Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 15th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    • 11,221Posts
    • 45,541Thanks
    Dinah93
    The Ultimate Incentive muddles along
    • 15th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    The Ultimate Incentive muddles along 15th Jun 16 at 10:46 AM
    Part 12. I have now been limping around these forums for the best part of a decade. I cleared it all, it all came back. It was nearly gone again, and it's grown almost to the max again. Somehow nearing that £16k debt figure always signals a change in the winds, something happens to make our finances go in a better direction for a few months, but then we hit a bump, fall off the wagon, down a cliff and into the deep dark sea. As well as a few maternity leaves and redundancy the biggest bump these last few years has been NIMs depression, where we can have no wages coming into the house for months on end, but also no ability to contribute in other ways so that I can work or even so I can do some home based money making.

While the depression isn't in the best place right now, we are both committed to making it work as best we can, and my diary has always helped me, with the support and chatter of my amazing threadies. So, time to work out where we stand, and fill you in on what we plan to do about it.
    September debt clearance goal £0/£1950
    Met NIM 23/06/2008 Engaged 23/08/2009 Married 2010 Baby girl born 2012 - 12 weeks early Baby boy born 2014 - 11 weeks early
Page 29
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 22nd Aug 17, 10:59 AM
    • 7,066 Posts
    • 24,602 Thanks
    wendz86
    I have been thinking about Christmas. Definitely trying to cut back with the toys especially for Poppy as all she ever really plays with is her dolls and she loves doing crafty type stuff and her dancing. I might get her a tablet so her and Heidi don't fight for my i-pad.

Heidi i might get some Sylvanians as she was playing with my old ones at my Mum's and seems to really like them.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 23rd Aug 17, 6:20 AM
    • 5,814 Posts
    • 25,094 Thanks
    Cinny91
    Can't beat a bit of Moana! Oscar's friend is obsessed, I was hoping Oscar would take to it but we are firmly in a wreck it Ralph phase.

I was so surprised to see slyvanian families were still a thing, my sister had them growing up and I was so jealous - but I was also very clumsy and not trusted with anything fancy I think we're settled on getting Oscar some of the wooden food crates, Melissa and Doug do the food group ones so I'm going to keep my eye on the prices of those, also had the brain wave of a play tool bench but remembered I need to keep a few ideas back for his birthday

TT of 81p this morning, bank is circling so we're currently living on beans on toast/cereal until payday. Oscar, obviously, is having well rounded meals instead!
    Last edited by Cinny91; 23-08-2017 at 6:22 AM.
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 23rd Aug 17, 9:43 AM
    • 7,066 Posts
    • 24,602 Thanks
    wendz86
    Heidi loves the wooden food that you can chop from Melissa and Doug. Is a good choice.

Managed a NSD yesterday woo. Hopefully today will be as well. Going to post office at lunch to post a couple of things i sold on a Facebook group so postage is covered for them.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 23rd Aug 17, 10:10 AM
    • 5,814 Posts
    • 25,094 Thanks
    Cinny91
    I'm hoping Oscar will take to it, he likes playing pretend already and loves kitchen stuff like "helping" to wash up and putting things back into cupboards.

Well done on the NSD! Thinking of it, I managed one too. Late start at work this morning so I walked Oscar into town to get him a teacake from our old bakery for breakfast because nothing at home appealed to him! No chance of a NSD now
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 29th Aug 17, 1:22 PM
    • 7,066 Posts
    • 24,602 Thanks
    wendz86
    I hope everyone had a good bank holiday weekend. Are you in the house yet Dinah?

Haven't really done that much this weekend. Only spent little bits but still added up to around £50 on swimming, mcdonalds, cinema tickets and snacks, two lots of ice cream and a few bits from the shop.

On the plus side landlord got new boiler put in on Friday so I might be saving money through not having heating coming on randomly.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 30th Aug 17, 10:02 AM
    • 5,814 Posts
    • 25,094 Thanks
    Cinny91
    We had what I thought was a fairly cheap one until I thought about what we spent. £31 on a meal out on Saturday (with DH's family, wouldn't have done anything otherwise!) and I stayed home with Oscar on Sunday, then we popped to a local tea room on Monday for cake and icecream (£10) and had a BBQ in the afternoon

Glad you got it sorted before it gets cold, nothing worse than a dodgy boiler and most people don't think to get their own checked until it breaks. Have ours booked in for next week as well as the wood burner getting cleaned, thanks to the flylady thread

Started cashing out any quidco earnings as amazon vouchers to make use of the 3% boost, should hopefully have £60ish by Christmas to put towards whatever we get for Oscar. Discovered you can get a Wreck it Ralph plush so if that love is still strong, he's the top of the list!

Quite looking forward to the challenge next month too, I'll be happy if we make it over £1500 tbf
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 30th Aug 17, 1:52 PM
    • 7,066 Posts
    • 24,602 Thanks
    wendz86
    All adds up doesn't it. Hoping this month will be easier. Going to make a conscious effort to watch what I'm spending.

That's a good idea with the quidco cashing out. I have been selected for a new research community type group and should be getting amazon vouchers for my contribution towards that which will be good for christmas.
    • kavics17
    • By kavics17 30th Aug 17, 4:49 PM
    • 2,206 Posts
    • 6,359 Thanks
    kavics17
    I thought after my LBM at the beginning of August I did really well. Till the weekend...when I went to pick up my brother from the airport (petrol cost me 50 pounds). Visited Ikea which is 5 miles from the airport and spent 30, and managed to spent 25 on clothes too . Feel so bad about it. On the other hand I sold more things and so far I made 150 pounds.

Oh and set up my pension too. That's a big thing I guess. Though less money monthly.
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 30th Aug 17, 9:15 PM
    • 7,066 Posts
    • 24,602 Thanks
    wendz86
    Things easily add up. We can all support each other and try and cut down on the spending.

That's great about the making money. I have got some money from survey sites due to me and some kids clothes on ebay with bids on. Putting all the extra money into Christmas fund at the moment.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 31st Aug 17, 12:51 PM
    • 5,814 Posts
    • 25,094 Thanks
    Cinny91
    I'm definitely getting the spending guilt too as it's never anything we need, it's just something I want But think of it this way, you might have spent £105 but a chunk of that was doing your brother a big favour and £30 in Ikea is very reserved. Try not to beat yourself up too much about it

That's a good amount of extra money made too, and good luck with the survey Wendz!

Having a walk to the post office in a bit to send my friend some pre-baby gifts, would much prefer to deliver them myself but train tickets to London aren't cheap. Adds another level of annoyance towards debt, hate how my bad choices impact being able to do things I'd love to do!
    • kavics17
    • By kavics17 31st Aug 17, 7:05 PM
    • 2,206 Posts
    • 6,359 Thanks
    kavics17
    Thanks Ladies, bank account balance actually looks good, I still have £300 left which is great considering that I usually have half left by the end of the month. Little brother actually gave me half the petrol money as a good bye present so that's good too.

I sold a pair of shoes and the cosytoe today and bought a new pair of shoes for LK from the money. You see, this is what I missed in the past couple of years, being focused and organised. Let's hope I can keep up.

Cinny, London is so expensive. I am planning to come and visit next June but dread to think how much money I will need for the trip.
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 1st Sep 17, 12:04 PM
    • 7,066 Posts
    • 24,602 Thanks
    wendz86
    Glad you are feeling more positive now Kavics .

Been a speedy morning - haircuts for all three of us £52 (did get £5 off for doing a review on their Facebook page ), then popped to school to get a new cardigan for poppy £10, then Tesco for a few bits £12 and diesel £42. Typical splurge after being paid. Rest of weekend should be low spend though as off to my parents tomorrow and a charity event my friends running but will just be buying tea and cake !
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 2nd Sep 17, 7:50 AM
    • 5,814 Posts
    • 25,094 Thanks
    Cinny91
    Always a spending rush at the start of the month! I'm off to a vintage kilo sale today but I'm only after 2 new tops so shouldn't spend very much at all. I was meant to go for cake afterwards but I don't feel 100% so I've cancelled that, will save some money too but mostly I just need to sleep when Oscar sleeps today!

Our total for the month so far is £1018.59, will slow down a fair bit now it's just my wages filtering in but we'll see what we can do!
    • kavics17
    • By kavics17 3rd Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    • 2,206 Posts
    • 6,359 Thanks
    kavics17
    So September is upon on us, let's do this challenge. I'm aiming for making £10 a day by selling baby clothes and things that I don't need anymore.

Does anyone want to do a weight loss challenge too? Losing a pound a week maybe? I need to get back into shape...

I spent nothing today as it has been raining and apart from a short walk we stayed at home. Spent £5 on lunch and £15 on petrol yesterday.
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 4th Sep 17, 7:00 AM
    • 5,814 Posts
    • 25,094 Thanks
    Cinny91
    I'd be up for the weightloss! Lb a week sounds good to me ��

Went out with my brother for his birthday yesterday, got him tickets to what was meant to be a podcast recording but turned out to be a full stand up routine for a dvd recording, drinks were included too so only had to pay for parking in the end. I took £20 with me so I'm going to try and stretch what's left for buying food for the remainder of the week.

£150 off the credit card today, DH is starting to get worried it won't be cleared by December so we really need to focus more money towards that.
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 4th Sep 17, 10:18 AM
    • 7,066 Posts
    • 24,602 Thanks
    wendz86
    I am up for both. I'm going to do £5 a day and lose a lb a week as well. Off to a good start as got £35 survey money on the 1st and made 1.80 on an ebay sale. Going to try and sort out some more ebay stuff later.

Poppy went off to school for her first day of year 2 today, growing up so quick. I'm off work today and tomorrow as childminder is away this week and my mums coming up to look after them wednesday and thursday.

I had a low spend weekend after the spendy friday. Spent £2 at my friends charity event sat as my mum paid for us all to have cake and drinks. Had to order poppy a new leotard for ballet which was 12.75. Sunday was a nsd though yay.

The stand up comedy thing sounded good Cinny.
    • kavics17
    • By kavics17 5th Sep 17, 4:53 AM
    • 2,206 Posts
    • 6,359 Thanks
    kavics17
    Sold the baby mobile and a kardigan yesterday, got £17 for the two.
    Had an awful headache yesterday so diet wasn't as good as I wanted it to be but today is another day, another try.
    October make £100 challenge: £0/£100
    Lose a pound a week challenge 0/4
    • wendz86
    • By wendz86 5th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    • 7,066 Posts
    • 24,602 Thanks
    wendz86
    Well done on the selling. Hope you are feeling better today. I didn't do that well on the good eating yesterday either.
    Make £100 in November challenge £129.44/£100.. October -£84.75/£100.
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 5th Sep 17, 9:46 AM
    • 6,082 Posts
    • 17,551 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    You all sound so motivated. Fair play!

September and October are crazy months for me (2 weddings abroad and then a girlie weekend abroad) so it'll be basic overpayments for me until the end of Oct unfortunately.

Can join ye on the weight loss challenge though! I have 6lbs to lose before the 11th Oct to get to my ideal weight for BIL's wedding.
    Total debt (starting September 2016): €21,973/€27,000
    BOI credit card: €6,000/€7,000
    Loan:€15,973/
    Savings: €0
    • kavics17
    • By kavics17 7th Sep 17, 4:46 AM
    • 2,206 Posts
    • 6,359 Thanks
    kavics17
    Sold more things, the total is in the signature. Need to start listing again as I still have tons of clothes to sell. I might have a bit of time this afternoon although work is crazy busy.

How is the house Dinah? Have you managed to move in?
    October make £100 challenge: £0/£100
    Lose a pound a week challenge 0/4
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,521Posts Today

7,207Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin