Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    • 11,540Posts
    • 33,651Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread 16th Jun 16 at 8:27 PM
    Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

Please see post number 2 for all the relevant information on the thread. Savvybuyer's excellent lists are in the subsequent posts.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!
    Last edited by redfox; 16-06-2016 at 9:38 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 3402
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 13th Mar 17, 9:32 PM
    • 14,096 Posts
    • 175,242 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    For OH's 55th birthday, I am going to buy him some VIP Poo....

Accumulative cost of having adult child in 2017.
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 13th Mar 17, 9:35 PM
    • 14,096 Posts
    • 175,242 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Well I went to work at 9.00am and managed 2 hours before the phone calls from assesor, electrician, damp man and hotel company got too much. My boss is great and I just said I needed to go and would be in tommorow or Wednesday. Was silly of me shouldnt have bothered today.
    When I left I called the assessor company. They took over the hotel thing and I am now booked in for a further 10 days b&B. Then they said electrician and damp man would come this afternoon and the both came about 2.30. Electrician said electric would have to stay off and he installed a temporary supply of plugs at the bottom of the stairs so the damp people could run their machines. Then he left and damp chap had a good look round and said 1st thing was to get a laundry company in to take all my clothes, the contents of the airing cupboard , bedding and curtains to be laundered. Then they will bring boxes and pack up the contents of the rooms, then pull up all the carpets and bin them. He then brought in 2 machines and set them up so the drying can start.
    He told me to ring my water company as I am on a meter and ask them to check my consumption and arrange a refund. He was lovely and actually lives in my town and said had he been told earlier he wold have come down on Saturday.
    He said you should have about 20% damp in your walls and most of them are at 99%!
    So looks like all rooms except maybe 2nd bedroom will have to have new electrics, be redecorated and have new flooring. No idea how long though.
    Originally posted by rose28454
    That is a heck of a lot of work, but hopefully you will get a newly decorated house x

You may need to take a meter reading... those machines may cost a fortune to run x
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • scamps1966
    • By scamps1966 13th Mar 17, 9:41 PM
    • 5,168 Posts
    • 91,678 Thanks
    scamps1966
    Oh dear tweets.
    Never nind. You;ll get a chance in the next 50 years.
    • rose28454
    • By rose28454 13th Mar 17, 9:42 PM
    • 4,572 Posts
    • 46,016 Thanks
    rose28454
    That is a heck of a lot of work, but hopefully you will get a newly decorated house x

You may need to take a meter reading... those machines may cost a fortune to run x
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    Yes good point I did think of that but I was already back at the hotel by then. Will pop in tommorow and read it. May as well save as much as I can whilst I am away. He also said the kitchen cabinets may have to come down in the kitchen so he can test the wall behind. My kitchen is over 30 years old and I am not sure it will go back up that easily!
    • hampydoodums
    • By hampydoodums 13th Mar 17, 9:47 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 42,272 Thanks
    hampydoodums
    Couple of things while the breaks on in broadchurch.

Free Aunt Bessie's cold desserts at M with CS

20p multi packs of cat food in T reported on hukd
    Nanny to 2 Cherubs
    • tweets
    • By tweets 13th Mar 17, 9:49 PM
    • 27,271 Posts
    • 398,934 Thanks
    tweets
    Oh dear tweets.
    Never nind. You;ll get a chance in the next 50 years.
    Originally posted by scamps1966
    Never mind as long as city doesn't win
    Last edited by tweets; 13-03-2017 at 9:52 PM.
    Lost 3st-3.5lb
    • MKS
    • By MKS 13th Mar 17, 10:04 PM
    • 9,289 Posts
    • 144,418 Thanks
    MKS
    Snap have you put much weight on? i have
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Put in on, quitting smoking, you can take it off. xx
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 13th Mar 17, 10:06 PM
    • 14,096 Posts
    • 175,242 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Yes good point I did think of that but I was already back at the hotel by then. Will pop in tommorow and read it. May as well save as much as I can whilst I am away. He also said the kitchen cabinets may have to come down in the kitchen so he can test the wall behind. My kitchen is over 30 years old and I am not sure it will go back up that easily!
    It is a shame it was clean water.... if it was soiled water you would have a new kitchen!! x
    • MKS
    • By MKS 13th Mar 17, 10:06 PM
    • 9,289 Posts
    • 144,418 Thanks
    MKS
    I do not like that Nathan in Corrie, makes my skin crawl. DH says, it's not real you know
    Originally posted by hampydoodums
    But the actor/actress makes it believable. Age old thing, more you hate them, the better the actor/actress are for the part that they are playing.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 13th Mar 17, 10:14 PM
    • 45,145 Posts
    • 538,216 Thanks
    bubbs
    Well I went to work at 9.00am and managed 2 hours before the phone calls from assesor, electrician, damp man and hotel company got too much. My boss is great and I just said I needed to go and would be in tommorow or Wednesday. Was silly of me shouldnt have bothered today.
    When I left I called the assessor company. They took over the hotel thing and I am now booked in for a further 10 days b&B. Then they said electrician and damp man would come this afternoon and the both came about 2.30. Electrician said electric would have to stay off and he installed a temporary supply of plugs at the bottom of the stairs so the damp people could run their machines. Then he left and damp chap had a good look round and said 1st thing was to get a laundry company in to take all my clothes, the contents of the airing cupboard , bedding and curtains to be laundered. Then they will bring boxes and pack up the contents of the rooms, then pull up all the carpets and bin them. He then brought in 2 machines and set them up so the drying can start. He hopes to get permission for another couple of machines to speed things up.
    He told me to ring my water company as I am on a meter and ask them to check my consumption and arrange a refund. He was lovely and actually lives in my town and said had he been told earlier he would have come down on Saturday.
    He said you should have about 20% damp in your walls and most of them are at 99%!
    So looks like all rooms except maybe 2nd bedroom will have to have new electrics, be redecorated and have new flooring. No idea how long though.
    Gosh thats alot, but will soon be sorted xxx
    For OH's 55th birthday, I am going to buy him some VIP Poo....

Only you
    Put in on, quitting smoking, you can take it off. xx
    Originally posted by MKS
    True but not easy, tweets will say it is
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • MKS
    • By MKS 13th Mar 17, 10:22 PM
    • 9,289 Posts
    • 144,418 Thanks
    MKS
    Very well said x
    Thanks ssm. I feel embarrassed that I couldn't follow through with Dads care but I just couldn't split myself. I hate the thought that Saversue is going through the turmoil that i went through.
    Last edited by MKS; 14-03-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    • Saversue
    • By Saversue 13th Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 20,713 Thanks
    Saversue
    Please get help Sue, I know you want to do all you can for your mum, but you seriously cannot manage, and what happens if you get ill. The carers for my FiL made such a difference, and he went overnight into respite several times so my MiL and BiL could get a good night's sleep. Your mum must realise how hard it is for you, and perhaps it is worth telling her that at least it would be someone different to talk to.
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    Did your FiL feel happy having carers in ?
    Mum is adamant that she won't have any and has told Social Services that she can manage and will not have anyone. As she would have to pay for all her care, they can't force her to have a financial assessment or accept help.

Please don't be so hard on yourself.
    A few of us on here have had the same journey. It isn't nice or pleasant, just so sad. There isn't a 'happy' answer.

I managed it for a few years, juggling my family life, looking after my DGC and running a business. At the end, something has to give and that's when you know it is the right time for extra help. Try as I might, I couldn't give my dad the care and extra time that he needed and deserved once he became immobile. When he went into his care home, the quality of his life improved 200%. Least of all, I could spend quality time with him without being 'frazzled' and attending to his needs and his housework. I did feel guilty about my decision (I am his only close living relation) but I couldn't stretch any further. Please don't let pride stay in the way of you continuing your enjoyment of your mums' company, albeit, it may be in a care home.
    Originally posted by MKS
    Such lovely sentiments, I hope you only have happy memories.

I am my Mum's only relative where we live.
    I have no family of my own and had to retire due to ill health many years ago, so am expected to do everything for my Mum by relatives out-of-town.
    I have a brother 50 miles away, but he has always been next to useless and now has Cancer himself.
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 13th Mar 17, 10:26 PM
    • 19,428 Posts
    • 252,081 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Some of the Toni & Guy products worked brilliantly on the APG vs M a few weeks. I think probably most of them that A has would have worked, possibly all of them. I now think that the Toni & Guy products generally are unlikely to work any more. This is usually a sign that there will be no problem. However, I think that, as they had £2 showing in the store(s) from where they picked them up, they are likely to have gone from that store/those stores now and would most probably have to pick them up elsewhere. It's unlikely they will find them elsewhere in my view. I have now lost them entirely in many of my stores and, before the weekend, had them in only one store. I still had the row of £2 SELs but only just as about half of the versions were not physically present. I therefore had about half of them OOS, it's irrelevant which ones and I did not take details.

If this situation was found in a price collection store, and the products likely no trace now in any other collection place, the ones that were OOS in the collection store would still compare on last Wednesday's data (as not OOS for seven days yet) - and they may compare on this Wednesday's data but only if the SEL was still there. If some of the SELs had randomly been removed - which may be all of those that the store had OOS or a member of staff may do an incomplete job and only remove some of those SELs - then the ones that had no SEL would be N/A on Wednesday's data or on Monday's (today's) if they were taken away - it's probably likely this would have happened after the weekend just gone, and the others may now have sold out of the store too - but their 'seven days' would begin to tick from a different date so some of them could drop off and others drop off later. I think it's likely all of them would have gone N/A though - but it's likely, if they have a store with indication of them in, those that happen to be OOS in that store would start to fail to compare although those still in stock would stay on (but probably go OOS and then N/A later), even though M most likely still has at least one unit of stock of every version of them somewhere, even if it's been 'lost' at the back of an RTC shelf. They could of course have more stock in the back and could restock - however, the situation is that I had them in at least half of the stores I was visiting before (at the time the APG worked) but now have 20 stores of complete no trace and only one store, which still had the rows of SELs up last week but was OOS on the shelf on about half of them - they are diminishing and probably gone now there.

So, in short, I think, as of mid-week last week, the time has most probably passed now on the Toni & Guys. I note they have now gone completely from msm for M - it had nine before, then five and then just one. I think they will still be around - one here in one M, another there in another - they're still around in M (somewhere) but they are now not generally around.

As of last week, the Hellmann's and Heinz RTC squeezy tubes were evident across many stores, so they might work, but the other RTC items elsewhere were generally only in one or two of my stores (and an increasing number needed to be visited to get them) so I don't know what the APG will have. They probably have some really good RTC that wasn't in any of my 21 stores and therefore I know nothing about it.

The time has come where I will soon move all of the Toni & Guy products to buy in M - it will be increasingly lucky if you find any of them there. However, some remaining stock could even, if it sticks around for some time, go onto stickered reduction price at much cheaper price like it seems one of the Comfort Bursts did in a couple of stores in Norfolk recently. It's no surprise that RTC items like these will be offered at lower prices in random stores - we had Toni & Guy at £1.55 in Aylesbury, though I think, if stock remains around elsewhere, it could turn up, even in a few months' time, in a store randomly at a much lower price. I don't rule out Aylesbury store bringing some more out to the shop floor at cheaper price in future, as M could do anything at any time, though it's probably less likely that it would be Aylesbury as it seems to have been clearing at £1.55 sticker.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 13-03-2017 at 10:41 PM.
    M list - posts 3-13

M lost items - post 37.
    M lost list part 2 - page 4, post 145.
    • mrsmac10
    • By mrsmac10 13th Mar 17, 10:30 PM
    • 3,294 Posts
    • 43,601 Thanks
    mrsmac10
    Just posting to confirm that the BE breaded cod bought in asda compares favourably to Sainsbobs £1.70 after cb abd APG

Figures by TN this morning
    Frugal Feb £60 for 2 Forgot about S bonus swipe so will need to rethink. May just ignore S spend as it will be mostly wine for a future party

Decided on £100 for Feb and March Cant get DH to buy in completely and have APGS to use up
    • hampydoodums
    • By hampydoodums 13th Mar 17, 10:31 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 42,272 Thanks
    hampydoodums
    Sadly I think they will.

I do think the writers missed out how the police sh/would respond to a 16 year old turning up at the police station to give a witness statement for her 35 year old boyfriend who they are worried about a violent assault and kidnapping of another woman.... the alarm bells would have been ringing so loud you would not be able to hear!!
    Totally agree SSM

rose, glad the assessor and the damp man are getting things sorted for you
    Nanny to 2 Cherubs
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 13th Mar 17, 10:33 PM
    • 14,096 Posts
    • 175,242 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Gosh thats alot, but will soon be sorted xxx

Only you
    What else can I get the man who has everything aka me!!

Thanks ssm. I feel embarrassed that I couldn't follow through with Dads care but I just couldn't split myself. I hate the thought that Saversue is going thorugh the turmoil that i went through.
    Originally posted by MKS
    Did your FiL feel happy having carers in ?
    Mum is adamant that she won't have any and has told Social Services that she can manage and will not have anyone. As she would have to pay for all her care, they can't force her to have a financial assessment or accept help.

Such lovely sentiments, I hope you only have happy memories.

I am my Mum's only relative where we live.
    I have no family of my own and had to retire due to ill health many years ago, so am expected to do everything for my Mum by relatives out-of-town.
    I have a brother 50 miles away, but he has always been next to useless and now has Cancer himself.
    Originally posted by Saversue
    I am sure your mum would not want you to spend your life burdened with pressure that no one person could and should accept, you have a right to your own life and as mks highlighted this can be the best decision for the parent and for you. You deserve and need your own life. x
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 13th Mar 17, 10:34 PM
    • 14,096 Posts
    • 175,242 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Night all x
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 13th Mar 17, 10:35 PM
    • 30,415 Posts
    • 420,411 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Evening paw sniffers

Unexpected visitors tonight

How are we all?
    I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarian and we're sceptical.
    Arthur C Clarke.
    • Sunflower1227
    • By Sunflower1227 13th Mar 17, 10:35 PM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 20,404 Thanks
    Sunflower1227
    If anyone needs face wipes this is a brill deal
    Simple Kind To Skin Cleansing Facial Wipes 25s
    Simple Kind To Skin Cleansing Facial Wipes 25s£3.2513.00p each
    Buy 1 get 1 free on selected Simple

£19.50
    BUY ONE GET ONE FREE - £6.50
    ** MULTIBUY **
    EARN 1 POINT FOR EVERY £1 SPENT
    MEMBERS ONLY 3 FOR 2 OVERLAY ON BODY AND SKIN - £6.50
    Continue ShoppingUpdate Basket
    Voucher code

Type voucher code in here
    Enter code
    Please note that you can only use each code once.
    Accepted Payment Methods
    payment icons
    Subtotal exc. savings £19.50
    Promotional Savings- £13.00
    Points earned * 18
    Total inc. savings & redemptions £6.50
    Did this last week, parcel at the post office to pick up
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
    • 3Dogs
    • By 3Dogs 13th Mar 17, 10:39 PM
    • 12,904 Posts
    • 134,595 Thanks
    3Dogs
    Evening Elite I've been AWOL as drove down to see my friends in Hampshire on Friday, staying with Kit in Purbrook, Portsmouth, though we have been over to see the boys. We all went to free screening of Fallen in Southampton on Saturday morning and enjoyed it - thanks to OP for links to showfilmsfirst

Otherwise, just been taking it easy Just managed to catch up as not been on laptop except couple of hourse last night and then a bit today

rose - oh my, what a mess. It must have been dreadful to walk in and see all that. Glad the assessors are starting their work though and dryers are in
    Mr 3Dogs 3rd July 2012 3Dogs'Mam 31st March 2013

FRUGAL groceries - Oct £55.98/£60; Nov £62.96/£80; Dec £43.46/£60; Jan £68.88/£80; Feb £86.58/£100 March Given up on March
    NSD's Oct-18; Nov-16; Dec 21; Jan 16; Feb 19; March 11/16
    eBay Oct £116.33; Nov £76.71; Dec £60.96; Jan £71.28; Feb £24.12; March £18.27/£50
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,247Posts Today

9,033Users online

Martin's Twitter