Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 11th Jun 16, 9:59 AM
    • 647Posts
    • 395Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa
    • 11th Jun 16, 9:59 AM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa 11th Jun 16 at 9:59 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Iresa

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-06-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Page 87
    • quiet advisor
    • By quiet advisor 13th Feb 18, 5:22 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 465 Thanks
    quiet advisor
    Finally got through. Living in Bedford with an annual gas usage of 19200 and elec of 5160 it seems again theres not much saving to be had. Any suggestions gratefully received!!
    Originally posted by MadMatt2002
    Comparethemarket.com (go for the option showing all offers) is showing annual savings of £44 for One Select and £33 for Breeze. I didn't look at all of the detail however.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 13th Feb 18, 5:50 PM
    • 5,181 Posts
    • 3,176 Thanks
    Hengus
    Comparethemarket.com (go for the option showing all offers) is showing annual savings of £44 for One Select and £33 for Breeze. I didn't look at all of the detail however.
    Originally posted by quiet advisor
    If you are coming off a fixed term contract, then ignore all savings. The Ofgem inflated cost methodology can result in a more expensive contract sitting side-by-side with a saving.

Going forward have a look at separate suppliers and suppliers that have a ‘friends and family’ referrals scheme. ‘Friends and family’ credits are not shown on PCWs. I have just switched to Octopus and my total electricity cost for the next 12 months will be similar to the Iresa deal that I took out 14 months ago.
    • MadMatt2002
    • By MadMatt2002 13th Feb 18, 6:32 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    MadMatt2002
    Many thanks Hengus

I have done all the comparison sites and found minimal savings showing, and don’t believe it anyhow, every year save £xxx, every year costs go up, so your explanation is helpful! Will look at octopus! (Want to refer me for some Cashback?)
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 13th Feb 18, 8:42 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    Going forward have a look at separate suppliers and suppliers that have a ‘friends and family’ referrals scheme. ‘Friends and family’ credits are not shown on PCWs. I have just switched to Octopus and my total electricity cost for the next 12 months will be similar to the Iresa deal that I took out 14 months ago.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    It is certainly worth looking at suppliers offering "Friends and Family" referral credits.

We have helped an older relative switch to Octopus Energy from Iresa and she has already built up enough credit (if they all go through OK) to cover her electric bill for the first year. We are also switching to Octopus, using her "Friends and Family" referral code.

It is worth looking at the MSE Referrals board for codes to use.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 14th Feb 18, 1:44 AM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    phillw
    I've had no problem with Iresa, but then of course I haven't wanted them to do anything other than provide a bill and take money.

Now I'm trying to switch away they've blocked me because my electricity account is in debit, they haven't actually billed me for January yet but there was a credit on my electricity account last week, but they put a mysterious transfer through on my electricity account with a description of "transfer" that took the balance to "0.00 (in debit)".

So time for a stroppy phone call and then on to the energy ombudsman.

Update: I was on the phone for an hour (I started at 30 in the queue), it appears that Iresa are ignoring ofgems guidance and automatically blocking all switches away when there is any negative balance on an account. They are only allowed to block a switch if they have requested money which I have refused or have been unable to pay.

Iresa don't like to keep you in credit because they pay interest. One of my accounts was in credit and the other in debit, after netting one off against the other I had a 0.00 balance on my electricity account and -1.91 on my gas account. I still have an active direct debit & they could have requested that 1.91 at any time.

It took me a while for me to persuade the customer service agent that Iresa were not following ofgems guidelines, even his supervisor was not aware. However I pointed him to this letter

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/system/files/docs/2016/07/decision_on_review_of_domestic_objections.pdf

I have now raised a complaint and will pursue it.
    Last edited by phillw; 14-02-2018 at 5:35 PM.
    • JenniferK
    • By JenniferK 15th Feb 18, 8:52 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    JenniferK
    Iresa's billing system has gone into melt down. I switched away in January. After switching they produced a final gas bill and I had a small credit. Now the account is showing £2669.24 as they have added the final bill 30 times. The fun part will be if they try to collect that.

Can't see this company surviving long. Its a pity that OFFGEMs ineffectiveness is allowing them to inflict misery and worry on their customers.
    • macman
    • By macman 15th Feb 18, 8:59 AM
    • 41,690 Posts
    • 17,226 Thanks
    macman
    It's now 15/2, and no sign of my January bill yet. Has anyone had theirs?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 15th Feb 18, 9:04 AM
    • 4,695 Posts
    • 1,954 Thanks
    brewerdave
    It's now 15/2, and no sign of my January bill yet. Has anyone had theirs?
    Originally posted by macman
    Nope - but the Account charges page is spot on to 31st Jan (taking account of their estd. 31st Jan. reading)
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 15th Feb 18, 9:08 AM
    • 670 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    Iresa's billing system has gone into melt down. I switched away in January. After switching they produced a final gas bill and I had a small credit. Now the account is showing £2669.24 as they have added the final bill 30 times. The fun part will be if they try to collect that.

Can't see this company surviving long. Its a pity that OFFGEMs ineffectiveness is allowing them to inflict misery and worry on their customers.
    Originally posted by JenniferK
    I hope that you have downloaded all your previous bills and also copies of the previous account transactions.

We are in the process of moving from Iresa, so to be on the safe side I am taking screen shots of the account on a virtualy daily basis, just in case they start messing with the figures.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 15th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 1,524 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    We are in the process of moving from Iresa, so to be on the safe side I am taking screen shots of the account on a virtualy daily basis, just in case they start messing with the figures.
    Originally posted by ASavvyBuyer
    It's quite easy to "save" browser pages to local computer - just as quick as taking screen shots. (just make sure that all transactions are selected -click "100" at the top).

Question. If in credit at leave date, is it prudent to stop the Direct Debit or does that prevent credit pay back?
    Last edited by grumpycrab; 15-02-2018 at 9:45 AM.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 15th Feb 18, 9:45 AM
    • 17,921 Posts
    • 12,196 Thanks
    molerat
    Their interest calculation has gone loopy. My daughter has been running a credit of around £25 after billing. Interest has been around 15p per month, this month 47p ! I see a correction coming.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 15th Feb 18, 10:16 AM
    • 5,181 Posts
    • 3,176 Thanks
    Hengus
    Their interest calculation has gone loopy. My daughter has been running a credit of around £25 after billing. Interest has been around 15p per month, this month 47p ! I see a correction coming.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Not the only thing that has gone awry according to these latest TP reviews:

Quote Iresa's billing system has gone into melt down. I switched away in January. After switching they produced a final gas bill and I had a small credit. Now the account is showing £2669.24 as they have added the final bill 30 times. The fun part will be if they try to collect that. Unquote

Quote Probably the worst energy company I've ever dealt with!! No reply from email or tickets on the website ever! Stupid and ridiculously long ques on the telephone for customer service line Added over £2,600 in one month to my gas bill. Just stay away from them at all costs! Unquote

One wonders what Ofgem is actually doing about it? Perhaps MSE could find out.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 15th Feb 18, 10:27 AM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 1,524 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Sorry to repeat my question. I have a leaving date (today!) and will be in credit (both elec and gas); I've just received email of upcoming Direct Debit. Should I cancel it?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • tessiesmummy
    • By tessiesmummy 15th Feb 18, 10:42 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    tessiesmummy
    I HATE HATE HATE Scottish Power. My first problem was in 2009 when they billed me £1700 for 3 mo the gas and electricity on a 2 bed terraced house. I disputed it with no luck and still have the default for that one showing up on my credit report.

2nd time was when i moved in to my current house in 2012 the prepayment meters were already on Scottish Power so I just stuck with them and changed it over to my name. No problems until 2015 when I changed supplier then recieved a bill for £2000 for electricity from late 2013- early 2015 despite me being on prepayment meter. They said they never recieved payments for 18 months.

There were hundreds of phonecall and emails with no success and in the end I went to the ombudsman who decided in my favour (dec 2017) that Scottish Power should amend the account balance to £0 apologise and give me £50 compensation which they did.

That's not the end though, when i was having a skint week in January this year my electricity went off once again so I called my current supplier to see why it's costing so much and they made me aware that Scottish Power had applied a debt to my meter and had recovered £620 off me through that despite me never owing them anything.

Cue more emails and telephone conversations, this time their tactic was to act stupid and only discuss the ombudsman case which was solved before I realised about the meter. I've given up now. They can keep it. It's too stressful.

I'm with economy energy now they're fine. Never had any problems with British gas or utilita either.
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5789716 Debt Free Wannabe
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 15th Feb 18, 10:43 AM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    nickcc
    Also received direct debit email showing usual payment amount, to be collected on 20/2/18. It does state that this amount may change but they will advise me in advance. My switch is due to take place on the 18/2/18. This post is in reply to post 1733 and regards Iresa.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 15th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    • 4,695 Posts
    • 1,954 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Post # 1734 -should be moved to SP thread ??
    • tessiesmummy
    • By tessiesmummy 15th Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    tessiesmummy
    sorry brewerdave I've never even heard of iresa. Though it was a general feedback thread. sorry.
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5789716 Debt Free Wannabe
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 15th Feb 18, 10:55 AM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    poppellerant
    Sorry to repeat my question. I have a leaving date (today!) and will be in credit (both elec and gas); I've just received email of upcoming Direct Debit. Should I cancel it?
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    This post by Hengus, implies that you shouldn't - so I haven't and I'm very much in the same situation as you.
    FWIW, I wouldn’t give Iresa any reason to block your transfer of supply. That said, I had to threaten legal action to get my credit back. Best of luck.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 15th Feb 18, 10:57 AM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    poppellerant
    I HATE HATE HATE Scottish Power
    Originally posted by tessiesmummy
    You should post in this thread dedicated to feedback on Scottish Power.
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 15th Feb 18, 11:00 AM
    • 670 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    That's for you to decide. The usual advice is to keep a DD open until you recieve a refund or make the final payment.

With Iresa I would be in two minds if we were expecting to be much in credit on our final bill.

Fortunately, I know we will be in debit when they produce the final bill, as we will have used more electricity in February than our usual monthly payment and the account was only slightly in credit at the end of last month.

Hopefully, that will prompt them to produce the final bill a bit quicker than usual.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,292Posts Today

8,156Users online

Martin's Twitter