Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 14th Jun 16, 8:34 PM
    • 342Posts
    • 684Thanks
    ramblehan
    Debt, debt go away (and don't come back another day)
    • 14th Jun 16, 8:34 PM
    Debt, debt go away (and don't come back another day) 14th Jun 16 at 8:34 PM
    Hi everyone.

After being a lurker for a good while, and reading loads of positive stories, i have decided to take a leap and start keeping a diary.
    We're just about to enter into a DMP as our debt has now got to the tipping point - and I honestly think we need that push to get it sorted.

All the classic mistakes have got us here - we haven't made wise money decisions, and we don't earn a great deal so it's quickly spiralled.

My DH is self employed and has an irregular income- sometimes people pay on the day, or worst case some jobs take over 60 days to pay! This makes budgeting really tough.

In the last 5 years, with multiple miscarriages under our belt, we also spent money we could little afford in trying to understand why we were miscarrying and support us in having a baby.....the good news being that our rainbow arrived last year, attempt number 5, and she is an absolute delight. We're thankful everyday for her, and I don't regret a penny of it! I also have a stepson who's 13 and lives with us part-time.

I am employed but in the last couple of years I've had time off work for Mat leave, and am currently back part-time....my DH has also dropped a day, and we're also paying out for nursery so something has to give.

So - what are we doing:
    Selling things to help clear down our 2 h@lifax credit cards
    Using YNAB to budget better and smarter
    Tracking NSD's - aiming for 20 a month - already done 9 for June
    Tracking grocery spends as we definitely spend too much
    Cutting back on gift spending (somehow)
    Opening an etsy shop to sell stuff (chopping boards and wood products)
    Exploring some online income options

Up to now we haven't defaulted on a payment so going onto a DMP feels mighty strange, but I am slowly coming around to it. I'm an impatient person so i want to do everything yesterday so having to find some serious patience I think.

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to tracking how we are doing.
    LBM June 2015: £24025.75!
    The big bad three:£22,034 8.8% down 91.2% to go:
    Tax savings: £400/£1800
    'Very little is needed to make a happy life' Marcus Aurelius
Page 9
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 1st Oct 16, 8:27 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Hey PSL. Good effort on the Ramble fund!

Well we went and did a big shop today - £40 in Morrissons and then £92 (Eeeep) in Lidl. Had to buy a few bottles for the party tomorrow as well as lots of meat for the BBQ.

Morrisons shop was mostly soya milk for DD - a month's supply and washing powder. Also filled up car.

Had a lovely few days away. Back full time at work from Monday - can't wait for bigger pay packet at the end of the month!!
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 10th Oct 16, 10:43 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Hi everyone. Feels like I have been away for AGES!!!! and I have. Got back to work and everything that I put off to cope with the big event was now banging on my door so last week was Manic, with a capital M.

Then there is also the possibility of change afoot, which is exciting me and scaring me in equal measure. So I feel a bit all over the shop.
    It's complicated to explain, which is why I haven't talked about it in Dear Diary before now...

Basic synposis - for family reasons, in the "future" we need to / want to move area to be closer to one branch of the family, and hopefully get us to a place we would like to work and stay a while. Long term it will give us the potential for a business which is very close to my DH's heart. What's happened now is a job has come up - doing exactly what I do now - but a slightly more busy / complicated business model - it's an 18 month contract, but I could probably move internally and keep my job.
    Challenge 1
    To move - we would need to finish our house and rent it out....the max timeframe we would have to achieve this in would be 3 months, so Jan/Feb start. To move also costs ££££.
    We'd be able to move into a house approx 1 hr away from new job, which we'd be able to organise through family. Not sure what condition this house would be in, but I think it would be a bit cheaper rent.
    The main gamble would be renting out our house - and not having a huge buffer behind us in case it wasn't let or they didn't pay.
    We could /can sell, but I don't really want to take that step so early on- and we couldn't afford to buy in the new area so we'd be stepping off the housing ladder...(although it would mean we could clear the debts)
    Challenge 2
    My current job /team is great - but I am definitely ready for new challenges. I've started this leadership training thing, and had started to get in the mindset of my next job change being a step up (I've yo yo'd up and down the grades in my last few jobs and am currently 2 grades lower than what I have operated at before) as the job & location has been more important......so although I sort of want this move from a location / family situation point of view - there's a part of me that's inwardly sighing and wondering if I should just hang on in case the step-up opportunity magically arrives in the area I want to move to!! Feels like a longshot. I guess after the 18months of this other role, I should definitely be ready for the step-up so if something comes up I would still be able to go for it.
    Challenge 3
    For reasons I can't go into here, if we move it will cause issues & friction with another part of family. Possibly resulting in people completely not talking to us. Even thinking about telling them about me getting the job / moving area stresses me out a bit.

I think I am largely minded to set the wheels of change in motion, even though it doesn't feel like the "perfect job move" and another sideways step.....but it means we are going to be in for a really pressured, tough time at home. But that would probably be the same whenever it happened. The challenge will be doing it all, without getting any further in debt (a possible challenge given the work we need to do on the house!)

Life. Always full of surprises and challenges. But darn better than being dull and boring. Need to try and keep the end goal in sight.

In other money news - been good-ish on food budget so far, so that's a positive. Have done lots of Christmas shopping with cash i already had saved up.

In bad money news, DH has a work comp at end of Oct. Despite us not having much cash, we booked hotel (non cancelleable premier inn) for us all to go up for it. However have since decided we probably can't afford the fuel, food, and now the time, if we are to do stuff on the house. So £161 'cost' on credit card has to be absorbed. ANNOYED.com really as I did it, and OK'd it to support DH. Lesson learnt - next time I will just say no.

TTFN Ramble x
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 11th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Ramble you have got so much on. No wonder we haven't heard much of you. Some big decisions going on. I hope you are not getting too stressed out and you can come to the best decision for you.
    And also the complexities of being in a family will never translate on paper, I think most people are in the same boat here.
    Whatever you do next I hope you are ok. And please don't worry about the hotel, it is one of those unavoidable things that affect all.of us sometimes. xx
    Debt at June 2016 £14,600
    2017 pay off loan and first credit card
    Have less debt and be happier
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 11th Oct 16, 8:58 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Hey PSL, thanks for looking in and for your words of wisdom. You are such a star. There's definitely no accounting for family - I am very grateful my side of things is so straight forward and absolutely determined that my SS and DD will never have anything like this to deal with. It's true that most people have stuff going on - and a good reminder as it's easy to think that it's "always us" that stuff happens to - but in reality it is LIFE and it happens in good and bad measure to us all, at usually the most inconvenient times!
    Feeling much more like we have made the decision and we're going to go for it today. Just need to get the job now - EEk. Oh and tell my boss. EEk eek.
    Always think internal interviews are bad - too easy to assume people know what you do, and not say it so you mess up at interview. So need to FOCUS.

Am doing a free mindfulness course at the moment and it's really great - a bit of meditation twice a day, and some weekly studying for 6 weeks. Which reminds me, I should get on with this now!

I've paid the hotel off the CC with money that was in our EF - and I feel better about it - leaving it on the CC was stressing me out, and in reality the EF is there to pay it, so now it's gone. Can't wait until I get my bigger pay packet on the 25th! It's already the 11th - not too long to go. Got a big expense claim to put in too.
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 16th Oct 16, 9:00 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Lovely weekend. Have decided to apply for the job - application part done - just need to do the covering letter and then it is going in. Deadline is Thurs, so plenty of time.

We had a spendy day yesterday - but all essentials - mostly paint, paint brushes etc so we can crack on with house DIY. We basically bought a wreck in Mar 2014, did loads initially as it needed everything....but then DD came along and we literally stopped. So now we need to get it all finished...especially if I get new job as we'll have to rent it out and move.

Today we did tip runs, and finished painting the outside of the house...for about a year it has been half blue, half cream....Looked terrible! Now it's all cream and gorgeous. Oh and we weeded and cleared the front garden.

Loads more to do tho.
    waiting for payday - 9 days - first big pay packet as I'm back full-time. bring it on.
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 16th Oct 16, 9:24 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Wow this is positive Ramble. You have been so busy. Imagine your house looks amazing.
    Wishing you well for your application. and also everything else too. xx
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 17th Oct 16, 6:22 AM
    • 516 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Exciting times ahead for you then. Good Luck for the job. Sounds like a very productive weekend. Well Done xx
    OD £1200 Now£0Credit Card 0% £2272.20 Now:£1912 Loan£4540.84 Now:£3959.14 Next account: £49Now £9.99£1017 Now:£695.01
    Total Debt June 2016 £8996.47 Now:£6576.22 = 26% down
    Savings:£1620 Car fund:£125 Christmas fund £0 Birthday fund £75
    Noodle June 2016: 548 Now: 581 ClearScore: July 2016:448 msescore:791
    • louby40
    • By louby40 17th Oct 16, 8:27 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    louby40
    All sounds very exciting! Good luck
    Dec 16 Barclaycard £73 0% First Direct £1179 0% Parents £2125=£3377
    Nov 16 Barclaycard £73 0% First Direct £1179 0% Parents £2425= £3677
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Car loan £5024 Mortgage £99,720
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 19th Oct 16, 8:35 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Job application in. Have been having a bit of an emotional wobble in that I think I am scared about all the changes we may be bringing our way...I'm feeling really tired so perhaps that why. Anyway it's in now - and whatever happens with it, at least we are now trying to finish the house - we definitely both work better with a deadline!

What is scary is how much we may need to spend to finish the house.
    There's a asbestos shed which we will have to dispose of - and in it's place we'll need to reinstate a shed / log store as we think we will let the house with all the fuel provided (it's all fuelled by wood)
    Estimates £500?

There's a back porch with french doors which just don't work properly anymore, so that needs sorting. We have wombled a set of doors so it's more about ripping it out and starting again, but will need materials.
    No idea on costs. Not too much.

We've got 2 blown double glazing windows - to get the inner glass panels replaced, we've been quoted £450!!!

That's the worst of it - so with bits and bobs and more paint etc, probably £1500 will do it....but no idea where this will come from.

We also need to pay a £1.8K tax bill at the end of Jan. I think i will manage to pay £500 off of this this month, as I've saved up some childcare vouchers and can use those and put nursery money into that.
    I think I am also just going to pay the minimum payment for my DMP for next 2/3 months to try and help out, that will mean we can probably chuck 300/400 a month at tax bill.

I've got an EF of £1K, but really want to try and hang onto that so will have to magic up renovation money. Or sell things!

Thanks for all checking in ladies xx
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 19th Oct 16, 9:53 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    You are so practical and resourceful. The house stuff will be worth it, I know its a big spend tho. Hope you are not too exhausted. It sounds like a whirlwind of activity but all positive. xx
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 21st Oct 16, 5:15 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Yep definitely tired. work is full on too. I've got 3 days off at the end of next week so that will be good.

We were having a chat about the house last night and were discussing whether to sell or not - or rent - ideally I'd like to rent as I don't want to get off the housing ladder - but who knows what the market might be like in XX months or years when we come to sell. With Brexit, I feel there's a real risk everything may go backwards a bit, and it might be harder to sell - where as if we sold now, there's still plenty people buying and we'd get a price we're happy with.....(or it could go the other way and keep going up - who knows!!)

something to think about anyway. Must dust off my crystal ball and start reading the future!
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 26th Oct 16, 1:02 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Hello. It's payday and I had an extra £300 in there - every little helps.
    Despite that, I have actually not reduced the debt even 0.01% this month as I have reduced to token payments to try and help us over the next few months in case of needing to move.
    Still waiting to find out if I have an interview - fingers crossed firmly!

Statement of affairs;
    £1000 EF - determined not to use this!
    £100 - Christmas fund left - all allocated, and mostly all sorted
    £400/1800 Tax savings - needs to be sorted by end Jan, eek. DH's tax bill next year is going to be nil, but we're having to pay on account so plan is to try and get this changed and then tax bill will be £1100. Not so eek. Have reduced debt payments to help sort this by end Jan.
    Token payments to debts made.
    Prospect of having to spend some money on the house coming up.
    If I get the job, we need to decide whether to sell or rent. if we sold, depending on what we made, I would be able to reduce the debt at least a bit (we'd bank the rest to go towards new home), and i think we'd have cheaper rent, so would be able to increase payments. If we rent it out, we'll be in the same old situation, but with the risk of needing to cover any empty months - but we wouldn't be stepping off the housing ladder.

Have got lazy with surveys etc - so aiming to pick these up in the next 4 weeks,

Best wishes for a cheap Nov to all.
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 26th Oct 16, 7:55 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Ramble I love your updates. I am also wishing you a cheap november. £300 will help.
    You have So much going on, you cant possibly do it all and post so we will hear from you when you are able. And when we don't we will just hope you are doing well. Fingers crossed for the interview. xx
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 27th Oct 16, 9:52 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Ramble I just need to tell you I put £40 in my emergency ramble find. I tried to get it out the cash point at the train station but it was broken so I had to walk 20 minute round trip to make sure i could get it so I could tell you. Strange how the brain works, I cant do it on my own but I can do it if i know I have to tell you!
    Thank you for your ongoing support. It is helping all the time. Hope things are going well for you. xxx
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 2nd Nov 16, 9:51 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Hey PSL - great progress on the ramble fund - How much is in there now?

I'm a bit stressed. Have got interview on Friday. GREAT. Not so great the 10 minute presentation they landed on me on Monday, and I'm really busy at work so am trying to come back and do extra each night, but I am tired and then blah blah blah.
    Urggh, hate presentations. I get excited and get a bit sorted and then look at it again 'what a load of rubbish!'. Oh well. Really running out of time now. Going to try and steal some time tomorrow afternoon as coming back and starting after DD goes to bed after a full on day at work just isn't doing it!

Anyhoo. Friday will come and go before I know it. Just need to survive, not panic and find something to say that sounds intelligent!

Had no time to monitor spends or keep track so feeling like a bit of a loose canon on the money front too.
    Enough moaning. I am going to go to bed!

TTFN xx
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 3rd Nov 16, 9:14 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Hope it goes well tommorow. I have a really strong feeling you are going to smash it and its going to be brilliant.
    Please remember to have faith in yourself because you can do it.

(less importantly) Ramble you are quite powerful. You got somebody you never met and 150 miles away to start saving money which had never happened before. That's pretty good in my book. I have total faith in you. (its £80 so far).

Sending you good thoughts. xxx
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 4th Nov 16, 1:40 AM
    • 516 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Good Luck today. Xxx
    OD £1200 Now£0Credit Card 0% £2272.20 Now:£1912 Loan£4540.84 Now:£3959.14 Next account: £49Now £9.99£1017 Now:£695.01
    Total Debt June 2016 £8996.47 Now:£6576.22 = 26% down
    Savings:£1620 Car fund:£125 Christmas fund £0 Birthday fund £75
    Noodle June 2016: 548 Now: 581 ClearScore: July 2016:448 msescore:791
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 4th Nov 16, 9:57 AM
    • 1,763 Posts
    • 6,681 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    Just de-lurking to say Good luck today!
    £2025/3000 OH BC(32.50% PAID) £1600/3851 B/C (58.45% PAID)
    £540/1000 Tesco (46% PAID) MBNA £3400/3795.64 (10.42% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D & MBNA PAID
    LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £7565/31010.23 (75.60% paid)
    Mortgage - £85,000.00 (O/P £666.48 so far) PAYDBX 16 #006 - £14957.15/£10000
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 7th Nov 16, 9:23 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Thanks KirstyPoos, HannahR, and PSL.....it must have worked because I got the job!!!! Only found out this afternoon - by which time I had told myself i definitely didn't have it as they would have told me already!!

So great news. Now we've just got to organise finishing house, and moving, and they'd like me to start a month earlier than I was hoping....start of Jan rather than start of Feb. Gulp.

Going to try and enjoy the 'I got the job moment' for this evening and then panic about LIFE tomorrow!
    • louby40
    • By louby40 7th Nov 16, 9:45 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    louby40
    Well done! That's great news Ramble!
    Dec 16 Barclaycard £73 0% First Direct £1179 0% Parents £2125=£3377
    Nov 16 Barclaycard £73 0% First Direct £1179 0% Parents £2425= £3677
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Car loan £5024 Mortgage £99,720
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,119Posts Today

5,457Users online

Martin's Twitter