Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 15th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    • 11,235Posts
    • 45,550Thanks
    Dinah93
    The Ultimate Incentive muddles along
    • 15th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    The Ultimate Incentive muddles along 15th Jun 16 at 10:46 AM
    Part 12. I have now been limping around these forums for the best part of a decade. I cleared it all, it all came back. It was nearly gone again, and it's grown almost to the max again. Somehow nearing that £16k debt figure always signals a change in the winds, something happens to make our finances go in a better direction for a few months, but then we hit a bump, fall off the wagon, down a cliff and into the deep dark sea. As well as a few maternity leaves and redundancy the biggest bump these last few years has been NIMs depression, where we can have no wages coming into the house for months on end, but also no ability to contribute in other ways so that I can work or even so I can do some home based money making.

While the depression isn't in the best place right now, we are both committed to making it work as best we can, and my diary has always helped me, with the support and chatter of my amazing threadies. So, time to work out where we stand, and fill you in on what we plan to do about it.
    September debt clearance goal £0/£1950
    Met NIM 23/06/2008 Engaged 23/08/2009 Married 2010 Baby girl born 2012 - 12 weeks early Baby boy born 2014 - 11 weeks early
Page 36
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 23rd Nov 17, 5:15 PM
    • 11,235 Posts
    • 45,550 Thanks
    Dinah93
    Ongoing to do list
    • do aerial poster
    • do yoga renew workshop poster
    • do pregnancy yoga poster
    • set up printer
    • work out January timetable
    • register on yoga near me type websites
    • do lesson plan for assessment
    • do 10 week course plan for assessment
    • Call Autoglass
    • Email Sam
    • Email all Monday students
    • list nearly new sale stuff of good value on ebay
    • find funding sources for mum
    • do business plan for mum
    • Order 2 more strops
    • Finish Amazon fulfilment printing set up
    • Label and send items to amazon
    • Pregnancy yoga assignment
    • Sent out a random ppi query (very unlikely)
    • Take complaint to ombudsman/L&G
    • Plan lessons for new term - tapas, svadhyaya, isvara pranidhana, Christmas workshop, renew and restore workshop
    • Complete assignment 5
    • Complete assignment 6
    • Order updated flyers
    • NIM uniform tax claim
    • 2016-2017 Tax Return
    • Find somewhere for phone and computer repairs
    • Set up Tesco minimum payment
    • Set up M&S minimum payment
    • Shpock wardrobe
    • Schpock mirror table
    • Update mailing list
    • Pay Monday night room hire
    • Pay Friday night room hire
    • Chase up why NIM is being charged twice for his 3
    • See if we qualify for different water tariff
    • Investigate printful
    • Pay barclaycard
    • Pay laundry company
    • Send old and new power companies meter readings
    • Sort refunds for all students who need them
    • Update class lists and put current availability onto facebook
    • Pay pregnancy yoga fees
    • Pay assessment fee
    • Set up separate bank account for all yoga stuff
    • Call old energy supplier about refund
    • Call Secretary for new appointment
    • Sort new car insurance
    • Check dates for all MOTs/Tax
    • DLA form
    • Send invoices
    • Go through fb emails, DDs, interest lists, class transfers
    Last edited by Dinah93; 01-12-2017 at 11:29 PM.
    Met NIM 23/06/2008 Engaged 23/08/2009 Married 2010 Baby girl born 2012 - 12 weeks early Baby boy born 2014 - 11 weeks early
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 24th Nov 17, 7:29 AM
    • 7,069 Posts
    • 24,603 Thanks
    wendz86
    That's brilliant news about the job Cinny. Shame it took him not being there for them to realise they need him!

Dinah - with the ex friend you did the right thing at the right time and are right to step away now.

Hope mini Kavics had a lovely birthday!

I had good news this week that they are improving benefits at work and anyone who has been there 5 years + now gets an extra week holiday every year from 2018. My childminder only charges me term time and ad hoc holidays so will hopefully save me some money and means I get a bit more time with kids too.

Anyone getting any black Friday bargains? Haven't seen anything I need to get really.
    Make £100 in December challenge £0/100 November £129.44/£100.. October -£84.75/£100.
    • kavics17
    • By kavics17 24th Nov 17, 5:42 PM
    • 2,206 Posts
    • 6,366 Thanks
    kavics17
    I haven't bought anything at all. I just can't find a good deal. I did most of my Xmas shopping though so not really bothered. I popped into H&M this afternoon and got some clothes for mini Kavics but I needed those anyway.

Mini Kavics had a lovely birthday, presents are arriving every day so she is very happy at the moment. She will have a party at home tomorrow, only family members are coming so new guy will be introduced to everyone.

Cinny, great news about the job. Such relief.
    October make £100 challenge: £0/£100
    Lose a pound a week challenge 0/4
    • archersluck
    • By archersluck 30th Nov 17, 11:46 AM
    • 619 Posts
    • 2,261 Thanks
    archersluck
    We bought a house on black Friday! Well exchanged anyway (and saved lots and lots thanks to the stamp duty changes the day before ) get the keys tomorrow - can't wait to decorate for christmas.

It's snowing a tiny bit here, any one else got any?

Brilliant news about OHs job Cinny

Dinah looks like you've been having some hospital drama on FB, everything ok?

Saving for a deposit: £11,621.15
    20/25lbs
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 30th Nov 17, 1:45 PM
    • 11,235 Posts
    • 45,550 Thanks
    Dinah93
    Congrats on the house Archers, very exciting!

Lots of snow here, bet the teachers are having no end of fun trying to get the kids to focus today, feels like the most snow we've had in years.

It's okay, Grace's surgery was cancelled on Tuesday, she'd literally had all the pre-op right down to some strange pre-anesthetic which turned her into a tiny drunk, then an emergency came in and she waited for several hours (getting more and more upset because she was hungry) before eventually being cancelled. Just grateful we weren't the emergency. They offered us the Tuesday before Christmas which we've turned down, so looking like 9th or 16th January now.

Think I'm becoming a business bore, I'm obsessed with trying to find either a premises to hire for aerial or my own space to rent monthly. I have a lot of interest and can't meet it because I can't find a venue and my current one doesn't have any more availability. I'm skint and want to up my hours in an effective manner and currently am hamstrung.

Did a 'budget' for December, first one in a long time. All the costs going out vs what I guarantee will come in. Currently running nearly £3k in the red of outgoings vs income. That's excluding any non bill spends such as petrol and food. That's a very very scary number, but at least I can try to mitigate as much as possible now that I know about it. And it's certainly spurred NIM on to try to get himself sorted some more as well.
    • roomontheend
    • By roomontheend 1st Dec 17, 8:21 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    roomontheend
    Over 3k in outgoings in one month is a lot. Is this a normal figure for your household or is it because of the extra house stuff you have going on?
    Good idea about leaving Grace’s until the new year at least you can relax and enjoy Christmas. She would only be spending the whole of the holiday period recovering. This way you can all enjoy.

I needed to make £175 for November but manage £424 which is so amazing. Some was extra work and the rest was selling on fb and eBay. So I made extra payments on a store card that had switched to higher interest ( 29.9%). I got something on “buy now and pay when you have forgotten all about it”, and guess what I forgot. So the interest is back loaded to day one. I could kick myself but we live and learn.
    So I need to make an extra £125 this month to cover all the minimums and any extra will go on the two presents I still have to buy and the rest towards the store card.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 832 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    Total debt feb 2012 = £54354.11
    Paid = £22641.01 Current = £31713.10
    Paid = £32464.73 Current = £21889.38

paid = £30360.07 Current £23994.04
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 1st Dec 17, 9:23 PM
    • 11,235 Posts
    • 45,550 Thanks
    Dinah93
    £2086 in minimum debt repayments alone. £1647 in household bills that are every month. The rest is 'bills this month' which includes things like my room hire for the term on 3 venues, a plumber, overdrawn fees, fees for my final assessment (I passed!), laundry costs we owed (we have now paid privately since 16 weeks without a washing machine was a joke), getting a grabber in to remove a load of mud and builders rubble so we can get on our drive again and stop walking down next doors path to get to our house and so on.
    • roomontheend
    • By roomontheend 1st Dec 17, 10:24 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    roomontheend
    Oh my that is eye watering. Can anything be done to freeze the minimum payments till you get on your feet? The universe needs to cut you a break and hopefully it comes soon. I can only but imagine how hard it must all be for you. Personally I think you deserve a chocolate metal for how well you are actually coping. Congratulations on your last assessment, well done.

• Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 1st Dec 17, 11:30 PM
    • 11,235 Posts
    • 45,550 Thanks
    Dinah93
    Updated and ongoing to do list
    • do pregnancy yoga poster
    • register on yoga near me type websites
    • do lesson plan for assessment
    • do 10 week course plan for assessment
    • Call Autoglass
    • list nearly new sale stuff of good value on ebay
    • find funding sources for mum
    • do business plan for mum
    • Order 2 more strops
    • Finish Amazon fulfilment printing set up
    • Label and send items to amazon
    • Pregnancy yoga assignment
    • Sent out a random ppi query (very unlikely)
    • Take complaint to ombudsman/L&G
    • Plan lessons for new term - svadhyaya, isvara pranidhana, Christmas workshop, renew and restore workshop
    • Complete assignment 5
    • Complete assignment 6
    • Order updated flyers
    • NIM uniform tax claim
    • 2016-2017 Tax Return
    • Find somewhere for phone and computer repairs
    • Set up M&S minimum payment
    • Shpock wardrobe
    • Schpock mirror table
    • Update mailing list
    • Chase up why NIM is being charged twice for his 3
    • See if we qualify for different water tariff
    • Investigate printful
    • Send old and new power companies meter readings
    • Sort refunds for all students who need them
    • Pay pregnancy yoga fees
    • Pay assessment fee
    • Sort new car insurance
    • Go through fb emails, DDs, interest lists, class transfers
    • Buy paper/do taffy cat's weekend book
    • Post ebay and amazon parcels
    Last edited by Dinah93; 08-12-2017 at 1:46 PM.
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 3rd Dec 17, 9:06 PM
    • 11,235 Posts
    • 45,550 Thanks
    Dinah93
    No only thing that would freeze the interest and reduce minimum payments is an IVA, which is a consideration at the moment, HOWEVER our IFA thinks he might be able to extend our mortgage as we have over £100k equity in the house, and as we're currently on a high rate fix, we'd actually have a lower mortgage payment than we do now. So we could overpay the mortgage by about £1000 a month comfortably and everything would be at sub 2% interest where currently it's mostly at 20% or higher.
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 4th Dec 17, 4:32 PM
    • 6,087 Posts
    • 17,554 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    No only thing that would freeze the interest and reduce minimum payments is an IVA, which is a consideration at the moment, HOWEVER our IFA thinks he might be able to extend our mortgage as we have over £100k equity in the house, and as we're currently on a high rate fix, we'd actually have a lower mortgage payment than we do now. So we could overpay the mortgage by about £1000 a month comfortably and everything would be at sub 2% interest where currently it's mostly at 20% or higher.
    Originally posted by Dinah93
    Are you hoping to consolidate your debts into the mortgage? Apologies if I've misread that? Poor Grace that was an awful long time without food, both mine would be up the walls

Archers - congrats on the house. How are you settling in?
    Total debt (starting September 2016): €21,872/€27,000
    BOI credit card: €6,000/€7,000
    Loan:€15,872/
    Savings: €0
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 4th Dec 17, 4:42 PM
    • 11,235 Posts
    • 45,550 Thanks
    Dinah93
    We were hoping to, but got the call today to say it's not going to be possible, so we're now looking at the IVA route to stop interest and protect the house.
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 4th Dec 17, 4:48 PM
    • 6,087 Posts
    • 17,554 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    We were hoping to, but got the call today to say it's not going to be possible, so we're now looking at the IVA route to stop interest and protect the house.
    Sorry to hear that We've done that in the past and it's never worked for us, but I know everyone is different. I'm so out of the loop now with stuff in the UK but does the IVA freeze your interest while saving your house? If so, that sounds like a good thing or am I missing something?

It's getting to that crazy time of the year in my world where money can easily get spent on ridiculous things. I am also over eating and have a crazy number of child and adult related things to attend. Feeling sniffly already so must remember to get to bed early on the nights that I'm not doing something. Feeling mentally and physically exhausted.
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 4th Dec 17, 4:52 PM
    • 11,235 Posts
    • 45,550 Thanks
    Dinah93
    Yes, IVA freezes interest and reduces minimum payments so if for example they decided we had £800 free for debt repayments a month that is what we could pay for 5 years, in the 6th year they'd either try to get us to remortgage to release a final payment, and if we couldn't we'd have an extra 12 months of £800 a month. With interest as it is we have no way to make all our payments at the moment, we're basically at the point of paying a minimum payment off one card, then when it clears drawing it out in cash to use as the minimum payment on another card. It's no solution.
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 4th Dec 17, 4:54 PM
    • 6,087 Posts
    • 17,554 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Yes, IVA freezes interest and reduces minimum payments so if for example they decided we had £800 free for debt repayments a month that is what we could pay for 5 years, in the 6th year they'd either try to get us to remortgage to release a final payment, and if we couldn't we'd have an extra 12 months of £800 a month. With interest as it is we have no way to make all our payments at the moment, we're basically at the point of paying a minimum payment off one card, then when it clears drawing it out in cash to use as the minimum payment on another card. It's no solution.
    Sounds like the sensible option to go for then and at least you are not going to bed at night worrying about money, which isn't good at all Is it fairly restrictive for 5 years, in what you spend on holidays etc or do they just let you get on with it?
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 4th Dec 17, 5:00 PM
    • 11,235 Posts
    • 45,550 Thanks
    Dinah93
    You agree a budget, and it's a tight one, but after that you make the payments and get on with it. So if I make a load extra ebaying one month for example then that's ours we don't have to pay it to them
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 4th Dec 17, 8:19 PM
    • 6,087 Posts
    • 17,554 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    You agree a budget, and it's a tight one, but after that you make the payments and get on with it. So if I make a load extra ebaying one month for example then that's ours we don't have to pay it to them
    That sounds good. Do you think you'll go for it?
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 4th Dec 17, 10:03 PM
    • 11,235 Posts
    • 45,550 Thanks
    Dinah93
    I'm going to start making some calls. There is always the worry they'll refuse to accept the IVA and push us into bankruptcy instead, but they wouldn't get as much back that way so I'm hoping not. It's just a bit difficult to do with being self employed.
    • roomontheend
    • By roomontheend 4th Dec 17, 10:25 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    roomontheend
    I wrote message yesterday but it seems to have gone awol. So did your iFA say that remortgage was a night go? As that would have been a great solution, especially with the payments being the same as the current mortgage. Have you been to the CAB as they might be able to make arrangements with your creditors on your behalf. I pray you catch a break soon and that something shows up before too long. So that you can get your head above water. Good luck

• Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 4th Dec 17, 10:34 PM
    • 11,235 Posts
    • 45,550 Thanks
    Dinah93
    Yep mortgage is a no. Due to our credit rating I need to be earning over £22k, which I'm not, to make it possible to extend.

CAB can arrange a DMP but in our situation it wouldn't be a good fit as we'd be paying it for about 15-20 years as interest keeps being added on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

3,180Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin