of cooking equipment ....some families are without even the most basic cookery stuff

Anyway I did a pitch for some funding today and it went really well. I feel really hopeful that this sort of intervention could make a huge difference to people...improving their health and lifestyle.

There's an army of women out there who are savvy shoppers and brilliant cooks. If we could match them with the young families who are struggling it would be a dream come true

What do you think?
    Originally posted by TrulyMadly
    Afternoon all!
    Just playing catch up. TM your project sounds like it would work well with Martin's scheme to offer financial advice and assistance to food bank service users, rather than just handing them some food and leaving them to struggle on week by week: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2015/03/foodbank-financial-triage-scheme-to-be-rolled-out-across-the-uk

I agree that getting people to accept that they need help, and to change their habits of a lifetime will be the main challenge you face! Good luck and let us know how you get on
    • Arthien
    • By Arthien 14th Mar 17, 6:11 PM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 15,079 Thanks
    Arthien
    Hello all

Anyone in Worc A does have Sharpies in stock!

Mr T wrndon has a section of reduced stuff at the start of seasonal row. Nothing really cheap but they did have value toothpaste at 16p. Grabbed a few for shoe box appeal at Xmas. Still about 20 left.

Hth
    Originally posted by Worcsmum_3boys
    Sorry I didn't get chance to check today, so all I know is A had 5 sharpies in as of Thursday

I still haven't done a shop for them yet so please let me know if the stock disappears

I used to do the shoebox appeals but then decided I didn't agree with the religious side of it so I gave my stash to the food bank instead. I used to enjoy doing them though, pity most charities say the money is more useful really.
    • Arthien
    • By Arthien 14th Mar 17, 6:21 PM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 15,079 Thanks
    Arthien
    Just wanted to add my tuppence worth about the caring situation. I mentioned previously that after caring so much for my grandparents and seeing other people in similar need, my dad set up his own caring company (more like general assistant/helper/gardener/cleaner/taxi driver company really )

Yes it costs money, but some councils have allowances or grants for such things, and it's nowhere near as much as a home. I've seen the difference he's made to his customers just from spending a few hours a week with them, it's so rewarding for both sides

I'd definitely recommend looking into this as an option if a home is too much of a change at the moment, as the older person may need more care than a family member can regularly manage, and carers deserve to have their own lives too. Judging by other family members in the same situation, it always seems to be the ones who can't say no, who feel obliged to carry on with the workload regardless of their own health and wellbeing, and that's not fair on anyone. I know there have been massive cuts, and that's why gatekeeping is so much of a problem, so I would say go back to the council for an assessment and don't take no for an answer! Good luck
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 14th Mar 17, 6:22 PM
    • 31,782 Posts
    • 454,418 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Thanks Told him to phone but don't think he will

Today and yesterday I seem to have overstepped in my job role. I am totally frustrated as there are special rules for one dept (which I cant agree)and wondering if it is all worth the hassle

Originally posted by mrsmac10
    When you have integrity, it's hard not to do the best you can for the company that pays your wages. Sometimes you can step on people's toes but I'm sure you have everyone's best interests at heart mrsmac.

I never saw you as a "yes" lady
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 14th Mar 17, 6:24 PM
    • 31,782 Posts
    • 454,418 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Good morning everyone.

I will be lurking for a while, RL is a bit all over the place at the moment, I thought I had it bad with my eldest, but no he is an angel, compared to what the youngest is getting up to.

If any big glitches appear, please shout or pm, I will try and pop on even just to read xx
    Originally posted by Sarahdol75
    I know it's hard to believe it Sarah, but most come through the other side of their teenage years as transformed characters. Wishing you all well and yes we will shout if there's a glitch

And hello to nanny
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • Tinasmummy
    • By Tinasmummy 14th Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    Tinasmummy
    Hello everyone,

I'm off to catch up as I didn't get a chance to pop in yesterday.

hope you are all well
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,196Posts Today

6,856Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin