Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 15th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    • 11,215Posts
    • 45,539Thanks
    Dinah93
    The Ultimate Incentive muddles along
    • 15th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    The Ultimate Incentive muddles along 15th Jun 16 at 10:46 AM
    Part 12. I have now been limping around these forums for the best part of a decade. I cleared it all, it all came back. It was nearly gone again, and it's grown almost to the max again. Somehow nearing that £16k debt figure always signals a change in the winds, something happens to make our finances go in a better direction for a few months, but then we hit a bump, fall off the wagon, down a cliff and into the deep dark sea. As well as a few maternity leaves and redundancy the biggest bump these last few years has been NIMs depression, where we can have no wages coming into the house for months on end, but also no ability to contribute in other ways so that I can work or even so I can do some home based money making.

While the depression isn't in the best place right now, we are both committed to making it work as best we can, and my diary has always helped me, with the support and chatter of my amazing threadies. So, time to work out where we stand, and fill you in on what we plan to do about it.
    September debt clearance goal £0/£1950
    Met NIM 23/06/2008 Engaged 23/08/2009 Married 2010 Baby girl born 2012 - 12 weeks early Baby boy born 2014 - 11 weeks early
Page 32
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 20th Sep 17, 10:09 AM
    • 11,215 Posts
    • 45,539 Thanks
    Dinah93
    • Plan lessons for new term - ahimsa, satya, asteya, brahmacharya, aparigrapa, sauca, santosha, tapas, svadhyaya, isvara pranidhana, beginners workshop, flexibility workshop
    • Arrange new energy deal
    • Email DB
    • Post baby pressies x2
    • Post FBA box
    • Trade in the book mountain
    • Complete assignment 3
    • Complete assignment 4
    • Complete assignment 5
    • Order NIM flyers
    • Distribute my flyers
    • NIM uniform tax claim
    • Do list of all charges for L&G
    • 2016-2017 Tax Return
    • Find somewhere for phone and computer repairs
    • Investigate Amazon fulfillment printing Started, need to create pdfs of various bits to finalise
    • Pay O for class cover
    • Pay mums MBNA
    • Measure wardrobe
    • Write a bit for A gym on yoga as a unity practice not a physical practice
    • Write workshop description for H gym
    • Make aerial yoga interest list
    • Set up mailing list
    • Check all invoices are paid for July/August including Tru
    • Chase up why the holy hell my vodafone bill is £93There are a few errors but largely I received a phone call while in international waters and that cost me £26, but also it actually covers nearly 2 months not one. Need to call them though
    • Chase up why NIM is being charged twice for his 3
    • Get NIM to work out Virgin login
    • Apply for job 1 by 30th.
    • See if we qualify for different water tariff
    • Push back broadband connection date to avoid fine/ask BT why we would be charged for the equipment when we leave

I like it when the list gets shorter. Should get a lot done today as not at work this morning as Ben is poorly so couldn't go to nursery. Means I'm £25 down in wage so will just need to make that back in other ways. Goal is to crack on with selling the books I think, see if between today and tomorrow I can't get them finished and fully traded in. Still have 8 boxes so this may be a pipe dream.
    Last edited by Dinah93; 20-09-2017 at 3:00 PM.
    Met NIM 23/06/2008 Engaged 23/08/2009 Married 2010 Baby girl born 2012 - 12 weeks early Baby boy born 2014 - 11 weeks early
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 21st Sep 17, 10:33 AM
    • 7,050 Posts
    • 24,572 Thanks
    wendz86
    How did you get on with the list yesterday Dinah?

The spending not going great although i have been looking at what i spend a lot more so that's good. Paid out for the girls new dance classes this week and just ordered some new shoes but only have about 2 pairs that aren't falling apart at the moment so needed them.
    Make £100 in October challenge £64.75/£100.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 22nd Sep 17, 8:21 AM
    • 5,800 Posts
    • 25,089 Thanks
    Cinny91
    Hope the list slaying went well these last few days!

Will have a big leap in our Sept total in a few days, we've taken out a shorter term lower interest loan to pay off the original loan and Rich's math says it'll save us around 1k in interest (loan total was calculated with term interest, if that makes sense? Just waiting on the refund)

Weigh in day on Monday for me, bit the bullet and joined SW. Don't feel like I'll have lost anything as I don't feel like I've been doing much/been hungry so we'll see!
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 22nd Sep 17, 10:20 PM
    • 11,215 Posts
    • 45,539 Thanks
    Dinah93
    See if your SW do any sort of offer with nearby gyms Cinny - a good friend of mine has just joined and she gets 10 30 minute sessions with a personal trainer for £1 each - I think thats the bargain of the century.

Away in London on training this weekend, need to be up at 4am to get the 5am train, getting in at 8am, then need to get across London very very fast to be in Streatham by 9am. Oh, and while carrying a bring and share lunch item (majorly regretting making something bulky and fragile from scratch rather than buying a pot of couscous right about now). Grace was very upset this time about me going away, and I'm away the next 3 weeks, so I've drawn her a 'hug button' on her hand, and one on mine, anytime she's missing me she needs to press her button and she'll know I've felt it and am sending her a hug back. She's very taken with the idea.
    • kavics17
    • By kavics17 23rd Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 6,348 Thanks
    kavics17
    Poor Grace. I find that mini Kavics is always a bit difficult after spending time with my parents but it is because she secretly misses me but wouldn't say it. She is in fact with my parents today as I'm having a date, woohoo. I don't have a good feeling about it but we shall see.

I got lazy with money making, sold another £28 worth of things but that's it really. I don't even want to think how much I spent this month, way too much.
    October make £100 challenge: £0/£100
    Lose a pound a week challenge 0/4
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 23rd Sep 17, 4:44 PM
    • 6,079 Posts
    • 17,548 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Poor Grace. I find that mini Kavics is always a bit difficult after spending time with my parents but it is because she secretly misses me but wouldn't say it. She is in fact with my parents today as I'm having a date, woohoo. I don't have a good feeling about it but we shall see.

I got lazy with money making, sold another £28 worth of things but that's it really. I don't even want to think how much I spent this month, way too much.
    Originally posted by kavics17

Hope the date goes really well!!! Hi everyone else 😊
    Total debt (starting September 2016): €22,473/€27,000
    BOI credit card: €6,000/€7,000
    Loan:€16,473/
    Savings: €600
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 24th Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    • 5,800 Posts
    • 25,089 Thanks
    Cinny91
    Hope the date went well!

That is quite a long time to be without your mum though so I can't blame her, my mum was away without phone signal for a week and I was secretly very unsure about the whole thing. The button idea is genius!

Had a loooong weekend as Oscar has caught some kind of bug from playgroup. Slight bonus is it saved me £11 and fuel going to the local science museum, downside is Rich is convinced that Oscar needs one of those giant Costco teddy bears in order to feel better. Weigh in day tomorrow, feeling very SW cliche in that I haven't felt hungry/had cravings so I'm assuming I haven't lost anything. Probably gained considering no diet should give potatoes the green light. Will see if they have any gym offers though!
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 25th Sep 17, 9:26 AM
    • 7,050 Posts
    • 24,572 Thanks
    wendz86
    I hope the training went well Dinah and Grace was OK. Poppy is quite a mummy's girl and misses me when i'm out/away. Heidi can't wait to shove me out the door though haha.

Hope the date went well Kavics.

Cinny - hope Oscar is feeling better.

Had a nice weekend . Heidi had a party sat and my sisters birthday yesterday so saw the family.
    • archersluck
    • By archersluck 25th Sep 17, 9:39 AM
    • 597 Posts
    • 2,234 Thanks
    archersluck
    Good luck with the course Dinah, the button idea is so cute!

How was your date Kavics?

Scary money times here as we've had an offer accepted on a house, initial mortgage credit check has gone through and now having to track down thousands of statements etc. I have no idea what I'm doing really! We've also managed to put 15% deposit down but up that means we're now frantically saving for stamp duty and fees, here's hoping it doesn't go through too quick!

Saving for a deposit: £11,621.15
    20/25lbs
    • kavics17
    • By kavics17 25th Sep 17, 3:34 PM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 6,348 Thanks
    kavics17
    Date was nice, really nice. It was actually date nr 2 after our first initial one night stand. Not sure what to think. I like him but no idea whether it will go further than this. I definitely want to date him more and I want to have proper dates just like the Saturday one was. We shall see. I have no idea what to expect but for now going with the flow.
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 26th Sep 17, 9:40 AM
    • 7,050 Posts
    • 24,572 Thanks
    wendz86
    Glad the date went well, I think being laid back and relaxed about it all is good.

Bless little Grace. Poppy is quite a mummy's girl and gets upset if i'm not there at bedtime sometimes. Heidi on the other hand pushed me out the door at the childminders this morning.
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 28th Sep 17, 11:05 PM
    • 11,215 Posts
    • 45,539 Thanks
    Dinah93
    How's everyone doing? Told myself not to 'waste time' posting until I had the job application in. Not quite in yet, only the personal statement left to do though.

Signed up to MSE's credit club and surprisingly credit ratings for both NIM and I aren't awful, his is actually near perfect. However because most of our cards are near limit it's hard to get any more credit. Which I'm only concerned about because in the next week £8k comes off 0%. So looking into that. He does have a card with a £2.5k limit which is empty but we've never managed to get the online log on to work so not ever been able to use it.

End of the month, need to do more invoices and the like. Relieved for pay day too, been in unauthorised overdraft for a few days now.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 30th Sep 17, 7:43 AM
    • 5,800 Posts
    • 25,089 Thanks
    Cinny91
    Happy Saturday!

Hope everyone has a nice weekend planned. We’re going to take a walk down to the fair today and then finally going to the science museum tomorrow

How did everyone get on with the September challenge? We got our loan refund so our total has jumped up quite a bit, but it is a mixture of savings / debt repayments so out debt total is still quite high.. if that makes sense?!

Also lostt 4.5lb my first week of SW, hopped on the scales last night (I know that’s a no-no) as I’ve not been feeling like I’ve been paying the plan enough attention with Oscar being poorly, my work schedule being all over and Rich being away with work but I’ve unofficially lost 7lb in total now
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 30th Sep 17, 10:40 AM
    • 6,079 Posts
    • 17,548 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Happy Saturday Cinny!

My September was a disaster but I knew it would be. We were at a wedding in Poland, then I was on a girls weekend in Portugal and in middle of that a big 6th party for DD. Along with the back to school expenses, paying for swimming lessons and gymnastics it was very tight.

This month we have BIL's wedding in Spain, car tax, car insurance, more swimming lesson payments, registration for Beavers for DS and to top it all off - I have to get root canal and a crown.

I am hoping we can start properly in November although the way things are going it will be damage limitation rather than anything. OH was supposed to be getting a bonus in Oct but it is dependant on a product coming back and working, and it is still in packaging so that is not looking hopeful. Whenever (if ever) he gets it I will be paying a chunk off my credit card.

I have my nieces over tonight on a sleepover so apart from swimming lessons that will take over our weekend. Trying to have quiet, money free weekends before the wedding in Spain.
    • kavics17
    • By kavics17 30th Sep 17, 5:18 PM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 6,348 Thanks
    kavics17
    Happy Saturday Everyone!

I made £120 this month which is more than nothing I guess but not even near to my target. Also lost exactly 4 pounds so happy with that. Aiming to make £100 in October and lose another 4 pounds. Anyone with me?

I am having another date tonight, we are off to a midnight labyrinth stroll outside of the city, they organize it twice yearly with headtorches so looking forward to it. I am getting excited about him but it is a very strange feeling to warm up to someone. We shall see how it will turn out. Mini Kavics will be with the sitter, hopefully she will behave.

Money wise I saved third of my salary this month plus managed to put away an extra £40 for next year's holiday. I could have saved more but was an expensive month with nursery starting.
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 2nd Oct 17, 11:03 AM
    • 7,050 Posts
    • 24,572 Thanks
    wendz86
    Hi all,

Hope all is OK Dinah. good news about your credit ratings being ok, and payday is always a relief!

I made £75 in Sept which i'm quite pleased with. Going to try again for October and aim for £100 too Kavics. I have a few survey sites nearly ready to pay out which will be going in the christmas fund. Almost got enough to cover christmas presents already which i'm pleased about.

I gained weight rather than lost any in September so that didn't go well...

Hope the next date went well Kavics, I'm so glad you are enjoying yourself.

Weekends was nice. Poppy got moved up in swimming so very pleased with herself. They were with their dad Saturday so managed to get a few bits done at home including finding a massive bag of clothes in the loft for Heidi. Some were 18-24 months which is a bit annoying but loads of 2-3 including coat and PJ's which i would have had to shell out for if i hadn't found them.
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 3rd Oct 17, 3:19 PM
    • 11,215 Posts
    • 45,539 Thanks
    Dinah93
    Debts went the wrong way again last month, despite all our good intentions and working my !!! off. £103.98 worse off. Feeling really disheartened, I never feel like I get a moment's break and I'm not making any progress at all.
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 3rd Oct 17, 3:35 PM
    • 6,079 Posts
    • 17,548 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Debts went the wrong way again last month, despite all our good intentions and working my !!! off. £103.98 worse off. Feeling really disheartened, I never feel like I get a moment's break and I'm not making any progress at all.
    Originally posted by Dinah93
    Keep going. At least you didn't add any more to the debt. I feel a bit like that at the moment as we can't seem to catch a break either. This month is root canal and the following month a crown, then Christmas.

Did you get the job application in?
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 3rd Oct 17, 3:46 PM
    • 11,215 Posts
    • 45,539 Thanks
    Dinah93
    Yes job application in, took about 20 hours in total. Not feeling like I have a shot tbh as my professional membership isn't current.

Did add to the det, £108.98. As I say, feeling majorly disheartened. Bloody insurers still owe us about £3k for things they've damaged or lost, we still have at least £1k left to pay out to get the house finished (or at least with the right number of walls, floors and watertight).

By and large NIM is doing okay with the depression at the moment, but he's struggling with a lot of the outstanding DIY and that's really getting to me as I feel like we're living a half life in amongst the tools while he tries to get it together. Little jobs he's managing, anything that's multi-stage and takes a few hours is just being left.

Been away the last 2 weekends on training, one more to go. Feeling over it now, just want a quiet weekend with the kids.

Weight went reasonably well though, 6lb off in September.
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 3rd Oct 17, 3:52 PM
    • 6,079 Posts
    • 17,548 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Yes job application in, took about 20 hours in total. Not feeling like I have a shot tbh as my professional membership isn't current.

Did add to the det, £108.98. As I say, feeling majorly disheartened. Bloody insurers still owe us about £3k for things they've damaged or lost, we still have at least £1k left to pay out to get the house finished (or at least with the right number of walls, floors and watertight).

By and large NIM is doing okay with the depression at the moment, but he's struggling with a lot of the outstanding DIY and that's really getting to me as I feel like we're living a half life in amongst the tools while he tries to get it together. Little jobs he's managing, anything that's multi-stage and takes a few hours is just being left.

Been away the last 2 weekends on training, one more to go. Feeling over it now, just want a quiet weekend with the kids.

Weight went reasonably well though, 6lb off in September.
    Originally posted by Dinah93
    Sorry that didn't read well. What I meant to say was at least you didn't add anymore than what you did to the debt. You sound very down, not like you at all. I'm not surprised - you have been carrying a lot of responsibility for a long time. Would you consider counselling yourself to get it all off your chest?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,941Posts Today

5,649Users online

Martin's Twitter