Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 15th Jun 16, 9:18 PM
    • 626Posts
    • 958Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Debt-Free wanna be vs Maternity pay. Determined to stay on track.
    • 15th Jun 16, 9:18 PM
    Debt-Free wanna be vs Maternity pay. Determined to stay on track. 15th Jun 16 at 9:18 PM
    Hey everyone,

I'm Hannah I'm 30 (not sure how or when that happened my memory must be going because I only feel 21 mentally 50 physically though )my debt is shifting in the right direction and we are able to pay 200-300 off a month but with maternity pay fast approaching I felt a diary would be a good way to keep me on track. I am currently 22 weeks pregnant with my second little boy. DS1 ( darling son)is two on the 29th. We are going on a holiday to Devon Friday. Guessing all this expense has got me wanting to keep things in check. Since being so good I get panicky about spending but chunks of money. We booked a small family holiday though before DS2 arrives as we haven't been on a holiday for 4 years and wanted to take Kian before things got crazy. Everyone's got to live a little right. I'm also currently on an 8 week full paid sabbatical from work...it's great but that's also 5 extra days a week to try not spend money! I tell you this weather needs to perk up soft play isn't cheap!!

I was awful with money years back even had a diary on here
    previously. I have been cleaning debt for a few years now. I have some of my own debt and joint from buying things for our home my partner has bad credit due to a mortgage he's stuck in with his step father. ...we will cross this bridge at a later date but it is all (touch wood) on track now. Other than that he is great with money and has taught me a lot!! Me and DP (darling parter) share money fairly we both have pocket money then anything else go into the joint account/off my debt repayment. I was part time when I went back after DS1 but went full time when we were planning DS2 1) for the maternity pay and 2) I know my 8 weeks paid sabbatical was due so wanted to get full time pay for this. I have 6 weeks full time to work before maternity leave and I'm dreading it, but hey ho needs must! Think of the money I keep telling myself. I feel I am in a good place and manage money so much better than I used to. I'll share my tips with you.....when I get a chance. I will also update my signature with SOA ASAP.

Thanks for reading (if anyone is) now that's off my chest time for a bath then bed.
    Hannah

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Jessica; 18-04-2017 at 2:48 PM.
Page 22
    • Lau0707
    • By Lau0707 7th Apr 17, 4:16 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    Lau0707
    Thank you ! to be honest, I've been a lurker for years, but your post has been the only one i wanted to reply to, do I've set an account up. Its been fab for mortgage advice, credit feels, getting bills down etc and debts. I went to uni, got into trouble whilst at uni financially, and had 2 children whilst there too, so my money problems started then. Never in a million years did I think a default could affect my mortgage application for up to 6 years! we live and learn. The boys have been at nursery today, so Ive had my midwife appointment then went to dune*m mill and m & s.. 1.49 in d*nelm on sofa cleaner. I picked up a 40 bundle set of bedding for the baby but i never used bumpers with the boys, or a duvet, it was alway a blanket, so i actually put it back

treated hubby and i to a M& S dine in dinner for 10 tonight, and saved the wine for after baby or for gifting.

how has today been? I need a buggy board too for september, but that can wait for now. Hope youve had a good day x
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 7th Apr 17, 7:50 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Ah thanks that's nice to know. I do ramble on a little though sorry. I just like to get all my mental lists out of my brain it helps me sleep.....if the baby doesn't wake me IF ha ha who am I fooling the little guy is still up ever two hours!! Zzzzz

I'm not 100% sure my money advice is correct to be fare but I know a mortgage default can seriously mess you up. Luckily dp'a were just late payments and not completely missed like me initially though.

Lovely day here dropped a bouncy chair I sold off on the way to the park then filled up the car with diesel ready for the zoo trip Monday. No soends at the park whoop! It was too cold for ice cream so we didn't bother with going to the shop.

Right time to go have a shower then it's shepherds pie for dinner. Xx
    OD 0 C Card 0% 2212.20 Now:672 Loan4540.84 Now:3378.90 Familyloan 900 Now:1000 Next: 49Now 10 DFS 1017 Now:462.50
    Total Debt June 2016 8996.47 Now:5427.26= 39%Down
    Savings:2007/20,000 = 10% Car fund:0 Xs fund 70.25 B/day [COLOR="Lime"]35
    Noodle: 619 Clear: 490 msescore:888/56%
    • Lau0707
    • By Lau0707 7th Apr 17, 8:58 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    Lau0707
    I love it though, its nice just to write stuff down. Its what keeps you focused, this makes me focused and makes me want to tell people how little I've spent today lol

Oh no! Hope you get some sleep soon

We haven't luckily got a mortgage default, we still rent, but I didn't realise how much a default could mess up a potential mortgage. I can't wait to start selling all my baby stuff again lol, this baby was a definite NO until last august, and because we had sold everything we've been buying again.

