Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 14th Jun 16, 10:26 PM
    • 1,368Posts
    • 6,318Thanks
    mary hinge
    ".......Learning to dance in the rain!!"
    • 14th Jun 16, 10:26 PM
    ".......Learning to dance in the rain!!" 14th Jun 16 at 10:26 PM
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It is about learning to dance in the rain!"

The house of Hinge has moved on hugely since I first joined Mse and started "Unhinged!" and I felt we needed a fresh page to mark the place we are at in our journey! Back in those days we were very much under a huge black storm cloud, dodging the rumbles of thunder yet these days we are very much donning our wellies and certainly jumping in lots of puddles if not doing a little dance in the rain

June marks Superman's 8th birthday, His annual meeting at school to review his progress and the beginning of his transition in to year 4!! Master H is also on the transition train and his declared his new school totally "awesome, cool, wicked!!" Missy H is looking forward to her day in the west end and her drama workshops and is on the welcoming team to show the new school recruits around on their visit days!

Debt continues to reduce on our Dmp with SC, It is time for our annual review and I have made the execuetive decision to switch to self management in view of our plans to offer full and finals when Mr H's inheritence arrives. We are currently sitting at £13k owing and aiming to clear the balances with some cheeky reduced offers...... well, like they say If you don't ask you don't get!!

I'm currently in DLA form hell with Missy H's renewal forms Why do they make them so complex?! The whole process is draining!

Health/diet/sanity wise I'm firmly on the wagon!! 34lbs gone this year so far and plenty more to go I have found a love for exercise classes and clubbersize if my favourite Thankfully the dark cloud above me seems to of upped and left and with out any external demands or stresses I'm trundling along nicely!

Now to stick the kettle on and wait for my sofa buddies with the biccies!!

Mrs H x
    Living in a superhero induced haze
    "You did good Kidda!"
Page 8
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 10th Oct 17, 9:51 PM
    • 1,368 Posts
    • 6,318 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Sounds like you need to check out the bodycoach or millionairehoy on youtube, to do amazing HIIT work outs and body weight exercises!
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 10th Oct 17, 10:10 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,628 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Yes I follow the body coach, I have weights and a cross trainer and know exactly what I need to do, I just get bored! I'm thinking of going to a crossfit class so we'll see where that takes me!
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 11th Oct 17, 9:32 PM
    • 1,368 Posts
    • 6,318 Thanks
    mary hinge
    I picked up some flowers reduced for my friends birthday tomorrow, they look fresher than the ones still in date made a cake for her too.

Dreading fat club tomorrow as I've ransacked the kitchen several times this week but hey ho thats how it goes some times!

Money for the rest of the month was looking ok considering it's half term..... the i realised after school clubs and music lesson invoices will be due on the 23rd too 1 step forward 3 steps back and all

not alot to write home about today really. Such an exciting life we lead in the house of Hinge
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Oct 17, 7:17 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,628 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hey Mary, I've had s week of shovelling food in! Hitting a new gym today so we'll see how that goes. And poor you having all the afterschool clubs to pay for, I'm putting off paying mine! I hope you have a good day.
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 12th Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    • 1,368 Posts
    • 6,318 Thanks
    mary hinge
    A lb gain at fat club today wasn't unexpected.... it happens when you eat chocolate for breakfast. Bloody stoooooopid hormones.

Lovely day today celebrating my friends birthday, used a 20% code and saved a fortune at the resturant

Need to sit down a work out Mr H's bills as some of them have increased, will need to rejig the pet insurances and look at his CC apr/balance transfers etc.... Taken my eye off the ball on that one!
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 13th Oct 17, 10:43 AM
    • 1,368 Posts
    • 6,318 Thanks
    mary hinge

Missy H is enjoying a pj day as she has finished for half term The boys went off to school rather disgruntled as they wanted to be home today too

I have had a look in the cupboards and freezer and managed to make a meal plan for the next week, have to nip out for the handful of things we will need but should be minimal spends. Had to reserved a new hand blender at argos as I've blown mine up thankfully it's in the sale and less than a tenner!

I have butternut squash, red pepper and tomato soup bubbling away, using up and making do!

Ironing monster has re-appeared so I'm sure that will have to be takcled at some point too

How is everyone else doing?
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 13th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    • 3,113 Posts
    • 27,394 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Hello MrsH, meal plan and soup sounds good. Had one of "those" weeks at MM towers, fell spectacularly from my electric bike on Sunday, no one else involved and really cross with myself, hit the deck/kerb really hard and fell on my left side and shoulder. OH and I decided that nothing broken, but all colours of the rainbow and been in a lot of pain.Not been dressesed all week as too painful. Then 3 visits to the vet for dear dog, poorly with an infection in leg, seems she was probably bitten by a cat that has the nerve to visit our garden. She is not a cat chaser as we trained her not to be, but the pigeons and cats do get chased out. She is on the mend now. OH has been a star looking after us both.
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 13th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    • 1,368 Posts
    • 6,318 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Hello MrsH, meal plan and soup sounds good. Had one of "those" weeks at MM towers, fell spectacularly from my electric bike on Sunday, no one else involved and really cross with myself, hit the deck/kerb really hard and fell on my left side and shoulder. OH and I decided that nothing broken, but all colours of the rainbow and been in a lot of pain.Not been dressesed all week as too painful. Then 3 visits to the vet for dear dog, poorly with an infection in leg, seems she was probably bitten by a cat that has the nerve to visit our garden. She is not a cat chaser as we trained her not to be, but the pigeons and cats do get chased out. She is on the mend now. OH has been a star looking after us both.
    Originally posted by maddiemay

Ouch! Maddiemay I'm so pleased you're ok but really feel for you. Hope you are not in too much pain..... Glad to hear OH is taking good care of you.
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 13th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 8,231 Posts
    • 45,623 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    A pound isn't too bad in the grand scheme of what you've lost overall and what you've been dealing with!

Maddie that sounds awful, hope you feel better soon Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in October 5/5
    Lbs lost 18/107.
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 15th Oct 17, 6:10 PM
    • 1,368 Posts
    • 6,318 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Lazy day today, boys have had free access to the ps4 and we watched a movie this afternoon. Missy H is out with a friend too so all quiet on the western front! I've had time to do some christmas knitting

Ironing mountain has been demolished and we have a belly full of roast beef Dinner, Superman mixed the yorkie pudding batter and they were monsters!

A trip out is instore for tomorrow - tesco vouchers will cover the cost and we have plenty in stores for packed lunches and picnics this week!

NSD today as I'm still in my pjs And have no desire to go out now! bubble bath runnwith my name all over it!

Hope you've all had a lovely relaxing weekend..... Bring on half term!

Mrs H x
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 20th Oct 17, 1:36 PM
    • 1,368 Posts
    • 6,318 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Half term has flown by the usual saturday hobbies will eat in to tomorrow then Sunday will be the return to school prep and pack up baking Where has the time gone?

Yesterday Master H and Superman had a visit to the barbers whilst Missy H is on scout camping enjoying the rain I'm hoping she is warm enough at least

Lots of imagination needed this coming week with food as we have £35 to get us through once all the bills and DD are paid. the freezer is full and the cupboards are ok so there will be food to eat just not everyones "first choice". will need fresh stuff - bread, ham,milk, fruit.... and cat food. I will make missy h plenty of snacks as that frees up a big chunk of money on the free from buys. I have soup to make too - sw speedy tomato and some leek and tattie for missy H - will hunt out her food flask for next weeks pack.

Christmas crafting continues, need to crack on with everyones woolies for winter mind as the wind is horrendous and master H and superman have sensitive ears!

Recieved our garden bin invoice yesterday, the new system means we now pay 6monthly not yearly so its cheaper then last year but i need to remember to budget for it again in april!
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 21st Oct 17, 4:12 PM
    • 1,368 Posts
    • 6,318 Thanks
    mary hinge
    My car has bitten the dust, its scrap The iron has just blown up and frazzled one of missy H's school shirts, the not very old ironing board cover is knackered too. I caught my pendant in my hair and snapped the chain..... should of stayed in bed today. Instead I've just sobbed myself in to an oblivion. The school uniforms all need ironing for monday and i have no crumple free tshirts/tops left to wear either. No spare money to replace it this week either, spent £40.31 in Aldi this morning for the weeks essentials, which means petrol budget had to be reduced by £5.... wednesday school run maybe done on fumes at this rate The microwave is on it's last legs and Some how I have to conjour up a birthday present for a party that Superman is going to tomorrow too I don't feel like I want to adult today

My car wont be too much of a problem in all honesty, recently it only moves one hour a week and thats for supermans saturday morning hobby as Master H's hobby is 7miles away in another direction! It costs £65 pcm for insurance and tax plus fuel and yearly mot/repairs so not really value for money, we will muddle on with just Mr H's car, Superman and I walked the 40minutes to dance class this morning and it was fine, In the rain it maybe a different matter but it is what it is. Mr H collected us on his the way home, he wasn't overly keen on waiting whilst I raced around Aldi but when it's on the way and saves prescious fuel needs must.

I feel like I am failing, I get to this point in the month every month and it is the same over and over. Skinter than a skint thing from skintsville. It's more a cash flow problem than a over spending issue but still I think it's time I start planning going back to work, we can't keep scraping by like this, only way is to up the income.

I have made a big pan for leek and tattie soup and a pan full of bolagnaise sauce, which will make spag bol. lasange and freeze the rest for another meal. I have baked some cookies and have a batch of "dough" in the fridge for pack ups. Will make some fairy cakes, flapjacks and some of twinks biscuits too.

Have text the mum from school I was meant to meet on tuesday for a coffee date with an excuse to rearrange I simply haven't the money, I would invite her here but Mr H isn't happy with people in the house, Plus I would run round tidying up
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 21st Oct 17, 8:05 PM
    • 3,113 Posts
    • 27,394 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Oh my dear Mrs H what a horrid time you are going through, a bucket of virtual hugs winging it's way to you.

You are not failing, you are having a nasty blip, "You did good Kidda!" - you really have and don't you forget it.

MM
    xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,436Posts Today

6,402Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin