Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 15th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    • 11,235Posts
    • 45,550Thanks
    Dinah93
    The Ultimate Incentive muddles along
    • 15th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    The Ultimate Incentive muddles along 15th Jun 16 at 10:46 AM
    Part 12. I have now been limping around these forums for the best part of a decade. I cleared it all, it all came back. It was nearly gone again, and it's grown almost to the max again. Somehow nearing that £16k debt figure always signals a change in the winds, something happens to make our finances go in a better direction for a few months, but then we hit a bump, fall off the wagon, down a cliff and into the deep dark sea. As well as a few maternity leaves and redundancy the biggest bump these last few years has been NIMs depression, where we can have no wages coming into the house for months on end, but also no ability to contribute in other ways so that I can work or even so I can do some home based money making.

While the depression isn't in the best place right now, we are both committed to making it work as best we can, and my diary has always helped me, with the support and chatter of my amazing threadies. So, time to work out where we stand, and fill you in on what we plan to do about it.
    September debt clearance goal £0/£1950
    Met NIM 23/06/2008 Engaged 23/08/2009 Married 2010 Baby girl born 2012 - 12 weeks early Baby boy born 2014 - 11 weeks early
Page 37
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 5th Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    • 7,069 Posts
    • 24,603 Thanks
    wendz86
    Hi,

Hope Grace is ok after the hospital trip and nearly op, sounds like shes a really brave girl.

IVA does sound like the best option. Those outgoings really are crazy but sound unavoidable too. We will all be here to support you.

Archers - congratulations on the new house!

Having a few childcare dramas at the moment which is fun in the run up to Christmas . Poor childminder ended up in hospital and is out of action for a few weeks. Ex is actually off work too as he had his shoulder broken at work but has now moved away and can't drive . Annoyingly half hour by car but has to get train into london and out again to come over. So now juggling between one of the childminders friends who doesn't do school runs, neighbour is taking Poppy to school in the mornings and my mums coming up to help out some days when ex can't be there. Could be worse but is a bit stressful!
    Make £100 in December challenge £0/100 November £129.44/£100.. October -£84.75/£100.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 7th Dec 17, 8:08 AM
    • 5,817 Posts
    • 25,096 Thanks
    Cinny91
    Glad Gracie is doing ok despite the hiccup at the hospital, but I suppose things like that can't be helped!

But I'm really sorry to hear you're needing to go down the IVA route, as it did seem like the mortgage one was better suited, I'm sure it'll be a relief to get on a plan and have a proper end date in sight!

Had an awful weekend and week so far. My brother had a seizure and went into cardiac arrest on Saturday night. He was in a coma until Monday dinner time and is very slowly piecing things together. He can remember up until Friday but his short term memory is shot. Its kind of funny talking to him, it's like he's downed 10 pints and thinks we're in a hotel on holiday, but it's also heartbreaking because it just keeps slapping me in the face how serious this is and how easily we could have been planning a funeral this week.

Won't lie, I've restarted Christmas shopping to just try and keep myself busy
    • roomontheend
    • By roomontheend 7th Dec 17, 11:14 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    roomontheend
    Oh Cinny, that is terrible. Has he had them before? My dd started with them last year, very scary time. But after loads of test they said it is not epilepsy and has been brought on by stress. Think of you x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 832 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    Total debt feb 2012 = £54354.11
    Paid = £22641.01 Current = £31713.10
    Paid = £32464.73 Current = £21889.38

paid = £30360.07 Current £23994.04
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 7th Dec 17, 11:56 AM
    • 7,069 Posts
    • 24,603 Thanks
    wendz86
    So sorry about your brother Cinny, must be so scary for you all x
    Make £100 in December challenge £0/100 November £129.44/£100.. October -£84.75/£100.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 7th Dec 17, 1:51 PM
    • 5,817 Posts
    • 25,096 Thanks
    Cinny91
    I think the seizure was secondary to his heart problems. At the moment they think it's a faulty valve, something genetic that was a ticking time bomb but because he's never had any issues (fainting etc) it's gone undetected. That must have been so scary for you with your DD, ROTE Especially with it happening a few times? He's having an ICD fitted which will basically kick his heart back into a good rhythm if it happens again.
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 8th Dec 17, 1:42 PM
    • 11,235 Posts
    • 45,550 Thanks
    Dinah93
    Oh gosh Cinny, so scary. How is he doing today?
    September debt clearance goal £0/£1950
    Met NIM 23/06/2008 Engaged 23/08/2009 Married 2010 Baby girl born 2012 - 12 weeks early Baby boy born 2014 - 11 weeks early
    • jwil
    • By jwil 8th Dec 17, 4:16 PM
    • 7,801 Posts
    • 22,371 Thanks
    jwil

CAB can arrange a DMP but in our situation it wouldn't be a good fit as we'd be paying it for about 15-20 years as interest keeps being added on.
    Originally posted by Dinah93
    Just delurking - I'm not paying any interest on my (self managed) DMP. I'm not aware of anyone else that is either once the accounts get defaulted.

There's a DMP thread on here with loads of information, and how to get the best out of them. The good thing is that they are informal and you can sort out your budgets yourself. If you manage to raise any extra you can save it towards full and final settlements which can significantly knock your DFD down even if it looks high to start with.

It's also worth sending CCA requests to your creditors to see if they are enforceable. Two of mine were unenforceable, and one of them got written off completely (although that is rare).

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs and you already know all this, you might find that an IVA is the way you want to go anyway as it does have a definite end date.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 9th Dec 17, 7:54 PM
    • 5,817 Posts
    • 25,096 Thanks
    Cinny91
    He's coming on leaps and bounds! He understands where he is now, and what happened. He's a little fuzzy on time scales (can easily confuse today with yesterday etc) but who isn't sometimes? He's getting his little gizmo fitted after the weekend and once he's stable following that operation he'll be able to come home

One silver lining is that his girlfriend finally feels like part of the family, and with all those hours spent at his side with my mum while he was in a coma she admitted how she was intentionally off and put herself between the family and my brother because she was jealous of our closeness. If anyone remembers all those issues we had with her years ago! So that'll be nicer for my Brother when he's home.
    • roomontheend
    • By roomontheend 12th Dec 17, 12:33 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    roomontheend
    Oh it must be such a relief to you all. He will be like a man when he gets his lecky washer fixed and has some rest time. The confusion my go on for a while but generally it will fix itself. So will he be out of hospital for Christmas?
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 832 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    Total debt feb 2012 = £54354.11
    Paid = £22641.01 Current = £31713.10
    Paid = £32464.73 Current = £21889.38

paid = £30360.07 Current £23994.04
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,510Posts Today

8,186Users online

Martin's Twitter