Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 15th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    • 11,219Posts
    • 45,540Thanks
    Dinah93
    The Ultimate Incentive muddles along
    • 15th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    The Ultimate Incentive muddles along 15th Jun 16 at 10:46 AM
    Part 12. I have now been limping around these forums for the best part of a decade. I cleared it all, it all came back. It was nearly gone again, and it's grown almost to the max again. Somehow nearing that £16k debt figure always signals a change in the winds, something happens to make our finances go in a better direction for a few months, but then we hit a bump, fall off the wagon, down a cliff and into the deep dark sea. As well as a few maternity leaves and redundancy the biggest bump these last few years has been NIMs depression, where we can have no wages coming into the house for months on end, but also no ability to contribute in other ways so that I can work or even so I can do some home based money making.

While the depression isn't in the best place right now, we are both committed to making it work as best we can, and my diary has always helped me, with the support and chatter of my amazing threadies. So, time to work out where we stand, and fill you in on what we plan to do about it.
    September debt clearance goal £0/£1950
    Met NIM 23/06/2008 Engaged 23/08/2009 Married 2010 Baby girl born 2012 - 12 weeks early Baby boy born 2014 - 11 weeks early
Page 30
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 7th Sep 17, 1:16 PM
    • 11,219 Posts
    • 45,540 Thanks
    Dinah93
    Hi all - apologies for the awol - house move was a bit shambolic. On moving day they brought a lot of boxes and our bed. No other furniture. Day two they found the rest of our furniture. However we still don't have our clothes or duvets. No one seems to know where they are. The roof is leaking. The sockets down the main wall in the lounge don't work. The downstairs toilet and sink are in parts on the floor. The washer doesn't work. The dishwasher barely limps through a cycle. None of the upstairs doors close so you need to whisle if you're in the loo. The waste pipe for the upstairs sink and bath has come off the outside wall so if you use them the drive floods. The garage leaks BADLY when it rains. The extension isn't plastered. Or watertight. We have no lights in the hall, study or extension. The builders appear to have thrown all the brackets off the curtain poles in a skip so we have sheets taped to the windows. The phone line was torn out during the strip out so we had to get a new one installed. Several kitchen cupboards have no shelves. We have no outside tap. I feel like a squatter in my own home.

Moving back in has been expensive - completely bare cupboards cost a fair bit to refill. Literally every basic in the house, cleaning things, loo roll, salt, pepper, cereal, some tins, a few emergency freezer bits etc as well as a regular weekly shop. I've gone vegan too which in an abstract sense I think might save money, in reality non-dairy cheese, yoghurt etc is expensive, and we're buying a much bigger array of veggies than before.

Need to get back to meal planning but getting the house vaguely in order first has to be the priority. We can now at least get around every room. At the moment Ben only does nursery exactly the hours I work despite having his 30 hours entitlement, but they have spaces on an afternoon so it is tempting to ask them to keep him for the afternoon session say 2 sessions a week for the next fortnight so I can try to get back on top of things.

Up for weight loss as well as money. Not sure we have any scales but I know what I was on the 28th August so will take that as a starting weight.

So my current to do list
    • Tax credit renewal
    • Call bathrooms.com
    • Email polygon
    • List fridge on ebay
    • Check other big items are on ebay
    • Send invoices
    • Finalise new term student list
    • Plan lessons for new term - ahimsa, satya, asteya, brahmacharya, aparigrapa, sauca, santosha, tapas, svadhyaya, isvara pranidhana, beginners workshop
    • Arrange new energy deal
    • Arrange new broadband
    • Work out Sept 1st debt total
    • Rearrange B swimming lessons (8.15am on a Sunday morning is NOT working for us)
    • Post baby pressies x2
    • Reply to new baby email
    • Post FBA box
    • Trade in the book mountain
    • Complete assignment 3
    • Complete assignment 4
    • Complete assignment 5
    • Do any alterations from weekends coursework
    • Order NIM flyers
    • Distribute my flyers
    • NIM uniform tax claim
    • Do list of all charges for L&G
    • 2016-2017 Tax Return
    • Find somewhere for phone and computer repairs
    • Reply to S21 email/text
    • Investigate Amazon fulfillment printing
    • Set up TF payment system
    • Advertise new workshops
    • Pay O for class cover
    • Send my details to Marie/Rebecca for payment
    • Send amazon parcel
    • Contact DL
    • Check all invoices are paid for July/August including Tru
    • Chase up why the holy hell my vodafone bill is £93
    • Chase up why NIM is being charged twice for his 3
    • Get NIM to work out Virgin login
    • Request new bank cards
    Also, still need to plough pretty big money into getting the house finished. Plasterer is £400, will need a plumber who will probably be similar money. NIM is going to try to do the roofing work himself this weekend otherwise will need one of those too. We need to lay a floor in the extension, which will be around £500, NIM can lay it we just need to buy it. We've also been left with approximately 5 skips worth of mud in the back garden, so I need someone to help me move it all.. and pay for the skips. So that could easily be another £1000 on top of everything else.

In your school zone, are you planning to home ed Cinny?

NIMs car passed the MOT this week, despite being 10 years old with 156,000 miles on it. It does have an intermittent braking issue but clearly they were fine on the day.
    Last edited by Dinah93; 07-09-2017 at 1:52 PM.
    Met NIM 23/06/2008 Engaged 23/08/2009 Married 2010 Baby girl born 2012 - 12 weeks early Baby boy born 2014 - 11 weeks early
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 7th Sep 17, 1:59 PM
    • 11,219 Posts
    • 45,540 Thanks
    Dinah93
    Debt totals worked out. Goal for August was not to get worse. Sadly we missed that and are £365.38 worse off than we were then.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 7th Sep 17, 7:47 PM
    • 5,812 Posts
    • 25,093 Thanks
    Cinny91
    That is shoddy about the house, how frustrating! Any kind of leak would be giving me major sleepless nights, especially considering what left you out of your house in the first place.

We aren't planning to home school Oscar, but he isn't going to be going to nursery/pre-school (what is it even called?!) until he's older and has his place at what'll be his primary school. We don't want him to be at a disadvantage to kids who have been in those environments prior to school so want to put a bit of effort in with him so he doesn't feel like a fish out of water. If that makes sense??

Spendy day today. £50 for the chimney sweep, £29.99 for a fire guard and then £3.75 in Wilkinsons for flammables! Have an eye test tomorrow, but have a voucher to make it £10 instead of £25. Hoping we can throw a lump at the credit card in the morning

Cashed out some more quidco money for amazon vouchers, and we're tracking what we want to get Oscar on Camel Camel. Getting organised!
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 8th Sep 17, 11:40 AM
    • 7,064 Posts
    • 24,602 Thanks
    wendz86
    What a nightmare about the house Dinah, I hope things start to improve very soon. Good news about the mot though, at least there something positive happening.

Was out with work last night . Free food and drink but paid £10 for a taxi back from station. Bought myself mcdonald's breakfast too this morning, bit naughty. Also said to poppy we would go to caf! after swimming today . I buy them something out every 2 weeks after swimming so will allow this as a treat still.

Hoping for a low spend weekend but Poppy is trying tap class before her ballet class tomorrow so if she likes that will have to pay out for a term and tap shoes. Do get 10% discount for doing two classes though so that's something.
    Make £100 in November challenge £104.44/£100.. October -£84.75/£100.
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 8th Sep 17, 1:25 PM
    • 11,219 Posts
    • 45,540 Thanks
    Dinah93
    Damnit. Just reminded me we need new tap shoes. They were tight in June so tonight may be unpleasant bless her. And it's the first week of term so fees are due on all the activities. The hospital want her doing a minimum of an hour a day vigorous exercise with her heart rate raised (3 would be an ideal!) so she now swims, does 2 dance classes, ice skates, does cheer leading twice, yoga and acrobatics. Oh and rainbows, for a rest.
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 8th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 11,219 Posts
    • 45,540 Thanks
    Dinah93
    • Tax credit renewal
    • Call bathrooms.com
    • Email polygon
    • List fridge on ebay
    • Check other big items are on ebay
    • Send invoices
    • Finalise new term student list
    • Plan lessons for new term - ahimsa, satya, asteya, brahmacharya, aparigrapa, sauca, santosha, tapas, svadhyaya, isvara pranidhana, beginners workshop
    • Arrange new energy deal
    • Arrange new broadband
    • Work out Sept 1st debt total
    • Rearrange B swimming lessons (8.15am on a Sunday morning is NOT working for us)
    • Post baby pressies x2
    • Reply to new baby email
    • Post FBA box
    • Trade in the book mountain
    • Complete assignment 3
    • Complete assignment 4
    • Complete assignment 5
    • Do any alterations from weekends coursework
    • Order NIM flyers
    • Distribute my flyers
    • NIM uniform tax claim
    • Do list of all charges for L&G
    • 2016-2017 Tax Return
    • Find somewhere for phone and computer repairs
    • Reply to S21 email/text
    • Investigate Amazon fulfillment printing
    • Set up TF payment system
    • Advertise new workshops
    • Pay O for class cover
    • Send my details to Marie/Rebecca for payment
    • Send amazon parcel
    • Contact DL
    • Write a bit for A gym on yoga as a unity practice not a physical practice
    • Write workshop description for H gym
    • Make aerial yoga interest list
    • Set up mailing list
    • Check all invoices are paid for July/August including Tru
    • Chase up why the holy hell my vodafone bill is £93
    • Chase up why NIM is being charged twice for his 3
    • Get NIM to work out Virgin login
    • Request new bank cards

Slow going. The only time I don't work I have children with me. They go to bed at 9pm (should be 7.30 but earliest we've won the war this week has been 8.15) so basically it's how much caffine can I ingest to buy me a few hours to get things done (and only things which don't require office hours)
    Last edited by Dinah93; 08-09-2017 at 2:58 PM.
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 8th Sep 17, 2:53 PM
    • 7,064 Posts
    • 24,602 Thanks
    wendz86
    Bet that costs a fair bit but as you say is great for her heart and bet she enjoys it all.
    I know how you feel about the evenings. I get kids to sleep between 8-8.30 and then some nights I haven't even had dinner yet. Not a lot of time.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 8th Sep 17, 4:35 PM
    • 5,812 Posts
    • 25,093 Thanks
    Cinny91
    You'd think with all that activity she'd be cream crackered and ready for an early night! Oscar has been pushing his bedtime waaaay back this week and getting up at 5:30-6:30am. What the heck do children even run on! I get up at 5am to go on a walk and a bit of time to myself before breakfast but having to be even mildly entertaining at that time drains my battery by 9am 😴

Eyetest was £21.50 in the end, but I used a grumpy Oscar as an excuse to not look at frames in store (minimum of £74 with the thinner lenses I apparebtly need) ordered online for £21.95 instead with thinner lenses

Hope everyone has a nice weekend!
    • kavics17
    • By kavics17 9th Sep 17, 5:20 AM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 6,348 Thanks
    kavics17
    That's an awful lot of activity, how can you manage that? Little kavics starts volleyball on Tuesday, she hasn't done anything yet at all as I am too lazy to take her across the city where most of the activities are based after nursery. However the local volleyball team just moved across the road we live, literally can see them from our window so she is starting next week and will be going twice a week after nursery. We do swimming at the weekend too but that is not very structured.

The house sounds a nightmare, hope you can fix it soon.
    Expensive weekend ahead as we need to buy shoes for little miss. Also I will go for bootcamp tomorrow and not only I need to pay for the exercise but also for the babysitter too . We might go swimming too.
    October make £100 challenge: £0/£100
    Lose a pound a week challenge 0/4
    • roomontheend
    • By roomontheend 9th Sep 17, 9:10 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    roomontheend
    Dinah what size taps does she need as I have a couple of pairs my little pink person has grown of and it would save you having to buy them right now?
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 832 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    Total debt feb 2012 = £54354.11
    Paid = £22641.01 Current = £31713.10
    Paid = £32464.73 Current = £21889.38

paid = £33360.07 Carrent £20994.04
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 10th Sep 17, 9:54 PM
    • 7,064 Posts
    • 24,602 Thanks
    wendz86
    Volleyball sounds really fun Kavics, bet she will enjoy that.

Cinny Heidi wakes up between half 5 and 6, is so tiring. I appreicate the days when i go to work and drink a nice cappucino in peace.

Hope everyone has had a nice weekend. Poppy got the certificate from her first ballet exam and enjoyed tap so will have fees to pay for that when i get the invoice. Currently bidding on shoes on ebay. We haven't done much else apart from park visit and made a garden on a tray for Poppys homework.

Need to try and keep spending limited this week as running very low already this month.
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 12th Sep 17, 10:39 AM
    • 7,064 Posts
    • 24,602 Thanks
    wendz86
    Doing a bit better on the making money . Got £10 amazon from shop and scan and £8 amazon from the community thing I'm doing. Saving up the amazon vouchers for a kids kindle fire for poppy for Christmas.

Got a couple of things on ebay that end today but no bids. Never seem to do well on there yet everything i want to buy goes up loads. Ended up buying Poppy new tap shoes as the ones on ebay were nearly as much as a new pair.
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 12th Sep 17, 3:38 PM
    • 11,219 Posts
    • 45,540 Thanks
    Dinah93
    Dinah what size taps does she need as I have a couple of pairs my little pink person has grown of and it would save you having to buy them right now?
    Originally posted by roomontheend
    You star, if you have any 8 or 9's that would be great (I'm not sure which one she would be, currently a 7, but her school shoes are 8.5, although I think tap shoes tend to be a size smaller than school shoes and ballet shoes a size bigger).

Slow progress continues, progress none the less. Have heard some worrying news about a new venue where I'm starting up, wouldn't be such an issue if I didn't need to invest in the venue for structural alterations for one of my classes. Keep dreaming of my own studio. One day.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 12th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    • 5,812 Posts
    • 25,093 Thanks
    Cinny91
    Thanks Wendz, helps to know you're not alone!

We were meant to be going to see IT this weekend but I'm thinking it might be a better use of the money/baby free time to paint the dining room. It needs doing before the table gets delivered. Less scary but more practical! Also had an email for a free Hello Fresh box so I've redeemed that, be food sorted for next week
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 13th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    • 7,064 Posts
    • 24,602 Thanks
    wendz86
    The trailer for IT terrifies me, don't think i'd cope.

Had another 9.80 cashed out yesterday from prolific so not doing bad on the making money although my things on ebay didn't sell.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 13th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 5,812 Posts
    • 25,093 Thanks
    Cinny91
    Sounds like you're doing well! I tend to put eBay items up on a Wednesday or Thursday and run it for 10 days so it finishes Saturday/Sunday. Apparently that's when most people buy stuff on eBay! I actually think I heard it on this thread

Took Oscar to rattle and rhyme at the library this morning, so that was a free activity. Also managed to get my grandads birthday present for half price, and got Oscar a set of rescue vans reduced to £1 to put away for Christmas too. The toy I'm watching on camelcamel has come down by £12 so I'm having to talk myself out of buying it!
    • kavics17
    • By kavics17 13th Sep 17, 12:47 PM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 6,348 Thanks
    kavics17
    I really want a heart of Te fiti light up necklace for mini Kavics but it is either sold out or costs 30 pounds. I either suck it up and buy a cheap replica or wait and see if they will have it in stock in Argos or wherever.

I managed to sold my dad's old computer so signature is updated. I overspent at the weekend as bought shoes/trousers/etc. so watching carefully the pennies from now on.
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 13th Sep 17, 1:01 PM
    • 7,064 Posts
    • 24,602 Thanks
    wendz86
    Good tip Cinny, will try that next time.

I set up camelcamel for the girls main presents after you said. I know the kindle kids fire drops by £20 sometimes so hoping it will do this.

Hope you manage to sort the necklace Kavics, is hard when you know they will really love it.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 13th Sep 17, 2:32 PM
    • 5,812 Posts
    • 25,093 Thanks
    Cinny91
    Kavics, they have that necklace in Smyths Toys for £9.99. Will they ship to you? You could always email their customer service and ask. I'd happily get one and post it to you but I don't have a Smyths near me

I bet they'll come into the Black Friday amazon sales, Wendz. I managed to get my dad the standard Fire tablet really cheaply for his birthday (late October) afew years ago and bought a voucher through zeek which saved a bit more too.
    • kavics17
    • By kavics17 13th Sep 17, 4:31 PM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 6,348 Thanks
    kavics17
    Cinny, I love you!
    I couldn't find it anywhere in stock. Ordered it now and it will be delivered to my brother's in London. My parents are going to visit him in October so will bring it home. Thank you!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,066Posts Today

6,821Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin