Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 15th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    • 11,101Posts
    • 45,359Thanks
    Dinah93
    The Ultimate Incentive muddles along
    • 15th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    The Ultimate Incentive muddles along 15th Jun 16 at 10:46 AM
    Part 12. I have now been limping around these forums for the best part of a decade. I cleared it all, it all came back. It was nearly gone again, and it's grown almost to the max again. Somehow nearing that £16k debt figure always signals a change in the winds, something happens to make our finances go in a better direction for a few months, but then we hit a bump, fall off the wagon, down a cliff and into the deep dark sea. As well as a few maternity leaves and redundancy the biggest bump these last few years has been NIMs depression, where we can have no wages coming into the house for months on end, but also no ability to contribute in other ways so that I can work or even so I can do some home based money making.

While the depression isn't in the best place right now, we are both committed to making it work as best we can, and my diary has always helped me, with the support and chatter of my amazing threadies. So, time to work out where we stand, and fill you in on what we plan to do about it.
    LBM 01/11/2016 MBNA £13181.21 £13309.61 Bcard1 £12402.89 £12679.10 BCard2 £1874.63 £2014.13
    Paid off £544.11/£28,002.84 (1.94%)

Met NIM 23/06/2008 Engaged 23/08/2009 Married 2010 Baby girl born 2012 - 12 weeks early Baby boy born 2014 - 11 weeks early
Page 5
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 15th Oct 16, 8:11 AM
    • 1,933 Posts
    • 6,679 Thanks
    tootallulah
    Hi Dinah, good to see you back I have been wondering how you are! I think you have understood your motivations very clearly and that will help you get out of debt. It is great that NIM is enjoying his job, I hope that his health improves soon. This is the best quarter for Ebaying (just saying). I do think the Dave Ramsey baby steps work, you might find that structure helpful. Well done on getting back into it all - not easy I know.
    Mortgage House £173,000 July17th 2016.
    • Littlebirdie
    • By Littlebirdie 15th Oct 16, 9:19 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Littlebirdie
    Hey, I just want to say I think you are doing brilliantly - your ploughing through despite the challenges. Keep going!
    Overdraft: £1650/£2000
    Aim to be cleared by October 16! July 2017
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 15th Oct 16, 9:37 PM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 45,359 Thanks
    Dinah93
    Thanks tootallulah and littlebirdie (is it weird my first thought on seeing your username was- Zach's grown up fast - already on MSE forums?!).

I would imagine it's the best quarter for new stuff on ebay in the run up to Christmas, not sure old stuff will go as well? I really want to de-clutter and de-debt all at once - BUT I've got this great track record of throwing myself in 10 different directions and then burning out entirely and spending the next week curled up around the laptop comfort shopping and eating ice cream. So I'm trying to be very logical. First steps - making a list of exactly what we owe while practically I need to finish painting Ben's room so he can move in. Then finish painting Grace's room once NIM is finished building it. Because at the moment everything is chaos, and getting them into their new rooms will mean their old room can become our study and as soon as I need to find something it will be right there, rather than hidden away in the attic.

A bit of time to achieve tomorrow but quite a bit of life admin to get out of the way, although saying that most of it is relating to getting more footfall into my classes so I suppose that's a very direct income earner.
    Address invitations
    Do kids yoga posters
    Harry Potter Lesson Plan
    Do freebie session poster
    Do tickets for rowing club event
    LBM 01/11/2016 MBNA £13181.21 £13309.61 Bcard1 £12402.89 £12679.10 BCard2 £1874.63 £2014.13

Met NIM 23/06/2008 Engaged 23/08/2009 Married 2010 Baby girl born 2012 - 12 weeks early Baby boy born 2014 - 11 weeks early
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 15th Oct 16, 9:46 PM
    • 1,933 Posts
    • 6,679 Thanks
    tootallulah
    Lists are good! All sorts sells in the run up to Christmas but getting sorted will make you fell more in control so I agree do that and then set some selling goals.

I am listing 5 items a day BIN or best offer and making between £110 to £150 per week for two hours work a day. It adds up fast and people will buy anything. I sell books on Amazon but that is slow. I am decluttering the excess contents from my second home which I sold. I use the EBay app which is a huge timesaver. I do a lot of listing on the train to work.
    Mortgage House £173,000 July17th 2016.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 16th Oct 16, 2:51 AM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 24,965 Thanks
    Cinny91
    You're back!!

First of all, so I don't forget, its profit accumulator I used!

It's always so great to see you come back ready to tackle your money situation, and I'm totally ready to cheer you on because the fight against parental sleep exhaustion is real and you need buckets of energy to take this on!

I will say that, especially now I'm a mum, I genuinely think free or cheap days out are the best. I've joined a mum's group where they meet for walks, or plan days out using discounts to make it cheaper which takes the brain work out for me!

Also a thing to consider, and maybe something that will keep you on the path, is that the way you are with money will massively impact how Grace and Ben are with it when they're older. Tootallulah mentioned Dave Ramsey and I think that would a perfect system for you, he also does something called "smart money, smart kids" which is something Rich and I talk about doing with Oscar fairly often but Grace is the perfect age to start that with. Sure you can get the book for free on an audible trial

Hope you're all having a nice weekend! We're off pumpkin picking in a few hours, I'm going to be so well rested and energised for it.. It's going to be great.

House Deposit £18,275/20,000

Savings: £375/1000
    Weight loss 16/38lb GW: 150lb
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 16th Oct 16, 11:24 AM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 45,359 Thanks
    Dinah93
    Maybe I need to run every purchase past you guys, get an aye or nay until I learn self control?!

Sleep exhaustion is used as a form of torture for a reason! Grace woke me at 2 yesterday FOR THE DAY - I could have sobbed. I think I possibly did when NIM got up at 6am when she sat on Ben and he screamed, waking up the whole postcode, and he said he'd get up with them so I could get some rest.

I think I'm screwed on the free days with friends, I seem to have a lot of very 'comfortable ' friends and every time we go out it's £20 for entrance at a minimum, or £40 for food if we go for a girls night - last time I literally had a starter and a side salad (£12) but my 1/3 of a bottle of wine still was nearly another £10. None of them are flash or pretentious, but as far as I know only me and one other really have to think about budgeting for trips like that.

Okay, I've heard Dave Ramsey mentioned enough to give it a go. Is it Total Money Makeover you'd recommend rather than Complete Money Guide? Just been on the library's online catalogue (never done this before - be proud - usually hitting Amazon is automatic) but my council don't have any of the books in their catalogue so Amazon it is. Will go second hand if it's cheaper though.

I have another confession, don't shoot me. We already have holidays booked for next year. Two of them. And 2 festivals (Yoga Connects/Deer Shed) Both booked through airbnb/easyjet so no refunds are possible. Both less than £50 a night accommodation but that's not really the point. I think this was part of my trigger of realizing the problem, I booked one of them on a complete impulsive whim after a hard conversation with a friend who was asking about Grace's ACD diagnosis, not being able to say with any conviction that 'it's been overturned' instead just saying 'we're assuming it was a flawed biopsy somehow as she shows no symptoms' makes my brain meltdown into what ifs. There have recently been a couple of older children getting lung transplants - one was 3 I think and the other 5 months, and while it's great news for the families, whenever I read something like this I feel like we'll never be out of the woods, always waiting for it to strike at a previously unheard of late age.

Kids party yesterday (bit of a shambles, one child in A & E needing stiches, Ben ended up with a freaking blue slushie on his head as he fell off his chair and walloped it but they had no ice except in the slushie machine....) then they went for a walk with nana and grandad while NIM and I cracked on with Grace's bed, only 2 sheets of mdf left to buy to finish it, and some drawer runners, so sub £40. And probably some more paint, oh heck and a pole for her wardrobe. And a mattress, but at least it's a standard single so shouldn't be overly expensive. What we did was get a rather ratty second hand set of bunk beds, and we're basically cladding it in mdf to look like a castle, and building a set of steps with drawers in them to replace the ladder as with Ben on the loose a set of steps seems much safer (and bonus storage).

I did make a useful contact at the party though, another BW yoga teacher, also a trainee, about to start teaching, but that's really really useful if I need cover for sickness/holidays etc, it's good to know lots of teachers you can call in a bind. She seemed absolutely lovely, and we're going to take our youngest to Forest school messy play one week as they're both the same age.

Today, NIM cracking on with the bed this morning while I entertain the bambinos. Grace and I went to junior parkrun last week, which was fun, but I'm majorly suffering with my knee again (those of you who have followed since the dark ages remember my 8 months off work, surgery, lots of physio that didn't get me where it should, first day off crutches being my wedding day etc... well it looks like I might be going down that road again, which is a complete headache when you rely on your body for your job.

Free gymnastics class this afternoon (usually £2.80 on a Monday, but she needed some warm bodies for assessing a new teacher) so NIM is taking the kids to that, then going for a playdate with one of her friends, so I'll be using that time to crack on with my list (as tempting as my book is - never normally take time out during the day but went to bed at 11 last night which is early for me, couldn't sleep at all, ended up reading until 2.30 and now I feel completely drawn into my book world and I'm only halfway through).

Pumpkin picking sounds brilliant, we've got a pumpkin patch nearly an hour away (where we went for the fairy festival) but hoping to get a nice half day in half term and I can take the kids up, pick a pumpkin, then stop in at NIMs work on the way back as Grace hasn't seen his new office yet (and it's 200m from the beach so can have a chilly autumn run if it's dry, maybe even a lemon top (which I guess wildly identifies which bit of the north we live in for anyone who doesn't already know! Never mind, this isn't mumsnet))

Starting a yoga playgroup soon, which looks like it might be quite popular, so I'm going to see if anyone on my local freebie site has some toys, foam mats etc to save buying as much as possible. I do need to buy some more mats though as I only have kids ones and need some adult ones.

So glad to have you back to chat with, don't think I realised how much I'd missed you all x
    Last edited by Dinah93; 16-10-2016 at 11:34 AM.

• FacelessNumber
    • By FacelessNumber 16th Oct 16, 12:10 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 1,469 Thanks
    FacelessNumber
    Good to see you back posting again! You can definitely do this, baby steps is probably the way forward!

• Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 16th Oct 16, 1:59 PM
    • 6,584 Posts
    • 29,217 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    Hello, nice to see you back petal! Have you ever had/thought about therapy to deal with your handling of Grace's diagnoses/uncertainties? Might help to process them in a way that won't have you reaching for the credit card.

Bed sounds ace, wish I were as handy! I've been trying to hang my own blinds and even got a handle on the drill, but couldn't drill deep enough holes for the rawl plugs because it's a window lintel and therefore made of kryptonite or something - halp!

Cinny what you say about parental attitudes to money is interesting because my parents were very very careful with money and never had any debt apart from the mortgage, yet I'm a total flibbertigibbet!

I just got back from hols yesterday. In the days before I went I was rushing cramming in an interview and a date, everything seemed to be moving in a promising direction. Date was a dud and I got home yesterday to job rejection, London marathon rejection, and a flat tyre However I am feeling raring to get organised - with money, with decorating, with decluttering, with health, and with trying to sort my life out in general. So will keep posting here if you do

Has anyone tried bullet journalling to keep on track with to do lists?

(Sorry for any typos, my gel nails have grown so long I can barely function!)
    Get Slinky for Santa Challenge: 3/11 (7/40 in total)
    *Currently reading: H is for Hawk (18/25 in 2016)
    My 'Life Begins at 35' diary *click*
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 17th Oct 16, 8:34 AM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 24,965 Thanks
    Cinny91
    I'd recommend the total money make over one, if you download his app he does daily radio shows that get condensed into 3 hour podcasts. It's free and you get the gist of it. Plus when people are finally debt free they call up to yell about it, it's a bit cheesy and totally American, but it's very motivating! There's a lot of material to read on the website too

Almost choked on thin air when I read some places are £20 to just get through the door but I still think of Grace and Ben being teeny tiny little tots, but they'll need their own ticket! Poor Oscar is going to have such a boring life after 2 when I decide I'm too cheap to go places

What Tete said about therapy sounds like it might be a good idea if you'd feel comfortable doing that kind of thing? You might also find some other underlying issues that you didn't realise. But just, like with everything, it's the cost!

