Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    • 11,177Posts
    • 32,691Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread 16th Jun 16 at 8:27 PM
    Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

Please see post number 2 for all the relevant information on the thread. Savvybuyer's excellent lists are in the subsequent posts.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!
    Last edited by redfox; 16-06-2016 at 9:38 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 1356
    • hornetgirl
    • By hornetgirl 12th Oct 16, 7:54 PM
    • 4,636 Posts
    • 57,889 Thanks
    hornetgirl
    Thank goodness GBBO will be on in a few minutes. I'm having to sit on my hands to stop myself from going to A for beer...
    Unity is strength...Knowledge is power...Attitude is everything

MF 30 June 2010
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 12th Oct 16, 7:56 PM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 34,055 Thanks
    Serendipitious

Originally posted by TrulyMadly
    Or this

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 12th Oct 16, 7:59 PM
    • 28,018 Posts
    • 395,384 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Thank goodness GBBO will be on in a few minutes. I'm having to sit on my hands to stop myself from going to A for beer...
    Originally posted by hornetgirl
    I can't believe it but MrTM says he doesn't want any....I'd have been out of the door like a shot....it would have been like the old days
    I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarian and we're sceptical.
    Arthur C Clarke.
    • marrbett
    • By marrbett 12th Oct 16, 8:02 PM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 23,955 Thanks
    marrbett
    I should be looking for a job rather than looking at bargains.
    Originally posted by Tinyshoes
    Come and do .com shopping at T with me. I start at 6am and am usually home by 10am....
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 12th Oct 16, 8:02 PM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 34,055 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    That is a good idea (after paying the mortgage off).

Originally posted by Sunshinemummy

I get your point but the sooner the better really.

The thing is, with all this auto-enrolment, most people now who didn't opt out should have a bit of a pot growing somewhere, however humble it may seem to be.

And that can be added to, through payroll, or independently, and benefit immediately from tax relief. So every £8 added becomes £10.

Depends on age, really, and how long to go to the 'retirement date' of the pot (not the same always as State Pension Age) and how flexible the provider is and how much you need the cash close at hand. Lots of factors.
    Last edited by Serendipitious; 12-10-2016 at 8:04 PM.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 12th Oct 16, 8:04 PM
    • 28,018 Posts
    • 395,384 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Tea tonight

I had to try the new Philly, Barilla Tagliatelle and whoopsied salad...cheap as chips but tastier

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarian and we're sceptical.
    Arthur C Clarke.
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 12th Oct 16, 8:07 PM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 34,055 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    The economy version of the Halloween Teddy is to buy some bandages and wrap him up like a mummy.

• Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Oct 16, 8:07 PM
    • 12,970 Posts
    • 163,948 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    I get your point but the sooner the better really.

The thing is, with all this auto-enrolment, most people now who didn't opt out should have a bit of a pot growing somewhere, however humble it may seem to be.

And that can be added to, through payroll, or independently, and benefit immediately from tax relief. So every £8 added becomes £10.

Depends on age, really, and how long to go to the 'retirement date' of the pot (not the same always as State Pension Age) and how flexible the provider is and how much you need the cash close at hand. Lots of factors.
    Originally posted by Serendipitious
    I quiet agree about the cost effectiveness and importance of pension. Also something for people to remember is to claim National Insurance contributions for time that people have been home with caring responsibilities. x
    Frugal November £100 for 4 adults (one of which has a huge appetite!) fingers crossed.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Oct 16, 8:09 PM
    • 12,970 Posts
    • 163,948 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    The economy version of the Halloween Teddy is to buy some bandages and wrap him up like a mummy.
    I 'borrowed' a large loo roll

SSM hangs head in shame... as I am considering putting this in the bathroom!
    Frugal November £100 for 4 adults (one of which has a huge appetite!) fingers crossed.
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 12th Oct 16, 8:12 PM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 34,055 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Frugality at its height - borrowed loo roll...

• mhoc
    • By mhoc 12th Oct 16, 8:13 PM
    • 14,251 Posts
    • 171,314 Thanks
    mhoc
    Flip, it sounds like a mammoth task.

Just remember rooms are supposed to have space in....
    it is a mammoth task but i am up for the challenge - the loft i could never tackle on my own so its a relief Ive got Oh motivated at last and its now doable between us
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • LANGO1966
    • By LANGO1966 12th Oct 16, 8:13 PM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 21,835 Thanks
    LANGO1966
    Thanks Izzey

o
    1x Wham Raspberry Flavoured Bar (16G) £0.10 N/A
    4x Pedigree Schmackos Dog Treats with Chicken (172G) £6.32 £4.00
    0.16x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Banana (order by number of bananas or select kg) (PER KG) £0.11 £0.10
    1x Giant Strawberry Stripes (1PK) £0.10 £0.10
    1x Haribo Starmix (1PK) £0.10 £0.10
    1x Swizzels Refreshers Original Lemon Flavour (18G) £0.10 £0.10
    2x Pedigree Rodeo Dog Treat with Chicken (140G) £3.16 £2.00
    4x Pedigree Schmackos Dog Treat with Beef (172G) £6.32 £4.00
    1x Pedigree Rodeo Dog Food Treat with Beef (140G) £1.58 £1.00
    1x Barratt Flumps (12G) £0.10 £0.10
    1x Pedigree Schmackos Dog Treats Multi (172G) £1.58 £1.00
    Comparison total (compared products only) £19.47 £12.50
    +£6.97 cheaper
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Oct 16, 8:14 PM
    • 12,970 Posts
    • 163,948 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Frugality at its height - borrowed loo roll...

it was borrowed halloween decoration..... but now loo roll again
    • purpledonkey
    • By purpledonkey 12th Oct 16, 8:17 PM
    • 6,620 Posts
    • 85,638 Thanks
    purpledonkey
    This is terrible PD....poor soul.......are social services aware of her predicament?
    Originally posted by TrulyMadly
    They were at one point, but not sure about lately

Thanks Aau, got some cling film. None on the shelf, but stuck to the old mantra 'when in doubt, look up'
    'I solemnly swear that I am up to no good'
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 12th Oct 16, 8:20 PM
    • 26,019 Posts
    • 361,329 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    I wasn't about when you all set the October challenge but I have been following in spirit. Having been away I had bare fridge and freezer as was eating out of freezer before holiday.
    Going away again end of next week so only counting food spends on nights I am sleeping at home. If I am careful when I return ( mums freezer helps) I might manage £60 for the month for food and fuel for car. I can't count clothes as had a budget already for a couple of winter jumpers.

If you go over your budget then for some of you maybe it wasn't realistic. I don't think wine glitches can count unless you use the 'second purse' approach.

Above all I think this challenge is teaching those involved to be far more mindful of spending and consumption.

V x
    Originally posted by vanilla twist
    I agree I wasn't realistic with my total VT , all those little things that I don't usually take much notice of soon add up too...

But for the first time in months there is room in both the freezers so I must be doing something right.
    I'M A FROCKY
    Total spend for Frugal October £201.75/£100 for 3 of us. Wine glitch and M&S sale my downfall.
    • pippo
    • By pippo 12th Oct 16, 8:23 PM
    • 2,279 Posts
    • 22,770 Thanks
    pippo
    Adult social care The mans whose funeral im going too tomorrow has a brain injured disabled son (57)
    He is in hospital as had a fall 6/7 weeks ago, is as well as he will ever be now and has been for last 3/4 weeks, his dad was ill before he passed away and told SS he couldnt have him home as he would not cope with him. He had been his carer for 30 yrs with no help or payment
    Last week when i went to visit son in hospital , the nures told me he was going home
    I said has 24 hr care in place then? no he dosent need it i said how is he supposed to, bath, do his washing, cook his tea, look after the house?
    Oh didnt realise he couldnt do that , he can make a cupa tea she goes
    Maybe he can thats not going to feed him or do his washing or cooking is it?
    So he is bed blocking till they "sort" something
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Hi Bubbs, His dad 'may' have rejected care in the past thinking he could/should look after his son. The hospital should now assess and involve adult social care. He could possibly remain in his own home with care and perhaps some living skills training.
    • pippo
    • By pippo 12th Oct 16, 8:25 PM
    • 2,279 Posts
    • 22,770 Thanks
    pippo
    Adult social care The mans whose funeral im going too tomorrow has a brain injured disabled son (57)
    He is in hospital as had a fall 6/7 weeks ago, is as well as he will ever be now and has been for last 3/4 weeks, his dad was ill before he passed away and told SS he couldnt have him home as he would not cope with him. He had been his carer for 30 yrs with no help or payment
    Last week when i went to visit son in hospital , the nures told me he was going home
    I said has 24 hr care in place then? no he dosent need it i said how is he supposed to, bath, do his washing, cook his tea, look after the house?
    Oh didnt realise he couldnt do that , he can make a cupa tea she goes
    Maybe he can thats not going to feed him or do his washing or
    cooking is it?
    So he is bed blocking till they "sort" something
    Originally posted by bubbs
    PS It costs social services about £160 per day if a bed is blocked because they can't put the care needed in place.
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 12th Oct 16, 8:31 PM
    • 26,019 Posts
    • 361,329 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    I think TS needs a job.... just to restrict the amount of time she goes shopping!

I do think that alcohol and clothes should not be included. If I put diesel in the equation, I would blow the £100 in 5 day!
    I didn't include petrol SSM, I knew that wouldn't be possible. Shows how naïve I was thinking £100 would last a month.

Trouble is this way of shopping was sort of like a job to me while I was caring, I could fit it in around everything else, but then it sort of became like an obsession getting the bargains in.

Last year or so have been weaning myself off but sometimes so hard to resist...

I have started to look for a job but I'm so scared, I really don't know what I could do anymore. It is a bit of sore point between me and Mr TS at the moment.
    I'M A FROCKY
    Total spend for Frugal October £201.75/£100 for 3 of us. Wine glitch and M&S sale my downfall.
    • Westvleteren
    • By Westvleteren 12th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 3,955 Posts
    • 87,928 Thanks
    Westvleteren
    He really wanted a fb account but apparently stuffed toys are banned

I take this as a great compliment coming from our resident photographic expert.
    Maybe I could arrange him into letters of the alphabet?

I am not the best at taking photos and this one was done on n's old Antigua phone. For me it is more about what the photo says than getting the light right but I really enjoy it.
    Didn't take many this holiday as felt a bit daft taking him out and about. He is definitely more of a resort Bear
    In this photo he was still sulking as I promised him a new holiday Hawaiian shirt but couldn't get any scaled down fabric. Might have to buy some of the printable fabric sheets and make my own.

He is off to Disney on 21st so needs a new Halloween outfit. Any ideas?

V x

Also dinner with Cinderella. I have an old tutu belonging to dgd so could make him a princess outfit.
    Originally posted by vanilla twist
    Wouldn't worry about lighting, most folk don't really know/ care unless they are paying a lot of money for it. Beside it takes it away from the fun, natural side of it. Most folk on Instagram just use their camera phone. I agree it's more about the story that goes with it and you can have so much fun with it creatively. Made me smile this morning when I saw it and dare say it did for others too.

Was going to ask if you made him little outfits as your naturally creative. I'd definitely consider Instagram would be great to follow the adventures of Mr Ted
    Something unexpected happened which made me smile and still continues to make me smile.
    "Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations."
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    • 12,970 Posts
    • 163,948 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Hi Bubbs, His dad 'may' have rejected care in the past thinking he could/should look after his son. The hospital should now assess and involve adult social care. He could possibly remain in his own home with care and perhaps some living skills training.
    Originally posted by pippo
    There are all sorts of different provisions. I rather like the shared house (sorry cannot remember the right term) but they have 4 or 5 flats off an office/support point.

I also like shared lives provision, but this takes a while to set up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,108Posts Today

6,202Users online

Martin's Twitter