Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    • 11,190Posts
    • 32,694Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread 16th Jun 16 at 8:27 PM
    Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

Please see post number 2 for all the relevant information on the thread. Savvybuyer's excellent lists are in the subsequent posts.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!
    Last edited by redfox; 16-06-2016 at 9:38 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 1368
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 13th Oct 16, 3:43 PM
    • 8,006 Posts
    • 47,626 Thanks
    LEJC
    Hi bubbs...hope all went as well as possible today and your chap had a lovely send off....x
    participating in frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    November spend £41.01 of £40
    Am I brave enough to track what we spend on Dec/Christmas food.....
    • hornetgirl
    • By hornetgirl 13th Oct 16, 3:46 PM
    • 4,650 Posts
    • 58,063 Thanks
    hornetgirl
    Some fascinating discussions and insights on the thread today, thank you so much to everyone for sharing their thoughts. Generally when we have a frugal month it's a bit of a "fun" thing, just a way of saving a bit more for the holiday pot, but with lots of others doing it too it's made it so much more interesting and thought provoking.
    Retirement will be the next life stage for us, with DH retiring early if at all possible, so ensuring that we can live comfortably on less is good training for that. It's so hard to know how to prepare for retirement. My dad passed away at the relatively young age of 73, having retired at 62, so for him it was quite a short life stage, although of course he couldn't have known that. My mum on the other hand lived until 92, which she herself would never have predicted. DH's parents are both still alive aged 86 and 81. I would like to think we need to be prepared for a long retirement, but also want to do a bit of living in the now, while we're fit and well enough to enjoy doing so. Such a balancing act.
    For us, the best thing we ever did was get our mortgage paid off early. That made a huge difference to our lifestyle.

In other news, we too have tenants vacating at the end of the month. My brother in law who lives nearby does regular checks on the property and says it always looks like a show home. The tenants are, completely unprompted, currently repainting the house from top to bottom as they want to leave it in good order! It was all freshly decorated immediately before they moved in two years ago. Not all landlords are bad, and not all tenants are either
    Last edited by hornetgirl; 13-10-2016 at 4:07 PM. Reason: add a bit
    Unity is strength...Knowledge is power...Attitude is everything

MF 30 June 2010
    • Perranlady
    • By Perranlady 13th Oct 16, 3:54 PM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 18,888 Thanks
    Perranlady
    Hi all, little dish are offering another voucher for a free meal, valid in tesco only, just a thought, coupon in tesco mag for £1 off little dish, do we think the 2 will combine?
    Just ignore me if I am talking rubbish!
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 13th Oct 16, 3:59 PM
    • 41,595 Posts
    • 504,662 Thanks
    bubbs
    Hope things go reasonably well today bubbs.

Personally I think people in New Orleans have the best idea for funerals!

Me, I would prefer to be just buried somewhere quietly, no funeral, people can remember me alive and kicking. I don't think that is what will happen though. I know it sounds awful, but to me the body is just a shell, it is not who we are. The essence of us will always be around.
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    Bless your dad.

Can you imagine people trying to sort our stashes out

Hope today goes well for everyone esp. Bubbs and enterprise. X
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    Thanks
    Hi bubbs...hope all went as well as possible today and your chap had a lovely send off....x
    Originally posted by LEJC
    Hello
    Thanks, yes was heart wrenching with his son though, as he walks with a rollator (sp) but he was so upset took him about 15 mins to get in the church as he was sobbing so hard couldnt concentrate on his walking
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    FOR ALL YOU MOANERS , LOOSE GRAPES, MUSHROOM DOES NOT COUNT ON APG DO NOT BUY AS FILLER
    Happy now?
    • vanilla twist
    • By vanilla twist 13th Oct 16, 4:05 PM
    • 3,736 Posts
    • 56,013 Thanks
    vanilla twist
    The last time I actually paid any NI is 25 years ago.

I worked a couple of part time jobs playschool/toddler group when the girls were young which were not enough for any contributions but I was getting HRP as I was getting child benefit then.

I will get onto it and find out my details tomorrow, probably all covered in dust and cobwebs now.
    Originally posted by Tinyshoes
    It would be worth you paying your yearly NI contributions now you are not covered under child benefit so you can be entitled to your own full pension. You never know what the furture holds.

V x
    . I do think a chaise lounge is a good description of you though. Stylish yet comfortable and laid back
    Originally posted by fairclaire
    May the odds be ever in your favour

SPC 7 Pot No 410 £232.63 Total
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 13th Oct 16, 4:09 PM
    • 41,595 Posts
    • 504,662 Thanks
    bubbs
    L'Oreal Volume Million Lashes Mascara So Couture (was £9.99) Now £6.99 + on 3 for 2 offer + FREE C+C @ Superdrug (Free Del if Beauty Card Holder)
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/l-oreal-volume-million-lashes-mascara-couture-was-9-99-now-6-99-3-for-2-offer-free-2527652
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    FOR ALL YOU MOANERS , LOOSE GRAPES, MUSHROOM DOES NOT COUNT ON APG DO NOT BUY AS FILLER
    Happy now?
    • vanilla twist
    • By vanilla twist 13th Oct 16, 4:10 PM
    • 3,736 Posts
    • 56,013 Thanks
    vanilla twist
    Good thought but I don't think that is the sort of job for me, I already got chucked off Ts home panels and I have enough trying to remember to do my Orchard stuff. I would be terrible at remember to do write ups etc. Think I need something a bit more structured/disciplined.
    Originally posted by Tinyshoes
    From my memory of mystery shopping when you accept an assignment you have to say the date and time you will be doing it them complete the questionnaire before midnight so quite structured. you need only do the ones that suit you. Pay is terrible but the perks are usually very good. Often an outlay to make then they reimburse you.

V x
    . I do think a chaise lounge is a good description of you though. Stylish yet comfortable and laid back
    Originally posted by fairclaire
    May the odds be ever in your favour

SPC 7 Pot No 410 £232.63 Total
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 13th Oct 16, 4:13 PM
    • 41,595 Posts
    • 504,662 Thanks
    bubbs
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil XXL 1 litre size £1.67 @ Lidl - national run out of stock
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/extra-virgin-olive-xxl-1-litre-size-1-67-lidl-national-out-stock-2527433
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    Happy now?
    • emerald21
    • By emerald21 13th Oct 16, 4:16 PM
    • 8,509 Posts
    • 98,058 Thanks
    emerald21
    Hi Emerald long time no see I have been to the station and got a Northern train timetable for where I would like to go ie. York and Liverpool,I also rang call centre for N/R slightly helpful.

You and Nellie ok. ok here .
    Originally posted by ellie14

Hi Ellie yes indeed. Nellie and I would like to go to York but will have to wait and see if she can work the route out as it's all to do with timings and of course using just Northern rail trains lol. I have every faith in her. I can't even see the route map as too small . Liverpool is easy for us / i to get to if you do make your way there.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 13th Oct 16, 4:18 PM
    • 41,595 Posts
    • 504,662 Thanks
    bubbs
    Red/White Wine - Australian/Chilean/Italian - 75cl bottles £2.99 - LIDL 'Till 19th October
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/red-white-wine-australian-chilean-italian-75cl-bottles-2-99-lidl-19th-october-2527464
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    Happy now?
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 13th Oct 16, 4:19 PM
    • 41,595 Posts
    • 504,662 Thanks
    bubbs
    Andrex 18 Pack Toilet Rolls £6.00 at Morrisons
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/andrex-18-pack-toilet-rolls-6-morrisons-2527354
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    Happy now?
    • emerald21
    • By emerald21 13th Oct 16, 4:20 PM
    • 8,509 Posts
    • 98,058 Thanks
    emerald21
    Is your mum up and about again Ellie ?

Poor chap bubbs
    • ellie14
    • By ellie14 13th Oct 16, 4:22 PM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 11,739 Thanks
    ellie14
    I am sure Nellie will get it right ,then you will be off,any good deals to eat in york,someone may know.

Any chance the lager working today ,I could call shortly,thanks.
    • emerald21
    • By emerald21 13th Oct 16, 4:30 PM
    • 8,509 Posts
    • 98,058 Thanks
    emerald21
    I am sure Nellie will get it right ,then you will be off,any good deals to eat in york,someone may know.

Any chance the lager working today ,I could call shortly,thanks.
    Originally posted by ellie14
    Well I've never been to York so would be nice even for a quick visit I think our font of knowledge for this would be the much travelled mhoc
    • gocat
    • By gocat 13th Oct 16, 4:40 PM
    • 4,120 Posts
    • 47,147 Thanks
    gocat
    Very non mse day today. Like I said the other day, having to get oh and his oxygen tanks, from fen st to belgrave square and back and was asking advise on Uber. Well, got to fen st and couldn't get the Uber app to work, so had to take a black cab. £24 there and £33 back. Don't know why more expensive coming back. Most expensive tour of London Ive every had
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 13th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    • 14,277 Posts
    • 171,570 Thanks
    mhoc
    Well I've never been to York so would be nice even for a quick visit I think our font of knowledge for this would be the much travelled mhoc
    Originally posted by emerald21
    Yes I am the font of knowledge re York but its one of those places you need to keep coming back to as its impossible not to fall in love with it

It has all of the chain restaurants but avoid Bella Italia but Groupon and Living social are a good place to look for more interesting eating places.

Accommodation is horribly expensive but if you can think a long while ahead you can get cheaper Travelodge rooms/premier inn rooms mid week and winter but it really does not have a low season now. There are 2 of each in town plus several on the outskirts
    - avoid half terms, all of the summer holidays, December, Food festival weekends, Race weekends, freshers week and any weekend when any type of festival is on.

Accor happy Mondays - if you get lucky you can get Mecure which is just outside York for £40 on a Friday night or Sunday night or Ibis for £25 a night - almost impossible to get a Saturday night. This is good for lst minite breaks as you can only book a week or 2 ahead.
    Hilton - when they have sales you can sometimes get Sunday nights for £80 or so but on the plus side its right opposite Cliffords tower

If you are not fussy the White Horse at Bootham has rooms for £60 a night - no parking and no breakfast but clean, warm and very central, easy walk from the station and fine for an overnight stay.
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 13th Oct 16, 4:49 PM
    • 14,277 Posts
    • 171,570 Thanks
    mhoc
    Very non mse day today. Like I said the other day, having to get oh and his oxygen tanks, from fen st to belgrave square and back and was asking advise on Uber. Well, got to fen st and couldn't get the Uber app to work, so had to take a black cab. £24 there and £33 back. Don't know why more expensive coming back. Most expensive tour of London Ive every had
    Originally posted by gocat
    But you got the passport sorted out? At least its a job you dont need to do again for a long time
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 13th Oct 16, 4:49 PM
    • 3,305 Posts
    • 34,259 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Bubbs, I'm glad the funeral is now over for you. x

Well my confession today is £1.50 for a sandwich in MnS when I went to collect my trousers during my break!

In one way I begrudge the waste.

But I was hungry, was out by 8 and couldn't face breakfast beforehand, nor could I face making a packed lunch at 7-ish. Anyway, half of it made a late breakfast and the other half a late lunch. And I have done very well out of MnS this week and last!

It's also my only food spend of today.

A bit later on I will make a sandwich for tomorrow.

I really miss the Up and Go, meant to get some at T and forgot as they are a good comp. Next time, maybe.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• bubbs
    • By bubbs 13th Oct 16, 4:49 PM
    • 41,595 Posts
    • 504,662 Thanks
    bubbs
    Boots Sensitive Mouthwash 500ml 20p @ boots Lincoln
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/boots-sensitive-mouthwash-500ml-20p-boots-lincoln-2527670
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    Happy now?
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 13th Oct 16, 4:50 PM
    • 41,595 Posts
    • 504,662 Thanks
    bubbs
    Is your mum up and about again Ellie ?

Poor chap bubbs
    Originally posted by emerald21
    Yes was so so sad, thn he had to go back to hospital about 3pm
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    Happy now?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

694Posts Today

5,536Users online

Martin's Twitter