Your holiday looked amazing, Tete! Oscar was so excited when I showed him a photo he tried to eat my phone. Sounds like a run of bad luck, but you sound so positive. Which is obviously fantastic.

Well, I'm back at work!! First thing I did was log onto MSE I have sandwiches, hot drinks that I can drink from whenever I like. Very novel. Will be posting as much as I can! We're on the final stretch to our house deposit goal, but with Christmas on the way I want to stay focused and not crack into our savings to fund my stollen habit.

• clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 17th Oct 16, 12:48 PM
    • 5,901 Posts
    • 17,129 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Absolutely delighted to see you back Dinah. I worry about you when you disappear!

Tete might be on to something there with counselling? It could really help. Also when OH went through a bout of depression (due to work) a couple of years ago he went to counselling and found it really helpful.

Not sure if we have less debt than you anymore. I am changing the sig over to euro as it's all euro now and we've put it up a bit as well due to extortionate motor insurance, motor tax and bin charges. So we'll probably be at a similar figure.

We also have 2 holidays booked for next year even though we shouldn't. One to Disneyland Paris as my brother is over visiting from Oz so we are all going and then my BIL is getting married in Spain in Oct 2017. But - we were contemplating a 3rd holiday. Just because! After reading your comeback thread I've shelved that as we need to just get rid of the debt and stop justifying the holidays. So thanks for that xx

Hi to everyone else
    Total debt (starting September 2016): €27,000/€26,949
    BOI credit card: €7,000
    Loan: €20,000/€19,949
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 17th Oct 16, 1:58 PM
    • 6,584 Posts
    • 29,217 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    Back at work already Cinny!! Enjoy those hot cuppas. Oh to have a job where you can check MSE and social media whenever you like, it's been many years since I could

CMD it must feel great to have all your debt in one currency now? Must have been annoying to still have some in £. Whereabouts is your brother getting married? Didn't you get married in Spain? I know I've only just had a holiday but I'm thinking about next year now too. My girls and I are talking about a 35th holiday to Budapest. Our 30th trip to NYC seems like yesterday still!! I'm also very tempted by a yoga retreat to Turkey on my own.

Jet lag still kicking me up the bum, didn't wake up til 12.30 today. My mind is willing to get started and get organised, but the body is just oh so confused.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 17th Oct 16, 3:00 PM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 24,965 Thanks
    Cinny91
    What are bin charges, CMD? Is it just a thing in Ireland? I heard a woman from Wales at baby group talking about nappy bin collections and I had a mild panic despite not even using disposables

Disneyland will be lovely! Are you staying at one of the park hotels? We're hoping to take Oscar in a few years, I say Paris will be easiest but OH wants to go big or go (stay?) home and go to Florida.

A yoga retreat sounds perfect, if you do go let me know how it is because it would be right up my Sister's street. I haven't even thought about holidays next year.. we're having a night in Birmingham in January to see a show If we don't get our finger out that might be it! But we're still saving, so the money isn't there for fun and until Oscar is 2/3 there's probably not much point anyhow.

• Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 17th Oct 16, 3:37 PM
    • 6,584 Posts
    • 29,217 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    I love how focused you always are Cinny!
    • Birdie85
    • By Birdie85 17th Oct 16, 4:25 PM
    • 9,282 Posts
    • 40,047 Thanks
    Birdie85
    Ooooh everyone's creeping back! Great to see some chat back on here!

Thanks tootallulah and littlebirdie (is it weird my first thought on seeing your username was- Zach's grown up fast - already on MSE forums?!).
    Originally posted by Dinah93
    LOL! He's getting big, but not that big yet!

Glad to see you facing up to some things and being more honest Dinah. Good luck with getting your head in the game, maybe going back to reporting your daily spends on here will help, and I think that actually running purchases past us will help. We might be able to talk you out of things, or help find alternatives/offers etc for things you do need?

Glad the kiddies are doing well. And that's the key, they are doing smashingly well so you do have to ease off the 'every day has to be an experience to remember' thing or you may find that they grow up to be... *gasp*...spoilt.

We're so tight with days out, they cost a blinking fortune. We have even taken to packing lunch and bringing it with us sometimes to justify the entrance fees.

Nerd alert: We have been playing Pokemon Go and it's been great as we've spent large chunks of the last godknowshowmany weekends wandering around various places in search of Pokemon, it's given us a reason to get out walking and it's cheap entertainment!

Glad you had a lovely holiday Tete, the photos were fab! Who did you go away with? Sorry you came back to a pile of poop, but onwards and upwards, eh?! I can't believe you're planning your 35th trip away, it's not been that long since NY!!!

I can't believe you're back at work already too Cinny! Where is all the time going?? I hope it's going OK despite the sleep deprivation!

So many more holidays planned! We just have one planned next May and paying it off is kicking us in the balls. We actually have my share save scheme paying out in December which will cover it but we stuck it on the CC (0% obvs) and DH is on a mission to pay it off so the money in December is 'spare' as it were, but it's meant that we've had a super annoyingly rubbishly tight summer. Add expensive car nonsense... urgh, I can't wait until next year so we're not coppering up at the end of the month. We get paid on Thursday and I can't wait!

I know where you're coming from with the 'comfortable' friends too... I've been doing a lot more social stuff with my work mates but considering 2 of the group are my direct manager and her manager, they're both earning considerably more than I do and think nothing of spending £30 on lunch, £100+ on an afternoon drinking cocktails and shopping in flash shops etc... it's tough. I keep trying to suggest cheaper things to do and it's so hard! I just want to shout at them that they know exactly how much I earn and I can't keep up with them! It's tough on a material level too as they're always turning up wearing lovely new things and I'm there in my £3.50 charity shop dress and 3 year old sale boots!

Tete- I love the look of bullet journalling and as much as I'd like to give it a go I know I won't be able to keep it up and I'd just get carried away spending a fortune on a pretty planner and pages and stickers etc... *sigh* I love stationery.
    Overcome the notion that you must be ordinary. It robs you of the chance to be extraordinary!
    Goal Weight 140lb Starting Weight: 160lb Current Weight 145lb
    • kavics17
    • By kavics17 17th Oct 16, 7:00 PM
    • 2,176 Posts
    • 6,335 Thanks
    kavics17
    Hello everyone,

Glad to see you all back.
    Dinah, i CAN't praise counselling enough, I had 6 months of intensive therapy when little Kavics turned 2 and finally I had to face my grief. It helped me enormously.

We have no Holidays booked, need to go back to the uk at one point next year and even though I want a seaside holiday I found it really tough just to be with Little kavics by myself when we went away this summer. It was lovely but bloody hard work, you can't switch off at all. Which is funny as we have been alone for so long now. She is going to be 4 in a month, can you believe it?

Money wise I'm doing well. Just thinking about redoing the flat, creating another bedroom and opening up the sitting room and kitchen. but keep changing my mind, not sure whether i should do it or just leave it as it is. I would need to spend about £10000, I have about half of it. Not sure if I should save up the other half or just go for it. My Mse brain says save, my heart says do it.

No men in our lives. Not sure where I'm going wrong. I don't even date anymore, i just don't have the opportunity to meet anyone.

Days out are expensive here as well, we usually go by the river and just see people go by, thankfully we both enjoy it.
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 17th Oct 16, 9:26 PM
    • 6,985 Posts
    • 24,469 Thanks
    wendz86
    Hi all,

Lovely to see you Dinah and everyone else.

I think putting your spends etc on here is a great idea Dinah. I think when you are telling people it makes you think about it more. Sounds like the job is going well and the private yoga is definitely a better option if you get paid more for less hours. Glad NIM is happy in his job too.

With the days out etc can you get a season ticket or something for somewhere you go most often as it might work out better and gives you somewhere to go without shelling out more.

I turn 30 next week and got some nice things planned including a spa trip away with two good friends so looking forward to that!

Kavics - know what you mean about it being hard to meet men. I looked at online dating but I just think I'm too fussy! I'm happy on my own for now anyway although wouldn't mind just bumping into the perfect bloke!
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 17th Oct 16, 11:52 PM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 45,359 Thanks
    Dinah93
    Hello, nice to see you back petal! Have you ever had/thought about therapy to deal with your handling of Grace's diagnoses/uncertainties? Might help to process them in a way that won't have you reaching for the credit card.

I have thought about it very recently, but it's a cost. I had counselling straight after her diagnosis but that was focused on the immediate issues (Anxiety, depression, GAD, PTSD are the diagnosis I remember, I do remember her saying she could put 8 or 9 on me without having to even think about it, which made me feel utterly useless!) but apparently those 6 sessions max me out for 5 years. Nice to know mental health fits neatly into a little box. My current thinking is I need to become as steadfastly focused on making money as I have been on spending it.... see today's update

Bed sounds ace, wish I were as handy! I've been trying to hang my own blinds and even got a handle on the drill, but couldn't drill deep enough holes for the rawl plugs because it's a window lintel and therefore made of kryptonite or something - halp!

Genuinely, NIM will come around and do it for you if you want, he's laid floors for friends, chased in new light switches and all sorts. He was talking about setting up a handyman sideline a while ago

I just got back from hols yesterday. In the days before I went I was rushing cramming in an interview and a date, everything seemed to be moving in a promising direction. Date was a dud and I got home yesterday to job rejection, London marathon rejection, and a flat tyre However I am feeling raring to get organised - with money, with decorating, with decluttering, with health, and with trying to sort my life out in general. So will keep posting here if you do

So glad you've kept the positivity on a terrible day - and you have yourself a deal!

Has anyone tried bullet journalling to keep on track with to do lists?

Yes. My book is very pretty. It added £8 to my debt and I've spent far too long doodling it rather than making money. As a to do list I hated making a mess of the book! BUT as a journal for life goals and things it would be a good idea
    Originally posted by Tete en l'Air
    I'd recommend the total money make over one, if you download his app he does daily radio shows that get condensed into 3 hour podcasts. It's free and you get the gist of it. Plus when people are finally debt free they call up to yell about it, it's a bit cheesy and totally American, but it's very motivating! There's a lot of material to read on the website too

Bought the kindle book, should finish my current book tonight so will be reading it from tomorrow night.

Well, I'm back at work!! First thing I did was log onto MSE I have sandwiches, hot drinks that I can drink from whenever I like. Very novel. Will be posting as much as I can! We're on the final stretch to our house deposit goal, but with Christmas on the way I want to stay focused and not crack into our savings to fund my stollen habit.
    Originally posted by Cinny91
    Guess I restarted the thread at just the right time

We also have 2 holidays booked for next year even though we shouldn't. One to Disneyland Paris as my brother is over visiting from Oz so we are all going and then my BIL is getting married in Spain in Oct 2017. But - we were contemplating a 3rd holiday. Just because! After reading your comeback thread I've shelved that as we need to just get rid of the debt and stop justifying the holidays. So thanks for that xx

Hi to everyone else
    Originally posted by clearmydebts
    So glad to be a positive influence for once! Thing is I have zero justification, I don't even justify it to myself, it's like this panic comes over me when I think about certain things and the only way to ease it is to make a future plan - book tickets for an event, a holiday, even ordering a toy for Christmas.

How has the house buying been gone CMD?

Do the yoga retreat Tete, always incredibly friendly and good for your mindset.

£8 spend today, a yoga class. Usually I block book which is £6 a week, but my usual class is off this week as the high street is devoted to the annual fair so I was a bit of a yoga tourist (part of my training is to try as many styles and teachers as I can, oh the hardship!).I booked it this morning and when I tried to go out this evening Grace clung to me and said 'please mama, don't go!' - I felt like !!!! the whole time I was out to be honest, I seriously considered not going, but I need to make contacts in the yoga world. Speaking of, I think I might have a couple of classes to cover in November/December for a teacher going on holiday, which is £25 per class so that should be nice, experience of a different setting and it's in a gym so you never know if work will come of it.

I've had a good response to toys for the new yoga playgroup, but will probably need to buy some foam mats/play mats for the floor. Possibly some baby bouncers/baby gyms too - but looks like I can pick those up for £2-£3 on ebay if we pick them up and only need a couple of each to start with.