We've had lovely weather down in Kent, meant to be 21 degrees tomorrow! We've planned a BBQ but it probably wont happen lol. Hubby isn't well tonight, so quick comfort food for me- beans on toast with grated cheese. i love it! We've saved our 'posh' dinner for Sunday he didn't want to waste it with being poorly. Hope your Shephers pie was lovely xx
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 7th Apr 17, 9:16 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Oooh interesting....what made you change your mind? We are a defiant no right now but when they are good they are sooooo lovely. Are you looking to buy eventually? Maybe a saving diary for deposit?

You can't beat a bit of cheesy beanos. It's gotta be white bread though. We normally only have brown/half and half in but I'd dp goes shopping and buys white I've got have beans on it! I hope your hubby gets better soon. It's no fun cooking a posh dinner just for yourself either. Take the easy route and save the man hours over the oven x
    OD 0 C Card 0% 2212.20 Now:672 Loan4540.84 Now:3378.90 Familyloan 900 Now:1000 Next: 49Now 10 DFS 1017 Now:462.50
    • Lau0707
    • By Lau0707 7th Apr 17, 11:12 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    Lau0707
    The way my boys play together is wonderful, and they were with our baby nephew last August and it was just so gorgeous! So we then decided lol. 3 years we were a NO! Our plans for this year are America next month, baby in september than lapland in December. So no saving this year. However as defaults fall off my CF this year, or start to.. Next year we plan to save, as for 2019. Then 2020 I would like to buy. But all these small money swaps and changing are so crucial for the future!

It was white bread, with melted butter... mmmmmm
    Exactly that! Have a wonderful weekend lovely.
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 9th Apr 17, 9:14 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    I was all about the butter with the boys too. Buttery toast would settle my sickness. Sounds like you have a lovey year planned! The small changes really do add up when you times the monthly savings by 12.

Soooooo looks like we're going to be savings lots of money....DS1 has woken up with pox so all our days out have been swapped for quarantine and scratching. DP is going to work his holiday days and move them back a few weeks. X
    • Lau0707
    • By Lau0707 9th Apr 17, 11:17 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    Lau0707
    We've had a fairly expensive weekend, well... for me anyway. 120 down, new trainers for the boys, food, BBQ, stuff I look back upon and think, We really didn't need that ;'(

But, day one again tomorrow. I always find my downfalls are weekends I get so bored when hubby is home and just want to go out with him! I've been driving myself insane this weekend looking at houses, and realising we're 2-3 years away from actually achieving it.. everything happens for a reason though!

Oh no!! hope he is ok, at least you can save your holidays for when he is better!

Quietish week for us this week, but rather expensive as its bill week; council tax, rent, phones, water etc.. so I'll be trying to be as Savvy as I can lol. xxx
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 13th Apr 17, 8:10 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Payday whoop.....oh wait I'm on maternity leave all money moved around to where it belongs. A friend has heard from hr re the extra mat pay apparently were not due any and the artixsl that was released just made it sound like that when really all it means is the money will come from the company instead of the government now. I'm waiting for someone to contact me to discuss it but I went on mat leave a similar time to my friend so guessing I'm not intitled either boo.

Very quiet few days at home my shingles flared back up and I'm on some tablets now to help it but I've been so tired I've been in bed by 8 every night. DP keeps his 4 days off to look after us all. It was lovely having him here helping with the daily routine at home and getting a few of the larger jobs tackled. Ds's pox have all scabbed over now so just waiting for them to heal now. He's been so good he didn't scratch ones. Waiting for ds2 to wake up with them now.

My mse credit report updated and it's gone up a few so now I'm classed as good whoop my disposable income rating isn't great though which is worrying as I know this is a big part of a mortgage application these days. I need to look into how we can improve this. We will be putting quite a bit into savings this month will that be classed as desposable income? As once we have a mortgage what we save will essentially become desposable income? Does anyone have any tips? Thinking maybe if we put a buffer amount in mine and dp's accounts so where as now we keep our pockets money and spend until the accounts near at 0 if we keep it +100 if that makes sense

I have a big tesc0 shop coming this morning I will update sig today as I want to track food and petrol spends as this is always where we go over and I don't know that I've budgeted enough. We shall see. My car is full of diesel from the zoo trip that didn't happen so I'll include that in this months spend as it'll be used this month.

Chilled out day at home again today. Dp's late shift so my mum is coming to help with bedtime. DP is picking up a baby walker for 10 on his way home I need somewhere in the kitchen for ds2 while I cook,wash up etc. I love that you can get everything baby related soo easily on facebook now. A new walker would have been 50 ish and they only use them for a few months. Madness. We were meant to hvw family over Sunday for an egg hunt and roast but I've cancelled as DS is still spotty and my sister has a baby also the doctor told me to rest so to prevent the shingles returning so I'm going to make a effort to just enjoy the simple life which should save me money too. I need to order new tweezers as mine have vanished ooh I also ordered new pillows as we got hard ones a while back and I'm wondering if that's not helping my neck. I may put some money in my betting account too as that was quite fun. Maybe 10 then use 2.50 a week.

Right best get DS2 down to sleep and get dressed ready for my food order. X
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 17th Apr 17, 7:15 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Pretty quiet week with all of us being poorly from something or another but we managed a small trip out today so feel I should cheeky in moneywise to keep me behaving.

5 spent in Tesco on milk bananas and reduced flowers for me and my mum she really help today bless her. Took 20 cash out as we were heading to an ice cream parlour spent about 12 which included a big tub to bring home for DP to keep him sweet.

I hvw 8 left in my purse I think another trip to the doctors is on the cards tomorrow for me and DS2 so we'll take a little trip to the cake shop after and I may meal plan and see if we need any veggies or fruit picking up. Then Wednesday is dp's day off I have physio in the afternoon so will need parking money and as he'lll be home alone for the afternoon with the boys for the first time guessing it'll be a quiet morning just at home. I may treat us to a take away Thursday after his late shift as I haven't really spent a lot. This will leave about 40 pocket money a week until next payday which is more than enough.

DP picked up a buggy board for 25 today on his way to work. I love how you can pick up just about anything baby related on facebook for a fraction of the price and locally! We took the cash from our day out box but I've listed a few baby bits and bobs today that we no longer need so I'll throw whatever money I make back into the pot for a rainy day.

Think that's all money wise to report. Waiting for preschool to start back to get aprils bill but it should be a lot smaller as he's hardly been there this month. Then I need to go through figures again and see where we're at and if we'll make it to dp's payday or if I'll need to move some money around.

Right off to help DP eat his ice cream. X
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 19th Apr 17, 1:10 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Quick pop in.

I've been keeping an eye on Rightmove just to get a feel for what we can afford in different areas near us and there was a house that came up that was perfect and soooo cheap. It's really made us want to just crack on and buy asap. DP has contacted his step dad again about the money he has tied up in the house they own. I told him about my secret saving stash and he said it was a nice idea but to use it to cover the gap in the bills account this month so we can bank all his extra wages and get there sooner. I'll still keep that account open and save bits where I can I think then it's there for the short months instead of me just thinking I have spare cash for a take away etc. Nearly one week to his payday and I'm hoping our savings will be over 2000 eeek we will get there!!!

Just getting the boys down then I'm off to physio for my neck. The shingles has caused such problems with it hoping they can advice what to do. It's free as the doctor referred me.

Ah damn just remembered the 120 filling I need! I really don't want a metal one at the bottom it's money well spent right?!?

Right best get sorted to leave. He's not had the boys after a afternoon yet and DS2 won't take a bottle and feeds every couple of hours so I really hope my apponinemt isn't running late or I dread to think what I'll come home too!
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 21st Apr 17, 7:59 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Not much to report but I feel like it's been a few days so I'll have a babble and get it off my brain.

Few bits and bobs moved around and savings are now up to 1500
    Hopefully once DP gets laid next week we can have 2000 even with the money put aside for my filling. Fingers crossed.

DP is due some vouchers from work they get them for different targets etc. 150 think should be on its way. We are wondering if we should use these for food shopping and general spending so there is more to save or stash them away for curtains etc when we move in. On one hand we need as much saved as soon as possible but on the other it would be nice to have some "free" money to treat ourselves to bits when we move in.....but then we'all never move in if we don't save up. I think I think to much!

Nice nsd here with a play date then a trip to the park. DS has been invtired to a party tomorrow luckily I have a nice puzzle stashed away I can use as a gift so it should be a nsd tomorrow too. DP is off Sunday but I have some meat I'll get out tomorrow and do a roast and have a chilled out day at home. Then it's 36 a week. I have t really made any plans I've enjoyed being a bit more home bound and chilling a little so we shall see.

Right best pop this sleeping baby down and hope he stays asleep log enough for me to bath. Doubtful he's a nightmare at the moment xx
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 24th Apr 17, 5:02 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Spendy spendy weekend oops!!!

At a party Saturday daytime with the boys then DS2 had the worst post condyfloss melt down which stressed me out so much I needed a take away 16 on a Chinese DS2 woke up twice while I was eating it so it wasn't reallythe relaxing treat I'd hoped for.

Dp's day off Sunday and we decided to go to prezzo as we had 40 Tesco vouchers for when we had to cancel mother day had to pay 10 ontop for drinks and tip but it was yum scrum and the boys both behaved so it was lovely. Bit of shopping for random bits for ds2 feeding equipment and snacks etc 20 then we came home and it was sunny so headed over to the social club which has outdoor seating at the park spent 17 but it was a lovey day and we haven't done anything like that in ages so I don't feel too bad. Leaves me pretty tight until payday but DP gets paid Friday so I may take a little of that ill see how my account is looking and what I have planned.

Lunch out tomorrow with my sister and dad. Hopefully won't be to much then DP is off Wednesday we have t decided what to do yet. Gonna have to be something cheap though that isn't so easy when the weather is crappy DS1 is still a bit spotty from pox three weeks ago so would feel like people would think it was wrong to take him swimming. We shall see.

X
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 25th Apr 17, 9:29 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    DS2 has woken up with the pox so we have cancelled today plans. It'll be another week of quarantine for me. Thinking dp can take DS2 swimming or soft play tomorrow to get him out for a bit. 65 left in the bank so thinking if I behave and don't get a takeaway this week I'll be able to do the next two weeks on 30 a week easily.

X
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 27th Apr 17, 10:15 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Morning,

DS1 is poorly now too cough and cold have flared up his asthma. So quiet day at home yesterday. DP popped to pick up some bits from Argos I'd ordered from the sales to stash away for party gifts and birthday etc.

Dp's payslip is now up and he gets paid tomorrow. I hadn't accounted for his student loan which took 114 now he's earning more . Does anyone know how he can track down a soa for this loan as he doesn't have a clue. We should be able to get the savings up to 2000 and still have the money aside for my filling so that's good . This saving just seems to be taking soooo long. I really don't think there is much more we can cut down payment wise though. I will find the time to do soa soon just to reassess.

X
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 28th Apr 17, 3:32 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    reality_check
    http://www.slc.co.uk/students-and-customers/loan-repayment/your-online-account.aspx

You will get the number on here to call and they will give you a reference number to log in and see how much you owe and it updates every month.

I hate when I have a good months commission as they take more off! Especially annoying for a degree I done nothing with – but that’s the story of my life with debt, nothing to show for it! xx
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 28th Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Hey Reality ditto on the student loan for DP and also our debt! At least we have meant the error in our ways now (hopefully). Thank you for the link I'll get him to check it later for me.

Having a nightmare with the payrol dep! I believe they have issued an incorrect document regarding mat allowance. Basically I think I'm due the equivalent off 13 weeks stat mat pay (1800) as they have mislead/misworded/I feel incorrectly issued new rules on mat pay. What the
    document states vs what their policy actually is. Waiting for a call back from the payrol manager which in a email stated would be this afternoon but as it's now gone 5pm wound happen until Tuesday earlies. Do I wait or complete an official complaint to her in an email? Am I entitled to ask for what i believe they have stated would happens vs what their actual policy is? Aghhh brain ache!!
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 29th Apr 17, 12:02 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    reality_check
    Sounds like a nightmare. I'm trying to sort out maternity pay in work and nobody has a clue!! We used to have an HR team but now they don't exist and you email god knows who or call them up and they are so unhelpful! For a big well known company that I work for they are a joke!! I am trying to get my maternity pay spread into equal instalments to help me budget. 6 months full an 3 months half but want 9 months of the same salary. I would just send the email, no harm...I don't know if you are entitled to it, but I would go for it anyway, worse can come back is no! xx
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 29th Apr 17, 1:50 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Could you get the mat pay the way the company is suggesting then work out on a spreadsheet of your own how much you want to have each money? Open a new saving account then place any extra in the to top up your pay at the end of your leave when pay drops? This way you'll earn a little interest on the money and it'll also be a good test of your will power and budgets skills?

Soooo DP is paid whoop! We have 2007 in the savings yay!!! I need to do a bit more math but think I will have to use some for my dentist treatment! Boo! I have a few more bits DS2 has put grown pram carry got, puddle pod etc so think I'll get them up for sale and hopefully it won't be too much coming out. If I could make 50-60 we could still keep savings over 2000

Food and petrol for the month are creeping up I thought we needed 360 a month but at 300 now both cars won't need petrol before next payday but we could do with a top up shop so I'll meal plan from the cupboards and hopefully we can make it on budget. It feels like we've been scrimping on food but I think the reality of it is we've been eating rubbish quick meals as both boys have been poorly for so long so it's been convenience. DS2 is still so poorly and clingy it'll be beans on toast for me for dinner DP is going out to watch boxing after helping get the boys to bed so I've told him he will have to grab a mc's or something on the way. He's driving so won't be driving so it should be a cheap night for him anyway.

Just having a brew while the boys are both napping! I love it when I manage to align their sleeps. After my brew I'll have a rummage through cupboards and freezer and make a meal plan and shopping list.

My mum is having us over for lunch either tomorrow or Monday bless her she knows non of my friends have really been wanting to see me the last o th with both boys taking it it turns to get pox so she knows I'm getting a little cabin fever. I'll do the top up shop on the way to hers when we go.

DP still needs to check this studen loan I'll let him have tonight off then nag him again. Also he's set up the tax free child care and they took the first payment yesterday so we need to get on it and find the school ready for the next payment. Has anyone used this scheme before or website? DP is struggling to link up to ds's school. Also they took 120 does that me we have that in an account to transfer to the school when we receive the bill? And if there is too much the rest remain there until next month? If we don't have enough can we top up? I'm guessing it would just be two payments made to the school one from that account and one from our account? (Thanks in advance if anyone knows the answers)

I've been following a football tipster with a 10-1000 bet basically you start with 10 place it on easy to predict games then What ever you win you rebet u told you hit 1000 well I've decided to put 10 in my betting account a month and have a play around. Started with 1 in the intention of earning 100 because I was scared ha ha today's bet could win me 55 eek! We shall see.

Right off to enjoy my brew x
    • cms-help
    • By cms-help 30th Apr 17, 12:20 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    cms-help
    Also he's set up the tax free child care and they took the first payment yesterday so we need to get on it and find the school ready for the next payment. Has anyone used this scheme before or website? DP is struggling to link up to ds's school. Also they took 120 does that me we have that in an account to transfer to the school when we receive the bill? And if there is too much the rest remain there until next month? If we don't have enough can we top up? I'm guessing it would just be two payments made to the school one from that account and one from our account? (Thanks in advance if anyone knows the answers)
    Originally posted by hannahroberts1985
    When we set ours up we had to get an account number from our nursery and tell the voucher scheme administrator which account to send the money to. We automatically transfer so don't have to remember to do anything manually as ours is quite strict on payment deadlines. It's not the employer that pays the childcare bill directly; it's the third party voucher scheme administrator that needs the information as to where you want the funds sent.
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 1st May 17, 4:26 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Thank you cms help. The lady at school keeps telling me there is nothing more to do their end but we are the first people to use it so I'll try asking her again.

I over spent on shopping today. Wrote a list but but didn't really included lunches or treats on it so spent 77 instead of 50 oops! That's the food account 10 over what I thought we need and I think DP has put petrol in from his pocket money. We will probably need another 10 top up shop before payday too so I think I need to just up this budget.

Been feeling like this debt and house saving will last forever then I stumbled across a bucket list I made years ago! I haven't done many of the trips etc I'd planned but be debt free is on there and so is have children so I guess I'm just in a stage of it that takes time to get completed so I'm happy with that. I'd love to start saving when we've brought a house and do a few special adventures a year with the boys. X
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

270Posts Today

1,755Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin