Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    • 11,204Posts
    • 32,760Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread 16th Jun 16 at 8:27 PM
    Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

Please see post number 2 for all the relevant information on the thread. Savvybuyer's excellent lists are in the subsequent posts.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!
    Last edited by redfox; 16-06-2016 at 9:38 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 1431
    • altojack
    • By altojack 17th Oct 16, 8:43 AM
    • 7,931 Posts
    • 109,364 Thanks
    altojack
    Good morning Elite

Bright start to the day here, sun coming through

Didn't sleep well last night, woke up at 3am and couldn't get back to sleep

You swipers have been doing well, congratulations . I've really enjoyed reading this weekend all your exploits good healthy balances. Maybe next year for me X
    There's no place like home
    • aau1
    • By aau1 17th Oct 16, 8:56 AM
    • 18,165 Posts
    • 316,729 Thanks
    aau1
    Thank you - have we heard of the iOS only Green Jinn app until this? It is one that has passed me by.

Edit - launched 24/9 - some graphics look like MSM?

Anon
    Originally posted by Anon
    People have been using it on scc for a few weeks. I've not partaken as nothing interested me before so i can't advise on payout thresholds/options
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is the word a moorhen
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 17th Oct 16, 8:58 AM
    • 14,325 Posts
    • 171,995 Thanks
    mhoc
    Giovanni Rana Pasta

£1 in S, less 70p cb on GJ, less 50p moc
    https://www.facebook.com/couponsandcashback/posts/1756886907893735
    Originally posted by aau1
    thanks for this - if I ask OH to go to sainsbuys again today he will explode!

on my nectar page I've got bonus points for buying Whiskas creamy soup and its on GJ with £1.20 back - seems to be £3 according to mysupermarket

I did my first uploads over the weekend and it seems very straightforward.
    I bought the sparkling elderflower because it is on offer for £1.50 and I got 70p for that but I also wombled a nice receipt with spinach and salmon on
    So I've got £3.10 to draw down already
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • Westvleteren
    • By Westvleteren 17th Oct 16, 9:01 AM
    • 3,966 Posts
    • 88,064 Thanks
    Westvleteren
    Good evening. Has anyone investigated premium bonds for savings? There was an rticle in The Times today which got me thinking ... but then if I am considering it, you can bet the rate will drop or the terms will change!

Many thanks

Anon
    Mother has maxed them out and over the course of two years has averaged £75 a month. How that compares to spreading it out over your typical current/ savings accounts I don't know.
    Last edited by Westvleteren; 17-10-2016 at 9:12 AM.
    Something unexpected happened which made me smile and still continues to make me smile.
    "Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations."
    • Busylizzie
    • By Busylizzie 17th Oct 16, 9:02 AM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 37,639 Thanks
    Busylizzie
    Morning Everyone

Really excited this morning as been contacted by a firm of heir hunters as a distant cousin has died intestate....not sure what it means yet but hope it might pay for a holiday next year

Feel a bit sad though as he was only about six years older than me but never married, both parents dead and very shy. I haven't seen him since I was about 12. Excited but don't really feel entitled to money from someone I didn't really know.
    • emerald21
    • By emerald21 17th Oct 16, 9:08 AM
    • 8,535 Posts
    • 98,276 Thanks
    emerald21
    the 75pts wys £25 ends today

https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/collect-points

Fingers crossed for you that it rolls over
    Hopefully they ll have a voucher in the Christmas magazine for 100 points like they did last year

Good Morning all and Nellie
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 17th Oct 16, 9:10 AM
    • 8,020 Posts
    • 47,794 Thanks
    LEJC
    good morning all....

Well yesterday I played at the meat counter in T and did very well spending just over £2 mainly on packs of meat and puff pastry pies that were all reduced to 30p each.
    the freezer is now full and TBH it will keep us going well into next month

.....but I ordered 2 cases of white from Twine

so that clearly is my downfall

off to read back on what I missed last night,seems lots of posts.

have a lovely day all,it might be the last nice day of weather before the chill sets in x
    participating in frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    November spend £41.01 of £40
    Am I brave enough to track what we spend on Dec/Christmas food.....
    • aau1
    • By aau1 17th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 18,165 Posts
    • 316,729 Thanks
    aau1
    Morning Everyone

Really excited this morning as been contacted by a firm of heir hunters as a distant cousin has died intestate....not sure what it means yet but hope it might pay for a holiday next year

Feel a bit sad though as he was only about six years older than me but never married, both parents dead and very shy. I haven't seen him since I was about 12. Excited but don't really feel entitled to money from someone I didn't really know.
    Originally posted by Busylizzie
    I'm sure your cousin would rather it went to a relative (no matter how distant) than be tied up for years and eventually handed over to the state
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is the word a moorhen
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 17th Oct 16, 9:12 AM
    • 34,081 Posts
    • 142,513 Thanks
    silvercar
    Good evening. Has anyone investigated premium bonds for savings? There was an rticle in The Times today which got me thinking ... but then if I am considering it, you can bet the rate will drop or the terms will change!

Many thanks

Anon
    Also thinking about this, since my emergency money is getting 0.01%. seems a safe way to hold some cash with a not terrible rate.

Morning Everyone

Has to go to someone, may as well be you. If he had wanted anyone particularly close to him to inherit, he would have left a will. Question is how many other cousins are there?
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 17th Oct 16, 9:17 AM
    • 14,325 Posts
    • 171,995 Thanks
    mhoc
    Mother has maxed them out and over the course of two years has averaged £75 a month. How that compares to your typical current/ savings account I don't know.
    Originally posted by Westvleteren
    so £50K is the max but I imagine that there are people out there who invested in ISAs when they were big news many many years ago who only get 0.50% now so why not - might as well have some fun with your money

About 30 years ago I found £5 wet in a gutter when £5 was a significant amount so I bought a premium bond - never won anything. OH has won once

I ought to register online
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • Busylizzie
    • By Busylizzie 17th Oct 16, 9:19 AM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 37,639 Thanks
    Busylizzie
    I'm sure your cousin would rather it went to a relative (no matter how distant) than be tied up for years and eventually handed over to the state
    Has to go to someone, may as well be you. If he had wanted anyone particularly close to him to inherit, he would have left a will. Question is how many other cousins are there?
    Originally posted by silvercar
    Mmmm......true. I just suspect that he didn't have anyone close at all which is very sad.
    Think I'm one of four.
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 17th Oct 16, 9:44 AM
    • 3,334 Posts
    • 34,585 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    so £50K is the max but I imagine that there are people out there who invested in ISAs when they were big news many many years ago who only get 0.50% now so why not - might as well have some fun with your money

About 30 years ago I found £5 wet in a gutter when £5 was a significant amount so I bought a premium bond - never won anything. OH has won once

I ought to register online
    Originally posted by mhoc
    I had the max when it was 30k and used to get 25-50 a month. One wedding, one semi-retirement and 2 g/kids later and they are no more...but it was always a nice little thrill banking the cheques and being a millionaire-in-waiting.

I'd start building them up again, but at the moment the mini pension seems a better vehicle to deposit any extras into, as they say I can get that out as a lump in 3 years, so 20% tax relief on additional contributions averages over 6% p.a. over the time I have in mind, plus any little bits of growth that occurs during the period. Not talking mega-bucks, but it all helps.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• mhoc
    • By mhoc 17th Oct 16, 9:49 AM
    • 14,325 Posts
    • 171,995 Thanks
    mhoc
    Morning Everyone

If there are only 4 of you who might be entitled might it be worth a look at this?

https://www.gov.uk/unclaimed-estates-bona-vacantia

The distant cousins name will be on this list

Looking at the list of evidence needed it looks like a daunting task, proving your eligibility and you need to make a family tree with all of the relevant dates ...
    My solicitor has free initial half hour appointments so it might be the same with yours - do your initial research first and see what you think - these inheritance firms charge very high fees, no idea how much exactly but it might be a percentage (plus costs and VAT) .....
    • Nellie35
    • By Nellie35 17th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 12,300 Thanks
    Nellie35
    Hopefully they ll have a voucher in the Christmas magazine for 100 points like they did last year

Good Morning all and Nellie
    Originally posted by emerald21
    Good morning emerald, hope you are well Good morning everyone. Off to S this morning to return some ill fitting clothing, anyone else? Also have some points that need to be added. Have a good day everyone
    • Busylizzie
    • By Busylizzie 17th Oct 16, 9:57 AM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 37,639 Thanks
    Busylizzie
    If there are only 4 of you who might be entitled might it be worth a look at this?

Looking at the list of evidence needed it looks like a daunting task, proving your eligibility and you need to make a family tree with all of the relevant dates ...
    My solicitor has free initial half hour appointments so it might be the same with yours - do your initial research first and see what you think - these inheritance firms charge very high fees, no idea how much exactly but it might be a percentage (plus costs and VAT) .....
    I think one of the other heirs has initiated the claim with a solicitor and I think it was the solicitor who instructed the hunter firm to draw up the family tree and contact the relatives. So I suppose I just have to wait for further information?
    • chocaholics
    • By chocaholics 17th Oct 16, 9:58 AM
    • 236 Posts
    • 2,818 Thanks
    chocaholics

Yes, this happened to me and the genealogist who informed us would not disclose who it was that had left the money and we had no idea who it was, and it turned out to be a great uncle who we knew nothing of. Anyway the genealogist company took nearly half of the entire estate which was quite substantial. Unfortunately it was divided into loads of recipients so wasnt a huge sum in the end. So if you can investigate yourself and bypass the genealogist you will be a lot better off.
    Good luck
    • Nannylala
    • By Nannylala 17th Oct 16, 10:10 AM
    • 6,738 Posts
    • 109,674 Thanks
    Nannylala
    Good morning first job this morning is to clear the front lawn ..a fox has ripped a rubbish bag open and strewn the contents every where before the dustman arrived ..
    • Busylizzie
    • By Busylizzie 17th Oct 16, 10:29 AM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 37,639 Thanks
    Busylizzie
    Yes, this happened to me and the genealogist who informed us would not disclose who it was that had left the money and we had no idea who it was, and it turned out to be a great uncle who we knew nothing of. Anyway the genealogist company took nearly half of the entire estate which was quite substantial. Unfortunately it was divided into loads of recipients so wasnt a huge sum in the end. So if you can investigate yourself and bypass the genealogist you will be a lot better off.
    Good luck
    Originally posted by chocaholics
    Think I will ring the Treasury Solicitor and take it from there.... Thanks
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 17th Oct 16, 10:29 AM
    • 14,325 Posts
    • 171,995 Thanks
    mhoc
    Freecycle - sometimes you just despair, this is a message from this mornings crop

notice how many times the word "new" comes up

"WANTED: Wanted NEW HOUSE stuff!
    My boyfriend and I are moving house soon, and are looking for new furniture or anything needed in a new house! Let me know what you've got!"
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 17th Oct 16, 10:39 AM
    • 3,334 Posts
    • 34,585 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Freecycle - sometimes you just despair, this is a message from this mornings crop

notice how many times the word "new" comes up

"WANTED: Wanted NEW HOUSE stuff!
    My boyfriend and I are moving house soon, and are looking for new furniture or anything needed in a new house! Let me know what you've got!"

Well I suppose if you don't ask, you don't get, but the word 'nearly' would have gone a long way in soothing readers' ruffled feathers.

I'd be telling them that I've got plenty of new stuff, but it isn't actually available...

PO and B00ts for me in a bit - got a few days off so need to catch up on collections.
    Last edited by Serendipitious; 17-10-2016 at 10:42 AM.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,680Posts Today

6,381Users online

Martin's Twitter