Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 11th Jun 16, 9:59 AM
    • 604Posts
    • 369Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa
    • 11th Jun 16, 9:59 AM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa 11th Jun 16 at 9:59 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Iresa

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-06-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Page 42
    • icharus
    • By icharus 18th May 17, 5:18 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    icharus
    Iresa server problems yet again! I am currently getting the following message: The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 18th May 17, 9:57 PM
    • 16,728 Posts
    • 10,965 Thanks
    molerat
    Received an e-mail today with update to support ticket of 30th April. I went on supply 30th Jan.

Thank you for your mail. My apologies for the late response to your query.
    I can assure you that we are working on setting up your meter point which will be available on your account in due course.
    Your Electric meter readings submitted are logged and will appear on your account.
    In the mean time, kindly send your meter readings via email until such a time the meter point becomes available.
    I am sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

If you have any queries or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are happy to help you.

Kind regards,
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • youravinalarrrf
    • By youravinalarrrf 19th May 17, 8:25 AM
    • 284 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    youravinalarrrf
    I've now also involved Zog (as the winning supplier with lead responsibility for all aspects of the switching process) to try and get issue this resolved. Unsurprisingly Zog too cannot get anyone at Iresa to answer the phone so have ended up sending them an email which will no doubt be ignored just like all the rest! Zog also confirmed that the National Database shows them as being the gas supplier at my address since 4th May and confirmed that they provided Iresa with my final gas meter reading on the 4th May.

With no resolution from Iresa likely in the next few days I now have no option but to immediately cancel my direct debit at the bank to prevent paying two suppliers for the same gas and/or facing a long winded battle to get the overpayment refunded. EDIT: In view of icharus's comments above I may have to allow the direct debit payment to be made so Iresa don't object to my electric switch to E.ON and stop it completing.
    Originally posted by youravinalarrrf
    I received an email from Zog Energy yesterday telling me that they had finally managed to get someone at Iresa to answer the phone and that Iresa have now closed the gas account and have asked their billing department to raise a final statement.

Shortly after that I received an update from Iresa full of the usual BS excuses for their lack of any response being due to "
    a huge increase in the number of new customers recently" and telling me that "we are handling your issue with the utmost haste" and confirming that "it does appear that the energy transfer has gone through" but then stating that because it was so recent they cannot cancel the DD payment due on 22nd May.

All credit goes to Zog Energy for their perseverance and for managing to get this issue moving forward when all other attempts at communicating with Iresa had failed.

It remains to be seen what Iresa's idea of "utmost haste" actually means but I will be cancelling my direct debit after the payment on 22nd has been made as my electric transfers to E.ON on 1st June and I will be in credit for both gas and electric after this payment is made.
    • macman
    • By macman 19th May 17, 10:15 AM
    • 41,090 Posts
    • 16,845 Thanks
    macman
    molerat: I went on supply same date as you and have exactly the same issue-still no leccy meter meter point 14 weeks in. I received an email 2 weeks ago with basically the same platitudes. Since then, still no meter point.
    My outgoing supplier, E.On, say they are still unable to get a response in order to agree final readings.
    I have a couple of weeks to go and then I will escalate my complaint to the Ombudsman.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 19th May 17, 10:23 AM
    • 3,966 Posts
    • 2,228 Thanks
    Hengus
    molerat: I went on supply same date as you and have exactly the same issue-still no leccy meter meter point 14 weeks in. I received an email 2 weeks ago with basically the same platitudes. Since then, still no meter point.
    My outgoing supplier, E.On, say they are still unable to get a response in order to agree final readings.
    I have a couple of weeks to go and then I will escalate my complaint to the Ombudsman.
    Originally posted by macman
    Two months on since my complaint against Iresa was passed to The EO. I contacted them earlier this week and the response was that they have nothing to update me on, and they cannot say when they will make their report.

Personally, I would e-mail consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk pointing out what is going on, asserting that Iresa has breached its Supply Licence obligation to manage the transfer of supply.
    • icharus
    • By icharus 19th May 17, 10:46 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    icharus
    [QUOTE=Hengus;72571611]Two months on since my complaint against Iresa was passed to The EO. I contacted them earlier this week and the response was that they have nothing to update me on, and they cannot say when they will make their report.

Personally, I would e-mail consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk pointing out what is going on, asserting that Iresa has breached its Supply Licence obligation to manage the transfer of supply.[/QUOTE]

I contacted Ofgem and did exactly that yesterday. I also sent a complaint to Iresa marked urgent. As per their usual form I expect I will be waiting some time for a response.

With the negative comments on this site, Trustpilot, and from Energy Advisory Service UK, I wonder how much longer this company will be permitted to continue lke this!

It will probably take some media reporting before Ofgem will stir themselves!
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 19th May 17, 11:14 AM
    • 3,966 Posts
    • 2,228 Thanks
    Hengus
    It is worth noting that when GBEnergy became insolvent it had less than 20 employees who were dealing with over 150k customer accounts. The one thing, in my opinion, that GBEnergy couldn't be criticised for was its customer service and billing. The same cannot be said for Iresa.

Putting the CV issue to one side, my complaint - now 4 months old - was that Iresa had used an incorrect supply start date and meter reading for billing purposes. Any sensible manager would have taken the view that 5 minutes spent on a computer resolving the issue was an efficient use of time. Now they have the additional costs - time and £s - associated with having to deal with an Ombudsman.

It seems that little has changed in the 6 weeks on since they were been banned by Ofgem from taking on new customers. Indeed, I write and complain; they post it on my Support Page and then mark it as Resolved, so I write again, and so on.
    • icharus
    • By icharus 19th May 17, 11:49 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    icharus
    The number of negative online reviews would suggest that Ofgem is going to receive a substantial number of complaints once the 8 week waiting period expires!

iresa seem incapable of resolving their communication etc problems. I don't know whether this is a deliberate strategy, or they don't have sufficient resources and/or capable staff.
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 19th May 17, 12:41 PM
    • 938 Posts
    • 1,297 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    Despite a 'recruitment drive' when they were advertising for staff not so long ago, a post made a week ago, on a certain website already mentioned on this thread, suggests 15 members of staff were laid off overnight, and the owner isn't taking heed of advice?

If that truly is the case, customer service can only get worse and that could explain the lack of response to queries, etc?
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    • punamulta
    • By punamulta 19th May 17, 4:18 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    punamulta
    my switch away from IRESA to Npower is complete, cancelling my DD twice and switching away didn't prompt anything other than automatic responses, my IRESA electric meter point remains not set up, I think I've had a narrow escape and will watch developments with interest.
    • macman
    • By macman 19th May 17, 5:13 PM
    • 41,090 Posts
    • 16,845 Thanks
    macman
    Since they have now been banned from taking on new customers for more than a month, their cashflow is probably suffering now, given that sneaky habit of taking the first DD payment before switching is complete.
    Unless they've fired them all, they should have been able to put the sales and new account admin team onto sorting out the existing customers. The usual excuse of being 'swamped by new customers' just doesn't wash after all this time.
    I'm frankly not clear if Ofgem have actually imposed a ban, or whether they just leaned on Iresa to cease selling for now by threatening other sanctions. Either way, why have Ofgem never gone public on this? It's hardly a secret.
    Last edited by macman; 19-05-2017 at 5:17 PM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • zolablue25
    • By zolablue25 19th May 17, 7:26 PM
    • 1,497 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    zolablue25
    Oh dear. I have been with Iresa for a month having been with Avro for the previous 12 months. I'm still being billed by Avro despite also being billed by Iresa.

Reading through this thread it appears that I am in for a hell of a lot of hassle to get anything sorted out. Ofgem appears to be a waste of time.

Not really sure what is my best course of action? Am I best to just sign up with someone else and cancel my DD with Iresa whilst I'm only one payment down?

Thanks
    • youravinalarrrf
    • By youravinalarrrf 19th May 17, 7:58 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    youravinalarrrf
    Either way, why have Ofgem never gone public on this? It's hardly a secret.
    I would guess that Ofgem are playing politics and trying to cover their own @$$es and keep things behind closed doors.

Ofgem can't afford for another supplier to go bankrupt as the negative publicity associated with that happening could reflect very badly on Ofgem for not carrying out appropriate due diligence and financial checks before issuing the Operators Licenses allowing Iresa to sell energy to the British public.

I can't understand is why Ofgem haven't fined Iresa for non-compliance over the CV Value calculation issue. It's a clear cut case and evidence in the form of copy statements has been provided to Ofgem which proves beyond doubt that it has happened and is still continuing to happen.

This started out as a simple error which required a simple fix but after all this time Iresa are still continuing to breach the terms and condition of their Operators License and to date Iresa have changed nothing in order to comply.

Despite Ofgem being made aware of this error some 4 months ago and being provided with the necessary evidence they have chosen to take no action against Iresa and have made no public comment about it.

After this length of time with no action being taken most people would consider that Ofgem are now condoning what could possibly be seen as quite a large scale fraud. Even a modest guesstimate would put the value of it at around £175,000 per year but the true value could anything up to double that depending on the number of gas customers Iresa have.

It has been done in such a devious way that most customers will never even realise that they are being overcharged for their gas each month. Granted it's only by a very small amount each month but spread over a large number of customers it all adds up to a considerable sum of extra income for Iresa over a year.

The only reason the regulations covering this exist and specify exactly how the Calorific Value is to be calculated by all suppliers is to prevent this very thing happening.

The last 'official' mention of the CV Calculation issue being fixed was in a post by Hengus where Ofgem stated to him that Iresa had assured them the issue would be fully resolved by the end of April. Obviously given that we are nearly at the end of May this turned out to be another load of hogwash by Iresa.

I surprised that the press haven't picked up on this and started asking Ofgem some searching and possibly very embarrassing questions.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 19th May 17, 8:01 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,358 Thanks
    footyguy
    Oh dear. I have been with Iresa for a month having been with Avro for the previous 12 months. I'm still being billed by Avro despite also being billed by Iresa.

Reading through this thread it appears that I am in for a hell of a lot of hassle to get anything sorted out. Ofgem appears to be a waste of time.

Not really sure what is my best course of action? Am I best to just sign up with someone else and cancel my DD with Iresa whilst I'm only one payment down?

Thanks
    Originally posted by zolablue25
    Why would you want to move to a more expensive tariff???

But if you really do want to pay more for the same energy () at least you won't suffer any exit frees from Iresa, as they don't charge any!

If you are being billed by Avro, depite having been switched to the supplier of your choice, then your issue is with Avro. Follow their complaint procedure if necessary.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 19th May 17, 8:04 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,358 Thanks
    footyguy
    Since they have now been banned from taking on new customers....
    Source?

They are currently not taking on new customers, but I don't know of any source suggesting that was as a result of any ban.
    • ChaunceyGardiner
    • By ChaunceyGardiner 19th May 17, 9:13 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    ChaunceyGardiner
    Either way, why have Ofgem never gone public on this? It's hardly a secret.
    Politics, dear boy. We are weeks away from a general election. The (Conservative) incumbents will stop at nothing to prevent another, embarrassing failure of an energy supplier.
    • zolablue25
    • By zolablue25 20th May 17, 9:03 AM
    • 1,497 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    zolablue25
    Why would you want to move to a more expensive tariff???

But if you really do want to pay more for the same energy () at least you won't suffer any exit frees from Iresa, as they don't charge any!

If you are being billed by Avro, depite having been switched to the supplier of your choice, then your issue is with Avro. Follow their complaint procedure if necessary.
    Originally posted by footyguy
    I've just got a 12 month fixed electricity with Iresa (Flex 4) and it was definitely cheaper than Avro when I signed up to switch. I believe that Iresa has since increased its prices but I am on the older, cheaper tariff.

If I switch away from Iresa now I am worried that I will be paying 3 separate suppliers for a while. I will try and contact Avro but, helpfully (not!), they don't seem to want to offer telephone assistance to people that work for a living as they have no evening or weekend phone coverage.

Edit: Just done a search on MSE Energy club and I am on the cheapest fix available in my area. Interestingly, the Energy club comparison calculator can't find any tariffs from Iresa
    Last edited by zolablue25; 20-05-2017 at 9:10 AM. Reason: More inf
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 20th May 17, 9:26 AM
    • 3,966 Posts
    • 2,228 Thanks
    Hengus

Edit: Just done a search on MSE Energy club and I am on the cheapest fix available in my area. Interestingly, the Energy club comparison calculator can't find any tariffs from Iresa
    Iresa is not taking on new customers:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/04/13/uks-cheapest-energy-supplier-closes-doors-new-customers/
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 20th May 17, 9:38 AM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,358 Thanks
    footyguy
    I've just got a 12 month fixed electricity with Iresa (Flex 4) and it was definitely cheaper than Avro when I signed up to switch. I believe that Iresa has since increased its prices but I am on the older, cheaper tariff.

If I switch away from Iresa now I am worried that I will be paying 3 separate suppliers for a while. I will try and contact Avro but, helpfully (not!), they don't seem to want to offer telephone assistance to people that work for a living as they have no evening or weekend phone coverage.

No, Iresa have not increased their prices (yet)

But they are not accepting any new customers at present
    http://www.iresa.co.uk/not-taking-new-orders/

which is why they are not shown on the CEC at present
    Last edited by footyguy; 20-05-2017 at 9:44 AM.
    • icharus
    • By icharus 20th May 17, 10:09 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    icharus
    What can I do?

After approximately 3 months, I aranged to transfer from Iresa on 10 May. They objected to the switch without providing me with a reason, which I understand is in contravention of their licensing conditions. They have not responded to my e-mail headed 'urgent complaint' asking for an explanation. All bills are paid to date and I am in credit, and will be even more so after the next direct debit in 2 days time.

As everyone knows it is virtually impossible to make contact and get a satisfactory explanation by telephone.

They have effectively stalled my transfer. The receiving supplier say they can do nothing and I have to dialogue with Iresa!!! I am in NO Man's Land!

I have sent an e-mail to Ofgem re the breach in licensing conditions. Am I now locked in for the next 8 weeks, until I can initiate a formal complaint to Ofgem, and the time taken thereafter?

Will my transfer still go ahead if this company goes under in the interim?

Does anyone know of an MP interested in these energy industry problems?

Should I cancel my direct debit in 2 days time? I am worried about the implications of doing this.
    Last edited by icharus; 20-05-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,038Posts Today

7,332Users online

Martin's Twitter