Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    • 12,514Posts
    • 35,709Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread 16th Jun 16 at 8:27 PM
    Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

Please see post number 2 for all the relevant information on the thread. Savvybuyer's excellent lists are in the subsequent posts.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!
    Last edited by redfox; 16-06-2016 at 9:38 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 3381
    • rose28454
    • By rose28454 11th Mar 17, 7:38 PM
    • 4,669 Posts
    • 47,245 Thanks
    rose28454
    Just popping my hea d around the door and saw this.
    So sorry you are in a mess but look on the bright side, everything will be shiny and new when you finally get back in .
    I deal with insurance assessors all the time and they are usually a great bunch and nobodys fools.
    Just be polite and have a few bullet points, don't overload them with questions.
    It doesnt matter how long it takes, they will get you a hotel for as long as it takes - also mention any medical needs etc if relevant.
    If you can, start making a list of what is ruined, also I don't think it applies here but some insurances are void if the house is not checked every so many days while you are away.
    Wishing you a bright shiny home very soon , take care xxxxx
    Originally posted by wendyak
    Thanks and yes it will be shiny and new when its all sorted. Any idea how long they usually take to get it sorted? As in decorating and carpet replacement.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 11th Mar 17, 7:39 PM
    • 48,972 Posts
    • 598,905 Thanks
    bubbs
    Thanks and yes it will be shiny and new when its all sorted. Any idea how long they usually take to get it sorted? As in decorating and carpet replacement.
    Originally posted by rose28454
    Ours took a good few weeks depends on how quick it dries out
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :-4 stone 7lb week 38
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 11th Mar 17, 7:41 PM
    • 15,053 Posts
    • 186,359 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Afternoon all.
    Same here sm. I've got devious and hide stuff away. If it isn't asked for in 6 months it goes in the bin or charity shop bag.
    N x
    Originally posted by Naebbirac
    I think it is a man/woman thing...

What NOT to put in a v w shop
    5x Silver Spoon Caster Sugar (2kg) £3.00 £13.25
    1x ASDA Grower's Selection Carrots (1kg) £0.50 £0.60
    1x ASDA Grower's Selection Cucumber (each) £0.55 £0.50
    1.74x ASDA Butcher's Selection Boneless Pork Shoulder Joint (Typically 2kg) (per kg) £4.69 £10.00
    1x ASDA Grower's Selection Broccoli (360g) £0.50 £0.53
    1x ASDA Southern Fried 100% Chicken Breast Mini Fillets (305g) £2.50 N/A
    1x ASDA Grower's Selection Cauliflower (each) £0.80 £1.00
    1x ASDA Smartprice Strawberry Cheesecake (90g) £0.30 N/A
    Comparison total (compared products only) £10.04 £25.88
    Originally posted by bubbs
    10kg of Silver Spoon Caster Sugar for £3 OMG!
    Accumulative cost of having adult child in 2017.
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 11th Mar 17, 7:42 PM
    • 32,128 Posts
    • 457,822 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Oooh our Simply Cooks meal was gorgeous

I might not cancel my subscription now

I brought out my special Japanese plates for Chicken Katsu

They are not round by the way

To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • zippydooda
    • By zippydooda 11th Mar 17, 7:44 PM
    • 14,038 Posts
    • 228,967 Thanks
    zippydooda
    Zipster you are clever as i cant post a pic on here from phone can you check my working or while in the pub cause they may be right when you have had a few
    Easier than on lappy with the photobucket app. You'll have to ask me tomorrow for the sums. But if you don't mind an educated good guesser. Ask aau
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 11th Mar 17, 7:44 PM
    • 48,972 Posts
    • 598,905 Thanks
    bubbs
    I think it is a man/woman thing...

10kg of Silver Spoon Caster Sugar for £3 OMG!
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    Yes 60p a bag got me and sis some
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • Tinasmummy
    • By Tinasmummy 11th Mar 17, 7:45 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    Tinasmummy
    TM did you get any caster sugar?
    Hello Bubbs

got nothing, I'm destined never to have a stash
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 11th Mar 17, 7:47 PM
    • 25,204 Posts
    • 309,424 Thanks
    davemorton

Cheers Zippy.
    That bloke 2 tables up look like he is all by himself, invite him over.
    Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 11th Mar 17, 7:48 PM
    • 25,204 Posts
    • 309,424 Thanks
    davemorton
    What makes a Japanese plate a Japanese plate? The fact it isnt round?
    Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 11th Mar 17, 7:49 PM
    • 48,972 Posts
    • 598,905 Thanks
    bubbs
    Easier than on lappy with the photobucket app. You'll have to ask me tomorrow for the sums. But if you don't mind an educated good guesser. Ask aau
    Originally posted by zippydooda
    Will have a look at the app, but im not very good with them either
    Hello Bubbs

got nothing, I'm destined never to have a stash
    Originally posted by Tinasmummy
    Booooooooo, try harder you will get something soon, didnt you do razor?
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 11th Mar 17, 7:50 PM
    • 48,972 Posts
    • 598,905 Thanks
    bubbs
    Oooh our Simply Cooks meal was gorgeous

I might not cancel my subscription now

I brought out my special Japanese plates for Chicken Katsu

They are not round by the way

Originally posted by TrulyMadly
    yum yum
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 11th Mar 17, 7:55 PM
    • 32,128 Posts
    • 457,822 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Hi Tm
    Your idea is great and I hope you get the funding, I have been doing this for years for friends and family and in practice it is not always that easy, a willing student is a joy but one who is distracted or not interested is an utter nightmare and in my experience it is the distracted and not interested ones that need the help the most
    A friend (who is a good cook herself, long story mother and daughter falling out) asked me if I could help teach her daughter how to cook basic meals for her family last year. The first hurdle was time. I gave myself an hour or two a week, the reality it took 4 to 8 hours a week, then no basic equipment ( her mum and I helped putting together some equipment ) or store cupboard (again we both helped putting a bit of a store cupboard ) obviously these can be built up over time, then we had to deal with the distractions, children pack off to the grandmothers, tv and phones switched off , then you have to deal with all the excuses in the book, I canít cook, I donít want to cook, I donít have time, the children will not eat it etc etc
    Food shopping a half hour trip turned into a two hour battle of wills, exhausting
    Then you finally get to prepare some food, knife skills zero so plenty of plasters and kitchen roll for the tears, once a meal is made then it is getting the family to eat it, you think it would be the children but nope it was the husband that I had to convince to try new foods we had cooked
    It was a very long year, it should never have taken that long but we persevered and everything has turned out great, her mother and I are so proud of her, we started with pre-cut frozen veg and shop bought sauces and now she can prepare fresh veg and make her own sauces, as her confidence grew so did her skills and now she can cook healthy meals for her family, the key was building her confidence, now she is teaching her husband so that they can share the cooking
    Would I do it again, yes , would I go and cook in a complete stranger kitchen then that would be a huge no, my only concern would be my own safety
    Originally posted by vouchercrazy
    A great post VC. And you are so right.........the problem can be lack of motivation but I think that can sometimes be put down to poor mental health exacerbated by bad diet. It's an uphill battle but you did a fabulous job. Look at the difference you made

I think you are also right about the risks and that would have to be assessed.

Thank you for posting
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 11th Mar 17, 7:57 PM
    • 32,128 Posts
    • 457,822 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    What makes a Japanese plate a Japanese plate? The fact it isnt round?
    Originally posted by davemorton
    It says Made in Japan on the back

To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 11th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 32,128 Posts
    • 457,822 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    ooooh the brownies you could make!
    Originally posted by purpledonkey
    Lent

It will have to wait until Easter
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 11th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    • 32,128 Posts
    • 457,822 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Just bumping up again Think it was aau who highlighted the Disney £5.00 promotion Thanks It looks really good Persil £5.00 in Tesco and each email address can have 10 applications

Lots of nice wee gifts for around the £5.00
    Originally posted by mrsmac10
    I think it was hampy Mrs mac
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 11th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    • 48,972 Posts
    • 598,905 Thanks
    bubbs
    It says Made in Japan on the back

Originally posted by TrulyMadly
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 11th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    • 32,128 Posts
    • 457,822 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    4 months free google play music - must remember to cancel! Not for all users though

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/four-months-google-play-music-for-free-9-99pm-thereafter-poss-new-users-2629372
    Originally posted by Dizzy Ditzy
    Did you get your trains sorted out for your friends QoC?
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 11th Mar 17, 8:05 PM
    • 32,128 Posts
    • 457,822 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Well I had a busy week flying to Geneva to collect my sis to come home to Mums to recuperate with her broken leg. She was in hospital 2 weeks and a private clinic for 3 more which was costing her insurers nearly £900.00 per day. Anyway got back late Thursday night and went to work yesterday for 1/2 day.
    Went to my DD's for the afternoon and evening. Oh brought me home at 9.30pm as I had left my keys behind earlier. He opened the door for me and we were greeted by water cascading through the hall , bathroom and kitchen lights. I went to switch on a light and got a shock.
    OH drained down the tank , switched off the water and managed to switch off the electric with a stick. I was in bits and managed to call out the emergency cover chap. This was at 10p.m.and we decided to leave it till morning as he was going to take 3 hours to come.
    So went to DD'S for the night ( didnt sleep much!!)
    Repair chap came this morning and fixed the tank ( something to do with the ballcock.)
    The insurance said I could get a hotel as I cant have the power back on until its dried out and the assesor cant come till Monday.
    So I am in the brand new Premier Inn 5 minutes from home for 2 night initially.
    So any advice of how to deal with assesor gratefully received.
    My hall, lounge , landing and stair carpets are all soaking. My bedroom carpet is soaking too as is my memory foam mattress. There is water in my airing cupboard, bedroom cupboard and some on the edge of bedroom no 3. You can see water marks on the kitchen ceiling and the light in the shower exploded.
    At the moment I just have towels down to soak it up
    Originally posted by rose28454
    Sorry to hear this rose

I hope you get sorted soon
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 11th Mar 17, 8:07 PM
    • 32,128 Posts
    • 457,822 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    TM did you get any caster sugar?
    I slept in bubbs. The shelves were empty. I could have done with it. I have 200 cupcakes to make at the end of March
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • Tinasmummy
    • By Tinasmummy 11th Mar 17, 8:08 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    Tinasmummy
    Will have a look at the app, but im not very good with them either

Booooooooo, try harder you will get something soon, didnt you do razor?
    Yeah Bubbs I did, thanks to all the help on here,
    I was well chuffed with that
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,661Posts Today

6,037Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin