Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 11th Jun 16, 9:59 AM
    • 647Posts
    • 395Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa
    • 11th Jun 16, 9:59 AM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa 11th Jun 16 at 9:59 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Iresa

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-06-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Page 84
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 5th Feb 18, 9:22 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    nickcc
    Just checked my account and see that gas reading estimated for the last four months even though I submitted readings and received emails confirming this. Now find that my actual electric reading for end January is recorded but estimated reading has also been added after which is considerably higher than mine. Either a total load of amateurs or extremely corrupt.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 6th Feb 18, 8:28 AM
    • 4,691 Posts
    • 1,953 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Just checked my account and see that gas reading estimated for the last four months even though I submitted readings and received emails confirming this. Now find that my actual electric reading for end January is recorded but estimated reading has also been added after which is considerably higher than mine. Either a total load of amateurs or extremely corrupt.
    Originally posted by nickcc

Did you give them your reading on the 31st or slightly earlier?
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 6th Feb 18, 8:40 AM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    nickcc
    Gave my reading on the 27th, day after they emailed me asking for it. The date it was recorded on my account was the 28th then they put their own estimate in on the 31st ignoring my own recorded reading.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 6th Feb 18, 8:50 AM
    • 3,381 Posts
    • 1,524 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Gave my reading on the 27th, day after they emailed me asking for it. The date it was recorded on my account was the 28th then they put their own estimate in on the 31st ignoring my own recorded reading.
    They like to make readings up to the 31st. This was electric presumably.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 6th Feb 18, 9:11 AM
    • 4,691 Posts
    • 1,953 Thanks
    brewerdave
    They have been putting estimates in for the last day of the month since October. For my leccy only account,these estimates have been reasonably accurate ,slightly higher than the reading I gave them earlier in the month, as expected.
    In fact this month I actually checked and their estimate was only 1 kwh different from my actual reading on the morning of the 31st.
    On the Account charges page, they show a charge from the last day of the month.previous to my reading date, then a second charge to cover the extra couple of days til the 31st
    Not sure why they doing this as it only gives them a cash flow advantage the first time they do it.
    Last edited by brewerdave; 06-02-2018 at 9:14 AM.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 6th Feb 18, 10:06 AM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    nickcc
    They like to make readings up to the 31st. This was electric presumably.
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    Always accepted my electric readings before. Don't understand why they email asking for meter readings on the 27th if they want them month end. My reading was almost 200 lower than their estimate three days later which they obviously knew as they had entered my reading into their system. I expect their excuse will be that it's an automated system, I'd like to know who set the system up in the first place.
    • TricksterB
    • By TricksterB 6th Feb 18, 10:19 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TricksterB
    NO Issues with Iresa, 1st class
    I have just joined this forum because I switched to Iresa a year ago and have had NO issues at all. I see MSE suggesting caution, which is fair enough, but my experience has been First Class. Very smooth from Day 1 switchover, no billing problems, easy website to add meter readings, low tariffs. They generally underestimate if I miss a reading but the DD is fixed so it makes no difference until the contract expires. I have just renewed for a further year.
    • donerkebab
    • By donerkebab 6th Feb 18, 10:34 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    donerkebab
    I have just joined this forum because I switched to Iresa a year ago and have had NO issues at all. I see MSE suggesting caution, which is fair enough, but my experience has been First Class. Very smooth from Day 1 switchover, no billing problems, easy website to add meter readings, low tariffs. They generally underestimate if I miss a reading but the DD is fixed so it makes no difference until the contract expires. I have just renewed for a further year.
    Originally posted by TricksterB
    LOL just joined to praise Iresa - nice one Mr Oladeji

So my 1st year was generally fine apart from trying to get my DD lowered because it was much too high. 3 months to get it lowered.

Signed for 2nd year and now this meter reading rubbish starts. From arguments on Twitter - they insist on meter readings on last day of month - any reading given before are ignored (perhaps the Excel spreadsheet will crash if they tried to change the date). My counter argument is why waste time asking customers for readings if they will then ignore them. At least change the meter reading request emails to highlight the fact that unless reading submitted exactly on last day of month it will be ignored and inflated with their own estimate.
    And yes they bumped my DD up again so another 3 months to get it back down.
    It really is a case of you get what you paid for...but Big 6 or rubbish support
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 6th Feb 18, 10:52 AM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    nickcc
    What about the price increase at the end of your fix, or perhaps it didn't happen to you.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 6th Feb 18, 11:07 AM
    • 5,156 Posts
    • 3,155 Thanks
    Hengus
    ......if I miss a reading but the DD is fixed so it makes no difference until the contract expires. .
    If the the reviews on forums such as this; Trustpilot and Facebook, and reports in MSE; Utility Week and Which are to be believed (and the weight of evidence suggests they should be believed) then the monthly DD payment is anything but fixed. Please explain why you think it is? I suspect that there hasnít been a change to your DD payment as you switched to Iresa in the Spring and accrued a credit balance.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 6th Feb 18, 11:33 AM
    • 5,156 Posts
    • 3,155 Thanks
    Hengus
    Always accepted my electric readings before. Don't understand why they email asking for meter readings on the 27th if they want them month end. My reading was almost 200 lower than their estimate three days later which they obviously knew as they had entered my reading into their system. I expect their excuse will be that it's an automated system, I'd like to know who set the system up in the first place.
    I am frequently surprised that people just rollover and accept estimated readings on bills/statements when there is a specific Supply Licence Condition covering the use of actual/customer-provided readings for billing purposes:

Condition 21B. Billing based on meter readings

21B.1 If a Customer provides a meter reading to the licensee that the licensee considers reasonably accurate, or if the Gas Meter is read by the licensee, the licensee must take all reasonable steps to reflect the meter reading in the next Bill or statement of account sent to the Customer.

21B.2 If the licensee considers that a meter reading provided by a Customer is not reasonably accurate, the licensee must take all reasonable steps to contact the Customer to obtain a new meter reading from him.

I am with Zog and Bulb and both use the meter readings that I give them and both make it clear that they will contact me if they believe that I have provided an incorrect reading. FWiW, I gave Bulb a reading yesterday and monthly account was in my e-mail inbox this morning. Zog takes about a week to issue its monthly statement.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 6th Feb 18, 12:11 PM
    • 4,691 Posts
    • 1,953 Thanks
    brewerdave
    I am frequently surprised that people just rollover and accept estimated readings on bills/statements when there is a specific Supply Licence Condition covering the use of actual/customer-provided readings for billing purposes:

Condition 21B. Billing based on meter readings

21B.1 If a Customer provides a meter reading to the licensee that the licensee considers reasonably accurate, or if the Gas Meter is read by the licensee, the licensee must take all reasonable steps to reflect the meter reading in the next Bill or statement of account sent to the Customer.

21B.2 If the licensee considers that a meter reading provided by a Customer is not reasonably accurate, the licensee must take all reasonable steps to contact the Customer to obtain a new meter reading from him.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Spot on Hengus - I've held off complaining because a) the differences have been small and b) it hasn't triggered a change in DD. Fortunately didn't switch gas to them last February.
    I'm about to pull the trigger on renewing on their leccy fix for another year because it is still cheaper than all but OFTM - wonder if it will lead to an overinflated DD increase
    • Berwynview
    • By Berwynview 6th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Berwynview
    We've been with Iresa since last February with no problems so far....

However, we now want to switch our electricity account to Outfox the Market, and Iresa have objected to the switch as they say there is an outstanding debt. I understand that this is incorrect and the account is only in debit - we haven't been billed yet for this outstanding amount.

When we've switched supplier previously, the outstanding amount has been cleared (paid) once we've submitted a final reading.

Do I have to ring them up to get them to cancel this block and allow us to switch supplier or can I just transfer the amount they say is outstanding? If so, how do I find out where to transfer the money to, as I can only cancel the direct debit and not amend it.

I note that others have suggested using twitter to get them to respond but I don't currently have a twitter account - I could create one if you think that's the quickest way to get them to respond.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 6th Feb 18, 12:24 PM
    • 5,156 Posts
    • 3,155 Thanks
    Hengus
    We've been with Iresa since last February with no problems so far....

However, we now want to switch our electricity account to Outfox the Market, and Iresa have objected to the switch as they say there is an outstanding debt. I understand that this is incorrect and the account is only in debit - we haven't been billed yet for this outstanding amount.

When we've switched supplier previously, the outstanding amount has been cleared (paid) once we've submitted a final reading.

Do I have to ring them up to get them to cancel this block and allow us to switch supplier or can I just transfer the amount they say is outstanding? If so, how do I find out where to transfer the money to, as I can only cancel the direct debit and not amend it.

I note that others have suggested using twitter to get them to respond but I don't currently have a twitter account - I could create one if you think that's the quickest way to get them to respond.
    Originally posted by Berwynview
    I am rather surprised that with Ofgem looking over their shoulders that this is still going on. The Ofgem policy on debts was stated in a 2016 letter:

Debt objection letters must comply with SLC 14.9, including:

!!!61623; stating the ground for objection at the time of the switching request and, where this is because the customer is in debt, stating that the debt had been outstanding for 28 days or more since the customer was first informed about it in writing;

!!!61623; informing the customer of the amount of the outstanding debt as part of stating clearly how to resolve or dispute the objection;

!!!61623; providing energy efficiency and debt management advice and clear information about third party sources of help and advice including relevant contact details for those organisations; and

!!!61623; specifying an alternative, preferable tariff or payment method which would be available to that customer. In providing this information, it should be appropriate for, and bespoke to, the customer in question. Providing a link to generic tariff information on a website homepage, or an automated phone line, would not be sufficient.

My advice. Raise a formal written complaint. If necessary, send it by recorded letter. Point out that you believe that they are not complying with their Licence obligations. If you decide to e-mail it, then copy it to consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk

PS Sorry. This forum has started doing strange things to para numbers.
    • Berwynview
    • By Berwynview 6th Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Berwynview
    Thanks Hengus. Do I send the formal written complaint to Iresa and copy it to Ofgem?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 6th Feb 18, 12:39 PM
    • 5,156 Posts
    • 3,155 Thanks
    Hengus
    Thanks Hengus. Do I send the formal written complaint to Iresa and copy it to Ofgem?
    Originally posted by Berwynview
    Complain to Iresa. If you donít get any satisfaction then you can refer the complaint to The Energy Ombudsman. That might not help you get a quick fix, so you might have to try contacting them on the phone as well.
    • quiet advisor
    • By quiet advisor 6th Feb 18, 1:37 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 465 Thanks
    quiet advisor
    According to Consumer Complaints Handling Standards Regulations 2008, all suppliers must publish annually a consumer complaints report at a prominent location on their website (paragraph 12, page 8 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/1898/pdfs/uksi_20081898_en.pdf ).

Iresa is not publishing information so I raised with Ofgem who advise that they are aware that Iresa, together with some other suppliers, are not meeting the requirement. Ofgem did not tell me what they were doing about it.
    I've raised a formal complaint with Iresa so I can then raise formally with the EO in due course - I would encourgae others to complain formally as it appears to be the only way to get action.

It only confirms the previous comments about the lack of clear and coordinated responsibilities to ensure that the interests of energy customers are adequately protected.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 6th Feb 18, 2:24 PM
    • 5,156 Posts
    • 3,155 Thanks
    Hengus
    According to Consumer Complaints Handling Standards Regulations 2008, all suppliers must publish annually a consumer complaints report at a prominent location on their website (paragraph 12, page 8 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/1898/pdfs/uksi_20081898_en.pdf ).

Iresa is not publishing information so I raised with Ofgem who advise that they are aware that Iresa, together with some other suppliers, are not meeting the requirement. Ofgem did not tell me what they were doing about it.
    I've raised a formal complaint with Iresa so I can then raise formally with the EO in due course - I would encourgae others to complain formally as it appears to be the only way to get action.

It only confirms the previous comments about the lack of clear and coordinated responsibilities to ensure that the interests of energy customers are adequately protected.
    Originally posted by quiet advisor
    The Citizens Advice website does have complaint numbers for Iresa through until Summer 2017. If I recall, they were reporting over 1800 complaints per 100k customers: about 6 times more than the best performing supplier.

Edit:

Voila: (page 6)
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/policy/policy-research-topics/energy-policy-research-and-consultation-responses/energy-policy-research/domestic-complaints-handling-performance1/
    Last edited by Hengus; 06-02-2018 at 2:30 PM.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 6th Feb 18, 3:16 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    nickcc
    Complain to Iresa. If you donít get any satisfaction then you can refer the complaint to The Energy Ombudsman. That might not help you get a quick fix, so you might have to try contacting them on the phone as well.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    As mine and many other MSE members fix ends in March, and many are switching to another supplier as Iresa's charges will increase when the fix ends, it seems rather pointless to start involving the energy ombudsman at this stage.

I had no problem with Iresa until I decided to switch as the under estimate for their gas supply worked in my favour due to interest being paid on my overpayment, only now do I see a problem with their underestimate as this could delay my switch to my new supplier.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 6th Feb 18, 3:34 PM
    • 5,156 Posts
    • 3,155 Thanks
    Hengus
    As mine and many other MSE members fix ends in March, and many are switching to another supplier as Iresa's charges will increase when the fix ends, it seems rather pointless to start involving the energy ombudsman at this stage.

I had no problem with Iresa until I decided to switch as the under estimate for their gas supply worked in my favour due to interest being paid on my overpayment, only now do I see a problem with their underestimate as this could delay my switch to my new supplier.
    The point of lodging a complaint is two fold: one, it might result in a quick resolution and, two, it starts the 8 week countdown to Energy Ombudsman (EO) referral. Generally, most suppliers do take the number of complaints that they receive very seriously. The cost of an EO referral must always be a concern to small suppliers: win or lose, they pay the EO.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,603Posts Today

9,261Users online

Martin's Twitter