Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    • 11,193Posts
    • 32,720Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread 16th Jun 16 at 8:27 PM
    Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

Please see post number 2 for all the relevant information on the thread. Savvybuyer's excellent lists are in the subsequent posts.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!
    Last edited by redfox; 16-06-2016 at 9:38 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 1357
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Oct 16, 8:35 PM
    • 12,992 Posts
    • 164,234 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    I didn't include petrol SSM, I knew that wouldn't be possible. Shows how naïve I was thinking £100 would last a month.

Trouble is this way of shopping was sort of like a job to me while I was caring, I could fit it in around everything else, but then it sort of became like an obsession getting the bargains in.

Last year or so have been weaning myself off but sometimes so hard to resist...

I have started to look for a job but I'm so scared, I really don't know what I could do anymore. It is a bit of sore point between me and Mr TS at the moment.
    Originally posted by Tinyshoes
    What type of work do you want to do?
    Frugal November £100 for 4 adults (one of which has a huge appetite!) fingers crossed.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    • 41,595 Posts
    • 504,692 Thanks
    bubbs
    Hi Bubbs, His dad 'may' have rejected care in the past thinking he could/should look after his son. The hospital should now assess and involve adult social care. He could possibly remain in his own home with care and perhaps some living skills training.
    Originally posted by pippo
    Hello
    His dad asked for care, asked for it to be sorted for the last7 years i have been going there and was told when something happens to you it will be sorted
    What im saying is yes he wants to stay in his home but they were going to send him home last week with a half baked idea of care
    He wouldnt be able to cook etc as cant carry , stand without his rollator (sp), he cant even wash his own hair, he would never manage without someone there
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    FOR ALL YOU MOANERS , LOOSE GRAPES, MUSHROOM DOES NOT COUNT ON APG DO NOT BUY AS FILLER
    Happy now?
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 12th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    • 26,048 Posts
    • 361,667 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Come and do .com shopping at T with me. I start at 6am and am usually home by 10am....
    Originally posted by marrbett
    6am that is still the middle of the night to me. I would never get there on time.

I know I am making excuses....
    I'M A FROCKY
    Total spend for Frugal October £201.75/£100 for 3 of us. Wine glitch and M&S sale my downfall.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    • 12,992 Posts
    • 164,234 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Hello
    His dad asked for care, asked for it to be sorted for the last7 years i have been going there and was told when something happens to you it will be sorted
    What im saying is yes he wants to stay in his home but they were going to send him home last week with a half baked idea of care
    He wouldnt be able to cook etc as cant carry , stand without his rollator (sp), he cant even wash his own hair, he would never manage without someone there
    Originally posted by bubbs
    The threshold for people being able to live on their own is rather to the average person.

When it comes to entering residential care, this is often based on the cost effectiveness of service provision.

(I have to admit I have not worked in this sector for many years).
    Frugal November £100 for 4 adults (one of which has a huge appetite!) fingers crossed.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Oct 16, 8:48 PM
    • 41,595 Posts
    • 504,692 Thanks
    bubbs
    The threshold for people being able to live on their own is rather to the average person.

When it comes to entering residential care, this is often based on the cost effectiveness of service provision.

(I have to admit I have not worked in this sector for many years).
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    He would have to pay for it what ever as has too much money
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    FOR ALL YOU MOANERS , LOOSE GRAPES, MUSHROOM DOES NOT COUNT ON APG DO NOT BUY AS FILLER
    Happy now?
    • marrbett
    • By marrbett 12th Oct 16, 8:48 PM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 23,955 Thanks
    marrbett
    6am that is still the middle of the night to me. I would never get there on time.

I know I am making excuses....

I know. When my alarm goes off at 5.05am I do NOT like it!!
    But, I only do 3 days a week and bring home around £300 every 4 weeks, which has proved to be a lifeline for us!!

Its amazing what you get used to.xx
    • Anon
    • By Anon 12th Oct 16, 8:49 PM
    • 10,604 Posts
    • 117,374 Thanks
    Anon
    Brace yourselves, on Sky news T are apparently running low on UniL products in some stores due to a row over UniL trying to bump up prices by 10% on some key brands.

It is a good job I have a stash of various items to ride out the storm .

Anon
    • matty17r
    • By matty17r 12th Oct 16, 8:51 PM
    • 1,015 Posts
    • 6,985 Thanks
    matty17r
    Love all the stories about other people wasting their money! Depressing all these banks dropping their interest rates. However, I did read last week on one of the online papers that the government is going to bring back some sort of bond to help savers. This is going to be announced at the end of november - so a little hope there.
    Went to westwood cross shopping centre in thanet today so many shops there couldn't get them all done. Not many bargains. Read on another forum that arm and hammer toothepaste is great for senstive teeth so got some of that 125ml in poundworld which is much cheaper than all the other top brands. Also abact hand gel 237ml which I will decant into smaller bottles for holidays/picnic bag. SA in tesco said she could only accept 5 hipp coupons but then noticed she had scanned so let me have it this time! nice overage of £1.98 by just sticking to 100pc fruit ones. Lots of clearance bargains in this tesco on a large cage down first aisle for an other eliters reading (come back the eliter from this way) used to love your posts but cant remember your name!
    Am also have a big declutter and having a bootfair on sunday weather permitting. Cannot get the timing right for whoopsies at Asda so am very jealous of trulymadly's 10p items.
    Last edited by matty17r; 12-10-2016 at 8:56 PM.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Oct 16, 8:52 PM
    • 12,992 Posts
    • 164,234 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    He would have to pay for it what ever as has too much money
    I am strange person, as I think that if you can afford you should pay for your care.

He will be able to pick the best care provision, which will have nothing/very little to do with adult services... provision of services was privatised years ago.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Oct 16, 8:54 PM
    • 12,992 Posts
    • 164,234 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    I know. When my alarm goes off at 5.05am I do NOT like it!!
    But, I only do 3 days a week and bring home around £300 every 4 weeks, which has proved to be a lifeline for us!!

Its amazing what you get used to.xx
    I think the routine of work can be beneficial.

I am lost when I am not at work, and start to thinking about cleaning and then realise how silly I am and go to work!
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Oct 16, 8:56 PM
    • 41,595 Posts
    • 504,692 Thanks
    bubbs
    I am strange person, as I think that if you can afford you should pay for your care.

He will be able to pick the best care provision, which will have nothing/very little to do with adult services... provision of services was privatised years ago.
    Yes he knows he will have to pay, this is the thing he does not have the ability to sort it out
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    Happy now?
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Oct 16, 8:56 PM
    • 12,992 Posts
    • 164,234 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Brace yourselves, on Sky news T are apparently running low on UniL products in some stores due to a row over UniL trying to bump up prices by 10% on some key brands.

It is a good job I have a stash of various items to ride out the storm .

Anon
    Originally posted by Anon
    You had the same thoughts as me. I think unless unilever are free we should avoid them for a while... the cheeky sausages..10% is a flipping lot.
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 12th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 26,048 Posts
    • 361,667 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    What type of work do you want to do?
    Honest answer I have no idea. I only want a few hours a week though.
    I'M A FROCKY
    Total spend for Frugal October £201.75/£100 for 3 of us. Wine glitch and M&S sale my downfall.
    • HILLBERN
    • By HILLBERN 12th Oct 16, 8:58 PM
    • 1,887 Posts
    • 21,211 Thanks
    HILLBERN
    I have never had spam

Thats why i didnt do challenge

Thanks but its tomorrow
    Oh dearim sorry..
    I'm up for frugal October....£50-£60 for 3 of us

1st 2nd Oct Current spend - £6.32......3rd Oct - £1.78 = £8.10 6th Oct £2.64 = £10.74 10th Oct£5.35 = £16.09 11thOct£6.55 =£22.64 15THOct £4.56 = £27.23 17th OCT £7.71 =£34.94 20th Oct £1.72 = £36.66
    Disaster- Budweiser+pizza deal + £6 off wys £30 in W took me over my budget
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Oct 16, 9:00 PM
    • 12,992 Posts
    • 164,234 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Yes he knows he will have to pay, this is the thing he does not have the ability to sort it out

Is there no one to help him?

If there isn't, there used to be some provision to help/run these package of support, I am assuming that there is similar provision.

It does raise the importance of planning, and having things like power of attorney in place before you need it x
    • marrbett
    • By marrbett 12th Oct 16, 9:02 PM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 23,955 Thanks
    marrbett
    You had the same thoughts as me. I think unless unilever are free we should avoid them for a while... the cheeky sausages..10% is a flipping lot.
    I agree, I mean, its not as if they reduce their prices when the pound is strong , so I;m all for avoiding them. Actually, I don't buy their stuff anyway!!
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 12th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 26,048 Posts
    • 361,667 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Love all the stories about other people wasting their money! Depressing all these banks dropping their interest rates. However, I did read last week on one of the online papers that the government is going to bring back some sort of bond to help savers. This is going to be announced at the end of november - so a little hope there.
    Went to westwood cross shopping centre in thanet today so many shops there couldn't get them all done. Not many bargains. Read on another forum that arm and hammer toothepaste is great for senstive teeth so got some of that 125ml in poundworld which is much cheaper than all the other top brands. Also abact hand gel 237ml which I will decant into smaller bottles for holidays/picnic bag. SA in tesco said she could only accept 5 hipp coupons but then noticed she had scanned so let me have it this time! nice overage of £1.98 by just sticking to 100pc fruit ones. Lots of clearance bargains in this tesco on a large cage down first aisle for an other eliters reading (come back the eliter from this way) used to love your posts but cant remember your name!
    Am also have a big declutter and having a bootfair on sunday weather permitting. Cannot get the timing right for whoopsies at Asda so am very jealous of trulymadly's 10p items.
    Originally posted by matty17r
    Think it's just me matty.
    I'M A FROCKY
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 12,992 Posts
    • 164,234 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Honest answer I have no idea. I only want a few hours a week though.
    I have no idea what experience/qualifications you have, but I am assuming you want to maximise your income and fit work into your normal life.

Caring? office work? stripper? What about doing car boot sales (stock from house clearance and glitching.

I have to admit I would be lost without work (this is a deficiency in me).
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Oct 16, 9:05 PM
    • 12,992 Posts
    • 164,234 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    i agree, i mean, its not as if they reduce their prices when the pound is strong , so i;m all for avoiding them. Actually, i don't buy their stuff anyway!!
    I agree
    • scamps1966
    • By scamps1966 12th Oct 16, 9:08 PM
    • 5,085 Posts
    • 90,653 Thanks
    scamps1966
    I agree, I mean, its not as if they reduce their prices when the pound is strong , so I;m all for avoiding them. Actually, I don't buy their stuff anyway!!
    But they do Marmite.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,124Posts Today

7,608Users online

Martin's Twitter