Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 15th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    • 11,101Posts
    • 45,359Thanks
    Dinah93
    The Ultimate Incentive muddles along
    • 15th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    The Ultimate Incentive muddles along 15th Jun 16 at 10:46 AM
    Part 12. I have now been limping around these forums for the best part of a decade. I cleared it all, it all came back. It was nearly gone again, and it's grown almost to the max again. Somehow nearing that £16k debt figure always signals a change in the winds, something happens to make our finances go in a better direction for a few months, but then we hit a bump, fall off the wagon, down a cliff and into the deep dark sea. As well as a few maternity leaves and redundancy the biggest bump these last few years has been NIMs depression, where we can have no wages coming into the house for months on end, but also no ability to contribute in other ways so that I can work or even so I can do some home based money making.

While the depression isn't in the best place right now, we are both committed to making it work as best we can, and my diary has always helped me, with the support and chatter of my amazing threadies. So, time to work out where we stand, and fill you in on what we plan to do about it.
    LBM 01/11/2016 MBNA £13181.21 £13309.61 Bcard1 £12402.89 £12679.10 BCard2 £1874.63 £2014.13
    Paid off £544.11/£28,002.84 (1.94%)

Met NIM 23/06/2008 Engaged 23/08/2009 Married 2010 Baby girl born 2012 - 12 weeks early Baby boy born 2014 - 11 weeks early
Page 6
    • Birdie85
    • By Birdie85 18th Oct 16, 9:03 AM
    • 9,282 Posts
    • 40,047 Thanks
    Birdie85

NIM got me into pokemon go too Birdie, never played/watched it when I was young, but I really like the idea of a game you can complete, and it's free and I can't afford WoW at the moment (in both money and time), unfortunately the best spots seem to be big tourist attractions and high streets! But it's getting me to put a loop in on the school run if I have any eggs near to hatching so that has to be a good thing.

Was one of your share shaves maturing soon that you were using to move house Birdie, or did I imagine that?
    Originally posted by Dinah93
    Not really, we've got some more coming out June '18, and then we should be getting a payout every year after that but we're only talking around a few thousand each time, not enough to sort out housing sitch in one fell swoop! Still not sure what to do, every year we think that we'll talk about moving next year, then we just keep pushing it back!

I started playing Pokemon too when it came out but got bored after I'd caught the two that were in my house Does it not use up all your data?
    Originally posted by Tete en l'Air
    I guess it does use a lot of data but I kept going over my allowance at one point and upped by contract to a huge data allowance so I don't need to worry about it... I did mention to DH that the phone companies must be loving it as they must be getting loads of people upping their contracts or going over their allowances!

It has actually encouraged me to walk more, as I'd gotten a bit lazy. Our little city has loads of Pokestops (we're just full of landmarks dontcha know!). DH has been known to walk 7km somewhat accidentally on a morning before going to work!

Kavics, Wendz and Tete, I'm sure that the right men are out there for you! You'll all so beautiful inside and out, it's only a matter of time before you find someone who appreciates that.
    Overcome the notion that you must be ordinary. It robs you of the chance to be extraordinary!
    Goal Weight 140lb Starting Weight: 160lb Current Weight 145lb
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 18th Oct 16, 9:12 AM
    • 6,985 Posts
    • 24,469 Thanks
    wendz86
    We started playing pokemon and Poppy quite liked it but we got bored as well.

I'm looking at going on holiday abroad next year. I was given shares in my company earlier this year which i can cash in and i haven't been abroad since 2014. Need to try and persuade someone to come with me as i think being on my own with the girls would be a bit lonely.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 18th Oct 16, 9:48 AM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 24,965 Thanks
    Cinny91
    It's so nice seeing everyone posting again, feels like we've gone back in time!

I hope you like the book. It breaks things down in a way Martin Lewis never did, and it goes about things in a different way. The podcast is good day-to-day listening but he can get a tad preachy, which is a bit off putting.

Kavics, Wendz and Tete, I'm sure that the right men are out there for you! You'll all so beautiful inside and out, it's only a matter of time before you find someone who appreciates that.
    Originally posted by Birdie85
    This is exactly what I was going to say. You're all absolutely fantastic

Ruby, brace yourself! Photos of Oscar in Zach's old reindeer hat are on their way to Instagram. He looks a-fricken-dorable.

I'm so frustrated I can't get into Pokemon Go, I was so into pokemon when I was little. I'm even rewatching it on Netflix with Oscar and can remember some episodes word for word. It's probably the walking that's involved that's putting me off. I walk enough with Ryder!

Checked my bank this morning, have £22 left until Friday. Where does it all go?! I know I put £90 into savings, but there's £40 that just went *poof* over the weekend. Think I need to start a spending diary, I know £40 isn't a great deal but I'm so worried that all my extra wage will just vanish in the same way. And I've been all talk about "when I go back to work" and how I'll be so good with the money Have £860 to save before the 9th of December so it's all systems go. Or don't go, to the shops.

ETA: killin' it
    Last edited by Cinny91; 18-10-2016 at 9:59 AM.

House Deposit £18,275/20,000

Savings: £375/1000
    Weight loss 16/38lb GW: 150lb
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 18th Oct 16, 10:00 AM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 45,359 Thanks
    Dinah93
    Use your walks with Ryder to count towards pokemon? No need for second ones. Most of mine are just the school run! It has got me walking to doctors appointments (10 minutes drive, 55 minutes walk) and things though so that's good. But I drop my phone, a lot, which isn't so good!

One of my free bets has come through, which is fab, except the website is glitching on me so I can't actually use it, not so fab. Going to library playgroup this morning (walking distance, free entry, no opportunities to buy cake - full of win) then need to tidy up as it's only a bit messy but being Tuesday Grace's godmother is coming for tea so a quick 30 min whip around should make it a lot more presentable.

REALLY need to address Ben's Christening invites today, we're only 6 weeks away and no one knows it's on. Also need to send some sold ebay parcels but the garage key is on NIMs car keys and I keep forgetting to get it off him.
    LBM 01/11/2016 MBNA £13181.21 £13309.61 Bcard1 £12402.89 £12679.10 BCard2 £1874.63 £2014.13

Met NIM 23/06/2008 Engaged 23/08/2009 Married 2010 Baby girl born 2012 - 12 weeks early Baby boy born 2014 - 11 weeks early
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 18th Oct 16, 10:30 AM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 24,965 Thanks
    Cinny91
    I would but it's so difficult to get my phone out! I've got Ryder to watch, Oscar to chat to in his carrier, as well as making sure I don't fall over and break the baby.

Sounds like you're making major headway with everything again. It must feel good to feel like you're getting back on top of it I keep meaning to say that Ben has turned into one gorgeous toddler! Hope you manage to get the invites sorted.

• clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 18th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    • 5,902 Posts
    • 17,130 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    It's so nice seeing everyone posting again, feels like we've gone back in time!

I hope you like the book. It breaks things down in a way Martin Lewis never did, and it goes about things in a different way. The podcast is good day-to-day listening but he can get a tad preachy, which is a bit off putting.

This is exactly what I was going to say. You're all absolutely fantastic

Ruby, brace yourself! Photos of Oscar in Zach's old reindeer hat are on their way to Instagram. He looks a-fricken-dorable.

I'm so frustrated I can't get into Pokemon Go, I was so into pokemon when I was little. I'm even rewatching it on Netflix with Oscar and can remember some episodes word for word. It's probably the walking that's involved that's putting me off. I walk enough with Ryder!

Checked my bank this morning, have £22 left until Friday. Where does it all go?! I know I put £90 into savings, but there's £40 that just went *poof* over the weekend. Think I need to start a spending diary, I know £40 isn't a great deal but I'm so worried that all my extra wage will just vanish in the same way. And I've been all talk about "when I go back to work" and how I'll be so good with the money Have £860 to save before the 9th of December so it's all systems go. Or don't go, to the shops.

ETA: killin' it
    Originally posted by Cinny91

He's so fricken cute! Am loving all the chat on here
    Total debt (starting September 2016): €27,000/€26,949
    BOI credit card: €7,000
    Loan: €20,000/€19,949
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 18th Oct 16, 10:55 AM
    • 6,985 Posts
    • 24,469 Thanks
    wendz86
    He is so cute Cinny!

I haven't been great with my spending recently. Part of me thinks I should treat myself as I am on my own etc but i do need to be careful as money is going to be even more tight once my savings have been eaten into. I have been overpaid both housing benefit and tax credits so my amount on those has been cut a lot.
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 18th Oct 16, 10:58 AM
    • 5,902 Posts
    • 17,130 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    He is so cute Cinny!

I haven't been great with my spending recently. Part of me thinks I should treat myself as I am on my own etc but i do need to be careful as money is going to be even more tight once my savings have been eaten into. I have been overpaid both housing benefit and tax credits so my amount on those has been cut a lot.
    Originally posted by wendz86
    Where are you thinking of going on holidays Wendz? Before this year we hadn't been on a holiday abroad for 4 years. To feel the sun against my skin was amazing.
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 18th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 6,985 Posts
    • 24,469 Thanks
    wendz86
    Looking at maybe canary islands. Want to go in the easter school hols as want to go before Heidi turns two ( save money) so has to be somewhere vaguely warm . Looks like it is around 24 during the day which would be perfect for the kids.
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 18th Oct 16, 11:11 AM
    • 5,902 Posts
    • 17,130 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Looking at maybe canary islands. Want to go in the easter school hols as want to go before Heidi turns two ( save money) so has to be somewhere vaguely warm . Looks like it is around 24 during the day which would be perfect for the kids.
    That weather sounds perfect. Would your Mum go with you? It would definitely be very intense with two little ones on your own. Any more thoughts on moving nearer family or has that been put on the back burner?
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 18th Oct 16, 11:15 AM
    • 6,985 Posts
    • 24,469 Thanks
    wendz86
    I'm hoping I can persuade my Mum and maybe Dad.

It's still an option to move but will be waiting till around May-July time. I have to give two months notice with my job and house. I still can't make sense of money as the amount i get seems to change all the time. Hopefully it will settle down and i can work it all out.
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 18th Oct 16, 11:19 AM
    • 5,902 Posts
    • 17,130 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    I'm hoping I can persuade my Mum and maybe Dad.

It's still an option to move but will be waiting till around May-July time. I have to give two months notice with my job and house. I still can't make sense of money as the amount i get seems to change all the time. Hopefully it will settle down and i can work it all out.
    That would be lovely if your Mum and Dad were able to go.

It must be so frustrating with the money changing all the time.
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 18th Oct 16, 2:05 PM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 45,359 Thanks
    Dinah93
    Our holidays this year are here in January for a week, and here in August for 2 weeks. I am immensely excited by both - we've slowly worked out the kind of holidays we like, which can be summed up as independent adventure I guess - see new places but make sure we have a car to explore.

Few more bets placed but definitely at the wall until some of them settle tonight.

Anyone remember my first diary? I think I cleared over £100 a debt a day on average. Sorely tempted to set myself a crazy target, I'm thinking maybe £50 a day? Obviously allowed to average this out over say the month. So trying to clear £1500 a month? Seems high enough to be motivating, without being so high it's nearly impossible.

• Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 18th Oct 16, 2:42 PM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 24,965 Thanks
    Cinny91
    A monthly target sounds good! I was thinking about all those little things we all had time to do in the first diaries. Like DooYoo! I still remember how you'd sell books for what worked out to be a few pence but did it because it was better than nothing.

Have you seen the NST challenge? I'm tempted to try it next month. Thread is here

• archersluck
    • By archersluck 18th Oct 16, 8:23 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 2,215 Thanks
    archersluck
    Everyone's back! This is lovely, especially as we all sounds so positive.

You've reminded me of pokemon, I think I needed to update it and then totally forgot about it.
    Love the holiday chat too, both look amazing Dinah. We've about booked our honeymoon to Japan, with 4 nights in Dubai on the way to do nothing but lie by a pool in the dessert. Never been somewhere that appealed but it'll do the job!

Because we're nuts we've decided to leave Scotland and head back to Yorkshire 4 months before our wedding, my new job is sorted but OH is having a bit of trouble which is nervewracking. Fingers crossed...

Saving for a deposit: £11,621.15
    20/25lbs
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 18th Oct 16, 9:11 PM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 45,359 Thanks
    Dinah93
    No spend day has gone badly wrong. £22 on ballet fees, £7.48 in Sainsburys when I only went in for butter and milk (ended up getting spread as well, and Ben grabbed a pizza and said 'like pizza' then legged it towards the door... so I bought that. Also bought some Avon from a friend the other day (stocking filler bits rather than make up mostly) as she's just starting up and is going through a horrendous time with ill parents, so that was another £24.50. Won't be ordering again, or certainly not in that quantity. Finally I just had to spend £28.98 on a new home phone, needed one with an answering machine which is why it was twice the price of a basic phone, but still it was the cheapest one I could fine. Home phone has had very iffy green and red buttons for the last week or two, but today the red button gave up entirely, which lead to a wildly dysfunctional conversation with the blood donation recruiter, where I tried to get her to hang up on me, and she wouldn't, but I couldn't hang up on her, very teenage relationship 'no you hang up' angst.

• Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 19th Oct 16, 8:35 AM
    • 6,584 Posts
    • 29,217 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    Ooh whereabouts are you moving to Archers? Are you from Yorks originally, I forget? How exciting to go to Japan! Thailand etc has never really appealed to me (I mean, it HAS, but it's not at the top of my list) but Japan has!

Holidays look fab Dinah, I assume they're all paid for, so if you start now and budget your spends then I don't think you need to be overly worried about taking them and they'll do you the world of good. I've never used airbnb before but we're planning on it for Budapest. I love just going on the site and noseying round people's homes though (Just me?)

I was about to reproach you for letting Ben get away with demanding a pizza, but the cat is sitting here looking at me waiting for her third breakfast and I know I'll relent, so...

I feel like absolute carp this morning. I've had a sore throat since getting home but it's blown up into full on dry sinuses which sounds like nothing but is actually really painful. I had wanted to sit and look through all my finances today but the only other thing I had planned was seeing my granny so I might just sack both off and go back to bed. One of the perks of unemployment surely?

Hope everyone else is OK today xx
    Get Slinky for Santa Challenge: 3/11 (7/40 in total)
    *Currently reading: H is for Hawk (18/25 in 2016)
    My 'Life Begins at 35' diary *click*
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 19th Oct 16, 9:30 AM
    • 6,985 Posts
    • 24,469 Thanks
    wendz86
    Honeymoon sounds lovely Archers. Eek to moving but hopefully your OH will get a new job soon.

I always seem to do the go to shop to buy milk and end up spending loads. I am way too soft on Poppy when she asks for things.

I had parents 'evening' yesterday afternoon. Was a waste of time as took the afternoon off work then the creche they set up wasn't open on time so i was late for my appointment and only got a couple of minutes. I am not worried about her so all OK. She lacks a bit of confidence in herself but I can see myself she has improved a lot in her reading etc since starting year 1 so hopefully this will keep going.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 19th Oct 16, 10:03 AM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 24,965 Thanks
    Cinny91
    Your honeymoon sounds lovely, Archers! I'm sure your OH will find a job soon, will be one less worry. Is that where you'll be buying a home?

We looked at Airbnb for going to London but settled on a hotel we went to in Westminster before. Didn't stop me looking purely to snoop in peoples homes, however.

Oh no! Hope you're feeling better soon Tete, I always skip going to my Grandparents if I'm ill because I don't want to pass it on. A cold (one they actually gave to me) only took me a week to get over but they had it lingering for a month!

Sounds like a very expensive day, Dinah I'm being tight af with Christmas this year (as you mentioned stocking fillers!) Even poor Oscar isn't getting much, I'm getting him a hardback of The Polar Express and then we're picking him a toy out but (as Birdie will know!) his birthday is so close to Christmas I don't want him getting a wave of toys and being overwhelmed with stuff in the space of 2 months.

Speaking of Oscar, I had the shock of my life when I discovered once he's out of his current size (9-12 months) we're out of stuff! So I'm keeping my eye out in sales to get 12-18 month things. I never thought this day would come

ETA: I'm dreading parents evenings when they start, Wendz! That's so annoying they ballsed up the times, but at least she's doing well. You must be proud in how she's coming on
    Last edited by Cinny91; 19-10-2016 at 10:09 AM.

• wendz86
    • By wendz86 19th Oct 16, 10:15 AM
    • 6,985 Posts
    • 24,469 Thanks
    wendz86
    There's definitely not a lot of point in spending a lot of point in spending loads on him Cinny. I'm sure he will be really spoiled by your family as well. Heidi has a ridiculous amount of stuff , as she has all Poppy's old toys too so i won't be getting her much. I say that and will probably end up buying more and then regretting it as she gets so much from the massive family!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,755Posts Today

9,650Users online

Martin's Twitter