Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 15th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    • 11,215Posts
    • 45,539Thanks
    Dinah93
    The Ultimate Incentive muddles along
    • 15th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    The Ultimate Incentive muddles along 15th Jun 16 at 10:46 AM
    Part 12. I have now been limping around these forums for the best part of a decade. I cleared it all, it all came back. It was nearly gone again, and it's grown almost to the max again. Somehow nearing that £16k debt figure always signals a change in the winds, something happens to make our finances go in a better direction for a few months, but then we hit a bump, fall off the wagon, down a cliff and into the deep dark sea. As well as a few maternity leaves and redundancy the biggest bump these last few years has been NIMs depression, where we can have no wages coming into the house for months on end, but also no ability to contribute in other ways so that I can work or even so I can do some home based money making.

While the depression isn't in the best place right now, we are both committed to making it work as best we can, and my diary has always helped me, with the support and chatter of my amazing threadies. So, time to work out where we stand, and fill you in on what we plan to do about it.
    September debt clearance goal £0/£1950
    Met NIM 23/06/2008 Engaged 23/08/2009 Married 2010 Baby girl born 2012 - 12 weeks early Baby boy born 2014 - 11 weeks early
Page 33
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 3rd Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    • 11,215 Posts
    • 45,539 Thanks
    Dinah93
    Not for me, I don't want to talk about it, I just want the finances to be under control. Which is a doing thing rather than a talking thing. I'm just very worn out by trying to do training, asssignments, work, taking care of the kids and the house, I need to stop and see what it's all for really because at the moment it feels like being in a hamster wheel.
    Met NIM 23/06/2008 Engaged 23/08/2009 Married 2010 Baby girl born 2012 - 12 weeks early Baby boy born 2014 - 11 weeks early
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 3rd Oct 17, 4:04 PM
    • 6,079 Posts
    • 17,548 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Not for me, I don't want to talk about it, I just want the finances to be under control. Which is a doing thing rather than a talking thing. I'm just very worn out by trying to do training, asssignments, work, taking care of the kids and the house, I need to stop and see what it's all for really because at the moment it feels like being in a hamster wheel.
    Originally posted by Dinah93
    That's fair enough, it isn't for anyone. You do sound down though. Is there anyone that you can chat to that can help you practically rather than emotionally. Kids are exhausting in itself, but you have so many other things going on as well.
    Total debt (starting September 2016): €22,473/€27,000
    BOI credit card: €6,000/€7,000
    Loan:€16,473/
    Savings: €600
    • kavics17
    • By kavics17 4th Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 6,348 Thanks
    kavics17
    Agree with clearmydebts, you do sound low. I hope the insurance company will pay out quickly and the jobs will finish soon enough. Keeping my fingers cross for you. Would love to see pictures of the house when it's ready though.
    October make £100 challenge: £0/£100
    Lose a pound a week challenge 0/4
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 5th Oct 17, 10:09 AM
    • 7,050 Posts
    • 24,578 Thanks
    wendz86
    You have a massive amount on your plate Dinah. Having two small children and a job is hard enough without debts , house stuff and Nims problems to add to it. I hope things improve for you x
    Make £100 in October challenge £64.75/£100.
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 5th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    • 11,215 Posts
    • 45,539 Thanks
    Dinah93
    Had to provide an itemised list of what the insurers owe. Comes to £3400 WITHOUT the lost clothes, shoes, boots etc and the knackered dishwasher and washing machine.
    • kavics17
    • By kavics17 7th Oct 17, 6:14 AM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 6,348 Thanks
    kavics17
    What are everyone's weekend plans? Little Kavics is going to her grandparents for an overnight stay so I am having another date today. Feeling utterly guilty about it, yesterday she had a family afternoon at school and won a price for her drawing. Lots of dads taking pictures of their kids and families pushing prams while waiting for the kids. I burst into tears as I was so so proud of her and missed her dad immensely. I was up all night feeling sorry for myself and for her not having him in our life, not ever holding her or just seeing her growing up. Mixed up emotions I have to say, just hoping that they will settle down and I can really give a chance to this guy. Sorry about sharing all these with you guys but I don't talk about feelings in real life. Ever.

Tomorrow I'm taking my girl swimming also to the local market. We might go for a bike ride too, trying to make it as cheap as possible.

I have lost another 2 pounds, feeling so much better.
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 7th Oct 17, 7:41 AM
    • 7,050 Posts
    • 24,578 Thanks
    wendz86
    Big hugs Kavics. It's going to be hard for you but you deserve some happiness. Don't be sorry at all for sharing these feelings , so glad that you can speak to us about it. I think sometimes writing it down makes it make more sense.

Poppy's dance classes aren't on today as they have an event in the hall. Think we are going to the library and park and try and keep it low cost too. Actually not doing too bad at low spends last week . End of Oct is going to be more expensive with half term coming up and doing things for my birthday so trying to save spending for then.
    • kavics17
    • By kavics17 9th Oct 17, 7:12 PM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 6,348 Thanks
    kavics17
    Thanks Wendz, I feel better actually. Had a lovely date at Lake Balaton, went hiking and it was nice to feel special. We shall see where this goes but I am definitely interested in him.

After an amazing August, and not too bad September I have no motivation whatsoever to make any money in October. I really have to pull myself together.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 10th Oct 17, 9:57 AM
    • 5,801 Posts
    • 25,089 Thanks
    Cinny91
    I can't even imagine how it must feel watching her grow up without him, Kavics. Especially with how sudden everything was. Totally agree with Wendz that this happiness is long deserved! But I can understand how the prospect of having someone come into her life who may potentially fill that male role model role in the future could stir up these feelings. We're always here if you need a soundboard to get things off your chest. Glad you had a good time in the end

Had a long weekend, my sister and I took our Mum to London for her birthday. We got very good tickets in the virgin sale (£15.80 for first class! ) and I found Oscar's secondary Christmas present for £24.95 in Harrods. London is one of my favourite places to visit but about 2 hours before home time I'm always tired and grumpy

My money making motivation has gone too, Kavics. I'm in more of a spend-as-little-as-possible headspace!
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 10th Oct 17, 10:55 AM
    • 7,050 Posts
    • 24,578 Thanks
    wendz86
    Glad you had a lovely time Kavics. You are bound to have your worries and sadness about everything.

sounds fun Cinny. What did you get Oscar?

I have made £15 amazon from the community thing i'm doing. Also £10 from another survey site. Git £30 due from another too so not doing too bad. I have just about enough to cover all the Christmas presents now as long as i don't go off list.

Still being pretty spendy though as well. Just had to buy new dresses for Poppy for school as she has had some sort of growth spurt and looks like she is wearing mini skirts... Also ordered Christmas cards and labels that she has designed. We are doing a cook off at work where one person cooks lunch each week which cost me a fair bit doing two massive lasagnes but i do get free lunch for 8 other weeks so does equal out.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 11th Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    • 5,801 Posts
    • 25,089 Thanks
    Cinny91
    I got him the standard Harrods soft teddy, but he's wearing blue woven PJ's and is incredibly sweet!

Must be a relief to be so close to having Christmas covered. I worked out what we're buying for who this year and I'm hoping we can do family gifts for £200-225. We've decided to set a small gift limit for each other at around £20, but we're going to go out for tea on the 23rd when my parents have Oscar overnight as our main Christmas treat. Which will probably wind up us having a takeaway and drinking at home We aim to be classy adults, which is the main part.

That sounds interesting with the work dinner set up! I don't think kids clothes can be helped, I've got to say Oscar's clothes have never progressed out of supermarket lines I always said when he was in the 6 month size range (12-18, 18-24 etc!) I'd spend a bit more on clothes for him but I'm a little bit obsessed with Morrison's range
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 17th Oct 17, 9:30 AM
    • 5,801 Posts
    • 25,089 Thanks
    Cinny91
    Morning!

Hope everyone had a good weekend, today is my Monday so I always feel a few days behind Made a decent mid-month debt jump and cleared our final credit card balance (£1009.96 ) Just down to the loan and mortgage now, but we do have £2750 to one side for paying the loan off in full only £8600 and change to go. No biggie. No need to panic.

We did have a cheap weekend though, only spent £3 for parking at a local country estate instead of the £25 we were toying with paying for entry to an amusement park (Oscar was also in a terrible teething mood so we only lasted an hour outside anyways ) Just need to stay focused and not go off course using Christmas as the excuse

Hope everything got sorted with your house and the insurance too, Dinah!
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 17th Oct 17, 9:39 AM
    • 7,050 Posts
    • 24,578 Thanks
    wendz86
    Well done on the debt repayments Cinny!

Cheap weekend sounds good, not worth paying lots to do something when kids aren't in best mood.

My weekend would have been cheap if my kids hadn't coerced me into buying them Halloween costumes. Spent £24 on 3 drinks in the pub last Thursday too ! That will teach me for liking nice wine .

I did have some survey payouts last week though so something positive money wise.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 17th Oct 17, 3:23 PM
    • 5,801 Posts
    • 25,089 Thanks
    Cinny91
    Whoops! It's very hard to draw the line when it comes to your kids, isn't it?? I'm pretty fair on putting toys back and saying no in that sense but when it comes to days out (like dropping £25 for entry to somewhere.. when probably snacks etc inside) I don't think twice! Makes no difference to him if he's kissing twigs in a £3 park or in a place that costs 5 times as much (wish I was exaggerating but it would be easier to list things this kid doesn't kiss)

Yikes, Rich is a wine drinker so I feel your pain. I slum it with a cider or anything I can get on happy hour Not that drinking happens that often for us now!
    • Poolie
    • By Poolie 17th Oct 17, 3:25 PM
    • 1,876 Posts
    • 5,857 Thanks
    Poolie
    Hey everyone,

How are you all? Been a while since I have been able to catch up.

Dinah - How is everything going? Any news from the insurance company on the money they owe? How is NIM these days?
    • archersluck
    • By archersluck 17th Oct 17, 3:56 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 2,237 Thanks
    archersluck
    Hi all,
    Oscars kissing sounds too cute!
    I'm off booze at the moment - don't think I mentioned on here, though do have a couple of you on FB, but I had a pretty horrible accident on holiday about 6 weeks ago and I'm still off work and suffering from concussion. So no drinks for me, and more impressive no diet coke caffeine either! It is money saving though...
    My life is pretty much rest, doctors, lawyers and insurance right now - a nice 3 grand hospital bill dropped through the door yesterday so I have a stack of info to scan for the insurers but can't find the strength right now.

What survey sites are you finding good wendz? I might as well be using my sofa time productively

Saving for a deposit: £11,621.15
    20/25lbs
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 17th Oct 17, 8:23 PM
    • 7,050 Posts
    • 24,578 Thanks
    wendz86
    Oh no Archers, sounds horrible! Make sure you rest up as hard as it is.

The ones I find best are prolific (you need to log on randomly as don't normally e-mail you), panelbase are pretty good as well. I do Globaltestmarket but you don't get as many points anymore so debating stopping them.

Hi Poolie! Hope you are well.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 18th Oct 17, 9:58 AM
    • 5,801 Posts
    • 25,089 Thanks
    Cinny91
    Oh my goodness, Archers That sounds horrific. Hope everything gets sorted especially the hospital bill, our health system isn't fantastic but at least the maximum we have is a £8.60 prescription cost.

Hope you're well, Poolie

Little trickles but I've withdrawn another £3.05 amazon voucher.

Bought the bulk of my Grandparent's Christmas present this morning, had a 20% off + free delivery code as well as 15% cashback. Custom kitchen calendar and a print of our wedding photo (had to painstakingly comb through all 4 of them )

Thinking of doing a No Spend November, if anyone would be interested? So, bar bills and food trying to spend £0 and hoard a little money for December.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,242Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin