Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 7:27 PM
    • 11,542Posts
    • 33,664Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread
    • 16th Jun 16, 7:27 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread 16th Jun 16 at 7:27 PM
    Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

Please see post number 2 for all the relevant information on the thread. Savvybuyer's excellent lists are in the subsequent posts.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!
    Last edited by redfox; 16-06-2016 at 8:38 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 3401
    • hornetgirl
    • By hornetgirl 13th Mar 17, 8:06 PM
    • 5,040 Posts
    • 62,878 Thanks
    hornetgirl
    With huge thanks to rhosynbach, vegan shepherds pie. Well received by vegan and carnivore alike

Unity is strength...Knowledge is power...Attitude is everything

MF 30 June 2010

Everything is fleeting, everything will change
    • hampydoodums
    • By hampydoodums 13th Mar 17, 8:06 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 42,277 Thanks
    hampydoodums
    We have a pound deals next to/ joined on to pound stretcher.

Brilliant.
    All prices though not a £1 shop iyswim.
    Last week I had 3 Colgate toothpaste with 3 free toothbrushes for £1.
    Nipped in today, loads of cheap stuff, 18 oxo £1, pombears 5 pack 50p, 20l compost 99p.
    Very random my shopping is.
    Originally posted by curl girl
    So it's just a mega cheap end of lines, short dated stuff type of thing shop , I'm so excited
    Nanny to 2 Cherubs
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 13th Mar 17, 8:06 PM
    • 45,235 Posts
    • 538,953 Thanks
    bubbs
    a little as I don't have to run up & down stairs to go out side to smoke.
    Originally posted by Snap-ant
    Its a booger isnt it?
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • hampydoodums
    • By hampydoodums 13th Mar 17, 8:08 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 42,277 Thanks
    hampydoodums
    He also makes my skin crawl.....
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    I hope he gets found out soon, I really hope they don't string out this story line
    Nanny to 2 Cherubs
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 13th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    • 45,235 Posts
    • 538,953 Thanks
    bubbs
    With huge thanks to rhosynbach, vegan shepherds pie. Well received by vegan and carnivore alike

Originally posted by hornetgirl
    Yummy
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • hampydoodums
    • By hampydoodums 13th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 42,277 Thanks
    hampydoodums
    I'm down to 9% on my iPad, so sticking it on charge. Night folks
    Nanny to 2 Cherubs
    • Saversue
    • By Saversue 13th Mar 17, 8:12 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 20,713 Thanks
    Saversue
    Thanks for all your kind words and advice.
    I feel a really embarrassed posting my wows, but too late to undo what's done now

I don't know if things have changed recently due to cuts, but when I enquired about support for myself as a carer got sent round in circles. Authority where Mum lives told me I would have to apply through authority where I live.
    Authority where I live said I was only entitled to an assessment if I had needs with caring for myself and even though I am disabled I didn't fit their criteria for an assessment.
    Told me to get back in-touch with Mum's Authority as they should be able to provide Carer's Vouchers for leisure activities. This I am not interested in, but called them back to let them know what had been said.
    Got told in order to provide vouchers (which I don't want) they would have to come and assess Mum and tell her why they were there.
    Don't want Mum to know I am struggling, and that seems to be all that's available.

I have a number for Carers UK Adviceline, so going to see if they can help me in anyway tomorrow.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 13th Mar 17, 8:12 PM
    • 17,397 Posts
    • 187,099 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    a little as I don't have to run up & down stairs to go out side to smoke.
    Originally posted by Snap-ant
    If you are happy in yourself then what does it matter When my OH comes in from having a cigar he stinks to high heaven, really wish he would stop, but now is not the time. Just think, you used to stink of stale smoke, your hair, your clothes, everything. Now you probably drift around on a cloud of perfume, it must make such a difference
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • hornetgirl
    • By hornetgirl 13th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 5,040 Posts
    • 62,878 Thanks
    hornetgirl
    (((x))) Saversue and BarleySugar
    Unity is strength...Knowledge is power...Attitude is everything

MF 30 June 2010

Everything is fleeting, everything will change
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 13th Mar 17, 8:14 PM
    • 14,103 Posts
    • 175,306 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    I hope he gets found out soon, I really hope they don't string out this story line
    Originally posted by hampydoodums
    Sadly I think they will.

I do think the writers missed out how the police sh/would respond to a 16 year old turning up at the police station to give a witness statement for her 35 year old boyfriend who they are worried about a violent assault and kidnapping of another woman.... the alarm bells would have been ringing so loud you would not be able to hear!!
    Accumulative cost of having adult child in 2017.
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 13th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    • 17,397 Posts
    • 187,099 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    I feel a really embarrassed posting my wows, but too late to undo what's done now

I don't know if things have changed recently due to cuts, but when I enquired about support for myself as a carer got sent round in circles. Authority where Mum lives told me I would have to apply through authority where I live.
    Authority where I live said I was only entitled to an assessment if I had needs with caring for myself and even though I am disabled I didn't fit their criteria for an assessment.
    Told me to get back in-touch with Mum's Authority as they should be able to provide Carer's Vouchers for leisure activities. This I am not interested in, but called them back to let them know what had been said.
    Got told in order to provide vouchers (which I don't want) they would have to come and assess Mum and tell her why they were there.
    Don't want Mum to know I am struggling, and that seems to be all that's available.

I have a number for Carers UK Adviceline, so going to see if they can help me in anyway tomorrow.
    Originally posted by Saversue
    Please get help Sue, I know you want to do all you can for your mum, but you seriously cannot manage, and what happens if you get ill. The carers for my FiL made such a difference, and he went overnight into respite several times so my MiL and BiL could get a good night's sleep. Your mum must realise how hard it is for you, and perhaps it is worth telling her that at least it would be someone different to talk to.
    • Lilly Filly
    • By Lilly Filly 13th Mar 17, 8:18 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 760 Thanks
    Lilly Filly
    Evening everyone,

Not been around for ages due to difficulties in RL, but there is now light at the end of the tunnel

Want to bring something to the table to here it is:
    T's are reducing their Gillette Venus razors on 15th from £10 to £5 - any takers?

Want to give my thanks to the lovely yellowbird who brought us this great sharpie glitch.

Lilly
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 13th Mar 17, 8:19 PM
    • 13,561 Posts
    • 233,600 Thanks
    Snap-ant
    If you are happy in yourself then what does it matter When my OH comes in from having a cigar he stinks to high heaven, really wish he would stop, but now is not the time. Just think, you used to stink of stale smoke, your hair, your clothes, everything. Now you probably drift around on a cloud of perfume, it must make such a difference
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    smelling sweet

I can now smell it on others
    That was me before - blurgh
    Our Family Motto ~
    ♦ If all else fails - read the instructions ♦

• Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 13th Mar 17, 8:20 PM
    • 13,561 Posts
    • 233,600 Thanks
    Snap-ant
    Our Family Motto ~

• Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 13th Mar 17, 8:21 PM
    • 17,397 Posts
    • 187,099 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    My grandson would adore that We have a couple of those half full in the garage too
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 13th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 14,103 Posts
    • 175,306 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy

It can be frustrating, but keep going you will get there in the end.

Your mum is entitled to an assessment of need - this could include practical support as in someone coming in to help her, or financial support to pay someone to do this. I am not sure what the cut off point is for cost effectiveness with home care /residential care, it used to be anything over 12 hours a week is not cost effective to remain living independently (this is handy to know before hand).

As a carer, you are entitled to a carers assessment which can help for holidays, respite care etc.

Lots of people try to keep parents living independently as this is deemed to be the most idea, but often it looses focus on the needs of the individual and the impact on the rest of the family. x
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • MKS
    • By MKS 13th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 9,291 Posts
    • 144,440 Thanks
    MKS
    Sorry to come on here to have a moan again.

I read some of the adversities that many of you have to deal with and feel such empathy with you, but haven't got the words or energy to express how much I sympathise.

The situation with Mum seems to be deteriorating. She is in constant pain and becoming less mobile, is very unsteady on her feet and won't leave the house. Totally refuses to try a wheelchair and wouldn't even attempt to cross the front door with a Physio from the Falls Clinic.

Her memory is rapidly declining and she is having difficulty finding the words she wants to say.
    Yesterday she asked me to get "the 4 fruits from the cocktail dish" but couldn't say where I was to find them. Turned out she actually meant the punnet of nectarines from the fridge.

She also got very angry with me for making her "think" about paperwork I had spent hours working on (through the night) at home; after she asked me to explain what I had managed to sort out.

I always thought I would be able to cope with a physical decline, but to see her loosing her ability to think and function is so hard and I really don't know were to turn or what to do for the best. Except I will breath my last breath before I consider a Care Home.
    Please don't be so hard on yourself.
    A few of us on here have had the same journey. It isn't nice or pleasant, just so sad. There isn't a 'happy' answer.

I managed it for a few years, juggling my family life, looking after my DGC and running a business. At the end, something has to give and that's when you know it is the right time for extra help. Try as I might, I couldn't give my dad the care and extra time that he needed and deserved once he became immobile. When he went into his care home, the quality of his life improved 200%. Least of all, I could spend quality time with him without being 'frazzled' and attending to his needs and his housework. I did feel guilty about my decision (I am his only close living relation) but I couldn't stretch any further. Please don't let pride stay in the way of you continuing your enjoyment of your mums' company, albeit, it may be in a care home.
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 13th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 13,561 Posts
    • 233,600 Thanks
    Snap-ant

Found a holiday house by the sea for the Bank Holiday week in August ( my silly friend being born on the most expensive holiday week - I blame her Mum)
    very cheap. Looks fab, just waiting for her Partner to say Yes so I can book it ...........
    Our Family Motto ~

• Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 13th Mar 17, 8:26 PM
    • 14,103 Posts
    • 175,306 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Please don't be so hard on yourself.
    A few of us on here have had the same journey. It isn't nice or pleasant, just so sad. There isn't a 'happy' answer.

I managed it for a few years, juggling my family life, looking after my DGC and running a business. At the end, something has to give and that's when you know it is the right time for extra help. Try as I might, I couldn't give my dad the care and extra time that he needed and deserved once he became immobile. When he went into his care home, the quality of his life improved 200%. Least of all, I could spend quality time with him without being 'frazzled' and attending to his needs and his housework. I did feel guilty about my decision (I am his only close living relation) but I couldn't stretch any further. Please don't let pride stay in the way of you continuing your enjoyment of your mums' company, albeit, it may be in a care home.
    Originally posted by MKS
    Very well said x
    • rose28454
    • By rose28454 13th Mar 17, 8:31 PM
    • 4,573 Posts
    • 46,037 Thanks
    rose28454
    Rose how did you get on with assessors ?
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Well I went to work at 9.00am and managed 2 hours before the phone calls from assesor, electrician, damp man and hotel company got too much. My boss is great and I just said I needed to go and would be in tommorow or Wednesday. Was silly of me shouldnt have bothered today.
    When I left I called the assessor company. They took over the hotel thing and I am now booked in for a further 10 days b&B. Then they said electrician and damp man would come this afternoon and the both came about 2.30. Electrician said electric would have to stay off and he installed a temporary supply of plugs at the bottom of the stairs so the damp people could run their machines. Then he left and damp chap had a good look round and said 1st thing was to get a laundry company in to take all my clothes, the contents of the airing cupboard , bedding and curtains to be laundered. Then they will bring boxes and pack up the contents of the rooms, then pull up all the carpets and bin them. He then brought in 2 machines and set them up so the drying can start. He hopes to get permission for another couple of machines to speed things up.
    He told me to ring my water company as I am on a meter and ask them to check my consumption and arrange a refund. He was lovely and actually lives in my town and said had he been told earlier he would have come down on Saturday.
    He said you should have about 20% damp in your walls and most of them are at 99%!
    So looks like all rooms except maybe 2nd bedroom will have to have new electrics, be redecorated and have new flooring. No idea how long though.
    Last edited by rose28454; 13-03-2017 at 8:34 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,600Posts Today

7,805Users online

Martin's Twitter