Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    • 11,207Posts
    • 32,760Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread 16th Jun 16 at 8:27 PM
    Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

Please see post number 2 for all the relevant information on the thread. Savvybuyer's excellent lists are in the subsequent posts.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!
    Last edited by redfox; 16-06-2016 at 9:38 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 1353
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 12th Oct 16, 5:29 PM
    • 3,337 Posts
    • 34,636 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    anyone else got spam for tea?
    Originally posted by bubbs

Not yet but I can see it will have its turn sometime this month

Tonight is Scottish beef beefburgers (butcher, nice thick ones) plus vegetables.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• mhoc
    • By mhoc 12th Oct 16, 5:59 PM
    • 14,325 Posts
    • 172,066 Thanks
    mhoc
    Agreed, but where to put the money? I've just opened a Nationwide which I think is 3% for 1 year. Any other tips would be welcome.
    Originally posted by remote90
    this is the difficult bit, the shifting it from one place to another and co ordinating them so you have an annual monthly saver finishing just as the glut of big bills are due

my fall back position is the Nationwide easy access ISA - I think i am getting 1.2% - I dread to think what it is now. Its like the jam jar on the kitchen shelf where you out the bill money until its due.

Nationwide are closing 2 of my long standing savings accounts in December plus the 5% account finishing - its a bit like the ground underneath you keeps shifting away

I think come January it will be time for another big think. There are 2 big bills due in 2017 plus the vague hope of trapping the builder to come and do some more work so we cant really commit to any long term savings

It never used to be hard work, you just made an appointment with the building society and set up savings bonds for however many years you needed them to last - this is what I did for my dad when i was sorting out his finances, set up a number of bonds to cover his fees and this was only about 5 years ago
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 12th Oct 16, 6:00 PM
    • 14,325 Posts
    • 172,066 Thanks
    mhoc
    Well apparently I have seborrhoic dermatitis so got some different stuff to try.
    Originally posted by emerald21
    that sounds very exotic
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Oct 16, 6:06 PM
    • 41,763 Posts
    • 506,120 Thanks
    bubbs
    more reductions from M&S mens summer collection. Linen shorts £2.49 C&C
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/more-reductions-from-m-s-mens-summer-collection-linen-shorts-2-49-c-c-2526803
    See a 38 wait in stone is instock
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    FOR ALL YOU MOANERS , LOOSE GRAPES, MUSHROOM DOES NOT COUNT ON APG DO NOT BUY AS FILLER
    Happy now?
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 12th Oct 16, 6:07 PM
    • 952 Posts
    • 9,354 Thanks
    curl girl
    Mums isa is dropping to 0.05%......absolutely shocking, she has asked me to help source an alternative!
    Last edited by curl girl; 12-10-2016 at 6:10 PM.
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboards!!!
    • mrsmac10
    • By mrsmac10 12th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    • 3,104 Posts
    • 41,114 Thanks
    mrsmac10
    Been to work meeting close to a large T so nipped in for Hipp.
    No overage sadly as it turned out - but I'd wanted to get all age 4 mths for DD's childminder, so that was the main factor. (Confession - I got one 6mth one for me to try.)

Went back in again afterwards and got another lot, home now so just put it through the BG to see what's what.

1x HIPP ORG APPLE, STRAWBERRY & BANANA 100G
    £1.00 £0.99 £1.00 n/a
    1x HIPP ORGANIC APL PEAR & BANANA 4 MTH+ 100G
    £1.00 £0.99 n/a n/a 1x
    HIPP ORG PEACH, APPLE, BLUEBERRY RASPBERRY 100G
    £1.00 £0.99 n/a n/a 1x
    HIPP ORGANIC COTTAGE PIE 100G
    £1.00 n/a n/a n/a
    1x
    HIPP ORGANIC P/NIP SWT SQUASH & CKN DINNER100G
    £1.00 n/a £1.00 n/a

1x HIPP ORGANIC P/NIP SWT P/TOE & BROCCOLI 100G
    £1.00 £0.99 £1.00 n/a
    1x HIPP ORG APL, BANA & R/BERRY B/FAST 6M+ 100G
    £1.00 £0.99 n/a n/a 2x

Tesco comparable total £5.00 Competitor shop total £4.95 (A)

Cash spent: £2.44 on one shop, £3.80 on the other - was allowing for overage just in case! Got Optiwell, so 80p on BG for that, also Activia so £2 on BG for that.

So 6.24 to add to FO total - milk, ginger preserve, gravy granules, yoghurt and other sundries.
    Originally posted by Serendipitious

I have been looking ginger preserve I add it to whipped cream and sandwich it though a Jamaican ginger cake Looks good and really quick to prepare
    Loved the Frocky challenge I will do this again in the New Year
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 12th Oct 16, 6:17 PM
    • 26,063 Posts
    • 361,825 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Just saw this fro the others for W corona

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/waitrose.co.uk

Hope link comes out ok..now dashing to pick my new glasses up x
    Originally posted by HILLBERN
    This should have way more thanks Hillbern.

Was going to take my frock off but according to CS some man got there before me and had bought the lot.

But I phoned DD and she kindly went to her waities and got her dad £10 worth. 24 bottles for £10 makes them about 42p bottle.
    I'M A FROCKY
    Total spend for Frugal October £201.75/£100 for 3 of us. Wine glitch and M&S sale my downfall.
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 12th Oct 16, 6:23 PM
    • 26,063 Posts
    • 361,825 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    more reductions from M&S mens summer collection. Linen shorts £2.49 C&C
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/more-reductions-from-m-s-mens-summer-collection-linen-shorts-2-49-c-c-2526803
    See a 38 wait in stone is instock
    There were loads of sizes of different men's shorts, I did mention there were some good bargains this morning. I thought the menswear reductions were particularly good this time round.
    I'M A FROCKY
    Total spend for Frugal October £201.75/£100 for 3 of us. Wine glitch and M&S sale my downfall.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 12th Oct 16, 6:23 PM
    • 10,628 Posts
    • 117,621 Thanks
    Anon
    ----> News right, oh no, W now require a purchase before free coffee in some stores . Wonders out loud if the free newspaper, free mag (after MyW kicks in) counts - you sometimes have to add something anyway depending on the newspaper to get the price down .

Anon
    • izzeyb
    • By izzeyb 12th Oct 16, 6:23 PM
    • 3,843 Posts
    • 78,178 Thanks
    izzeyb
    Mums isa is dropping to 0.05%......absolutely shocking, she has asked me to help source an alternative!
    Originally posted by curl girl
    Is this with Santander by any chance? We have two ending 1st December and they are offering 0.5%
    N1LDA
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 12th Oct 16, 6:25 PM
    • 3,337 Posts
    • 34,636 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    I have been looking ginger preserve I add it to whipped cream and sandwich it though a Jamaican ginger cake Looks good and really quick to prepare
    Originally posted by mrsmac10

Oooh, sounds nice, I don't have cake very often though.

75p for T own brand.

I got Duerr's ginger jam last time - was on offer somewhere - it was nowhere near as nice and very runny and thin.

Ginger preserve is an excellent alternative to marmalade on a cold winter morning.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Anon
    • By Anon 12th Oct 16, 6:26 PM
    • 10,628 Posts
    • 117,621 Thanks
    Anon
    This should have way more thanks Hillbern.

Was going to take my frock off but according to CS some man got there before me and had bought the lot.

But I phoned DD and she kindly went to her waities and got her dad £10 worth. 24 bottles for £10 makes them about 42p bottle.
    Originally posted by Tinyshoes
    Hi corona beer glitch ( Waitrose ) still working 5pm 4 bottles £4.50 12 bottles £5
    Originally posted by bcw123
    Thanks for this Hillbern, don't have time to go to W as we off to see DS tomorrow. However, just done a test shop in A x
    Originally posted by hampydoodums
    Awaits A results in anticipation ... .

£4.50 for 12 bottles is good value - not as good as free C4rling or free other alcohol on the apps, but a great price for a decent lager . Can I bring myself to buy more lager though when I have quite a stash of drinks in the garage? Brings back fond memories of snakes .

Anon
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 12th Oct 16, 6:28 PM
    • 14,325 Posts
    • 172,066 Thanks
    mhoc
    on the plus side though we are making huge progress with the house decluttering and downsizing

Last week i rearranged the study which had always had 2 desks in it but now its just my domain the 2nd desk was surplus to requirements. I offered the desk and a set of bedroom drawers on Streetlife and Freecycle but i got no takers so I rang the Heart Foundation shop locally which has a furniture shop right in the middle of town and the van came on Monday to collect them. It also sells electricals so they took the old Sky box and remote. I also had a brain wave on Monday morning and gave then 2 prints of paintings which have been hanging around.
    Also my m-i-l was a nurse in the 70s and in rehab classes they used to make those woven foot- stools and we have had one of her creations for about the last 30 years. That went on the van as well.

So the study now has a vast empty space in the middle but i am getting used to it. Everything that was in the 2nd desk was sorted through, some went into paper recycling or got shredded and what was left has all gone neatly into the file drawers in the main desk.

Tuesday i took some bits to the food bank trolley in Tesco, a box and a bagfull of stuff to the charity shop and a huge bag of books went to the oxfam book bank. Plus another shoe box full of stuff was put aside for the Christmas shoe box collection

Today OH was in the loft and he came down with 2 boxes of stuff - Ive not been up there for donkeys years so it fills me with horror as to what is up there - the remnants of 2 house clearances and the detritus from 2 sons bedrooms when the bedrooms were remodelled plus another 30 years of our own stuff
    One box was full of pencils and such like so very easily sorted through and mostly destined for plastic waste or the fire. The other was M -i-l photos, some wedding ones so these were saved for posterity, the rest random holiday ones and condemned to the paper recycling.
    So now Ive got OH motivated he says he will keep bringing stuff down from the loft - think its going to be a long job though ...
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 12th Oct 16, 6:29 PM
    • 26,063 Posts
    • 361,825 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Ok it's official I have no willpower.

Superdrug the BB creams I got for £2.50 are now down to £1 as if I don't have enough but I didn't have a free gift before.

Only went in for my £2 loo rolls and now have to add £4 to my frocky total.
    I'M A FROCKY
    • HILLBERN
    • By HILLBERN 12th Oct 16, 6:30 PM
    • 1,889 Posts
    • 21,244 Thanks
    HILLBERN
    Afternoon all
    Now evening but hoping all went well for you and not too distressing, I know its upsetting but im sure you coped well x
    I'm up for frugal October....£50-£60 for 3 of us

1st 2nd Oct Current spend - £6.32......3rd Oct - £1.78 = £8.10 6th Oct £2.64 = £10.74 10th Oct£5.35 = £16.09 11thOct£6.55 =£22.64 15THOct £4.56 = £27.23 17th OCT £7.71 =£34.94 20th Oct £1.72 = £36.66
    Disaster- Budweiser+pizza deal + £6 off wys £30 in W took me over my budget
    • marrbett
    • By marrbett 12th Oct 16, 6:35 PM
    • 1,721 Posts
    • 23,974 Thanks
    marrbett

Superdrug the BB creams I got for £2.50 are now down to £1 as if I don't have enough but I didn't have a free gift before.

Haha, Oh Tiny, I know I shouldn't laugh, but you're very funny in this challenge! I'm feeling every anxious feeling with you and think you've only bought sensible bargains. Try to live off of £100 for food and drink for this month only, don't count all that wine in your overall total.xx
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 12th Oct 16, 6:36 PM
    • 14,325 Posts
    • 172,066 Thanks
    mhoc
    ----> News right, oh no, W now require a purchase before free coffee in some stores . Wonders out loud if the free newspaper, free mag (after MyW kicks in) counts - you sometimes have to add something anyway depending on the newspaper to get the price down .

Anon
    Originally posted by Anon
    oh drat - have to go and see if this includes my Waitrose as its classed as a little Waitrose
    Ours is en route to a nice little park with a big pond, disused quarry so on Sunday we went via Waitrose, got our nice free coffees and had them at the park with a muesli bars followed by three swift circuits if the pond
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 12th Oct 16, 6:37 PM
    • 952 Posts
    • 9,354 Thanks
    curl girl
    Is this with Santander by any chance? We have two ending 1st December and they are offering 0.5%
    Originally posted by izzeyb
    No izzey.
    Halifax is dropping to 0.05% soon, so 50p on £1000.00.
    Absolutely crazy.....
    All help would be appreciated!
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboards!!!
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 12th Oct 16, 6:38 PM
    • 3,337 Posts
    • 34,636 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Email to say Dove minis are instock, but now they are OOS again apparently.

I got awarded triple points all month as a welcome and quadruple points for b/day bonus - they are a bit early with this, it's not till next week.

Tiny, you make me smile and I feel loads better about my frugal spend which is technically over-budget at this point in the month.

• mhoc
    • By mhoc 12th Oct 16, 6:39 PM
    • 14,325 Posts
    • 172,066 Thanks
    mhoc

I also dont need to get more BB cream but for £1 and a free gift then i would be seriously tempted - i imagine these will only be found in store rather than online
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

456Posts Today

3,387Users online

Martin's Twitter