Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    • 11,176Posts
    • 32,691Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread 16th Jun 16 at 8:27 PM
    Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

Please see post number 2 for all the relevant information on the thread. Savvybuyer's excellent lists are in the subsequent posts.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!
    Last edited by redfox; 16-06-2016 at 9:38 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 1355
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Oct 16, 7:27 PM
    • 41,348 Posts
    • 502,352 Thanks
    bubbs
    Not yet but I can see it will have its turn sometime this month

Tonight is Scottish beef beefburgers (butcher, nice thick ones) plus vegetables.
    Originally posted by Serendipitious
    I have never had spam
    Ok it's official I have no willpower.

Superdrug the BB creams I got for £2.50 are now down to £1 as if I don't have enough but I didn't have a free gift before.

Only went in for my £2 loo rolls and now have to add £4 to my frocky total.
    Originally posted by Tinyshoes
    Thats why i didnt do challenge

Now evening but hoping all went well for you and not too distressing, I know its upsetting but im sure you coped well x
    Originally posted by HILLBERN
    Thanks but its tomorrow
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    FOR ALL YOU MOANERS , LOOSE GRAPES, MUSHROOM DOES NOT COUNT ON APG DO NOT BUY AS FILLER
    Happy now?
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 12th Oct 16, 7:30 PM
    • 26,015 Posts
    • 361,260 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    I was at work miss all the bargains
    Originally posted by bubbs
    I should be looking for a job rather than looking at bargains.
    I'M A FROCKY
    Total spend for Frugal October £201.75/£100 for 3 of us. Wine glitch and M&S sale my downfall.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Oct 16, 7:31 PM
    • 12,959 Posts
    • 163,826 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    ----> News right, oh no, W now require a purchase before free coffee in some stores . Wonders out loud if the free newspaper, free mag (after MyW kicks in) counts - you sometimes have to add something anyway depending on the newspaper to get the price down .

Anon
    Originally posted by Anon
    In my local W, you can get the cup with or without purchasing anything, but with a purchase it adds to the overall costs. However, the other day I went to the one in Sheffield, they would not let me get one at the till and add to the overall costs... so had to run back into the store to get something else to meet the conditional spend. Then I got a flipping bus lane fine... I had been at lights which changed 4 times and I did not move as cars were feeding in from the right and parking on the yellow squares blocking everyone else. I am going to actively avoid Sheffield in rush hour!
    Frugal November £100 for 4 adults (one of which has a huge appetite!) fingers crossed.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Oct 16, 7:32 PM
    • 41,348 Posts
    • 502,352 Thanks
    bubbs
    Bargains are better
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    FOR ALL YOU MOANERS , LOOSE GRAPES, MUSHROOM DOES NOT COUNT ON APG DO NOT BUY AS FILLER
    Happy now?
    • vanilla twist
    • By vanilla twist 12th Oct 16, 7:35 PM
    • 3,724 Posts
    • 55,819 Thanks
    vanilla twist
    I wasn't about when you all set the October challenge but I have been following in spirit. Having been away I had bare fridge and freezer as was eating out of freezer before holiday.
    Going away again end of next week so only counting food spends on nights I am sleeping at home. If I am careful when I return ( mums freezer helps) I might manage £60 for the month for food and fuel for car. I can't count clothes as had a budget already for a couple of winter jumpers.

If you go over your budget then for some of you maybe it wasn't realistic. I don't think wine glitches can count unless you use the 'second purse' approach.

Above all I think this challenge is teaching those involved to be far more mindful of spending and consumption.

V x
    . I do think a chaise lounge is a good description of you though. Stylish yet comfortable and laid back
    Originally posted by fairclaire
    May the odds be ever in your favour

SPC 7 Pot No 410 £232.63 Total
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Oct 16, 7:35 PM
    • 41,348 Posts
    • 502,352 Thanks
    bubbs
    Waitrose Gold Coffee - 200g Refill for £2.32 with PYO
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/waitrose-gold-coffee-200g-refill-for-2-32-with-pyo-2527178
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    Happy now?
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Oct 16, 7:36 PM
    • 12,959 Posts
    • 163,826 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    on the plus side though we are making huge progress with the house decluttering and downsizing

Last week i rearranged the study which had always had 2 desks in it but now its just my domain the 2nd desk was surplus to requirements. I offered the desk and a set of bedroom drawers on Streetlife and Freecycle but i got no takers so I rang the Heart Foundation shop locally which has a furniture shop right in the middle of town and the van came on Monday to collect them. It also sells electricals so they took the old Sky box and remote. I also had a brain wave on Monday morning and gave then 2 prints of paintings which have been hanging around.
    Also my m-i-l was a nurse in the 70s and in rehab classes they used to make those woven foot- stools and we have had one of her creations for about the last 30 years. That went on the van as well.

So the study now has a vast empty space in the middle but i am getting used to it. Everything that was in the 2nd desk was sorted through, some went into paper recycling or got shredded and what was left has all gone neatly into the file drawers in the main desk.

Tuesday i took some bits to the food bank trolley in Tesco, a box and a bagfull of stuff to the charity shop and a huge bag of books went to the oxfam book bank. Plus another shoe box full of stuff was put aside for the Christmas shoe box collection

Today OH was in the loft and he came down with 2 boxes of stuff - Ive not been up there for donkeys years so it fills me with horror as to what is up there - the remnants of 2 house clearances and the detritus from 2 sons bedrooms when the bedrooms were remodelled plus another 30 years of our own stuff
    One box was full of pencils and such like so very easily sorted through and mostly destined for plastic waste or the fire. The other was M -i-l photos, some wedding ones so these were saved for posterity, the rest random holiday ones and condemned to the paper recycling.
    So now Ive got OH motivated he says he will keep bringing stuff down from the loft - think its going to be a long job though ...
    Originally posted by mhoc
    Flip, it sounds like a mammoth task.

Just remember rooms are supposed to have space in....
    Frugal November £100 for 4 adults (one of which has a huge appetite!) fingers crossed.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Oct 16, 7:37 PM
    • 41,348 Posts
    • 502,352 Thanks
    bubbs

Portable Female Women Urinal Urination Toilet Urine Device Funnel @ Banggood £1.39
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/portable-female-women-urinal-urination-toilet-urine-device-funnel-banggood-1-39-2526699
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    Happy now?
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 12th Oct 16, 7:38 PM
    • 28,011 Posts
    • 395,292 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    CORONA HAS WORKED A v W !!!

Sorry if already posted but just got my APG back

Buy in 3's to keep APG below a tenner - this gave a fraction over £9. Off to buy more ........
    Originally posted by hampydoodums
    Well done hampy

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarian and we're sceptical.
    Arthur C Clarke.
    • pippo
    • By pippo 12th Oct 16, 7:38 PM
    • 2,277 Posts
    • 22,747 Thanks
    pippo
    This is terrible PD....poor soul.......are social services aware of her predicament?
    Originally posted by TrulyMadly
    If she has nurses in daily adult social care should(!) know
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Oct 16, 7:39 PM
    • 41,348 Posts
    • 502,352 Thanks
    bubbs
    VT glad you had a great holiday
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    Happy now?
    • mrsmac10
    • By mrsmac10 12th Oct 16, 7:41 PM
    • 3,094 Posts
    • 40,988 Thanks
    mrsmac10
    Found the blind pigs in a's tonight after buying T's this afternoon Still free
    Loved the Frocky challenge I will do this again in the New Year
    • pippo
    • By pippo 12th Oct 16, 7:41 PM
    • 2,277 Posts
    • 22,747 Thanks
    pippo

Portable Female Women Urinal Urination Toilet Urine Device Funnel @ Banggood £1.39
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/portable-female-women-urinal-urination-toilet-urine-device-funnel-banggood-1-39-2526699
    Lol.. cheap she wee!
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 12th Oct 16, 7:44 PM
    • 28,011 Posts
    • 395,292 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    If she has nurses in daily adult social care should(!) know
    Originally posted by pippo
    I read that pippo but sometimes people don't see what's happening right under their noses, complacency can set in.....and are they nurses?

Anyone else having problems with the thread? Keep getting error messages
    Arthur C Clarke.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Oct 16, 7:46 PM
    • 41,348 Posts
    • 502,352 Thanks
    bubbs
    Adult social care The mans whose funeral im going too tomorrow has a brain injured disabled son (57)
    He is in hospital as had a fall 6/7 weeks ago, is as well as he will ever be now and has been for last 3/4 weeks, his dad was ill before he passed away and told SS he couldnt have him home as he would not cope with him. He had been his carer for 30 yrs with no help or payment
    Last week when i went to visit son in hospital , the nures told me he was going home
    I said has 24 hr care in place then? no he dosent need it i said how is he supposed to, bath, do his washing, cook his tea, look after the house?
    Oh didnt realise he couldnt do that , he can make a cupa tea she goes
    Maybe he can thats not going to feed him or do his washing or cooking is it?
    So he is bed blocking till they "sort" something
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    Happy now?
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Oct 16, 7:47 PM
    • 41,348 Posts
    • 502,352 Thanks
    bubbs
    Lol.. cheap she wee!
    Originally posted by pippo
    Hubby was funming when we was away he had to PAY 40p to go for a wee
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    Happy now?
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 12th Oct 16, 7:47 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 34,017 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Does anyone have a figure in their head whereby they would just concede the savings game and just give up?

I think my break even point would be 0.75% so we are not that far off

What then - Premium bonds? At least your money is safe and you can cash them in when you need to pay a big bill
    Originally posted by mhoc
    Do you have a pension to which you can add?
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 12th Oct 16, 7:50 PM
    • 28,011 Posts
    • 395,292 Thanks
    TrulyMadly

He is off to Disney on 21st so needs a new Halloween outfit. Any ideas?

V x

Originally posted by vanilla twist

Arthur C Clarke.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 12,959 Posts
    • 163,826 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Haha, Oh Tiny, I know I shouldn't laugh, but you're very funny in this challenge! I'm feeling every anxious feeling with you and think you've only bought sensible bargains. Try to live off of £100 for food and drink for this month only, don't count all that wine in your overall total.xx
    Originally posted by marrbett
    Bargains are better
    I think TS needs a job.... just to restrict the amount of time she goes shopping!

I do think that alcohol and clothes should not be included. If I put diesel in the equation, I would blow the £100 in 5 day!
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 12,959 Posts
    • 163,826 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Do you have a pension to which you can add?
    Originally posted by Serendipitious
    That is a good idea (after paying the mortgage off).

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

58Posts Today

4,212Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin