Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ozlem
    • By ozlem 15th Jun 16, 7:19 PM
    • 37Posts
    • 6Thanks
    ozlem
    Where can I get cheap Advocate online for my cat without prescription?
    • 15th Jun 16, 7:19 PM
    Where can I get cheap Advocate online for my cat without prescription? 15th Jun 16 at 7:19 PM
    Where can I get cheap Advocate online for my cat without prescription?It looks like I need a prescription in which case I'm better off buying it from the vet anyway.
Page 1
    • krlyr
    • By krlyr 15th Jun 16, 7:26 PM
    • 5,776 Posts
    • 11,911 Thanks
    krlyr
    • 15th Jun 16, 7:26 PM
    • 15th Jun 16, 7:26 PM
    Nowhere legally, it's a POM (prescription-only medication) hence the need for a prescription.

You could either source from a company that evades regulation (e.g. operating abroad) and run the risk of other dodgy practices (counterfeits, out of date products, etc.), or you could look to source an alternative non-POM medication that will do the job. Advantage, for example, is similar to Advocate, though doesn't cover lungworm.

Have you asked your vet what their prescription charge is? They may be able to prescribe several months at a time and still make the savings worthwhile. The RCVS does not state a maximum prescription charge for vets, but state it must be "reasonable" (i.e. not made so high it stops people getting prescriptions). If your local vet seem pricey, you could ask around other vets locally.
    • Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 15th Jun 16, 7:58 PM
    • 2,729 Posts
    • 4,140 Thanks
    Beckyy
    • 15th Jun 16, 7:58 PM
    • 15th Jun 16, 7:58 PM
    As above.

Ask how much your vet charges for a prescription, make a note of the prices beforehand and then work out if it's cheaper to buy online with the prescription fee/possible cashback or directly from the vet.
    • ozlem
    • By ozlem 16th Jun 16, 7:12 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ozlem
    • 16th Jun 16, 7:12 AM
    • 16th Jun 16, 7:12 AM
    sounds like I am better off sticking with the vet. They charge £10 for prescription. My cat is a stray cat so I prefer best products with reasonable prices:-)
    • gettingready
    • By gettingready 21st Jun 16, 9:54 PM
    • 10,859 Posts
    • 16,223 Thanks
    gettingready
    • 21st Jun 16, 9:54 PM
    • 21st Jun 16, 9:54 PM
    Geta prescription from the vet for 6 months supply - order from a reputabe pet pharmacy like:

www.animeddirect.co.uk

www.vetuk.co.uk

It will be much cheaper
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 30th Jun 16, 4:31 PM
    • 6,155 Posts
    • 7,923 Thanks
    pinkteapot
    • 30th Jun 16, 4:31 PM
    • 30th Jun 16, 4:31 PM
    Sounds like your vet is like ours - the price to write a prescription (if you don't want to have them fill it) is exactly enough to make prescription plus online drug cost = cost of the drug from the vet.
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 30th Jun 16, 4:44 PM
    • 4,813 Posts
    • 10,953 Thanks
    Money maker
    • 30th Jun 16, 4:44 PM
    • 30th Jun 16, 4:44 PM
    Mine charges £12 for a prescription but if I remember rightly, charged about £48 for the Advocate I want when I could buy for around £20 online. Still worked out cheaper £30 v £48.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 30th Jun 16, 8:13 PM
    • 8,221 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 30th Jun 16, 8:13 PM
    • 30th Jun 16, 8:13 PM
    Oh for the days when online prescriptions were free.

The idea was to help online businesses build up their customer base, but the way that vets are constantly increasing script charges it will soon be of no advantage to buy online and the businesses will be back to square one. (Our vet now charges a high fee for the first, compared with the post-freebie one, then slightly less for subsequent ones, for the same treatment).
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 1st Jul 16, 10:01 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 3,888 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    • 1st Jul 16, 10:01 PM
    • 1st Jul 16, 10:01 PM
    Then don't buy prescription only flea/worming treatment. Nothing wrong with the old tried and tested drugs that are available online very cheaply.

I own a 45kg GSD and my annual bill for flea/tick/worm treatment is approx £25 which I believe is what some vets charge just to write out a prescription!
    • ozlem
    • By ozlem 2nd Jul 16, 10:22 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ozlem
    Mine charges £12 for a prescription but if I remember rightly, charged about £48 for the Advocate I want when I could buy for around £20 online. Still worked out cheaper £30 v £48.
    Originally posted by Money maker
    I cannot find £20 one online? how many treats?
    • ozlem
    • By ozlem 2nd Jul 16, 10:24 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ozlem
    Then don't buy prescription only flea/worming treatment. Nothing wrong with the old tried and tested drugs that are available online very cheaply.

I own a 45kg GSD and my annual bill for flea/tick/worm treatment is approx £25 which I believe is what some vets charge just to write out a prescription!
    Originally posted by Feral Moon

Well as it's a stray cat I want him to have the best treatment as he is out a lot.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 2nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 3,888 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Well as it's a stray cat I want him to have the best treatment as he is out a lot.
    Originally posted by ozlem
    What do you call the "best treatment"? Do you think spending more money will guarantee more success?

For a stray cat I would use a fipronil based treatment to deal with fleas and Drontal or equivalent to treat for worms.

For example:

http://www.vet-medic.com/flea-treatments-c91/fiprospot-spot-on-for-cats-p7551

http://www.vet-medic.com/wormers-c111/cazitel-cat-single-tablet-p10928
    • ozlem
    • By ozlem 2nd Jul 16, 10:52 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ozlem
    [QUOTE=Feral Moon;70932591] Drontal is no choice for me really as I find it hard to give him tablets:-((
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 2nd Jul 16, 11:15 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 3,888 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Drontal is no choice for me really as I find it hard to give him tablets:-((
    Originally posted by ozlem
    Then maybe you'd be better off with Droncit which is a spot-on wormer.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-worming-cat-worming-droncit-and-droncit-spot-on-c-17_26
    Last edited by Feral Moon; 03-07-2016 at 3:40 PM.
    • whydoineedone
    • By whydoineedone 1st Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    whydoineedone
    Adviocat flea treatment
    I imported mine from Australia where they don't need a prescription. I always get it that way and the cats have been fine. My vet wants £13 just for filling out a prescription, plus have had seen the animal within the past year (or there would also be a consultation fee), plus each pipette is £11! Much cheaper to get it from abroad. Just going to do it again but can't remember the name of the website before I typed this, otherwise I'd give it. Need to Google it!
    • whydoineedone
    • By whydoineedone 1st Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    whydoineedone
    I mean Advocate.....
    • maisie06
    • By maisie06 3rd Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    maisie06
    Hopefully nowhere - this stuff is Prescrition only for a reason...
    • veenee
    • By veenee 4th Sep 17, 8:00 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    veenee
    OK - and what is the reason? ;-)
    • Cuilean
    • By Cuilean 5th Sep 17, 8:32 AM
    • 656 Posts
    • 1,297 Thanks
    Cuilean
    OK - and what is the reason? ;-)
    Originally posted by veenee
    Same reason us humans can't stroll up to our local chemist and just ask for medicine you'd need a GP's prescription for. A lot of these medications contain potent chemicals, and may not be suitable for every animal. The idea is that the person who prescribes the medication knows a little of your animal's background to ensure it's safe for them. Even the online vet pharmacies will ask a few basic questions to check the suitability of the medicine for your animal.
    © Cuilean 2005. Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.
    • Shoshannah
    • By Shoshannah 6th Sep 17, 10:33 AM
    • 627 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    Shoshannah
    Instead of illegally importing prescription drugs from overseas, why not just buy Advantage the UK?

Advantage contains the same ingredient (imidacloprid) for fleas as Advocate, but is non-prescription.

Combine it with Drontal for the worms, job done.

None of the faffing about, and no laws broken.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

1,995Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin