Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    • 11,198Posts
    • 32,759Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread 16th Jun 16 at 8:27 PM
    Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

Please see post number 2 for all the relevant information on the thread. Savvybuyer's excellent lists are in the subsequent posts.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!
    Last edited by redfox; 16-06-2016 at 9:38 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 1367
    • wendyak
    • By wendyak 13th Oct 16, 12:39 PM
    • 2,334 Posts
    • 36,025 Thanks
    wendyak
    your situation is very difficult.

Assume that you are over 55? Have you considered taking some of your pension money as a lump sum - you can take up to 25% tax free - would there be enough to pay off the mortgage and the outstanding credit cards?

It would at least take the pressure off you so the 2 biggest worries would be sorted out and you can then work on future proofing yourself against whatever comes next.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-pension/getting-taxfree-pension-income

You need to be doing your dreams now and not waiting for retirement while you still have some health and vigour.
    Originally posted by mhoc
    I am exactly that age so if I take the lump sum I will have to work another SEVENTEEN years....If I wait it MIGHT be possible to stop in five to seven .......its all very tempting both ways but I am beginning to dislike work and some days it is difficult to get the energy to actually get there.
    My OH wants us both to go disabled but I hate labels so I don't want to travel that route just yet.
    I suppose I am living out my life quote "if in doubt do nothing " lol.
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 13th Oct 16, 12:39 PM
    • 14,300 Posts
    • 171,813 Thanks
    mhoc
    It is very much a lottery though.

OHs dad retired at 65 but he had emphysema so he was gone by 67 but OHs mum who had various life threatening illness throughout her life lived on until her mid 70s - even though she had given up smoking eventually caught up with her.
    OHs paternal grandparents both lived into their 80s

My Dad who came from the poorest of backgrounds and ended up being adopted at 3 into a farming family but he lived well into his 80s and he was well up until the last few months.

At the start of the October half term one year we went up on Saturday with the kids to see my parents, our youngest had just started high school and mum was the same as always, relishing the unexpected visit and making a big fuss of the kids.
    Sunday night she passed in her sleep and my Dad found her on the Monday morning when he brought the tea up - she had just gone with no warning at all

So you just have to live everyday as if its your last best ever day and eke out every bit of fun and enjoyment even out of the mundane ordinary everyday stuff and just get yourself ready for whatever comes next
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • wendyak
    • By wendyak 13th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    • 2,334 Posts
    • 36,025 Thanks
    wendyak
    MHOC that must have been so hard, very poignant at the mo for me as missing my dad and wondering how long we both have together.
    Thank you for sharing that it has given me food for thought xxxxxxx
    • abailey54
    • By abailey54 13th Oct 16, 12:49 PM
    • 1,464 Posts
    • 18,637 Thanks
    abailey54
    Hiya

Hope all's well with the elite?

My internet browsing time has been severely limited recently, as has my shopping time so feeling very glitch deprived - I did manage to pick up some mullers though last week so fridge is not empty

Did I miss the twine glitch? I'm sure it'll be around again soon

Hope pd got her mousey friend sorted, makes me shiver thinking about them. Definitely recommend peanut butter (smartprice of course).

When we had an infestation of them, they learned how to set the traps off and one would set it off and the rest would go feast on the goods. Then we started resetting the traps as soon as we heard them go off and managed about 4 in the space of 10 minutes from one trap. Yuck

Previously tried the humane traps and managed to catch one mouse, but over a long period of time, meanwhile the !!!!!!s were breeding
    Mission 2016 - make a dent in the debt: £1566/£7887 (19.9%)
    • HILLBERN
    • By HILLBERN 13th Oct 16, 12:49 PM
    • 1,889 Posts
    • 21,244 Thanks
    HILLBERN
    Whilst I understand what both you, mhoc mean I had an uncle who worked so hard his whole life and saved hard paying as much as he could into his pension. They were going to travel the world and do everything they had wished for their whole lives.
    He was at my daughter's christening I n the February and was cremated on my dads birthday in the may. He got a degenerative disease and that was that, his letter granting him early retirement arrived the day his family made the decision to turn off his life support machine.
    We are all going to die and none of us know when, when you have questioned your mortality it makes the here and now far more important than any unknown future. Sorry this is getting a bit heavy it wasn't my intention
    Originally posted by diluvsdiscounts
    I know exactly what you mean- I finished work in march as you all know to help my DIL + DS look after baby. It wasn't a decision I took lightly as I have several years before my state pension and I only paid in to a pension with the nhs a few years ago when it was compulsory, as when I first started my job it was only part time and we needed the money I couldn't afford to put in a pension.
    But after 30 years working on community with the elderly and palliative it puts life very much in perspective and if I think too deeply its frightening - but my awareness of life stems from earlier, my son was 10 months old and I went to work evenings at a newly opened hospital as a domestic (cleaner)..now as a domestic you went everywhere all over the hospital and saw many things which were heart wrenching, on A+E, ICU,and NICU, and taking cups of tea into grieving relatives, as well as the mandatory fire training which held me in good stead for when I could have lost my life in a house fire 16 years ago
    Oh dear Di ive done the same as you
    Anyway on a much lighter note I am doing rather well on my FROCKY....we went to London last weekend and I didn't intend to count that in our budget but that turned out much more expensive than we wanted
    On route to the Travelodge which had already been booked and paid for we stopped of at Bella Italia this was being paid for with T cc vouchers and a previously bought gift card for the drinks..The food was very good none of us had pasta or pizza but after several complaints about our order and telling the manager we were popping over to Tesco to get our dessert the bill inc drinks was £100 but we got it down to £70 but the good thing was we used cc vouchers for all the bill
    We on Saturday went to Shrek,dungeons and aquarium (tickets acquired by DS well in advance) the plan then being DH and myself to baby sit whilst the other family members went to cineworld at 02 using free tickets, and having nandos which a gift card had already been purchased (last Dec) so free evening but no everyone shattered so it was a takeaway and no cinema bang goes £40. Next day sky garden with the free tickets booked 6 weeks prior to visit- lovely views but we did succumb to buying a coffee- then sunday lunch that was another £70 for us all which we hadn't allowed for at a local pub, so what was to be a relatively cash free weekend we ended up spending money. And to top it all no bargains in Sd but we did well at wombles £15 ish
    I will check later on my budget and post here and the way I have been calculating it but my total has gone down
    Oh gosh don't I ramble??
    I'm up for frugal October....£50-£60 for 3 of us

1st 2nd Oct Current spend - £6.32......3rd Oct - £1.78 = £8.10 6th Oct £2.64 = £10.74 10th Oct£5.35 = £16.09 11thOct£6.55 =£22.64 15THOct £4.56 = £27.23 17th OCT £7.71 =£34.94 20th Oct £1.72 = £36.66
    Disaster- Budweiser+pizza deal + £6 off wys £30 in W took me over my budget
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 13th Oct 16, 1:23 PM
    • 12,919 Posts
    • 225,647 Thanks
    Snap-ant
    Good Afternoon

Another morning gone, with car tax problems, holiday lets & packing for tomorrow. Going down to Parents via IKEA where I will purchase a KIVIK sofa & extra covers
    Our Family Motto ~
    ♦ If all else fails - read the instructions ♦

• Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 13th Oct 16, 1:38 PM
    • 12,919 Posts
    • 225,647 Thanks
    Snap-ant
    Quiz
    eightieschick88 was yesterday's smartest player!

29 players played.

http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=99008

Today's Topic (Thursday): World : UK

Our Family Motto ~
    ♦ If all else fails - read the instructions ♦

• zippydooda
    • By zippydooda 13th Oct 16, 1:41 PM
    • 13,320 Posts
    • 214,798 Thanks
    zippydooda
    4 Cartons for £5.00 - Wine Gums 460g - Liquorice Allsorts 460g - Swizzles 350g - Quality Streets 265g - Celebrations 245g - Roses 187g - Heroes 185g @ Morrisons

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/4-cartons-for-5-wine-gums-460g-liquorice-allsorts-460g-swizzles-350g-quality-streets-2527386

oops i see bubbs has already posted. ah well for them what want to make the thread a lot shorter and has her on ignore
    Last edited by zippydooda; 13-10-2016 at 1:47 PM.
    It is great news about zippy. God can you imagine him as a granddad... 'If Carlsberg done Grandfathers.... he would be Zippy'.
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    baby boy 14/10/15 6lb 12oz
    • diluvsdiscounts
    • By diluvsdiscounts 13th Oct 16, 1:56 PM
    • 2,830 Posts
    • 25,127 Thanks
    diluvsdiscounts
    Hillbern I've done plenty of rambling myself this morning.....oh well it's good for the soul. I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend even if it was an expensive one.
    Just had an hour on the phone to Ellie14.............well we had alot to catch up on
    For the northerners anyone wanting a get together. I'll message you know who now and see if she feels up to testing her immune system. Everyone will have to do a self check......no sniffles allowed
    SPC9# 517 target £365. £692 SPC10 #. Target £365
    The wisdom you seek is already within you.
    • ilovetoshop
    • By ilovetoshop 13th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    • 2,684 Posts
    • 38,995 Thanks
    ilovetoshop
    Afternoon

Some thought provoking posts today

Thanks hillbilly and hammpy thought I would risk a delivery today...this was from a 10 o clock delivery but results only just through ,

Corona worked

View comparison
    View comparison
    View comparison
    View comparison
    15 items (7 different) on your receipt qualify for comparison Asda Waitrose
    1x ASDA Skimmed Milk (4 PINT) £0.95 £1.00
    1x ASDA Chosen by Kids Apples (MW550G) £0.50 N/A
    1x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Garlic (EACH) £0.30 £0.35
    0.6x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Banana (order by number of bananas or select kg) (PER KG) £0.41 N/A
    2x Kingsmill Medium White Bread (800G) £1.50 N/A
    1x Pink 'n' Whites Mallow Wafers (6 PACK) £0.50 N/A
    1x ASDA Chosen by Kids Easy Peasy Peelers (500G) £0.50 N/A
    0.6x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Carrot (order by number of carrots or select kg) (PER KG) £0.33 £0.36
    1x ASDA Grower's Selection Cucumber (EACH) £0.42 £0.45
    1x ASDA Grower's Selection Baking Potatoes (2.5KG) £1.70 £2.00
    1x ASDA Whole Milk (4PT) £0.95 £1.00
    9x Corona Extra Lager (4X330) £40.50 £15.00
    Comparison total (compared products only) £45.15 £20.16
    +£24.99 cheaper
    For your information:
    Asda Price Guarantee comparisons are based on prices correct as of date of delivery (online shoppers) or date of purchase (in store customers).
    One cannot change the past, but one can ruin the present by worrying over the future.
    • ledlights
    • By ledlights 13th Oct 16, 2:11 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 3,013 Thanks
    ledlights
    Afternoon

Thanks hillbilly and hammpy thought I would risk a delivery today...this was from a 10 o clock delivery but results only just through ,

Corona worked

View comparison
    View comparison
    View comparison
    View comparison
    0.6x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Banana (order by number of bananas or select kg) (PER KG) £0.41 N/A
    0.6x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Carrot (order by number of carrots or select kg) (PER KG) £0.33 £0.36
    +£24.99 cheaper
    For your information:
    Asda Price Guarantee comparisons are based on prices correct as of date of delivery (online shoppers) or date of purchase (in store customers).
    Originally posted by ilovetoshop
    anyone.think.it.would.work.in.scotland
    • aau1
    • By aau1 13th Oct 16, 2:16 PM
    • 18,164 Posts
    • 316,708 Thanks
    aau1
    anyone.think.it.would.work.in.scotland
    Originally posted by ledlights
    Not likely
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is the word a moorhen
    • pacifica9
    • By pacifica9 13th Oct 16, 2:29 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 26,200 Thanks
    pacifica9
    Good afternoon Elite.

Hoping everyone is warm, happy and well. Hugs to those not so.

Started a bit wet and murky-looking this morning but visiting my Mum and lunch with my best friend has turned the day around. Wishing you all such an enjoyable day, whatever your plans.
    “I count myself in nothing else so happy as in a soul remembering my good friends” William Shakespeare
    • ellie14
    • By ellie14 13th Oct 16, 2:35 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 11,772 Thanks
    ellie14
    Nellie no one has replied to my email well yet anyway May have to enquire at Wrexham or Chester. Unless anyone on here knows of train journeys that only use Northern trains.
    Originally posted by emerald21
    Hi Emerald long time no see I have been to the station and got a Northern train timetable for where I would like to go ie. York and Liverpool,I also rang call centre for N/R slightly helpful.

You and Nellie ok. ok here .
    • altojack
    • By altojack 13th Oct 16, 2:44 PM
    • 7,924 Posts
    • 109,299 Thanks
    altojack
    Dismal day here but better than yesterday

So I decided to go for yogurts yesterday + fillers = tick

2 President Brie and 1 jar of Nescaf! Original @ £4. = tick

Later in day I thought had better check apg for yogurt.

Half of the info is missing from receipt, no chance of inputting for apg. ds4 wanted to try for wine he says, well that receipt is no better

I've been to Mr A today, they can do a reprint but not today, the lady that does them doesn't work on a Thursday doh

So you can see why tiday us better, NSD day for me

Hope you've all stocked up on corona, will it keep for Christmas? Probably not, knowing how some of us Elite drink

Off to do a quick catchup while I gave the chance X
    There's no place like home
    • uglybugball
    • By uglybugball 13th Oct 16, 2:48 PM
    • 930 Posts
    • 14,125 Thanks
    uglybugball
    Is the apg website working for anyone else.
    Trying to check a shop done at 11.30 and keep getting this message

We've searched high and low, and we can't find the details of your shop.
    Make sure you've waited 3 hours after shopping to compare. If you have done, double check you entered them correctly and try again.
    Eta same with a shop done at 11.38.
    • nanx4
    • By nanx4 13th Oct 16, 3:09 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 1,417 Thanks
    nanx4
    Is the apg website working for anyone else.
    Trying to check a shop done at 11.30 and keep getting this message

We've searched high and low, and we can't find the details of your shop.
    Make sure you've waited 3 hours after shopping to compare. If you have done, double check you entered them correctly and try again.
    Eta same with a shop done at 11.38.
    Originally posted by uglybugball
    Yes same for me ,shop done at 11
    • mrsmac10
    • By mrsmac10 13th Oct 16, 3:38 PM
    • 3,104 Posts
    • 41,114 Thanks
    mrsmac10
    Afternoon

Corona worked

View comparison
    View comparison
    View comparison
    View comparison
    +£24.99 cheaper
    For your information:
    Originally posted by ilovetoshop

Fab shop well done Don't think it would work here as its on a multi buy which we are not allowed

Edit see other "northerers" have already posted
    Loved the Frocky challenge I will do this again in the New Year
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 13th Oct 16, 3:40 PM
    • 41,615 Posts
    • 504,866 Thanks
    bubbs
    4 Cartons for £5.00 - Wine Gums 460g - Liquorice Allsorts 460g - Swizzles 350g - Quality Streets 265g - Celebrations 245g - Roses 187g - Heroes 185g @ Morrisons

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/4-cartons-for-5-wine-gums-460g-liquorice-allsorts-460g-swizzles-350g-quality-streets-2527386

oops i see bubbs has already posted. ah well for them what want to make the thread a lot shorter and has her on ignore
    Originally posted by zippydooda
    Cheeky
    Wa funny just met a friend and she makes chocolate and sweet hampers and needed alot, they are cheaper than wholesalers
    So she had 8, i had 8, her son had 8 you are only allowed 8 each but she needed more, the SA was flitting about and i said look at her watching us. Anyway son went and got another 8
    She tells supervisor , supervisor said too late now as you let them through
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    FOR ALL YOU MOANERS , LOOSE GRAPES, MUSHROOM DOES NOT COUNT ON APG DO NOT BUY AS FILLER
    Happy now?
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 13th Oct 16, 3:42 PM
    • 8,016 Posts
    • 47,751 Thanks
    LEJC
    I have at last been invited back to an orchard campaign...the first since the disastrous christmas one.....

something about wonky veg...and chicken that is portioned to eat one and freeze....

Think this was what everyone else got offered last week...the most exciting bit of it I think is the 200 cc points....
    participating in frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    November spend £41.01 of £40
    Am I brave enough to track what we spend on Dec/Christmas food.....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,754Posts Today

7,833Users online

Martin's Twitter