Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 14th Jun 16, 10:26 PM
    • 1,325Posts
    • 6,128Thanks
    mary hinge
    ".......Learning to dance in the rain!!"
    • 14th Jun 16, 10:26 PM
    ".......Learning to dance in the rain!!" 14th Jun 16 at 10:26 PM
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It is about learning to dance in the rain!"

The house of Hinge has moved on hugely since I first joined Mse and started "Unhinged!" and I felt we needed a fresh page to mark the place we are at in our journey! Back in those days we were very much under a huge black storm cloud, dodging the rumbles of thunder yet these days we are very much donning our wellies and certainly jumping in lots of puddles if not doing a little dance in the rain

June marks Superman's 8th birthday, His annual meeting at school to review his progress and the beginning of his transition in to year 4!! Master H is also on the transition train and his declared his new school totally "awesome, cool, wicked!!" Missy H is looking forward to her day in the west end and her drama workshops and is on the welcoming team to show the new school recruits around on their visit days!

Debt continues to reduce on our Dmp with SC, It is time for our annual review and I have made the execuetive decision to switch to self management in view of our plans to offer full and finals when Mr H's inheritence arrives. We are currently sitting at £13k owing and aiming to clear the balances with some cheeky reduced offers...... well, like they say If you don't ask you don't get!!

I'm currently in DLA form hell with Missy H's renewal forms Why do they make them so complex?! The whole process is draining!

Health/diet/sanity wise I'm firmly on the wagon!! 34lbs gone this year so far and plenty more to go I have found a love for exercise classes and clubbersize if my favourite Thankfully the dark cloud above me seems to of upped and left and with out any external demands or stresses I'm trundling along nicely!

Now to stick the kettle on and wait for my sofa buddies with the biccies!!

Mrs H x
    Living in a superhero induced haze
    "You did good Kidda!"
Page 5
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 18th Aug 17, 10:09 PM
    • 8,144 Posts
    • 45,022 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    So sorry to hear your news. I've been through it a few times so I understand how you feel. Much love Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in September- 3/5
    Lbs lost 7.5/107.
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 19th Aug 17, 4:59 PM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 6,128 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Thanks Lucky, I'm pleased you had a lovely trip to yorkshire.... thats my old stomping ground! Where abouts did you stay?

I'm doing ok, still bleeding, my re-scan feels like a lifetime away but I am keeping busy with the little Hinge's. Had to take Superman's trousers back as they wouldn't fit over his rather peachy behind! He has found a love of food and is sure "filling" out! New ones found eventually at fit after a fitting room comedy sketch which left a lady in stitches. Amazing sense of homour this quirky one has!

I believe we are all sorted other than schoes for Missy H, we are waiting on an orthotics appointment but need to get some black Dm's in the mean time. I have booked the opticians but need to rearrange as there wont be enough money to cover bills day and glasses.... tax credits go in the day after always the case!

We have been busy working on a "pocket money" plan with the little H's today. Much encouraged after master H had a meltdown over some tat-filled magazine at the shop..... so what pocket money do you pay our little horrors darling children? Missy H tends to earn the odd £5 here and there for cutting the grass but generally they get stuff as and well.... up until now obviously I suggested £2 a week if they complete the list of daily jobs with the option to earn extras.....
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 19th Aug 17, 5:29 PM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 6,128 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Yesterday we went for a walk along the canal with a lovely friend from superman's school, we picked enough blackberries to share with our neighbour and still make 2 huge crumbles, one FF for missy H and a ordinary one..... nothing beats crumble and custard for breakfast

Superman has been to his dance class today, then we called in to the mini mr T's on the way home for some milk, picked up some Ys veggies as Superman wanted to make some soup.... and he not only tried some but ate half a bowl he has asked to cook it again some day to have with some cheese on toast it's lovely seeing him try new foods. Master H tried some reluctantly and declared it disgusting, it really really wasn't but if it doesn't come out of a packet or tin then he isnt interested that will have to change.

The ironing basket is over flowing and I fear I can no longer ignore it. that may have to be tonights job in front of the tele.

I have a leg of lamb defrosting for dinner tomorrow, will be the first roast we have had in a will but really looking forward to it, will use the left overs for a minted lamb stew for the freezer, a quick meal that will fill a giant yorkie on busy days!
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 19th Aug 17, 6:55 PM
    • 8,144 Posts
    • 45,022 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Crumble and custard for breakfast sounds perfect!!

Sorry you are still bleeding. The not knowing is awful, where you can't dare to hope but you can't bear not too . Big hugs.

Glad to hear superman is branching out his taste buds .

We stayed in a lodge in Selby last week, and did day trips to Harrogate, York and Ilkley. T'was lovely!

Lbs lost 7.5/107.
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 21st Aug 17, 7:45 PM
    • 8,144 Posts
    • 45,022 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Thinking of you Xx

Lbs lost 7.5/107.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 22nd Aug 17, 9:27 AM
    • 3,079 Posts
    • 27,031 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Thinking of you Xx
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky
    Me too. xxxxx
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 22nd Aug 17, 2:36 PM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 6,128 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Thanks Ladies, I feel like I am wishing the summer holidays away just so I can get to my scan appointment. Bleeding seemed to settle yesterday but is back today, less then before but it's back.

Ironing done, house reasonable, replacement part has arrived for the actifry today and we've had a picnic at the park this morning with master H's school friend. Swimming lessons today but I'm hoping mr H will step up to them.

Cashed out £10 in my rewards account for paying by DD, would like to say it's gone in the holiday fund but it hasn't will go in the pot for petrol and shopping until tax credits hit the account later this week. feels to tight to breath budget wise this week. Must keep my fingers on the money alittle closer for a while, squash some bad habits.

Looks like some imagination is going to be needed for food for the next few days, we have lots of food in the cupboards and freezer, the fridge is rather bare tho thinking of making a sausage pasta thingie for tea. Will be good to clear the stores out abit, try some new foods and get out of the rut that has become our weekly shopping routines.
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 30th Aug 17, 8:17 AM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 6,128 Thanks
    mary hinge
    The Little Hinges went back to school with no hitches, we even made it there before the school gates opened

My scan showed that I have had a miscarriage but have some retained products, another 2 week wait before they decide if any intervention is needed. I'm ok, been busy with the little Hinges but I fear this may hit me in a few weeks time when the realisation kicks in. Mr H is looking after me but remains really matter of fact and emotionally detachted

We spent the BH at a lovely out door adventure park with a friend, free entry with some vouchers we had so other then petrol to get there only spends were ice creams/lollies for the kiddies. glorious sunshine for a change!

This week is master H's birthday and his party so I will be up to my eyeballs in chocoalte cake and mini sausage rolls! Presents all bought (nothing full price obviously! ) and wrapped out of sight!

Money looks ok this month.... well if the car passes it's MOT fingers crossed nothing much is needed!

Mrs H x
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 30th Aug 17, 4:28 PM
    • 8,144 Posts
    • 45,022 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Big hugs and lots of love. You know where I am when you need me Xx

Happy Birthday Master H

Lbs lost 7.5/107.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 30th Aug 17, 5:16 PM
    • 3,079 Posts
    • 27,031 Thanks
    maddiemay
    I have been thinking of your dear lady, please take good care of yourself. Happy birthday wishes to Master Hinge too.

xx
    MM
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 7th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 6,128 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Thanks Ladies, I'm ok, back to the hospital tomorrow - hoping for good news and the all clear. fingers crossed.

Master H's birthday and party went really well, he is an amazing mischievous caring little man and I am vey proud of him

I had my first weigh in after my return to fat club today -4.5lbs off maybe more good luck then deserved after the 2 lots of chocolate birthday cat

Back to the note book and recording daily spends this week - need to find out where the money is disapearing 5 days in and we have already spent £45 over our weekly budget for food, petrol and activities I did buy bulk lots of toilet/kitchen rolls, softener, cheese strings, ribena and potatoes to last the month and beyond so maybe I'm looking at this wrong on a week by week basis and should be thinking about the much bigger monthly/yearly picture?

Mr H's car is due it's MOT at the end of the month, I have some money put by in for this and hoping there is nothing that needs fixing, it has been well looked after and drives well but it is a old (10 years) car on the scheme of things these days.

I did pick up some xmas bargains for Missy H in primark the other day, she is Harry potter mad! I also ordered some scout camping bits in the Blacks sale to also put away for her... click and collect to save postage costs.

A big bag went to the library yesterday full of used books after a pre birthday clear out, I also gifted some unloved craft items to the local craft group to clear some space. Major lego storage re-jiggle has been needed over the weekend to make way for birthday Lego and the little H's have rediscovered some previously forgotten favourites!

Fridge gravel soup with left over chicken made in to wraps for tea, I've got chicken breast marinading in the fridge for chicken tikka tomorrow night my favourite fake away!

How is everyone?

Any one seen Stripes? I need a custard cream!

Mrs h xx
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 7th Sep 17, 4:16 PM
    • 8,144 Posts
    • 45,022 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    I've got everything crossed for you for tomorrow. Hope all goes well.

Glad Master H had a good birthday. Sounds like you've been busy which is hopefully a good thing for you. Take care of yourself too though Xx

Lbs lost 7.5/107.
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 15th Sep 17, 12:06 PM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 6,128 Thanks
    mary hinge
    I am beginning to feel abit more human again now, Have had my hair cut, had my eyes tested (only 4 years since i last went ) and have an appointment to trail some contact lenses.

I lost 3.5lbs at fat club this week so head well and truely back in the game. Heres to a healthier me!

Money wise, the spends diary clearly shows we are over spending on our weekly food/petrol/activity budget buy alot.... petrol for school runs has gone up by 50%, need to have a rejiggle really. I have taken a monthly budget approach to food and thats helping - i bulk bought all the essentials this month... loo roll, dw tabs, washing power, cat food.... so the next 2 weeks shopping bills should be much lower.

Holiday booked for the summer using a voucher from the FF which leaves a £190 to pay, I have set up a monthly payment to clear that.

Plans for october half term look good so far, we have Tesco vouchers for a day out, and a family treaure trail at a lovely canlside/locks that a friend bought for the master H's birthday, Missy H is going to scout camp for 3 days too. We need a cheap one

How is everyone?

Mrs H x
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 15th Sep 17, 9:19 PM
    • 8,144 Posts
    • 45,022 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Well done on the weight loss .

Can't believe you have plans for half term already!

Lots of hugs, hope you are ok Xx

Lbs lost 7.5/107.
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 16th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 6,128 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Well done on the weight loss .

Can't believe you have plans for half term already!

Lots of hugs, hope you are ok Xx
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky
    Unfortunately Superman needs a visual time table of "what's coming up" that he counts down to so we are required to be organised for school holidays super early reminds me I am no longer a "fly by the seat of my pants" kinda girl

I see from your Diary you are restarting your SW journey, I restarted when I went back a few weeks ago but feel alittle sad to lose my history as I have lost over 4st 7lbs in total not the 8lbs in my new book! Hoping you find this week easier to stay focus and you get the results that you want.

I'm doing ok thank you, tired (aren't I always?!) but more so than usual at the moment.

Hows the sore feet?

Gentle hugs

xx
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 16th Sep 17, 4:39 PM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 6,128 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Busy day today, superman and master H have hobbies on a saturday morning so no lie ins - well lazy mornings as Superman couldn't lie in even if he wanted too

plus side meant I was in Aldi for 9am, beat the rush and topped up the fresh fruit/veggies/milk and pack up bits for the coming week. Spent £25. we will need bread in the week but other than that it's just petrol needed this week.

Today I have baked, been a while since I pretended to be a domestic goddess Missy H has twinks biscuits (DF/GF adapted obviously!) brownies and a banana/sultarna loaf, the boys have chocolate cookies and chocolate fudge cake to keep them going this week. I have hard boiled some eggs for snacks/sarnies to help stretch the ham and cheese. I have sw bbq pulled pork in the oven on a low heat for tea, will save half for another night this week and eeeeeeeek it out with hm coleslaw, corn on the cob and wedges. The freezer has plenty of meals in to get through this week if I can be organised enough to plan ahead and defrost as an when needed.

I'm sure of the top of my head we can have:

chicken tikka (frozen left overs ) with rice/bombay potatoes
    noodles/egg fried rice/mayflower curry sauce/prawn crackers
    spag bol(frozen left overs)/garlic bread
    chinese pork steaks (....Ys that are frozen) with wedges and salad
    cottage pie
    Minted Lamb roast (Left overs that are currently defrosting for tomorrow!)
    Pepsi chicken... (yup frozen left overs too!) maybe rice or jacket spud
    cod fillet/breaded chicken/fish fingers.fruit/veggies/smiley faces/hash browns..... plenty in there!

Mrs H..... hoarded of frozen food
    "You did good Kidda!"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin