Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    • 11,199Posts
    • 32,759Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread 16th Jun 16 at 8:27 PM
    Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

Please see post number 2 for all the relevant information on the thread. Savvybuyer's excellent lists are in the subsequent posts.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!
    Last edited by redfox; 16-06-2016 at 9:38 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 1366
    • zippydooda
    • By zippydooda 13th Oct 16, 11:08 AM
    • 13,321 Posts
    • 214,808 Thanks
    zippydooda
    Perhaps I am being over sensitive but I am really uncomfortable with that quote.
    Originally posted by tbw
    take it for what it means in english.
    as you know anyway

work sets you free.
    It is great news about zippy. God can you imagine him as a granddad... 'If Carlsberg done Grandfathers.... he would be Zippy'.
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    baby boy 14/10/15 6lb 12oz
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 13th Oct 16, 11:10 AM
    • 14,314 Posts
    • 171,903 Thanks
    mhoc
    I think the other thing about the October challenge is that it is making us remember the endless years in our lives when money was very tight and we were going from one wage packet to the next - and this is not a negative thing, we should be really grateful and thankful that finally things are a lot better than they were and we are out of the long dark tunnel.

I am in the midst of a very big sort out but I've kept my old budget sheets so I never get complacent and forget - every penny was gone the day after payday and we lived on the overdraft. Thankfully Mr Tosser was very kind to us and MOCs paid for about 3/4 of the food bill so there was always food in the house.

I think I would also be very tempted by £3 coffee and cake especially as you are supporting a local business and spending your money in your area and not giving it to a global firm.

I think you just have to build some Fun Money into the budget say maybe £10
    - then there is enough for the occasional splurge with no feelings of regret or misery - coffee and cake once a month, a bag of chips from the chip shop on the way home, a Lindt bar of chocolate to have with a soppy film on a wet cold night, a sausage roll from Greggs ...
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • Wheres My Cashback
    • By Wheres My Cashback 13th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 31,839 Thanks
    Wheres My Cashback
    Perhaps I am being over sensitive but I am really uncomfortable with that quote.
    Originally posted by tbw
    Context.....
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 13th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    • 8,020 Posts
    • 47,776 Thanks
    LEJC
    Plenty of bleach should do the trick LEJC...In a bucket with a broom...
    Originally posted by marmitelovemehateme
    Thanks for that marmite....and then after it's still plenty of bleach and even a nail brush to get into all the nooks and crannies....this ***** gets everywhere!!!!!!
    participating in frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    November spend £41.01 of £40
    Am I brave enough to track what we spend on Dec/Christmas food.....
    • Wheres My Cashback
    • By Wheres My Cashback 13th Oct 16, 11:16 AM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 31,839 Thanks
    Wheres My Cashback
    Guess who's back....anyone noticed
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 13th Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    • 14,314 Posts
    • 171,903 Thanks
    mhoc
    How did you know I bought 3 dysons at £300 a pop each....???
    my excuse at the time was they were for the rentals.......

get your daughter to write regarding the issues that are still outstanding from check in and ask for a time frame to resolve....its better writing than just mentioning it in passing as it makes them have to acknowledge your query because of a paper trail.....be persistent its what she pays her rent for....although at this stage she does need to pay rather than with hold any to rectify the issues.
    Originally posted by LEJC
    Eldest son and his GF had endless moving in issues with their flat, finally moved in 2 days after the original move in date only to find that it had not been professionally cleaned - ie unclean look, dirty work surfaces, dirty oven etc

So they reported all of the issues online again.

On Sunday afternoon we had been there for the day and we came back from town to find the cleaners had arrived - ie 4 days after moving in day. The cleaners did not know the flat was already occupied and the agency had not emailed to say the cleaners were arriving on Sunday afternoon.
    The cleaners were very nice and asked GF what she wanted doing in particular - she said bathroom, oven etc and they said they would also deal with the dust on the very high ceilings
    So the cleaners were in for 3 hours that Sunday afternoon - and still the oven wasn't cleaned

The previous tenant left a bin bag which contained dirty and soiled bedding and instead of this being disposed of it was listed on the inventory
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 13th Oct 16, 11:19 AM
    • 14,314 Posts
    • 171,903 Thanks
    mhoc
    Originally posted by Wheres My Cashback
    Father Christmas?
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 13th Oct 16, 11:24 AM
    • 8,020 Posts
    • 47,776 Thanks
    LEJC

I think I would also be very tempted by £3 coffee and cake especially as you are supporting a local business and spending your money in your area and not giving it to a global firm.

I think you just have to build some Fun Money into the budget say maybe £10
    - then there is enough for the occasional splurge with no feelings of regret or misery - coffee and cake once a month, a bag of chips from the chip shop on the way home, a Lindt bar of chocolate to have with a soppy film on a wet cold night, a sausage roll from Greggs ...
    Originally posted by mhoc
    I totally get this....

the other night on one of my thinking sessions I did think how things change at various life stages and I am content at the moment financially...there have been hard times and there have been better times but right now I think that we are moving into a period of being able to live well and enjoy without too much financial strain...
    However we are not getting younger and there are fewer working years ahead than have gone so it did make me think about the need to future proof the years that we will hopefully enjoy and pensions and the deals for the more maturing people in society are not great and going forward into the next 10 -20 years may prove a harder transition than I would like.....its incredibly obvious that when we retire we will not have the standard of living we now enjoy and very tentatively I may subconsciously be starting to plan ahead rather than living for the moment and having to survive on something far less than we have been used to....

deep thinking for a Thursday morning....but maybe a change of shift in priorities might be occurring in our household in order to maximise the ability to obtain something better in later years...god willing.
    Last edited by LEJC; 13-10-2016 at 11:26 AM.
    participating in frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 13th Oct 16, 11:30 AM
    • 8,020 Posts
    • 47,776 Thanks
    LEJC
    Eldest son and his GF had endless moving in issues with their flat, finally moved in 2 days after the original move in date only to find that it had not been professionally cleaned - ie unclean look, dirty work surfaces, dirty oven etc

So they reported all of the issues online again.

On Sunday afternoon we had been there for the day and we came back from town to find the cleaners had arrived - ie 4 days after moving in day. The cleaners did not know the flat was already occupied and the agency had not emailed to say the cleaners were arriving on Sunday afternoon.
    The cleaners were very nice and asked GF what she wanted doing in particular - she said bathroom, oven etc and they said they would also deal with the dust on the very high ceilings
    So the cleaners were in for 3 hours that Sunday afternoon - and still the oven wasn't cleaned

The previous tenant left a bin bag which contained dirty and soiled bedding and instead of this being disposed of it was listed on the inventory
    I think everyone has at least one horror story and TBH the subject of cleanliness is a subjective one whereby everyones standard is different.

As it stands at the moment with the rental we are sorting out I wouldn't even let anyone view it with a possibility of taking a rental on let alone expect anyone to move into it....
    • diluvsdiscounts
    • By diluvsdiscounts 13th Oct 16, 11:30 AM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 25,144 Thanks
    diluvsdiscounts
    How did you know I bought 3 dysons at £300 a pop each....???
    my excuse at the time was they were for the rentals.......

get your daughter to write regarding the issues that are still outstanding from check in and ask for a time frame to resolve....its better writing than just mentioning it in passing as it makes them have to acknowledge your query because of a paper trail.....be persistent its what she pays her rent for....although at this stage she does need to pay rather than with hold any to rectify the issues.
    It was the first thing that popped into my head , smilies are back.

Yes she is still paying full rent I just meant that she will expect her money even though she hasn't done what she promised. It's a good idea writing to them I hadn't thought of that one, thank you.

Mhoc I totally agree with you, we were broke but we were happy and we often talk about it and are always grateful that things improved. I'm trying to remind myself that I have to be cruel to be kind with Dd because I don't want them to struggle the way we did but at some point she has to go it alone. We will never see them without food but they have to get used to budgeting for themselves.
    SPC9# 517 target £365. £692 SPC10 #. Target £365
    The wisdom you seek is already within you.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 13th Oct 16, 11:32 AM
    • 8,020 Posts
    • 47,776 Thanks
    LEJC
    Originally posted by Wheres My Cashback
    Who...have I missed something or just being terribly naive ?
    • diluvsdiscounts
    • By diluvsdiscounts 13th Oct 16, 11:34 AM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 25,144 Thanks
    diluvsdiscounts
    Who...have I missed something or just being terribly naive ?
    I know what they mean just not who they mean I can think of a few idiots it could be
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 13th Oct 16, 11:42 AM
    • 14,314 Posts
    • 171,903 Thanks
    mhoc
    Possibly the theme this month - time for change and renewal and deep thinking and re evaluating our needs and our priorities

I know the stage we are at is very transitory, the calm before the next storm. OHs health is not perfect but he keeps doing the Duracell bunny and keeps plodding onwards as he says these are his best earnings years so he is not giving that up without a fight. He says he will see what happens after the next big work upheaval but they wont make him redundant because it would cost them too much
    He says he would go part time in a few years but I think he would be bored rigid at home - this is the problem when you have worked solidly since you were 16, how to adjust to the next phase of your life.
    And also how does anyone cope with a big drop in income, even with savings to cover the shortfall, its a lot to get your head around?
    When I do the sums I only count the possible ammounts that OHs 2 pensions would give but not the state pension - I expect the state pension age to rise yet again to even closer to 70 so I don't factor that in.
    • wendyak
    • By wendyak 13th Oct 16, 11:49 AM
    • 2,338 Posts
    • 36,061 Thanks
    wendyak
    Possibly the theme this month - time for change and renewal and deep thinking and re evaluating our needs and our priorities

I know the stage we are at is very transitory, the calm before the next storm. OHs health is not perfect but he keeps doing the Duracell bunny and keeps plodding onwards as he says these are his best earnings years so he is not giving that up without a fight. He says he will see what happens after the next big work upheaval but they wont make him redundant because it would cost them too much
    He says he would go part time in a few years but I think he would be bored rigid at home - this is the problem when you have worked solidly since you were 16, how to adjust to the next phase of your life.
    And also how does anyone cope with a big drop in income, even with savings to cover the shortfall, its a lot to get your head around?
    When I do the sums I only count the possible ammounts that OHs 2 pensions would give but not the state pension - I expect the state pension age to rise yet again to even closer to 70 so I don't factor that in.
    I so relate to this as we are in a similar position.
    I was hoping for v early retirement but in reality I should be going full time and OH is getting weaker so his earning capacity is getting less.
    I am without savings but have two pensions, both of which are good payers if you leave them alone but not so good if you pull any money out, plus my early retirement dream will be dead and buried if I do
    I am trying to pay off the last bit of mortgage asap and the cards too but it is a bit of a task on a low wage.
    I wish I could have been in the position my parents were in at my age
    • diluvsdiscounts
    • By diluvsdiscounts 13th Oct 16, 12:01 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 25,144 Thanks
    diluvsdiscounts
    I was hoping for v early retirement but in reality I should be going full time and OH is getting weaker so his earning capacity is getting less.
    I am without savings but have two pensions, both of which are good payers if you leave them alone but not so good if you pull any money out, plus my early retirement dream will be dead and buried if I do
    I am trying to pay off the last bit of mortgage asap and the cards too but it is a bit of a task on a low wage.
    Originally posted by wendyak
    Whilst I understand what both you, mhoc mean I had an uncle who worked so hard his whole life and saved hard paying as much as he could into his pension. They were going to travel the world and do everything they had wished for their whole lives.
    He was at my daughter's christening I n the February and was cremated on my dads birthday in the may. He got a degenerative disease and that was that, his letter granting him early retirement arrived the day his family made the decision to turn off his life support machine.
    We are all going to die and none of us know when, when you have questioned your mortality it makes the here and now far more important than any unknown future. Sorry this is getting a bit heavy it wasn't my intention
    • wendyak
    • By wendyak 13th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    • 2,338 Posts
    • 36,061 Thanks
    wendyak
    Whilst I understand what both you, mhoc mean I had an uncle who worked so hard his whole life and saved hard paying as much as he could into his pension. They were going to travel the world and do everything they had wished for their whole lives.
    He was at my daughter's christening I n the February and was cremated on my dads birthday in the may. He got a degenerative disease and that was that, his letter granting him early retirement arrived the day his family made the decision to turn off his life support machine.
    We are all going to die and none of us know when, when you have questioned your mortality it makes the here and now far more important than any unknown future. Sorry this is getting a bit heavy it wasn't my intention
    Originally posted by diluvsdiscounts
    No, you're spot on.
    That's why I still have my Spanuish house despite my poverty and am scraping together the money for a base to be made for the small pool I have just bought, lol .
    It's all about doing it now as both of us might not be able in just a few years......
    • diluvsdiscounts
    • By diluvsdiscounts 13th Oct 16, 12:09 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 25,144 Thanks
    diluvsdiscounts
    No, you're spot on.
    That's why I still have my Spanuish house despite my poverty and am scraping together the money for a base to be made for the small pool I have just bought, lol .
    It's all about doing it now as both of us might not be able in just a few years......
    Exactly
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 13th Oct 16, 12:12 PM
    • 14,314 Posts
    • 171,903 Thanks
    mhoc
    your situation is very difficult.

Assume that you are over 55? Have you considered taking some of your pension money as a lump sum - you can take up to 25% tax free - would there be enough to pay off the mortgage and the outstanding credit cards?

It would at least take the pressure off you so the 2 biggest worries would be sorted out and you can then work on future proofing yourself against whatever comes next.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-pension/getting-taxfree-pension-income

You need to be doing your dreams now and not waiting for retirement while you still have some health and vigour.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 13th Oct 16, 12:16 PM
    • 8,020 Posts
    • 47,776 Thanks
    LEJC
    I think I have a "spread betting " attitude to life...no one knows what path anyone will take but hopefully we can live life to the full for as long as we can.

My dad died 4 months after retirement age,but had been fortunate to retire early and do the things he and my mum wanted in the 5 years leading to the unexpected end...
    My brother passed away 7 years before retirement and never got anywhere close to the things he had wanted to do..

Life is a lottery and what you make it....whichever way you treat it it should be to get the best out of it for you.

no rules and no regrets.

It doesn't stop me pondering financial management in retirement though.
    Last edited by LEJC; 13-10-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 13th Oct 16, 12:24 PM
    • 14,314 Posts
    • 171,903 Thanks
    mhoc
    Originally posted by diluvsdiscounts
    Exactly - this is why we are pushing forward with getting the house renovated and ready incase the time comes earlier than we think when we do have to move.
    And we are taking the nice holidays now - doing 2 or 3 a year and not waiting for retirement - we put everything into the kids but now that they are all flown it is out time to shine

The thing is with retirement you have an extra 40 hours a week to fill so its a case of planning what to do with those hours. My OH is obsessed with lawn mowing and he has a train lay out in the loft he goes and works on for an hour or two and he has his books and films but its all not quite enough to fill the gap.
    He says he would be happy enough to get a job in B & Q after retirement but I think dealing with the general public would drive him bats - he dreads having to deal with them as it is now
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,374Posts Today

6,911Users online

Martin's Twitter