Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 13th Jun 16, 9:02 PM
    • 1,693Posts
    • 1,586Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Soda Stream - is it worth buying?
    • 13th Jun 16, 9:02 PM
    Soda Stream - is it worth buying? 13th Jun 16 at 9:02 PM
    I like fizzy drinks a lot but storing large bottles takes up a lot of room so I was considering buying one of these instead. I've read some reviews but a lot of people seem to review it shortly after they've bought it. I'd prefer to know a bit more about it after using it long term.

Does anyone have one? They're quite expensive so I don't want to buy one if they're not really worth it.
Page 1
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jun 16, 9:16 PM
    • 11,320 Posts
    • 157,643 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    • 13th Jun 16, 9:16 PM
    • 13th Jun 16, 9:16 PM
    Yes if you want a good supply of fizzy water which is all we use ours for. We've tried the concentrates and don't like any of them at all but the fizzy water it makes is super and we run on it all the time.

Should have said this is the second one we've had, they changed the gas cylinders that the old one used and offered us a half price updated one which we accepted as the old one was from the 1980s.
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 13-06-2016 at 9:19 PM.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 13th Jun 16, 9:37 PM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 1,586 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    • 13th Jun 16, 9:37 PM
    • 13th Jun 16, 9:37 PM
    Thanks MrsLurcherwalker, Can I ask which model you have? There seems to be a lot of different ones. I'm trying to decide if it would be best to buy one of the higher spec ones or if the cheaper ones as just as good.
    • midnightraven3
    • By midnightraven3 13th Jun 16, 9:44 PM
    • 2,747 Posts
    • 6,671 Thanks
    midnightraven3
    • 13th Jun 16, 9:44 PM
    • 13th Jun 16, 9:44 PM
    I use ours to make fizzy water, but our son uses it with squash, not the concentrates, they are very chemical tasting
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 14th Jun 16, 7:20 AM
    • 2,732 Posts
    • 29,214 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    • 14th Jun 16, 7:20 AM
    • 14th Jun 16, 7:20 AM
    I also use mine with squash rather than the official concentrates.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Jun 16, 9:02 PM
    • 11,320 Posts
    • 157,643 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    • 14th Jun 16, 9:02 PM
    • 14th Jun 16, 9:02 PM
    Hi RIPPLYUK sorry for being so long replying but we've been looking for the paperwork that came with the new one and finally found it!!! What we have is a SODASTREAM 'JET' I think it's the cheapest model they do and we've had it now for 3 years, it works well for the fizzy water and the gas cylinders are available at Argos and can also be sent to your home through the post.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 14th Jun 16, 9:15 PM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 1,586 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    • 14th Jun 16, 9:15 PM
    • 14th Jun 16, 9:15 PM
    That's very kind of you to search out the paperwork .

I'll go with one of the cheaper models. It's good to know yours has lasted a few years so I don't see any point in paying extra for the more expensive ones. Thanks for the tip about Argos for the gas, especially as it seems Amazon won't post them to my area for some reason. I pass an Argos store regularly so can easily pick them up.

Just checked, and they also do some sort of cylinder exchange which reduces the price.
    • foolofbeans
    • By foolofbeans 14th Jun 16, 10:08 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    foolofbeans
    • 14th Jun 16, 10:08 PM
    • 14th Jun 16, 10:08 PM
    I got one second hand as many are bought and forgotten about. Ours is now sat on the side doing nothing as I can never find the syrup at the supermarket.
    I did work it out that it is cheaper to buy own brand fizzy drinks from the supermarket (e.g 2 for 90p @ Morrisons) as the cost of gas and replacement bottles soon adds up.
    The plastic bottles are quite expensive I think (£9.99 for 2) and they have an expiry date which is weird.
    All in all it is a gadget that kids love but not always that useful
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 14th Jun 16, 10:30 PM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 1,586 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    • 14th Jun 16, 10:30 PM
    • 14th Jun 16, 10:30 PM
    I was planning to just use diluting squash, instead of buying the concentrates, but I've no idea what it'll taste like. I usually buy the own brand fizzy drinks, big bottles which work out cheapest, but I find that the fizz is gone from them quickly after opening. It makes it pointless to store them for any length. I know the supermarkets do own brand cans too, so maybe they would still work out cheaper.

Might have a look on eBay etc for a second hand one.
    • Merry Wanderer
    • By Merry Wanderer 15th Jun 16, 4:43 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    Merry Wanderer
    We usually buy the 17p per 2l fizzy water, mostly have it plain but sometimes dilute with squash. Does anyone know if a soda stream works out cheaper?
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 15th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 1,586 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    I very much doubt it'll work out cheaper than buying budget own-brands. I think the plus side is that you don't need to carry or store large bottles. That's why I'm interested anyway.

Having said that, I haven't actually worked out the cost, I've just assumed. The gas does seem expensive. They say one canister will do up to 60 litres but from what I've read today, that's only if you make it barely fizzy at all.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 15th Jun 16, 9:17 PM
    • 7,370 Posts
    • 20,370 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    We had one <decades ago> and it was not at all MSE let alone being that nice a drink. We'd like a concentrate for the first two or three drinks & then go off it - so we had a lot of part used concentrate bottles & were on for a lot of cavities til our dentist had a stern word ("Brush!").
    The gas wasn't cheap then & the noise - industrial fart - was not that appealing. My lads drink quite a bit of fizzy pop, but I'll lug 2 litre bottles willingly to avoid the cylinder, the concertrates, the spare bottles & that unsubtle noise!
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 15th Jun 16, 10:46 PM
    • 5,041 Posts
    • 6,294 Thanks
    theoretica
    I was planning to just use diluting squash, instead of buying the concentrates, but I've no idea what it'll taste like. I usually buy the own brand fizzy drinks, big bottles which work out cheapest, but I find that the fizz is gone from them quickly after opening. It makes it pointless to store them for any length. I know the supermarkets do own brand cans too, so maybe they would still work out cheaper.

Might have a look on eBay etc for a second hand one.
    Originally posted by ripplyuk
    I assume that squash concentrate made up with fizzy water (which is what I do sometimes) will taste similar to squash soda syphoned. My solution to things going flat has been to look out for the smaller bottles of fizzy water in bulk packs on sale.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 15th Jun 16, 10:52 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 2,142 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Turn any still white wine into sparkling Champagne-style too !!!8211; might just give a few neglected soda-streams a new lease of life
    • babyshoes
    • By babyshoes 20th Jun 16, 11:16 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    babyshoes
    I grew up with a soda stream, as it made financial sense for my parents in the country where we lived. We couldn't usually get the concentrates which were mostly a bit nasty anyway, but my folks liked soda as a mixer, and we would sometimes have it with cordial/squash as a treat. I remember my brother and I as teenagers used to 'dare' eachother to drink double or triple fizzed water. Generally used to end up choking slightly as the gas made it's way out of your nose...!

When I did the maths years ago after coming to the UK, I ignored the initial purchase price of the machine, accessories & etc, and just compared the gas bottle refill price with budget brand 2litre bottles of fizzy water. The budget water was cheaper by quite a long way - I have forgotten the numbers, but it was fairly significant. In addition, at the time we didn't have a car, so would have had to walk into town to swap bottles.

Obviously the prices have changed since then - the water has gone up to about 20p (or a bit less in some shops), so not breaking the bank, and I'd bet it's probably still cheaper than the gas refills.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
    • lisabspi
    • By lisabspi 13th Feb 18, 5:31 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lisabspi
    Soda Stream - is it worth buying?
    I like fizzy drinks a lot but storing large bottles takes up a lot of room so I was considering buying one of these instead. I've read some reviews but a lot of people seem to review it shortly after they've bought it. I'd prefer to know a bit more about it after using it long term.

Does anyone have one? They're quite expensive so I don't want to buy one if they're not really worth it.
    Originally posted by ripplyuk
    If you are searching best sodastream reviews of reasonable price. Then you can try this if you knock me i will send you all information.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Feb 18, 6:17 PM
    • 19,075 Posts
    • 50,390 Thanks
    Pollycat
    lisabspi
    The person you've quoted asked for advice back in June 2016.

Necropost alert before anyone wastes their time giving further advice to the OP.
    • lisabspi
    • By lisabspi 15th Feb 18, 4:37 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lisabspi
    I think you change your sodastream and buy new sodastream.
    Last edited by lisabspi; 15-02-2018 at 4:40 PM.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    • 19,075 Posts
    • 50,390 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I think you change your sodastream and buy new sodastream.
    Originally posted by lisabspi
    lisabspi
    The advice you've given above is not very good at all.
    You are advising someone to change a sodastream and buy a new one, when if you actually read the posts, they hadn't bought one anyway. So they have nothing to change.

Once again - in case anyone wastes time giving advice on an old post:

Necropost alert before anyone wastes their time giving further advice to the OP.
    • lisabspi
    • By lisabspi 16th Feb 18, 5:33 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lisabspi
    Can you help me give information about how to make Fizzy Water?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,445Posts Today

7,638Users online

Martin's Twitter