Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    • 11,176Posts
    • 32,691Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread 16th Jun 16 at 8:27 PM
    Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

Please see post number 2 for all the relevant information on the thread. Savvybuyer's excellent lists are in the subsequent posts.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!
    Last edited by redfox; 16-06-2016 at 9:38 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 1364
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 13th Oct 16, 8:13 AM
    • 16,463 Posts
    • 177,993 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    This is the thing, you do not realise how much stuff you have
    Originally posted by bubbs
    But it's just a one bedroom house!!!

One advantage, we have a spare freezer until they get a place

Made me think, if we ever move there is no way we could possibly do it ourselves, it would be an absolute nightmare
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 13th Oct 16, 8:15 AM
    • 41,348 Posts
    • 502,352 Thanks
    bubbs
    LIDL DEALS 13-19th October Carrots 1kg 29p, Parsnips 500g 29p, Red Onions 750g, Cherry Tomatoes 250g, Gammon Steaks £1.29, Pork Sausages 454g 99p |||||| 20-26th October Pumpkin 79p, Lemons 79p, 2 Toffee Apples 79p, Bobbing Apples 79p
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lidl-deals-13-19th-october-carrots-1kg-29p-parsnips-500g-29p-red-onions-750g-cherry-2527358
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    FOR ALL YOU MOANERS , LOOSE GRAPES, MUSHROOM DOES NOT COUNT ON APG DO NOT BUY AS FILLER
    Happy now?
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 13th Oct 16, 8:16 AM
    • 41,348 Posts
    • 502,352 Thanks
    bubbs
    But it's just a one bedroom house!!!

One advantage, we have a spare freezer until they get a place

Made me think, if we ever move there is no way we could possibly do it ourselves, it would be an absolute nightmare
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    When we moved here , we didnt bring any furniture as didnt need it but the stuff i got rid of was
    We had been at the house 20 + years
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    FOR ALL YOU MOANERS , LOOSE GRAPES, MUSHROOM DOES NOT COUNT ON APG DO NOT BUY AS FILLER
    Happy now?
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 13th Oct 16, 8:19 AM
    • 28,011 Posts
    • 395,292 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    M & S

£5 off women's cardigans

£5 off women's boots and shoes
    Originally posted by Serendipitious
    Thanks seren, but no time for a fiddle

Hope today passes ok for you bubbs....thinking about his poor son and how he will cope with it all
    I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarian and we're sceptical.
    Arthur C Clarke.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 13th Oct 16, 8:21 AM
    • 16,463 Posts
    • 177,993 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    When we moved here , we didnt bring any furniture as didnt need it but the stuff i got rid of was
    We had been at the house 20 + years
    They both worked at Bensons for a while, so they were quite fussy about their bed. They got a big corner sofa from DFS that only just fit in the lounge. They are both round his dad's, but they are insisting on taking their mattress.

I have decided I am going to try to get rid of what we don't need. Easier said than done, but can do it gradually.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 13th Oct 16, 8:22 AM
    • 41,348 Posts
    • 502,352 Thanks
    bubbs
    Thanks seren, but no time for a fiddle

Hope today passes ok for you bubbs....thinking about his poor son and how he will cope with it all
    Originally posted by TrulyMadly
    Thanks , he said when i went to see him tues didnt think he would go before me and i still cant believe it
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    Happy now?
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 13th Oct 16, 8:24 AM
    • 41,348 Posts
    • 502,352 Thanks
    bubbs
    They both worked at Bensons for a while, so they were quite fussy about their bed. They got a big corner sofa from DFS that only just fit in the lounge. They are both round his dad's, but they are insisting on taking their mattress.

I have decided I am going to try to get rid of what we don't need. Easier said than done, but can do it gradually.
    mattress will take alot of space.
    You ought to see the stuff my sister has to sort through does open your eyes thats for sure, but just so upsetting in the circumstances
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    Happy now?
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 13th Oct 16, 8:26 AM
    • 16,463 Posts
    • 177,993 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    mattress will take alot of space.
    You ought to see the stuff my sister has to sort through does open your eyes thats for sure, but just so upsetting in the circumstances
    Know what you mean, my father wouldn't sort my mums stuff for sooo long. And then he expected me to wear her bras. Apart from anything else I am bigger than she ever was!
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 13th Oct 16, 8:30 AM
    • 41,348 Posts
    • 502,352 Thanks
    bubbs
    Know what you mean, my father wouldn't sort my mums stuff for sooo long. And then he expected me to wear her bras. Apart from anything else I am bigger than she ever was!
    She has started in the shed but its a brick built shed with a loft and there are as many tools as halfords have
    We booted a few bits but its the sorting, we went and helped a few times, but she said going to do spare bedroom and inside in the winter months
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    Happy now?
    • underperky
    • By underperky 13th Oct 16, 8:32 AM
    • 4,697 Posts
    • 58,989 Thanks
    underperky
    Good morning ...hope the day goes as well as it can Bubbs
    • tweets
    • By tweets 13th Oct 16, 8:33 AM
    • 26,196 Posts
    • 387,933 Thanks
    tweets
    Good Morning

bubbs (((X)))
    Lost 3st-4lb
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 13th Oct 16, 8:34 AM
    • 41,348 Posts
    • 502,352 Thanks
    bubbs
    Good morning ...hope the day goes as well as it can Bubbs
    Originally posted by underperky
    Good Morning

bubbs (((X)))
    Originally posted by tweets
    Thanks both x
    Right going to empty the junk out the car incase anyone needs a lift
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    Happy now?
    • tweets
    • By tweets 13th Oct 16, 8:34 AM
    • 26,196 Posts
    • 387,933 Thanks
    tweets
    https://www.yeovalley.co.uk/things-to-do/fruit-machine

https://www.dorsetcereals.co.uk/collect-and-win/spin-to-win/

https://www.belvoirfruitfarms.co.uk/win-things/bagatelle/

http://www.jenningsbrewery.co.uk/competitions/ftw/

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/webquiz/

Good Luck
    Lost 3st-4lb
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 13th Oct 16, 8:52 AM
    • 16,463 Posts
    • 177,993 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Hope things go reasonably well today bubbs.

Personally I think people in New Orleans have the best idea for funerals!

Me, I would prefer to be just buried somewhere quietly, no funeral, people can remember me alive and kicking. I don't think that is what will happen though. I know it sounds awful, but to me the body is just a shell, it is not who we are. The essence of us will always be around.
    • marmitelovemehateme
    • By marmitelovemehateme 13th Oct 16, 9:20 AM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 17,231 Thanks
    marmitelovemehateme
    Morning peeps....Well, had a deluge this morning with thunder, lightning and now a rainbow...but, its a beautiful day...Have a good one everyone...
    OMG, I'm rich! Silver in the hair, Gold in the teeff, Crystals in the Kidney, Sugar in the blood, Lead in the butt, Iron in the arteries and an inexhaustible supply of natural gas! I never thought I would accumulate such wealth!!
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 13th Oct 16, 9:40 AM
    • 8,006 Posts
    • 47,625 Thanks
    LEJC
    Good morning all...

It's been really interesting reading everyones updates on being frugal and the october challenge.
    I for one didnt realise just how many little things I buy probably just because they are on offer or seem a good deal.
    It's also interesting reading everyone else's experiences and seeing how now we are almost half way through how much others may have thought they were likely to spend and have gone over or are heading in that direction...me included.
    I suspect a lot of us have faced a dilemma about something during the time and have each resolved it in the way we saw fit...mine so far has been the using of vouchers for a meal out...but could so easily have been the same as Tiny and perhaps not including a wine purchase!
    It's so easily done to step off the challenge when we can in our own way justify the reason....but for the purposes of the challenge we did set our own rules and what I do admire is the way that so many are having a go and those that are not are at least supporting and perhaps thinking of the deeper message behind how each shop.....as mhoc said yesterday everyone has their own perceptions and it's easy to judge someone by your own standards to decide what is frugal or not...but at the end of the day its about having what you want at a price you can afford and being comfortable with it.

What I am finding difficult is the being spontaneous with purchases and even I am missing the odd take away coffee or impromptu meal out "just because".
    It is difficult living to a budget and I find that things need regimental planning and is taking up more time than I would really like it to.

I will be glad when the challenge is over,but there are elements that I will adjust into everyday life going forward and I think it has made me realise that living on a very tight budget is not fun,its restricting at times and I would go as far as to say if done long term has the potential to isolate you from people purely because to go out for a coffee and cake costing £2.50 could present the choice of eating or not going forward in the week.

Today I do need to shop,but it will be for basics and hopefully at A where I can use a couple of small wombles.
    participating in frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    November spend £41.01 of £40
    Am I brave enough to track what we spend on Dec/Christmas food.....
    • locarr
    • By locarr 13th Oct 16, 10:12 AM
    • 7,290 Posts
    • 133,146 Thanks
    locarr
    Evening all, nice whoopsy shop in T express tonight about £35 worth for just over £4, could have got loads more...shame they don't do trolleys in express!
    Originally posted by locarr
    with pics....Morning ALL!

"I've never looked at myself and said that I need to be a certain way to be around a certain sort of people. I've always wanted to stay true to myself, and I've managed to do that. People have to accept that."
    Jay-Z

bilge© copyright all rights reserved
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 13th Oct 16, 10:13 AM
    • 14,244 Posts
    • 171,221 Thanks
    mhoc
    I am imagining the coffee cup queue at customer service with everyone also carrying a single banana, onion or carrot as their qualifying purchase to get their free coffees

Free hot drink

1. From the 10 October myWaitrose members who wish to enjoy a medium free tea or coffee from one of our coffee machines in the following branches,Clifton, Leigh-on-Sea, Southend, Bury St Edmunds, Norwich and Swaffham, will need to make a purchase in branch prior to qualifying for a free hot drink. Restrictions apply please see clause 6. Exclusions apply see clause 12.

2. From the 19 September myWaitrose members who wish to enjoy a medium free tea or coffee from one of our coffee machines in the following branches, Mountsorrel and Billericay, will need to make a purchase in branch prior to qualifying for a free hot drink. Restrictions apply please see clause 6. Exclusions apply see clause 12.

3. From the 07 September 2016 myWaitrose members who wish to enjoy a medium free tea or coffee in Hazelmere, Battersea, Bagshot Road, Roehampton, Burgh Heath, Burnt Common, Petts Wood, Sceptre, Ealing, Horley, Ken Gardens, Broxbourne, Tubs Hill, Headington, Guildford, will need to make a minimum of £30 spend on fuel. Exclusions apply see clause 12.

4. Offer available to all myWaitrose members on presentation of a myWaitrose card in store. Cardholder must be present.

5. myWaitrose members who wish to enjoy a free tea or coffee in one of our Caf!s, Bakery counters with seating areas and Deli counters with seating areas will need to make a purchase in the caf! or bakery prior to qualifying for a free hot drink.

6. One per myWaitrose member per day.

7. Only Americano, Cappuccino, Latte, Tea, Mocha and Espresso (Decaffeinated versions, Mocha and Espresso available in selected stores only) qualify as a free hot drink.

8. Selected stores only, excludes online, petrol filling stations, Shell and Welcome Break.

9. Subject to availability.

10. Cannot be used in conjunction with other caf! or hot drink offers.

11. At any till the myWaitrose card must be scanned to activate the offer. Quickpay customers must scan their myWaitrose card at any point during their shop.

12. ‘Excluded Items’, infant formula, single use carrier bags, tobacco, stamps, mobile top ups, e-Top up vouchers, lottery tickets, gift vouchers, cash back, car park charges, fuel and delivery charges.
    Originally posted by zippydooda
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • aallank
    • By aallank 13th Oct 16, 10:14 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 19,501 Thanks
    aallank
    Good morning all

I just wondered if anyone thinks that the corona ex will still compare AvsW this morn as the price is still on mys? (or does that not count as its not showing on W website now?)

Tia
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 13th Oct 16, 10:14 AM
    • 12,959 Posts
    • 163,826 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Bless your dad.

Can you imagine people trying to sort our stashes out

Hope today goes well for everyone esp. Bubbs and enterprise. X
    Frugal November £100 for 4 adults (one of which has a huge appetite!) fingers crossed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

48Posts Today

4,284Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin