Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 15th Jun 16, 9:18 PM
    • 753Posts
    • 1,072Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Debt-Free wanna be vs Maternity pay. Determined to stay on track.
    • 15th Jun 16, 9:18 PM
    Debt-Free wanna be vs Maternity pay. Determined to stay on track. 15th Jun 16 at 9:18 PM
    Hey everyone,

I'm Hannah I'm 30 (not sure how or when that happened my memory must be going because I only feel 21 mentally 50 physically though )my debt is shifting in the right direction and we are able to pay £200-£300 off a month but with maternity pay fast approaching I felt a diary would be a good way to keep me on track. I am currently 22 weeks pregnant with my second little boy. DS1 ( darling son)is two on the 29th. We are going on a holiday to Devon Friday. Guessing all this expense has got me wanting to keep things in check. Since being so good I get panicky about spending but chunks of money. We booked a small family holiday though before DS2 arrives as we haven't been on a holiday for 4 years and wanted to take Kian before things got crazy. Everyone's got to live a little right. I'm also currently on an 8 week full paid sabbatical from work...it's great but that's also 5 extra days a week to try not spend money! I tell you this weather needs to perk up soft play isn't cheap!!

I was awful with money years back even had a diary on here
    previously. I have been cleaning debt for a few years now. I have some of my own debt and joint from buying things for our home my partner has bad credit due to a mortgage he's stuck in with his step father. ...we will cross this bridge at a later date but it is all (touch wood) on track now. Other than that he is great with money and has taught me a lot!! Me and DP (darling parter) share money fairly we both have pocket money then anything else go into the joint account/off my debt repayment. I was part time when I went back after DS1 but went full time when we were planning DS2 1) for the maternity pay and 2) I know my 8 weeks paid sabbatical was due so wanted to get full time pay for this. I have 6 weeks full time to work before maternity leave and I'm dreading it, but hey ho needs must! Think of the money I keep telling myself. I feel I am in a good place and manage money so much better than I used to. I'll share my tips with you.....when I get a chance. I will also update my signature with SOA ASAP.

Thanks for reading (if anyone is) now that's off my chest time for a bath then bed.
    Hannah

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Jessica; 18-04-2017 at 2:48 PM.
Page 29
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 19th Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    • 753 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Quick pop in I need to stay focused money wise. Day at home today so it should be a NSD.....I was just browsing Christmas presents so came on here instead!

Day off with DP tomorrow thinking maybe swimming and lunch at the leicure centre after. Then I've got bits to make pizzas for dinner.

My electricity fixed rate ended and the cheapest I can get is £37 more a month wahhhh!

Think that's all for now. Best go entertain ds1 while ds2's naps. X
    Deposit £13379 £20,000 66%
    emergency fund:£0/£1000
    Christmas fund £
    B/day £0
    Noodle: me: 614 DP:576 Clear: 499 DP: 414 mse:970/58%
    Family loan £7000/£6500
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 25th Sep 17, 9:35 AM
    • 753 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Back! I need to stop leaving it so long!!!

Bit of a spendy week. I'm helping my childminder run a baby group Thursday morning and we meet to set up on a Wednesday evening then have a couple of cheeky drinks after. The drinks are cheap as it's a social club but it's still something new I don't have budgeted in. Friends cost money but I need some adult time so I will maybe up my pocket money next payday. Then when we go in the car to go swimming Wednesday we realised how sunny and warm it was so headed to the beach instead and spend £40! So my pocket money fund is depleated and I have to last until 15th it's not going to happen. DP gets paid Thursday so I may need to give myself a little extra to last the month.

Just having a quick brew while the baby naps and the toddler is at preschool then it's operation tidy x
    Christmas fund £
    B/day £0
    Family loan £7000/£6500
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 25th Sep 17, 9:37 AM
    • 2,297 Posts
    • 2,823 Thanks
    chelseablue
    How's it all going with the house buying?
    Mortgage starting balance 26.02.16 £231,294
    Mortgage after Year 1 £225,078
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 25th Sep 17, 9:43 AM
    • 753 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Eugh not great. I can't get the help to buy equity loan by myself the broker took child maintenance into account for my earnings but the government don't do my earning fell a little short. So now we need DP to come off the mortgage he is on with his step dad. He has been asking and asking for years but he's always saying he'll sort it and doesn't. So dp has made it very clear his name needs to be off the mortgage by November. Weather his step dad gets his wife to apply to buy my partner out or he sells it one of the two. It's just not fare he is holding him to the contract he made him get when he was 17 as his dad couldn't get a mortgage alone. It really winding me up we have our own family and my partner has worked hard all his life how is it fare we can't use his £30,000 income towards a house! Grrr sorry I get upset when I talk about it as I'm furious! X
    Christmas fund £
    B/day £0
    Family loan £7000/£6500
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 25th Sep 17, 2:40 PM
    • 2,297 Posts
    • 2,823 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Very sorry to hear of all the stresses you're going through. As if buying a house wasn't stressful enough!

Hopefully your DP can get himself off the mortgage with his step dad. Maybe he could start the ball rolling and just give the step dad the papers to sign? x
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 25th Sep 17, 2:52 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    His step dad has his uncle living there. It's all a big complicated mess of not wanting to annoy anyone too much to stay on wills etc!
    Christmas fund £
    B/day £0
    Family loan £7000/£6500
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 29th Sep 17, 7:49 AM
    • 753 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Morning, quick pop in as off to town for a few bits before work. They are for the toddler group i help run and will get the money back. But just want to make sure I don't pick up things for me I don't need while shopping! I do need dry shampoo, hair spray and maybe a cheap primark cardigan for work and that's it!! I don't need more socks for the boys I just need to spend time sorting out all the odd ones!!!

Do got paid and we managed to put £450 in savings whoop! Also ordered a new car seat £150 as the baby needs to move up for the toddler needs to move into a new one. This is something I won't scrimp on though and the one we went for is the which top rated. Once it arrives I'll be able to sell the baby seat and isofix then pop that in savings too.

No house news yet and still no work from dp's family about the house. They say they are waiting on a payout to pay the mortgage off in full then DP can sign over his half of the house to the step dad. We shall see! I'll get DP to follow up again best week! Sure he hates me but it's gotta be done he's too nice a guy and doesn't like awkward conversations but it's the only thing holding us back now!

Right best get in the shower and ready for work x
    Christmas fund £
    B/day £0
    Family loan £7000/£6500
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 4th Oct 17, 3:55 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    reality_check
    I've just caught up on your diary, shame about the mortgage application but quite right about getting your OH to sort the house out once and for all. Good luck with it all, sounds stressful! How are you finding being back at work? xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    Current debt: £8,000
    • FaithFay1992
    • By FaithFay1992 4th Oct 17, 5:20 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    FaithFay1992
    Hi Hannah,

Sorry I didn't have time to read the full thread but it looked interesting! How was maternity leave?

I'm currently in the process of getting organised to pay off debt. Between me and OH we get a decent wage so everything is manageable however I'm going on mat leave myself with my first baby in December which I'm both so excited and also terrified for!

The reduced mat pay will be hard but I just plan on sticking with my normal monthly payments for the personal loan (whereas at the moment I have been making overpayments).

Have you any thrifty tips for while on mat leave? Was thinking of EBaying baby clothes as I have been told by numerous people that you blink and the baby has grown so he will be outgrowing clothes/toys/furniture like there is no tomorrow.

He's also just kicked me as I type this so I guess he is agreeing
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 14th Oct 17, 8:09 AM
    • 753 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Ok ok I'm back sorry it's been a while. I've been on the wagon don't worry just not really felt like posting.

DP is still on the other mortgage and still pushing for something to happen I could rant all day about it but it is what it is and hopefully they will sort it soon.

Payday yesterday and I managed to wangle things so the savings now sit at £13,000 I thought if it was a nice round figure I'd fight a lot harder to keep it that way and not dip in.

So I need to plan my pocket money for the month as there is a bit on.

Christening tomorrow but we already have the gift sorted and the party is at a house after so only spend should be parking but I'll try to avoid that too.
    Not much on next week pub Wednesday night after group set up but this is always £6 max so 4 weeks is £24
    Group Thursday £2
    We have three days off tiger for DS's 1st birthday only really spend should be a day out of his actual birthday we won £40 on a scratch card yesterday tho so said we'd save the cash for entry to a zoo or aquarium then we have Tesco vouchers for lunch out.
    I'm going on a night out and staying at a friends house it's been so long I don't even know how much I'll spend £50 maybe? I also want a new dress but will go to H&M so it should be quite cheap. £30 max

Ok sorry for the randomness above I just needed to clear up in my brain where my money was going. Should all be douable with my pocket money.

Food shopping has gone up slightly while I've been stocking up on a few vegan bits. about a month of being vegan now and and finding the right balance with things and feeling really good for it.

Hey Faith starting a diary is the best tip I have it's kept me on track and stopped me going mad. Also great that your getting into the swing of paying of debt before the mat pay kicks in and it's a battle once it does. Keep chipping away at it and posting in your diary. Selling any clothes is frustrating they sell for pennies sometimes it's not even worth your time but that works to your advantage if you don't mind buying second hand clothes for baby to wear. X

Working 11-7 today boysbhave just left for the childminder so had a brew and a check in before I shower and get ready. Which I probably should do now my tea has gone.

Getting urges to go spend money as I could potentially be in town early. I do need a few bits so I'll do a list to keep me on track.
    Balloons and cards for ds1's birthday we have one little presents for him and that's it we have so many toys it's ridiculous to buy more for the sake of it.
    I want to get the boys a nice onsie each for christmas so pay pop to primark and see if they have any in but then again I want matching and they don't do baby bits in the same size as the toddler ones so maybe I'm safer not stepping in there at all!!

Right I'm babbling xx
    Christmas fund £
    B/day £0
    Family loan £7000/£6500
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 17th Oct 17, 2:37 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Ok so I made a decision yesterday after talking to my dad. I'm goi g to buy the house we currently rent. Two months ago the landlord offered it to us for £79,000 I can afford this (I hope) alone with my part time income while DP sorts his situation out. That was we are on the property ladder. The houses around here sell fast so there are no worries with need to sell at a later date and I think £79,000 is a very good price from what I've seen. I've messaged the landlord asking if £79,000 is still ok as it was two months ago. Hopefully it will be then I can get the ball rolling. I'll have a 15% deposit! Now to wait.....
    Christmas fund £
    B/day £0
    Family loan £7000/£6500
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 24th Oct 17, 2:28 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Eugh feeling all slow about money today. I feel like we are getting nowhere which is absolute madness. I just over a year debt has come down from £8999 to £6625 (£4626 really as the family loan included £2000 that's gone into savings) We have a good chunk of money in savings. It's just the relentless feeling of watching purse stinging and watching ever penny taking its toal I think.

Long story on the house situation but we basically can't but this for 6 months due to issues my land lords side. So back to square one.

I need to get back on my diary and post more I think to keep me more motivated. Now the debt is consolidated to one monthly payment to my dad it's not a constant signature update whenever a bill is paid. DP has had another slow month at work so that's two pay days where we will just be making ends meet and not able to save much.

His parents are down tomorrow and they are still saying he will be off this mortgage by the middle of next month so although it's not savings or debts cleared that another massive goal we've been working on for years.....fingers crossed they mean it this time!

Slow and steady wins the race.

Three lazy days at home with the boys. We've literally all been in pj's it's been nice to just chill out a bit to be honest plus the baby is teething and the toddler is mega tired. Plus no spends which is good. £126 in my pocket money account left until 15th I'm out Saturday night my first drinking night out for about two years. Staying at a friends I've budgeted £50 hopefully I'll come in under but maybe going to food before in the day so might not be possible. That'll leave £70ish to last until 15th and I've got no really plans yet. Ds's birthday Fridays and my mums so we're doing a day out as not having a party. We've £30 cash from a scratch card win saved then £60 Tesco vouchers just need to pick a restaurant so a nice day out with lunch shouldn't cost to much.

Right gonna have a quick brew while the baby naps. I must check in more I think money just feels slow as it's more consolidated now, but we're in a much better position than when I started the diary so I must keep remembering that x
    Christmas fund £
    B/day £0
    Family loan £7000/£6500
    • nkkingston
    • By nkkingston 24th Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 512 Thanks
    nkkingston
    I'd definitely keep buying your current house in mind. Six months is no time in house buying - you could put an offer in somewhere today and still be waiting to move by the time your current property comes up. (it took us six months from offer to move when neither us nor the sellers were in a chain - house buying is sloooooow). The longer it takes to move, the bigger a deposit you can save, and the cheaper your mortgage will be. Also no moving costs, and no disruption for your boys.
    Mortgage
    June 2016: £93,295
    December 2017: £79,667.26
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 12th Nov 17, 6:58 AM
    • 753 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Long time no post!

I need to get back into posting with Christmas coming up and all the temptations to buy unnecessary items!

Had to use some savings for bills and food this month as DP has such a poor pay day. He's getting paid similar this month too wahhh! That's the problem with commission when it's good it's good but when they don't hit targets the basic is grim!

Oh a plus tho his parents have paid off the mortgage in full and have started the process to get his name off the deeds! In jan it'll also be two years since any late payments on his credit score so we will talk to a broker again then and hopefully get a mip. No more house looking until mip secured for my sanity!

I really need to keep spending in cheque as bank statements will be required etc!

£5 left of my pocket money and only Wednesday night drinks planned until payday so that should cover that. I've made a good start on Christmas presents left to buy

Mum £20
    Dad £20
    Step mum £20
    Brother in law £10
    Nephew £10
    DP£10
    Tree £50
    Ds£100 (I want to get a tablet maybe if I can afford too if not he's got a few toys and bits and bobs)
    £240 Christmas fund will be £137 by xmas so I need to find £100 we shall see ds may have to go without the tablet.

I messaged a couple of my friends with kids to see if we could scrap presents for kids as they were happy with it. We have 8 kids between us and it's getting silly. We said we'd do a nice playdste bear Christmas instead and make some memories instead of buying toys that won't get played with.

I could do with meal planning today to use up food we have in until payday. I'll start adding a few Christmas bits to each food order and stash them away.

Quite an expensive time coming up.
    Meal with play group mum's £40
    Birthday night out £50
    Escape rooms with DP £30 clubcard vouchers for lunch
    Comedy gig with dad £50 (baby sitter and dinner)

I should be due a bonus from work in December so I'll check that out next time I'm working as could do with a bit of extra pocket money and maybe buy ds that tablet.

Eowzers long borne post sorry but needed to get it all out of my brain.

Back to sofa snuggles and toy story. 4.30am wake up call from ds1 on a Sunday morning!!! I'm not a fan! X
    Christmas fund £
    B/day £0
    Family loan £7000/£6500
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 12th Nov 17, 7:21 AM
    • 2,297 Posts
    • 2,823 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Me and my son are up watching postman pat! So tired and I just have the one son

I havenít bought a thing yet for Christmas so youíre more organised than me

Are you still hoping to buy your current house from the landlord?
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 12th Nov 17, 7:26 AM
    • 753 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Morning Chelsea blue :0) why do they not appreciate a Sunday lie in!!! Hes had a busy few days at the childminders he needed a big sleep really....and so did I!

I have a standing order for £50 into a Christmas savings account so buy things through the year when I see them on offer. We would always screw ourselves over with money and every jan would be horrible.

No we've decided against this one. It's not big enough so we want to move into a home we can stay in for forseable future. Xx
    Christmas fund £
    B/day £0
    Family loan £7000/£6500
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 14th Nov 17, 8:33 AM
    • 753 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Quick pop in as we're heading into town soon to get ds's hair cut and also pick up some bits to make cakes for a children in need cake sale. I will make a shopping list and stick to it!!!
    Christmas fund £
    B/day £0
    Family loan £7000/£6500
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 21st Nov 17, 10:45 AM
    • 699 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    reality_check
    That’s a shame about your OH wages, I work in car sales so very much commission based but like him when it’s good it’s great but bad is definitely bad!

Great news about the mortgage he’s stuck on, fresh start for the new year.

Glad you’ve done that with your friends too, it does get silly and just ends up with buying each other £10 toys that are mostly plastic junk and all those £10’s add up!! A nice play date sounds far nicer.

Good luck Christmas shopping xxx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    Current debt: £8,000
    • lauradora
    • By lauradora 30th Nov 17, 10:11 AM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 4,330 Thanks
    lauradora
    Are you still vegan??

I want rid of my debt and my fat in 2015!
    DFW nerd no 844

• hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 30th Nov 17, 2:21 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Afternoon,

Yes Lauradora I am can't believe I didn't do it sooner!

Oh man I wrote a big post the other day and it hasn't posted. Long story short money is tight maybe a little short but trying to behave as much as possible xx
    Christmas fund £
    B/day £0
    Family loan £7000/£6500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,950Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin