Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    • 12,032Posts
    • 34,680Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread 16th Jun 16 at 8:27 PM
    Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

Please see post number 2 for all the relevant information on the thread. Savvybuyer's excellent lists are in the subsequent posts.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!
    Last edited by redfox; 16-06-2016 at 9:38 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 3369
    • chocaholics
    • By chocaholics 10th Mar 17, 9:42 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 3,662 Thanks
    chocaholics
    Has everyone got their 1000 nectar points from Virgin. Has ANYONE got the Viking points yet?
    Originally posted by TrulyMadly
    I got only 500 points today so went on live chat and after a bit of persuasion they said they would give me the other 500 points tomorrow. The points are coming from Virgin which I didnt realise, I thought they were awarded by sainsbobs.
    • hornetgirl
    • By hornetgirl 10th Mar 17, 9:44 PM
    • 5,477 Posts
    • 67,370 Thanks
    hornetgirl
    When I did the Big Issue walk last week I met a lovely lady who volunteers for the Barons Court Project, a small charity which supports the homeless and those who are living with mental health issues. They have been given the opportunity to hold a bucket collection at Chelsea FC if they can get enough votes. I'm not after money, just a quick click of your mouse if you can spare a minute.
    Link on the charities board here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72233964#post72233964

Thank you x
    Unity is strength...Knowledge is power...Attitude is everything

MF 30 June 2010

Everything is fleeting, everything will change
    • chocaholics
    • By chocaholics 10th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 3,662 Thanks
    chocaholics
    I've had a brilliant day today.

I've had this idea chasing around in my head for years.

One of the downfalls of giving food parcels is that it doesn't really solve a lot of the underlying problems. It's a sort of stopgap measure...like a sticking plaster.
    One of the underlying problems is lack of knowledge/ experience/ not being able to shop and cook on a budget.

Imagine picking up a food parcel and attached to it, is a volunteer with a carrier bag of ingredients who would go back to your house with you and show you how to cook a very basic family meal. Imagine the kids coming home to a tasty casserole.
    So ....you start with a very basic repertoire of 4/5 meals, costed out at between £2 and £3 per meal for 4 for example.
    There's lots of things to be ironed out....health and safety and risk assessments, lack of cooking equipment ....some families are without even the most basic cookery stuff

Anyway I did a pitch for some funding today and it went really well. I feel really hopeful that this sort of intervention could make a huge difference to people...improving their health and lifestyle.

There's an army of women out there who are savvy shoppers and brilliant cooks. If we could match them with the young families who are struggling it would be a dream come true

What do you think?
    Think thats a fantastic idea. Good luck with funding TM.
    • streetlights
    • By streetlights 10th Mar 17, 9:51 PM
    • 3,566 Posts
    • 68,565 Thanks
    streetlights
    Another womble dated today
    1x Young's Chip Shop 4 Large Battered Haddock Fillets (480g) £4.00 £3.00 AvT and M
    Mortgage debt 45,000. Thank you all for your help so far in helping me save to buy the house. I could not have done this without all your help.
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 10th Mar 17, 9:52 PM
    • 33,131 Posts
    • 443,407 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    When I did the Big Issue walk last week I met a lovely lady who volunteers for the Barons Court Project, a small charity which supports the homeless and those who are living with mental health issues. They have been given the opportunity to hold a bucket collection at Chelsea FC if they can get enough votes. I'm not after money, just a quick click of your mouse if you can spare a minute.
    Link on the charities board here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72233964#post72233964

Thank you x
    Originally posted by hornetgirl
    I have clicked my mouse in your direction
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 10th Mar 17, 9:53 PM
    • 33,131 Posts
    • 443,407 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Think thats a fantastic idea. Good luck with funding TM.
    Originally posted by chocaholics
    And good luck to you too getting your vouchers back
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 10th Mar 17, 9:55 PM
    • 19,513 Posts
    • 253,043 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    I've managed a further two stores tonight and it's all change again. It seems that I was wrong about two things (although I'm still not completely sure whether I am right or wrong about one of them), that I was right about one thing and I've got a couple of cheaper prices than what I had before (the cheaper prices are now store-specific).

The Stephenson's Fruited Teacakes (when not on stickered reduction) are in fact straight 50p, despite me being told they were 65p over the last two days at two separate tills. I do not know why scanning two at the till last time got the 50p price coming up (as 2 at £1). With SELs of "50p price crunch" all over the place, I had one 50p SEL too far. They scan at SS as 65p minus 15p. I thought the one store where I saw 65p & 2 for £1 was correct as I have had (judging by online previously over another totally separate range of items, although who knows if that is correct) one store right and multiple stores wrong before. No wonder the product is OOS in the '2 for £1' store - people probably unnecessarily buying two. I do not suggest this is deliberate - the store may have simply failed to remove an offer label that expired on 4th December last year. (It does draw to mind that recent "Inside Out" programme that related to another retailer.)

I have now found the Red Bull 12 packs. Or at least one of the two anyway - I suppose one is better than neither of them. However, trust me to pick a store with two price cards - one of them for £8 and another for £9.92. Without seeing them before, I thought they might have remained unchanged, like the Typhoo 480 bags have. I am now thinking they have gone up and are £9.92, probably until I think something else when I see another store later. I have checked, at the till unfortunately, unable to check at SS every time, and been told they are coming up at £9.92. Which means nowt as the Teacakes apparently came up at 65p last time. I notice that the £8 offer card has the date 9th February on it and the £9.92 one has 8th March - however, even that is not assured as I have seen newly printed labels (according to the dates on them, I assume they are) giving an apparently incorrect offer price after the offer had ended (I checked at the SS later and got full price). Nevertheless, on the basis of what I've been told at the till (to be fair, the (different) SA this time, as different store, said they were "coming up" at the price - they didn't say that was what they are) and because the offer card dates seem to support this, I think the Red Bull cans 12 pack are now £9.92. I would also not be surprised if they had increased (although the previous offer card suggests that the £8 price had been on for a month) because they did work out at a better price than alternative Red Bull packs, so I can imagine they would not want to remain at that price too much. In short, I am thinking they are not £8 any more although of course I could probably have got the £8 price because the £8 card was up. There is that doubt there as both cards are showing; however I think that, were I to buy the product, I should be charged the lower price of the two prices that are showing.

So, this post has dealt with what it seems I was wrong about before - the Teacakes are in fact 50p not 65p and 2 for £1 (contrary to what I said earlier through my not trusting numerous SELs) and I now think I was wrong to think the Red Bull 12 pack cans were still £8 as I now think they are £9.92 although I am still not completely sure.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 10-03-2017 at 10:08 PM.
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 10th Mar 17, 9:56 PM
    • 33,131 Posts
    • 443,407 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Juju....did you get sorted out with Gin?

Can I recommend this one

http://www.daffysgin.com/daffys-gin-home/

The bottle itself is beautiful too but then I always was a fur coat and no knickers sort of girl

We paid £28 in W using a money off coupon but I think it was originally £36
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 10th Mar 17, 9:59 PM
    • 33,131 Posts
    • 443,407 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Think I'll blow caution to the wind and have a Bacardi and Coke

Surely I won't have a headache with just one?
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • hornetgirl
    • By hornetgirl 10th Mar 17, 10:06 PM
    • 5,477 Posts
    • 67,370 Thanks
    hornetgirl
    All this drink talk...we finally got round to cracking open that 7 Up mojito stuff. It reminds me of a watered down version of the minty yogurt dip you get with an Indian takeaway. I'll drink it, but only because it was free. Definitely wouldn't pay for it.
    Unity is strength...Knowledge is power...Attitude is everything

MF 30 June 2010

Everything is fleeting, everything will change
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 10th Mar 17, 10:07 PM
    • 19,513 Posts
    • 253,043 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Good evening I hope you are well. From a womble dated today AvM
    1x L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Express Pro Self-Tanning Dry Mist Medium Skin Body (150ml) £15.00 £10.00

1x ASDA Fishmonger's Selection Mussels in White Wine Sauce (500g) £3.00 £2.00

AvT

1x L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Express Pro Self-Tanning Dry Mist Medium Skin Body (150ml) £15.00 £14.00
    Originally posted by streetlights
    They work! (To be fair, I did not expect them not to as there seemed no reason to me why they should not and I already have them on the list.)

Msm does not have any competitor price showing on the A product, possibly because it has the A mussels as being "Cooked" - even though the M product is on there (but doesn't say "Cooked"). However, the Sains. version is called "Cooked" on msm and yet isn't against the A product either (maybe their computer is calling Sains. version "Scottish" mussels). The A and M product in my view are correctly comparable though and there is no big difference over the word "Cooked" (that's just a "Savvybuyer" thing, of a single word that causes me not to be 100% confident - but I put them onto the list despite this - I was confident enough - and the price collectors agree). £1.80 for 500g though. There can, from time to time, be fresh Counter Mussels available for cheaper price per kilogram although they don't have the wine sauce.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 10-03-2017 at 10:14 PM.
    • gocat
    • By gocat 10th Mar 17, 10:08 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 52,795 Thanks
    gocat
    A vs S
    A vs S

1x Always Discreet Plus M Incontinence Pants (9ct) £7.50 £6.50
    0.17x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Gala Apple (Typically 160g) (per kg) £0.31 N/A
    0.15x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Banana (order by number of bananas or select kg) (per kg) £0.10 N/A
    0.12x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Onion (order by number of onions or select kg) (per kg) £0.09 £0.09
    1x Heinz Beanz in Rich Tomato Sauce (4x415g) £2.00 N/A
    1x Quaker Oat So Simple Original Porridge (324g) £2.38 £2.00
    1x Quaker Oat So Simple Golden Syrup Porridge (360g) £2.38 £2.00

Always £6 coupon on victoria.co.uk
    • chocaholics
    • By chocaholics 10th Mar 17, 10:08 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 3,662 Thanks
    chocaholics
    Here it is
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Oh thanks bubbs and tbw. I was in a neg. balance last week but didnt
    get any refund, my shop then was minus £3 something. Todays is
    about minus £9. I should not have ticked no subs on the Lenor, plus 5 sharpies I refused as I really thought they were the wrong ones as no shower holder mentioned on the pack and was quite happy with that, plus the manky veg pack I refused made me minus about £9 but I seem to be paying £18. Am a bit confused to be honest.
    • chocaholics
    • By chocaholics 10th Mar 17, 10:13 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 3,662 Thanks
    chocaholics
    And good luck to you too getting your vouchers back
    Cheers lovely.x
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 10th Mar 17, 10:17 PM
    • 49,727 Posts
    • 574,886 Thanks
    bubbs
    Oh thanks bubbs and tbw. I was in a neg. balance last week but didnt
    get any refund, my shop then was minus £3 something. Todays is
    about minus £9. I should not have ticked no subs on the Lenor, plus 5 sharpies I refused as I really thought they were the wrong ones as no shower holder mentioned on the pack and was quite happy with that, plus the manky veg pack I refused made me minus about £9 but I seem to be paying £18. Am a bit confused to be honest.
    Originally posted by chocaholics
    Mine still has not gone collected yet
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

-3 st 4 1/2 lb week 21
    • MKS
    • By MKS 10th Mar 17, 10:18 PM
    • 9,584 Posts
    • 147,176 Thanks
    MKS
    I've had a brilliant day today.

I've had this idea chasing around in my head for years.

One of the downfalls of giving food parcels is that it doesn't really solve a lot of the underlying problems. It's a sort of stopgap measure...like a sticking plaster.
    One of the underlying problems is lack of knowledge/ experience/ not being able to shop and cook on a budget.

Imagine picking up a food parcel and attached to it, is a volunteer with a carrier bag of ingredients who would go back to your house with you and show you how to cook a very basic family meal. Imagine the kids coming home to a tasty casserole.
    So ....you start with a very basic repertoire of 4/5 meals, costed out at between £2 and £3 per meal for 4 for example.
    There's lots of things to be ironed out....health and safety and risk assessments, lack of cooking equipment ....some families are without even the most basic cookery stuff

Anyway I did a pitch for some funding today and it went really well. I feel really hopeful that this sort of intervention could make a huge difference to people...improving their health and lifestyle.

There's an army of women out there who are savvy shoppers and brilliant cooks. If we could match them with the young families who are struggling it would be a dream come true

What do you think?
    Absolutely brilliant.

Was once given a bit of advice in business... keep it simple. The more complicated it becomes, the harder it is.

There are also a lot of single parents/single people - young and senior who are savvy shoppers and brilliant cooks and some people just have 'time' on their hands. Would be a win win situation for everyone.

I would hazard a guess that the biggest stumbling block would be 'pride' or 'ignorance' (in the nicest possible way) and also 'marrying up' prospective helpers and families. Social media could be used ie local site on fb, then it would be 'families' volunteering to be paired as opposed to feeling that they are failing in feeding their family/managing their budget as best they can, if someone suggests it to them. Out of context, but a bit like a very large person not thinking that they are eating 'wrong'. When they decide for themselves that they want to loose weight and choose to go to a slimming club/search out a healthier way to eat.

On a local level, I am very proud of DD2, she cooks from scratch. She has converted a lot of DGDs friends Mums to do the same. Explaining that it is so much more economic to batch cook and then have 'ready meals' from the freezer. Speg Bol, Chilli (very mild from the freezer but spiced up for adult taste once the children's portions are out), curry (ditto as per chilli), pasta bake (leftovers or just over cook basic pasta bake - pasta and sauce and add extras (bacon, meatballs etc) when it has defrosted).

The same Mums look horrified (when I chat with them when I pick up DGD) when I tell them to use any leftover veg to make soup for lunch. Later have said that DD or DS loved making it and eating it.

Please keep us posted TM.
    • chocaholics
    • By chocaholics 10th Mar 17, 10:20 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 3,662 Thanks
    chocaholics
    Have booked childs ticket euston to birmingham £2. Thanks aau I saw your suggestion. Hope they pay up properly this time.
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 10th Mar 17, 10:21 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 17,976 Thanks
    curl girl
    Morning peeps.

Code on the other side for £10 off a £50 spend on alcohol today only on Amazon.

Really tempted....... Thanks to the poster.
    Originally posted by curl girl
    Just quoting myself for the drinkers on the late shift.
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboards!!!
    • Anon
    • By Anon 10th Mar 17, 10:21 PM
    • 11,943 Posts
    • 131,063 Thanks
    Anon
    DM - how have you find British Pie Week?

According to John Bishop on Late Night With ... the top pie in the North is Steak and Potato (we would know it as Meat and Potato ).

In the South? Bannoffee Pie

I ask you, I wonder if we are the same country sometimes ..

Anon
    • chocaholics
    • By chocaholics 10th Mar 17, 10:30 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 3,662 Thanks
    chocaholics
    Mine still has not gone collected yet
    Originally posted by bubbs
    I am sure it will be OK as others have been good today. I think Chris was right about how the refund was processed as I picked it up from a petrol station so maybe they dont know what theyre doing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,166Posts Today

9,774Users online

Martin's Twitter