Started up the matched betting again. So far £77.55 made in just over 24 hours - told you I just needed a new focus.

NIM got me into pokemon go too Birdie, never played/watched it when I was young, but I really like the idea of a game you can complete, and it's free and I can't afford WoW at the moment (in both money and time), unfortunately the best spots seem to be big tourist attractions and high streets! But it's getting me to put a loop in on the school run if I have any eggs near to hatching so that has to be a good thing.

4 etsy orders today, which is actually kind of good for the last few weeks, they changed the search function a few weeks ago and we've gone from 5-10 orders a day to 1-3, going mad - it was finally bringing in a decent £10-£20 a day which was nice. Need to spend some time on SEO and getting stock onto Amazon - only have 4 products on there atm but getting a sale every other day so potentially that could be a much bigger market for us.

We pretty much always do a packed lunch when we go out - picnics are one of Grace's favorite things in the world...not so keen over winter though!

Was one of your share shaves maturing soon that you were using to move house Birdie, or did I imagine that?

You've reminded me I have car insurance and MOT at the end of November. Not good! Car insurance is fine as it's usually just over the £200 mark, but the MOT could be a lot. My car is 10 years old now, and in the last 12 months it's cost me over £2200 in repairs. It's only worth around £3000 but it wasn't all at once - if it had been I'd have called time on it and got something else.

Still no response to all my inquiries for hall hire. I may have to actually pick up a phone.

• Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 18th Oct 16, 7:41 AM
    • 6,584 Posts
    • 29,217 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air

Do the yoga retreat Tete, always incredibly friendly and good for your mindset.

Enabler. I guess it depends on whether or not I get a job before it fills up. I may well take up NIM on "his" offer or handymanning, but I want to try to do these things myself really - I feel as though men make DIY out to be a lot harder than it actually is - I just need to work out the right tools for the job!

Still no response to all my inquiries for hall hire. I may have to actually pick up a phone.
    Originally posted by Dinah93
    Haha Why can't everyone just work via email?!

You've done well with MB, it's something I never quite got my head around, but is definitely something for another day for me, I have more pressing matters at the mo.

I started playing Pokemon too when it came out but got bored after I'd caught the two that were in my house Does it not use up all your data?
    • ruby_eskimo
    • By ruby_eskimo 18th Oct 16, 7:43 AM
    • 2,254 Posts
    • 12,024 Thanks
    ruby_eskimo
    Glad to see you back and raring to go Dinah! Hopefully the yoga contacts pay off and you can get more classes to cover. I'm also another one who advocates counselling - had a bit of a tough time with anxiety and depression recently and managed to get some sessions through work (as it is the main cause of the above). Also in Surrey we have a free online counselling service which I think is a brilliant idea and more CCG's should implement it.

Can't believe you're back at work Cinny! Loving the Oscar photos on IG, he's one cool little baby.

All this holiday talk is making me jealous. We're going back to Disney World next November, but it's still over a year away and we haven't had a holiday since last year for our honeymoon. *side note - can't believe we've been married almost a year* All the spare money has gone on saving for the house so I've just got to suck it up and think of the extra money I'll get in April for not taking all of my leave. Hope you enjoy your spa trip wendz, I better start thinking about what I want to do for my 30th in March.
    Emergency Fund - £0 / £1,000 :: Holiday Fund -£135 / £3,600
    Sealed Pot 2016 #24 :: VSP #29 - £0:: NSD 2016 - 0 / 200 Weight Loss: 30 / 51lbs September GC - £65/ £200
    Engaged 9th December 2010 Married 29th October 2015
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 18th Oct 16, 8:43 AM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 45,359 Thanks
    Dinah93
    I forgot - also spent £7.12 for that book yesterday by Dave Ramsey. Today should be free except for I think ballet fees were due last week and NIM took her and didn't have any money with him. So will need to break out a cheque for that.

Hoping some of my winnings make it back to my account today so I can do a few more offers. I gave myself a matched betting pot, and I need to stick to it. Not paying any of it actually off the debt though until it is at least £1000 so I can always take advantage of offers as they come up.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,627Posts Today

7,223Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin