Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 11th Jun 16, 9:59 AM
    • 615Posts
    • 376Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa
    • 11th Jun 16, 9:59 AM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa 11th Jun 16 at 9:59 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Iresa

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-06-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Page 63
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 27th Sep 17, 2:52 PM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    m0bov
    I am in the same position as warwickbears. However I have not had any action from Iresa yet. I took screen shots, can't believe they hang on to your money and then nab the interest your owed!
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 28th Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    • 4,602 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    brewerdave
    I am in the same position as warwickbears. However I have not had any action from Iresa yet. I took screen shots, can't believe they hang on to your money and then nab the interest your owed!
    Originally posted by m0bov
    .....I suspect that you will find that interest is only paid on credit balances as long as you are a customer -have a good read of IRESA's ts & cs
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 28th Sep 17, 10:07 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Raxiel
    .....I suspect that you will find that interest is only paid on credit balances as long as you are a customer -have a good read of IRESA's ts & cs
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Indeed it does, T&C Clauses:

4.9 We will send you a bill in respect of each month of supply on the 10th working day of the following month. Our bill will set out:
    4.9 (b) the interest credits payable on your opening balance for the month of supply, calculated in accordance with clauses 4.11 to 4.14, shown as a credit;
    4.9 (f) your closing balance at the end of the month of supply reflecting all of the above.

(Emphasis theirs)

Whether they consistently manage 4.9 itself is another matter, but it doesn't invalidate the following terms.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 2nd Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    m0bov
    LOL, the EO contacted me to say how pleased they are that Iresa have resolved it with me. Thing is, they hav'nt!
    • nicholbb
    • By nicholbb 2nd Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    nicholbb
    My experience with them have been fairly smooth. The signup in Feb this year went along okay, there was a bit of a delay (couple of weeks) but nothing major from what I remember.
    There didn't seem to be a way to proportion my direct debit with them and as such I'm £50 in credit on one bill and £50 the other way on the other. As I get interest I've not bothered to rectify the situation and they've not chased me for it.

Their website did show that it was the budget end of the supply with it often failing to load pages or login on the first attempt. This has been much improved over the last few months and it's a lot more stable and offers some good features.

If another cheaper provider came along I'd switch but not desperate to do so at the moment. 8 out of 10.
    To do: budget, utilities, mobile, mortgage (contacted bank), credit card stooze/reward (forum advice scrapped 123), bank switch (unsolicited good advice), pension info
    • Halle71
    • By Halle71 3rd Oct 17, 12:16 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    Halle71
    We have been with Iresa since March but only looked at our online account recently as we are very economical with utilities and traditionally have low usage so nothing to be concerned about.

I was shocked to see that we are £300 in debit for electrictly.
    I knew there was a problem because I gave accurate usage estimates initially (probably actually overestimated) and our gas bill is £100 in credit which supports this.

Turns out it is my 'mistake' - I was asked for day and night readings and, because I literally didn't know what they were talking about (in 20 years of paying electricity bills I have only ever had one reading on my meter) I entered the same number for both so in their eyes ny usage is double what it should be I guess?

I have rasied a ticket and they keep asking for pictures of my meter which I have sent but three weeks later, still no real response.

Are these meters normal? Why isn't there an option with Iresa to enter details from a single reading meter? How did they get get two readings for my starting statement from British Gas? Am I going mad or am I really stupid?!
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 3rd Oct 17, 1:21 PM
    • 3,898 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    footyguy

Are these meters normal? Why isn't there an option with Iresa to enter details from a single reading meter? How did they get get two readings for my starting statement from British Gas? Am I going mad or am I really stupid?!
    Originally posted by Halle71
    Suppliers initially get the information from what you give them when you apply.
    But they also verify them with the meter reading agency.
    As you have a meter with 2 registries (E7 has day and low rates), at least based on the information Iresa received, that is why it is shown in your online account accordingly.

If the information suggested you had a single registry meter, then your online account would reflect that.

The information, including tariff details, would have been confirmed to you before Iresa started supplying you.
    • Halle71
    • By Halle71 3rd Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    Halle71
    I have had a reply from them:

We are aware of this issue and working towards a resolution. It affects a number of british gas meters, yours inclusive. We are discussing with our agents on how to resolve this and similar situations, we will get back to you as soon as we have an update. In the meantime, I will advise that you cease submitting the meter readings until the problem is fixed.

In the meantime I guess I will just wait and hope they can reduce my £300 debit.
    As I have paid £50 a month for electrictly since March, and have effectively doubled up on meter readings, this is pretty spot on for a £0 balance if they can sort it out.
    • pooch
    • By pooch 3rd Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    pooch
    LOL, the EO contacted me to say how pleased they are that Iresa have resolved it with me. Thing is, they hav'nt!
    Originally posted by m0bov
    Did the standard correspondence from the EO not continue...

If you have not accepted this resolution and you would like us to continue with an investigation please contact us within 14 days of the date of this correspondence explaining why you are unhappy with the offer made.
    I'd be very surprised if it didn't.
    • pooch
    • By pooch 3rd Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    pooch
    I have had a reply from them:

We are aware of this issue and working towards a resolution. It affects a number of british gas meters, yours inclusive. We are discussing with our agents on how to resolve this and similar situations, we will get back to you as soon as we have an update. In the meantime, I will advise that you cease submitting the meter readings until the problem is fixed.

In the meantime I guess I will just wait and hope they can reduce my £300 debit.
    As I have paid £50 a month for electrictly since March, and have effectively doubled up on meter readings, this is pretty spot on for a £0 balance if they can sort it out.
    A British Gas meter?

Are you talking about smart meters? You couldn't have had them for 20 years...

What tariff are you on?

2 meter readings means E7. One is for day reading and the other is for a reduced off peak reading.

If you only have a single mete reading (whicch you submitted twice) it won't half the bill, sorry, as half willonly have been charged at the lower rate.

Not wishing to make matters even worse, but for the vast majority of supply regions, the unit charge for Iresa make for day rate on E7 is less than the unit rate for the equivilent single rate tariff.
    On the plus side, you may benefit from a slightly lower standing charge if they are charging you E7 when you have a single rate meter.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 3rd Oct 17, 7:12 PM
    • 17,483 Posts
    • 11,717 Thanks
    molerat
    I don't think their computer can count, £84.48 credit balance minus £36.29 bill leaves £48.20
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Halle71
    • By Halle71 4th Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    Halle71
    Sorry - I meant that I have been reading meters in general, for 20 years. Different houses. And never come accross a mulit rate meter.
    It is a British Gas smart meter.
    They also have two readings as my starting readings which I did not give them and have no idea where they got them from. Luckily I have photos of the meter readings from then.

As long as they get it down by a significant amount I will be happy.
    • pooch
    • By pooch 4th Oct 17, 10:06 AM
    • 716 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    pooch
    Sorry - I meant that I have been reading meters in general, for 20 years. Different houses. And never come accross a mulit rate meter.
    It is a British Gas smart meter.
    They also have two readings as my starting readings which I did not give them and have no idea where they got them from. Luckily I have photos of the meter readings from then.

As long as they get it down by a significant amount I will be happy.
    Why did you not provide the new supplier, Iresa, with the start readings as they would have undoubtedly requested?

The meter readings would have been verified by the independent metering agency.
    Unless the meter readings are significantly different from those you claim they should have been, the only important thing is that the start reading used by Iresa is the same as the final meter reading used by your previous supplier.

If you moved into the property and Iresa were the existing supplier, the supplier would have used the outgoing meter readings as given by the previous account holder as the start readings in the absence of any information from you.
    • SnowMan
    • By SnowMan 5th Oct 17, 10:27 AM
    • 3,130 Posts
    • 5,797 Thanks
    SnowMan
    39 minus 12 = 26, according to IRESA
    I don't think their computer can count, £84.48 credit balance minus £36.29 bill leaves £48.20
    Originally posted by molerat
    Their computer definitely can't count.

On my transaction screen the balance is shown at one point as £39.28. A debit of £12 for electricity used comes next on their transaction list leaving the balance according to their computer as £26.28

If you cross-check against the actual bill the electricity used should be billed for £13, so it is the £12 figure that is wrong on the transaction screen, and the balance is right.

But it doesn't give you confidence in their systems.

Meanwhile into the 11th week with no refund of my £150 credit.

EDF (who I switched to) have now provided a second bill so they have both managed to bill me for the first 5 weeks of my supply based on the opening meter reading and now for the next month.

However IRESA claim not to have the opening electricity meter reading and have given no indication that they will either look for it in one of their filing cabinets where I presume it is kept, or ever chase EDF for it if they have misfiled it in F for frosty rather than S for snowman
    Last edited by SnowMan; 05-10-2017 at 1:34 PM.
    I came, I saw, I melted
    • Singerjulie
    • By Singerjulie 6th Oct 17, 1:20 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Singerjulie
    I switched easily on dual fuel, but my first electricity meter reading failed to show on my account and they estimated it instead, despite the fact that I have an email stating that they had received my readings, and several gas and electric readings have failed to show since. I've contacted Iresa about 12 times since April via their online ticketing portal, and each time my messages have been ignored, then marked as 'resolved' without any contact or resolution. I tweeted them today and finally got a response, simply to tell me that my latest reading had not been validated (although no explanation why) and that my complaints had been passed onto their complaints department. I'm doubtful I'll hear any more. Avoid this company. It has taken me 6 months to get (an unsatisfactory) response from them.
    • miniemma
    • By miniemma 7th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    miniemma
    I switched easily on dual fuel, but my first electricity meter reading failed to show on my account and they estimated it instead, despite the fact that I have an email stating that they had received my readings, and several gas and electric readings have failed to show since. I've contacted Iresa about 12 times since April via their online ticketing portal, and each time my messages have been ignored, then marked as 'resolved' without any contact or resolution. I tweeted them today and finally got a response, simply to tell me that my latest reading had not been validated (although no explanation why) and that my complaints had been passed onto their complaints department. I'm doubtful I'll hear any more. Avoid this company. It has taken me 6 months to get (an unsatisfactory) response from them.
    Originally posted by Singerjulie
    I'm in a very similar position. No electricity readings on my account. Ombudsman just keep giving them more time!

I rang Iresa's Data Collector (DC) Agent - SMS - who told me that they have nothing to validate against. They have not received any data from the previous Data Collector. This could either be the DC from my previous supplier (British Gas) or it could be a previous DC that Iresa had used.

SMS have asked Iresa to chase the previous DC and have also asked Iresa to supply a 'flow' - which is a non industry standard way of getting things moving on the validation without the previous data.

The one helpful person at the Ombudsman that I have spoken to did mention that he was aware of other issues with Iresa and Opening Readings.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 7th Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • 3,898 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    footyguy
    I'm in a very similar position. No electricity readings on my account. Ombudsman just keep giving them more time!

I rang Iresa's Data Collector (DC) Agent - SMS - who told me that they have nothing to validate against. They have not received any data from the previous Data Collector. This could either be the DC from my previous supplier (British Gas) or it could be a previous DC that Iresa had used.

SMS have asked Iresa to chase the previous DC and have also asked Iresa to supply a 'flow' - which is a non industry standard way of getting things moving on the validation without the previous data.

The one helpful person at the Ombudsman that I have spoken to did mention that he was aware of other issues with Iresa and Opening Readings.
    Originally posted by miniemma
    You would seem to have a perfect reason to complain to the ombudsman service for their own failure in service. i.e. causing unnecessary delays.

To complain to the EO, you must have first waited 8 weeks from lodging official complaint to the supplier (as I think it unlikley any supplier would have given you a deadlock letter before the 8 weeks were up, depending on how long the matter had gone on before you complained)

So that would be probably at least 3 months from the issue occurring
    i.e. 1 month after you submit the meter readings they were not there you filed a complaint, and then 2 months thereafter.

The EO typically takes about another 3 months to look at your complaint, so that would make a total of at least 6 months passing before your matter was even looked at.
    For the ombudsman to suggest you continue to allow the supplier more time, as you suggest, seems thay are causing unnecessary delays.

Here is how to complain about the OS
    https://www.ombudsman-services.org/for-consumers/service-standards

Iirc, it took about 3 months for Iresa to get oury opening meter reads verified.
    I wish it had taken longer, as no verified meter reads means no billing, and the credit accumulated was being being rewarded with 4.5% interest
    Last edited by footyguy; 07-10-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    • mikeesdeedee
    • By mikeesdeedee 9th Oct 17, 9:27 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    mikeesdeedee
    A quick summary of my experience with Iresa.

Basically ignore like the plague. Their customer service is terrible.

I transferred my gas and electricity account to them late Fed 2017.

Mid-March I was required to submit respective meter readings. But just coming back from my holiday I submitted two electricity meter readings in error.

I alerted Iresa very quickly to my error but they had already submitted the two readings. British Gas in closing my account took nearly £1,000 when in fact they owed us money.

Believing it would be a simple matter to get the meter reading changed nothing could be further from reality. Despite emails, leaving messages on my account and complaints, I could not catch Iresa's attention. I also tried calling but typically I was between 100th and 150th in the queue!

I also called British Gas but understandably they had to rely on an amended reading from Iresa which was never issued.

After eight weeks I engaged the Ombudsman who provisionally ruled in my favour.

I was staggered to find Iresa actually challenging the Ombudsman's determination on the flimsiest of technicalities, that we had not followed their complains procedure to the letter. A complaints procedure you can't find when you're in your Iresa on-line account.

The Onbudsman saw through that and I received a final determination.

On the very last day the Ombudsman gave Iresa they finally responded. However, by this point they were in breach as one of the conditions was they would issue an amended gas meter reading by 6th Septermber which they failed.

It's now 9th October and I've not had any updates to my on-line accounts, clearly indicating that they are not monitoring my account for a response - another breach of the Ombudsman's determination.

I've now back in touch with the Ombudsman having lost all confidence that Iresa can sort this out. I'm also going to take County Court action against Iresa provided the Ombudsman confirms this action will not prejudice any additional regulatory action they wish to take.

In summary - it's now seven months since I first notified Iresa that I'd submitted the wrong meter reading. I've always held my hands up that it was my fault initially. But the measure of a good company is how they respond to such events. And Iresa has pitifully failed at every level.

****AVOID****AVOID****AVOID****AVOID****AVOID****A VOID****AVOID****AVOID****AVOID****AVOI
    • SnowMan
    • By SnowMan 11th Oct 17, 6:12 PM
    • 3,130 Posts
    • 5,797 Thanks
    SnowMan
    OFGEM shut them down for goodness sake
    Into the 12th week since switching trying to get my credit back from IRESA.

IRESA have now sent me a message today to say they can't give me any timescale for providing a final bill and giving me my credit back.

IRESA are still claiming EDF haven't given them the opening meter reading. I told IRESA weeks ago that this was not the case and the agreed opening meter reading had been finalised.

IRESA have made no attempt so far to chase this up with EDF despite my requests for them to do this, but they are now saying they will chase it up with EDF, but I'm not sure I believe that.

Avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid
    I came, I saw, I melted
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 11th Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Seems to be a case of... if you haven't joined IRESA - DO NOT EVER DO IT - and if you're an existing subscriber - DO NOT EVER LEAVE THEM?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,227Posts Today

5,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin