Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ozlem
    • By ozlem 15th Jun 16, 7:19 PM
    • 37Posts
    • 6Thanks
    ozlem
    Where can I get cheap Advocate online for my cat without prescription?
    • 15th Jun 16, 7:19 PM
    Where can I get cheap Advocate online for my cat without prescription? 15th Jun 16 at 7:19 PM
    Where can I get cheap Advocate online for my cat without prescription?It looks like I need a prescription in which case I'm better off buying it from the vet anyway.
Page 2
    • veenee
    • By veenee 6th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    veenee
    Same reason us humans can't stroll up to our local chemist and just ask for medicine you'd need a GP's prescription for. A lot of these medications contain potent chemicals, and may not be suitable for every animal. The idea is that the person who prescribes the medication knows a little of your animal's background to ensure it's safe for them. Even the online vet pharmacies will ask a few basic questions to check the suitability of the medicine for your animal.
    Originally posted by Cuilean
    I am a bit too cynical to believe it.

Vet does not do any extra examinations if you decide to go for Advocate or ask for prescription.

It is just the way to get more money from all of us - as vets and Bayer got themselves a perfect deal here...
    Last edited by veenee; 06-09-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    • veenee
    • By veenee 6th Sep 17, 11:19 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    veenee
    Instead of illegally importing prescription drugs from overseas, why not just buy Advantage the UK?

Advantage contains the same ingredient (imidacloprid) for fleas as Advocate, but is non-prescription.

Combine it with Drontal for the worms, job done.

None of the faffing about, and no laws broken.
    Originally posted by Shoshannah
    Kind of - but Advantage is not effective against ticks, so if you worry about them, you have to get another solution.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 6th Sep 17, 11:34 AM
    • 10,251 Posts
    • 9,309 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    Your cat needs a lawyer..?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 6th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 3,576 Posts
    • 2,657 Thanks
    sheramber
    the vet should do the same examination before issuing a prescription or giving out Advocate.

He must ensure the treatment is suitable for the animal and that you are capable of using it correctly.

He is required to see your pet at regular intervals when prescribing any treatment.

Combining getting a prescription for something with annual checkup /boosters can save an extra consultation fee.

Vets cannot buy in bulk as online sellers can. They are restricted to buying for specific suppliers and can only buy in accordance with what they will use before the sell by date is reached on the product they stock.

Importing drugs from abroad requires an import licence. iF your order is intercepted by Customs you are liable to a fine and won't get your order.
    • Shoshannah
    • By Shoshannah 7th Sep 17, 6:30 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    Shoshannah
    Kind of - but Advantage is not effective against ticks, so if you worry about them, you have to get another solution.
    Originally posted by veenee
    Advocate doesn't treat ticks.
    • veenee
    • By veenee 8th Sep 17, 10:16 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    veenee
    Advocate doesn't treat ticks.
    Originally posted by Shoshannah
    you're absolutely right! I don't know why I assumed it did.

another reason to give it a miss then
    • Energize
    • By Energize 12th Sep 17, 12:07 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    Energize
    I am a bit too cynical to believe it.

Vet does not do any extra examinations if you decide to go for Advocate or ask for prescription.

It is just the way to get more money from all of us - as vets and Bayer got themselves a perfect deal here...
    Pretty much, when you see a private doctor you don't get charged extra for a prescription.

The prescription is being written on the patients time during the consultation they have paid for so there should be no extra charge, but the vets want to gouge money out of patients by getting them to buy it at their ridiculously marked up prices.
    • Shoshannah
    • By Shoshannah 12th Sep 17, 10:42 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    Shoshannah
    Did you know that the price veterinary practices pay for many medications from wholesalers is more than the price online pharmacies sell them for?

Practices could sell many drugs at cost price and still not beat the online prices.
    • Shoshannah
    • By Shoshannah 12th Sep 17, 10:45 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    Shoshannah
    That would make more sense if either veterinary practices or Bayer determined which medications need prescriptions and which do not.

In reality, it's a completely separate regulatory government body that does. You can blame the VMD if you're going to blame anyone.
    • aussie in wales
    • By aussie in wales 13th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    aussie in wales
    I think the main difference between Advocate and Advantage is that Advocate treats ear mites. My cat was also a stray and is prone to getting these so I have to stick with Advocate.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,416Posts Today

6,125Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin